Braniff Plane Crash 5/3/68
Dana Tsukifuji

Albuquerque, NM

#66 Jul 25, 2012
I just stumbled on to this site. My mother, Lou Ellen Currier, was killed on this flight. I was eight, my sisters were 4 and 9. My mother was a R.N. and a single parent. I don't remember much about this time period, as we moved to San Antonio and were raised by my father, Neal H. Tsukifuji,M.D. and my step mother, Billie Tsukifuji. I guess I was not old enough, or felt uncomfortable asking questions and they never brought up the subject...I am guessing, to protect us from the pain of losing our mother. I think about my mother's death often and have so many questions that I fear will never be answered as my father and stepmother passed away this year in May, one day apart from each other, May 9 & 10, so close to May 3...
Diane V

United States

#67 Jul 26, 2012
Welcome to the site Dana. I think we all feel like you do. There was never much closure for our family to have a loved one die this way. It stays with you always.
Linda W

Houston, TX

#68 Sep 26, 2012
My mother's coffin was on this plane. I have read reports (Corsicana paper) that a coffin with a Vietnam vet was on the plane..maybe?...if so - there were two coffins. My mom was being transported to Tulsa for burial. She had died the day before of breast cancer. No matter that she was already gone...the crash was devastating to my family. My memory is clear on receiving the news...I was 12 and on route to Oklahoma, by car with my father. We made a phone call in Denton to a family member and was given the news. Recently my dad died....this horrific day came back to me I was reading letters he had written to Braniff. In the correspondence he was trying to collect the money he was promised for a new coffin. I wrote the paper telling them of the error of their reporting. Have heard nothing....not really a reason to make it correct...I know as, it was a very long time ago. Blessings to each of you...
Diane V

United States

#69 Sep 28, 2012
Linda, thank you for sharing your story and placing another face on a tragic event we all share.

Schenectady, NY

#70 Apr 25, 2013
My dad William McPherson was also on this ill fated flight - gods cruel joke he had switched tickets with a co-worker who was not feeling well. I still miss him to this day
Diane V

Sachse, TX

#71 Apr 25, 2013
Donny wrote:
My dad William McPherson was also on this ill fated flight - gods cruel joke he had switched tickets with a co-worker who was not feeling well. I still miss him to this day
Did you have a brother named Bill? I think I was in his class in Barton Elementary.(Ms. Jackson)
I think your family left Texas shortly after the accident.

Dallas, TX

#72 Apr 25, 2013
I don't believe there were two caskets. My father told me when he worked the site there was one casket and that it was the only thing that was still intact in the wreckage. He said the casket landed in the creek bed and since the dirt was soft that it appeared to have a soft landing. While it may not be accurate, he believed your mother was the only person that remained intact. You have probably seen it, but the receipt for your mother's transportation is on the following website:

My sympathies regarding your mother. My mother also died of breast cancer.
Doug Williams

Houston, TX

#73 May 3, 2013
Thinking of everyone today, May 3, 2013. It's been 45 years, and we will never forget.
Diane V

United States

#74 May 3, 2013
Yep....somber day as usual. My mother won't even go out of the house on this day.
Dona jones

United States

#75 May 3, 2013
Love to you all today and prayers to each of you ........<3
David Antich

Houston, TX

#76 Jul 27, 2013
Yes it is amazing that it has been over 45 years now! I still believe that there was an explosion, just the fact that they recovered parts from the plane 20 years later, 5 miles away,that originally were said to have already been recovered at the crash scene is proof to me that something was covered up.

