Recipe for BBQ Kwiki's (served at Dairy Pride)

Posted in the Mexico Forum

Disenfranchised

United States

#1 Nov 28, 2010
Dry mix for the batter
Combine:
10 cups flours
4 cups white cornmeal
1 2/3 Tbs baking powder
1 1/2 tbs salt

Kwiki sauce
Combine:
one 16 oz bottle ketchup
one 24 oz bottle Maul's Original bbq sauce
1/4 cups packed brown sugar
salt and pepper to taste

Batter
Combine:
3 cups of the dry mix
1 egg
14-16 oz milk
Batter should be the consistency of pancake batter.

Put all beef hotdog on a stick and dip it in the batter and deep fry in oil heated to around 350 degrees until golden brown.
Best served immediately with sauce.
Brain Storm

Columbia, MO

#2 Nov 28, 2010
Thanks for the recipe! I have been graving those ever since Dairy Pride closed. Think that I will make some tomorrow!
right here

Marthasville, MO

#3 Nov 29, 2010
my wife went nuts when i told her i got the recipe for kwiki's. she grew up on them.
Disenfranchised

United States

#4 Nov 29, 2010
They will bring back memories of that wonderful place. We tried using more expensive hot dogs, but they plump up too much and the coating falls off, so just go with cheap all-beef franks.
Sorryforthis

Fulton, MO

#5 Dec 29, 2010
That reciepe is close but not correct, my mother who was the last owner of the Dairy Pride has the original recipe from the original owners and was sworn to secrecy of the recipe not even my brother and I can have it until she passes. I will say that this one posted (that Darbys and the newly closed golf course that closed, made)is very close, there is a difference in the consistancy batter and taste
anyone that worked there

Atmore, AL

#6 Jan 2, 2011
I actually worked there when they first opened up and I know the receipe as well. The actually bbq receipe above is a little different as well. But similiar.
LeapinLizards

Acworth, GA

#7 Jun 26, 2011
Close enough for me. Will let you know how it compares to my last memory of the place. How bout the Pride burger. I was great too! Any specials fix'ins with it. Seems I remember shredded lettuce.
YUM

Saint George, UT

#8 Jun 26, 2011
YUMMO!
TerryGailFerrier Littrell

United States

#9 Aug 1, 2011
I grew up when a quarter would get me a soda + Bar-B-Que Kwiki. Pawnee Lynn Talley's Mom worked w/owners + Malto Meal Cereal was an ingredient in the original recipe!
Disenfranchised

Eureka, MO

#10 Aug 1, 2011
I'd like to apologize to the original owners, or whomever was sworn to secrecy, but we made these for my Dad (he was a a Kwiki addict back in the day) and he was transported back in time. I, too, remember the little pieces of crispy batter that clung to the fried, saucy hotdog; dipping in the pool of sauce; and I remember the scale/fortune-telling machine at the Dairy Pride. The recipe may not be exactly what was served, but it will certainly taste similar.

I can't speak for anyone else, but what's the purpose of keeping a recipe such a secret, when other people could enjoy it, or you could possibly even make some money from it? Corn dogs SUCK! Kwiki's were heaven in a little red and white cardboard tray, and we, the people, want the real thing! For all you who know someone with the secret recipe, PLEASE, share it or sell it, so it doesn't die.
John g

Provo, UT

#11 Jan 27, 2012
I lived about two blocks from the Dairy Price on Wade Street. My Grandfather knew J.E. Gibson very well and I was around J.E. on many occasions and later worked on his car when I was a mechanic. He told me once that he hope that the francise would be sold to someone that would keep kwikis alive forever. Too bad that no one has keep it going. Maybe the owner of the recipe should sell the recipe on line. It is far to good to just disappear
AbbeyRoad1969

Wichita, KS

#12 Jun 13, 2012
Kwiki's were awesome, I rememebr stopping there after Kourey League baseball in Mexico & having a couple of them after with a shake. Yum!!
Jess

Mexico, MO

#13 Aug 18, 2012
who posted this?
Raymond Hickey

Saint Petersburg, FL

#14 Apr 6, 2013
In 1952 I bought a franchise to buy Kwiki mixture for hot dogs. I got a cooker,sticks and the sleeve to serve them in. I was the first FROSTOP ROOT BEER DRIVE INN IN INDIANA LOCATED IN Petersburg Indiana. I took my Dog House to the local fair and sold 5000 Kwiki Dogs In 3 days at 25 cents each. I sold thousands over the next 5 years. Never have I found any corn dog to compare. I wish I could still buy the original mixture.
Kathie M Bierly

Saint Peters, MO

#15 Apr 21, 2013
My grandparents were the original owners of Dairy Pride-Marion and Dora Boulware-kept it all secret-the bbq sauce was my grandmothers recipe-after my grandfathers death in the 1959-it was sold to Monglers and then Gibsons-none of us have the recipe-but know that the hot dog had to be skinny all-beef dogs-made the recipe as listed-not quite-bbq sauce way off-no bbq sauce in her recipe-but did use brown sugar and dried mustard.
Zach

Orlando, FL

#16 Nov 17, 2013
I was the the kid who made the Mexico Ledger in the early 80's for eating a boat load of those addictive Kwiki's. A source of pride for my grandmother and the Kallenbach Clan. I believe it was a record at the time. If not, just let me go on believing that, please! I truly loved that place and am saddened to this day that it's not around. After all these decades, I can literally still taste them if I try! Thank you to those individuals and families that kept it going for the time it was around. I've done several useless searches over the years on "corn dogs and BBQ sauce" - nothing. I google the obvious (tonight while reminiscing with my wife) "dairy pride" and presto! Thank you for the recipe, even if it's perfect. I'm going to show these Floridians a little of my MO pride (that is, if I can duplicate the above recipe and that's a big if - my wife is leaving this one up to me!)
Cindy

United States

#17 Jan 19, 2014
I also remember Dairy Pride...on our way home from school Fridays our bus driver Elmer use to stop to let us get a treat...still remember the taste and texture of the Kwiki...after they closed (VERY sad day!) when I came to visit I would place an order at Darby's to bring home the Kwiki to share with my friends...have tried to make them but the above posts are correct...I still haven't found "the secret"...
Cindy

United States

#18 Jan 19, 2014
Sorry...my comment posted a few times :)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mexico Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
MO Ferguson Police Chief Just Shocked Everyone Wit... 9 min mjjcpa 435
MO Ferguson Police Are Being Relieved Of Their Dut... 30 min OEM Oasis 2,697
MO Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Missouri ... (Oct '10) 2 hr Yellow Dawg Democrat 96,916
weird smell in the air Mon Sirsplifford 2
Review: Pleasant Grove Church Sep 15 littlenana 1
David Nichols Sep 13 Damaged 1
MO Missouri Proposition B: The Puppy Mill Bill (Oct '10) Sep 12 grave digger 6,936
•••
Mexico Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Mexico Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Mexico People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••