First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Charlie Medina

Arvada, CO

#86 Jan 18, 2014
Just stumbled on to this site. My brother Manual Medina was killed on this flight. He was in the Army at the time and headed home to Colorado before going to Viet Nam. He was seated with another soldier from the same small town in Colorado (Lamar, Colorado). Manual was 20 on that day. He would have been 21 on the 26th of May. Hard to believe he would be 67 today. I remember that night clearly. Early the next day, Saturday, I woke up early to travel about 100 miles with my high school baseball team. When I returned home later that evening and walked into my house the front room was filled with our neighbors. I walked straight through our house to my room and laid on my bed and cried. I instinctively knew what had happen. My brother and I were very close. I've been to the crash site once a year after the crash and would like to travel there again. Is there a memorial gathering at the site on May 3?
Diane V

Plano, TX

#87 Jan 20, 2014
Charlie,
To answer your question I am not aware of any organized memorial gathering. The 3rd falls on a Saturday this year. That is good for people who can travel on the weekends. However, the time I went was a week day and it was nice to see the plaque and talk to the people who worked at the City of Dawson office across from the old high school gym.
Brian Llewellyn

Houston, TX

#88 Mar 4, 2014
As with many of you, my father was on this flight. I've visited the site, and the memorial in Dawson previously, but will be taking my mother there for the first time this coming Friday. Is anyone aware of a fund in Dawson to ensure the memorial upkeep? Flowers, flag, etc. I'd certainly be willing to contribute if there is one. Who currently maintains the memorial and the park? Thanks.
Reyna Moore

Houston, TX

#89 Mar 4, 2014
Well I have suffered in a different way but far less painful. I once innocent saw your loved ones fall from the sky in a blaze of glory for not only who they were but for you, their life and loved ones that they left behind. I'm crying as I write this note as it still is very sad for me. Love you all!
Reyna Moore

Houston, TX

#90 Mar 4, 2014
Not a lot of places to stay but I welcome my property nearby on the old Britt Dawson estate which is near where they fell. Bring your tents, your family and I will do what I can to get you even closer on these sacred grounds. I can only promise you my property for free but will do my best to talk to the actual owner not sure who that may be right now.
Renee Moore
Wj Moore daughter
Cindy Harris

Little Rock, AR

#91 Mar 13, 2014
I would like to try to gather children of this crash for a "reunion" of sorts in Dawson Texas. We could all meet there and visit the site. what do y'all think?... Cindy McGaughy Harris , daughter of Hugh h. McGaughy .
Diane V

Plano, TX

#92 Mar 14, 2014
Brian,
I hope you have the chance to take your mom to the town of Dawson. My mother and I found it comforting to know how the town cared so much about us, our loved ones and our loss.

Reyna,
Thank you for sharing your story and your generous offer.

Cindy,
That is a great idea though it might be like herding cats. I would like my sisters and brother to go soon.

Daniel Owen

Hewitt, TX

#93 Apr 20, 2014
Just stumbled across this, and wanted to share with you all a piece of the continuing history of that event.
My grandfather was a chemical salesman at the time, and was called to the makeshift morgue/gym, to spray the premises with sanitizers etc.
That experience change his life forever and led him to The Lord. He went on to raise four sons, three of which are now Pastors.
Our family now numbers close to a hundred souls, who can all trace their roots in Christianity back to that day.
May 3rd has been a day dear to me, as well. Accidentally, or Divine, my birthday is May 3rd, and this coming May 3rd is the day I chose to get married.
As I wrote my wedding vows, I found myself thinking about how much that Sunday in May, all those years ago, is still effecting and changing lives today. I will be sending thoughts of peace to you and remembrance of those who lost their lives that day.

God bless you all, and I hope someone will be blessed to read about how the that tragedy is being remembered even now.
LElizK

Boston, MA

#94 May 5, 2014
Cindy wrote:
My family and I are going to Dawson this Saturday. My father was also killed in this crash. Joelle, how was your trip?
Hi Cindy,
First, I'm very sorry about your father. My grandfather was also on this plane. He died when my mom was a child, so I never met him, but I have recently wanted to learn more about him and the other victims of this crash. I know your post was from 2009, so I'm not sure you will ever see this, but I'm originally from Fort Smith, and I will be home for the summer. If you are still in the Fort Smith area, it would be nice to meet you and hear your story.
Lawrence
Donny

Schenectady, NY

#95 Jul 30, 2014
My dad was on that flight - he had switched tickets with a co-worker who was not feeling well. I was nine when my dad, William, was killed. My mom uprooted us and moved us to Long Island NY - culture shock on top of the loss made life difficult - to this day I still get angry knowing that idiot pilot ignored all warnings and flew into the storm - rumor was he had been drinking - the rage is gone but the heartbreak remains. Thanks to all who post on this site
Donny

Schenectady, NY

#96 Jul 30, 2014
Diane V wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you have a brother named Bill? I think I was in his class in Barton Elementary.(Ms. Jackson)
I think your family left Texas shortly after the accident.
yes Diane V I did and we did leave for NY shortly after big mistake on top of tragedy sorry I never checked back after my post till today hope you are well. Donny
Bruce Wilson

Tulsa, OK

#97 Tuesday Apr 21
Sue Ellen Fisher wrote:
My mother, Sally Wright, died in that crash. I was sixteen at the time. It would be helpful to share with other children survivors. Yes, it has been many years, but still seems like yesterday. My father was being transferred by DuPont from Orange, Texas to Tulsa, Oklahoma. My Mother was flying (her first time to fly) to Tulsa to meet my Father about house selections. My sister, brother, and myself were home. I remember the phone call. I answered, Dad said, "Did your Mom catch the flight today?", I answered "Yes, as far as I know." He then asked to speak to my older sister. The rest of the night was waiting to hear what happened, our house somehow filled with people, some of it is so clear and other parts are lost forever. A relative was a Texas Ranger and went to the sight to help. I remember hearing descriptions from another room that were not meant for my ears, I will never forget those details. Life changed so much after that. My Father took the transfer to Tulsa and we moved shortly after the funeral. Away from friends and family. I will always wonder why DuPont allowed that. So many memories that sometimes keep me stuck on that night in May, 1968. Thank you for any response.
I always think about you and how terrible I felt for taking you to that movie in 1970. I did not know about your mother

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mexia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) 8 hr Sniffers 647
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) 8 hr Release farts 830
Info on AD Mar '15 Hope 1
Keith henderson Feb '15 Batman 3
any information on jason doss Jan '15 Watch this 1
EX- Coolidge Police Chief and his dad sue TABC ... (Apr '11) Jan '15 Jason 4 Attorney ... 3
cossacks mc Dec '14 pete 1
More from around the web

Mexia People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]