But if it is true that there was an explosion, that instantly killed all on board, I find that somewhat comforting!
Diane V wrote:
Yep....somber day as usual. My mother won't even go out of the house on this day.
Alice M Gatlin

Houston, TX

#77 Sep 1, 2013
I found this site today - still looking for answers. My mother, Lula Elizabeth McBee, was on the flight - and my heart still breaks remembering her walk out to that plane. I will always be thankful her death was instaneous.
For years I harbored very strong feelings about the pilot who (according to the NTSB) made the decision to fly into the storm. I still pray that God and the pilot will forgive my hate for the man I held accountable for mother's death.
Having been an Army brat, I believe in the military, always have and always will! But the thing I can't forgive is that the military put the C4 on a passenger plane. But I have been told it was common practice.
I will never understand it - but have peace now knowing my mother and father are together and happy.
I have never been to the Dawson memorial but hope to soon. I thank the people of that tiny town for acknowledging our loss.
My anchor in this emotional storm is the old gospel hymn - "We'll understand it all by and by".
May God keep all who shared this horrible loss!
Lori Pittard

Abilene, TX

#78 Sep 4, 2013
My grandmother and grandfather were both on this flight, Dr. and Mrs. Knox Pittard.
Reyna Moore

Houston, TX

#79 Sep 4, 2013
I posted a few years ago as a witness to the crash. I want to correct an incorrect a statement I made. The engine noice was extremely loud going over my house. When the plane crashed all I heard was silence and a red flash. Very sad..
Alice M Gatlin

Houston, TX

#80 Sep 4, 2013
Can anyone confirm (proven fact) that the plane was buried where it crashed? If so, what was the explanation given and by whom? I thought it was S.O.P. that all parts of a downed airplane were collected and transported to be re-assembled.

Dallas, TX

#81 Sep 4, 2013
While I have never been to the crash site, my father followed the situation for years after we moved.(He worked the original crash site.) It is buried there. That is one of the mysteries. There must have been a reason why they didn't transport it. My father believed either it was too volatile still or that it was a health hazard due to chemicals or explosives on board. No one has ever been able to confirm what was in the crates picked up in Houston.

Sadly a huge number of the passengers on board had been at a medical convention in Houston. I had the opportunity to visit with a doctor who decided to take a different flight many years later. The loss of talent and skill on board that plane was unbelievable. There were several surgeons that presented at the conference on board the flight who were ready to begin heart transplants. This plane crash set back the first human heart transplant several years.

Dallas, TX

#82 Sep 4, 2013
My last post was not quite accurate. There were transplants, but the field of study and success rate were delayed.
Diane V

Dallas, TX

#83 Sep 5, 2013
I want to thank David Ellis for starting this shared site. I also want to thank everyone who has contributed to it.
This site has enabled me to get to know about the other people who were on board with my father and that has helped me feel less alone in this experience.
Who Dun It

Tallahassee, FL

#84 Sep 23, 2013
Enrique wrote:
<quoted text>
Will do thanks
i' I am certain, knowing human nature, the buzzards were circling the courthouse very soon thereafter to get the lawsuits going
Sue Ellen Fisher

Indio, CA

#85 Jan 9, 2014
My mother, Sally Wright, died in that crash. I was sixteen at the time. It would be helpful to share with other children survivors. Yes, it has been many years, but still seems like yesterday. My father was being transferred by DuPont from Orange, Texas to Tulsa, Oklahoma. My Mother was flying (her first time to fly) to Tulsa to meet my Father about house selections. My sister, brother, and myself were home. I remember the phone call. I answered, Dad said, "Did your Mom catch the flight today?", I answered "Yes, as far as I know." He then asked to speak to my older sister. The rest of the night was waiting to hear what happened, our house somehow filled with people, some of it is so clear and other parts are lost forever. A relative was a Texas Ranger and went to the sight to help. I remember hearing descriptions from another room that were not meant for my ears, I will never forget those details. Life changed so much after that. My Father took the transfer to Tulsa and we moved shortly after the funeral. Away from friends and family. I will always wonder why DuPont allowed that. So many memories that sometimes keep me stuck on that night in May, 1968. Thank you for any response.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mexia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Jun 13 robert 994
News Weird 9 mins ago 9:26 p.m.Stoned man calls poli... Jun 5 Christaliban 6
New construction Mar '16 Meme 1
Watson's Mar '16 Lucky21 1
Poll What bar do you prefer? Feb '16 Just Wondering 101 0
News Police News: Mexia police investigating homicide (May '07) Nov '15 JUSTICE FOR CHAMP 4
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Texas (Dis... (Oct '10) Oct '15 anon 18

Mexia Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Mexia Mortgages