Broward county sobriety checkpoints t...

Broward county sobriety checkpoints this week

There are 90 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Jun 17, 2009, titled Broward county sobriety checkpoints this week. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

Two Broward police departments will run sobriety checkpoints on major thoroughfares later this week, the Miami Herald reports.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

“what ,hey try this,ok done”

Since: Dec 06

south florida

#1 Jun 17, 2009
what ever happened to looking for impaired?and not stopping cars when there not doing anything wrong?so we have to void these spots so you dont have to sit in a traffic jam,waste gas and time ..the cops have always been very rude and mean when I have been stopped in those long lines..not thats its the cops fault its all the mean drivers in south florida
Non Committal

Pompano Beach, FL

#2 Jun 17, 2009
Hey, if I'm a celebrity will they give me a cold beer and send me on my way? I guess I'll just stay home till my 15 minutes of fame start.
Pizzel

Miami, FL

#3 Jun 17, 2009
If you are a rich Football player this does not apply. Go ahead and get drunk, kill someone and we will only give you 30 days.
Dagwood

Raleigh, NC

#4 Jun 17, 2009
Why would you tell people about those locations in advance? I would think the locations would be a secret so people wouldn't know to avoid them if they're hiding something.
boca raton

Cleveland, OH

#5 Jun 17, 2009
well i guess i know where not to drive this weekend
thanks COPs
abc

Stuart, FL

#6 Jun 17, 2009
yeah that crap sucks dont it, a average football reciever that wont even start on the dolphins gets away pretty easy with diu manslaughter. funny thing is if this was a cop, lawyer or even jugde they would get a tougher penalty & their the law right. people need to chill out behind the wheel regardless. be safe
alex

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#7 Jun 17, 2009
how stupid is this,telling people where the police are going to be.take a few drinks and go around the corner, where the police aren't. oh boy

“what ,hey try this,ok done”

south florida

#8 Jun 17, 2009
Dagwood wrote:
Why would you tell people about those locations in advance? I would think the locations would be a secret so people wouldn't know to avoid them if they're hiding something.
these are just the sideline joke,all cops driving around 24/7will bust all people that smell of beer.wine.ect..here in south florida dont even think about driving after drinking period.

United States

#9 Jun 17, 2009
I thought this type of random harassment was judged to be unconstitutional a few years ago. Are we going to start having random searches of our homes too?
come on

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#10 Jun 17, 2009
Dagwood wrote:
They're required to by law. There was a battle sometime ago about constitutional rights to random search and if DUI check points violate your rights--they decided the police needed to publish the info ahead of time and stop cars in regular intervals. Google it for details. One problem is that the court decision does not say how far ahead of time they need to publish the information so police often publish it an hour or two before they start the check point--and they publish it on their website (that no one really looks at).
FLPD

Saint Petersburg, FL

#11 Jun 17, 2009
Alex, do your research before you speak. BY LAW, police must advertise sobriety check points. If it wasn't mandated, we wouldn't be telling people.
alex wrote:
how stupid is this,telling people where the police are going to be.take a few drinks and go around the corner, where the police aren't. oh boy
Redneck

Stuart, FL

#12 Jun 17, 2009
Thanks for the tip, I'll be heading the other way. I hear it is going to be good drinking and driving weather this weekend in Broward!
Nostrildamus

Newport, RI

#13 Jun 17, 2009
Wow, tell everyone where you're going to be! Good idea! Hey, I'm going to see if Stallworth wants to party this weekend!
Gimme a Break

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#14 Jun 17, 2009
They are looking for under age drinkers, they arrest them even if they're not over the drinking limit, the drinking age sould be 18 period. this is unfair for young aduls. Old enoug to vote and die for your country old enough to drink.
Bud Lite

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#15 Jun 17, 2009
Here we go some more (again). Another tragic incident involving auto vehicles.
Matt

Boca Raton, FL

#16 Jun 17, 2009
So if your drinking stay away from these 2 spots.......
Pete

Bronx, NY

#17 Jun 17, 2009
Why the heck are they saying where the checkpoints wil be?? Your tax dollars hard at work?
Kilroy

Pompano Beach, FL

#18 Jun 17, 2009
checkpoint charlie. papers please.
Change I can believe in...
Nick

Pompano Beach, FL

#19 Jun 17, 2009
Remember, Kids...it's toally allowable to make a legal U turn to avoid a random traffic stop...so this seems like an exercise in futility.
flopo

Pompano Beach, FL

#20 Jun 17, 2009
they assume only the non-ignorant drunks will read paper/net to check for sobriety checkpoints....cops aren't worried about them...it's those ignorant drunks you gotta be on the lookout for!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Miami Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mass murder (Dec '10) Mon Theodore 91
Adam the Macho Lifeguard to Play "Dick Gino Col... Aug 13 Wheelchair Wave R... 1
News They insulted each other on the campaign trail,... Aug 12 guest 5
Here comes Cutler Aug 10 Ricardo montobomb 3
Who knows Lisa Martin Aug 8 White pride 4
attended five phish concerts at msq this week Aug 8 ADAM THE MACHO LI... 3
News Cubans in Miami Celebrate News of Fidel Castro'... (Aug '06) Aug 5 Were just afraid 2,063

Miami Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Miami Mortgages