Braniff Plane Crash 5/3/68

Posted in the Mexia Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
David Ellis

Saint Paul, MN

#1 Oct 15, 2008
My Dad Died on the Braniff Lockheed Electra on May 3, 1968. Anyone out there live in Dawson, Tx. at that time?
David T. Ellis

dtellis@mmm.com
Frank

Huntington, TX

#2 Oct 27, 2008
Hi David,
I'm sorry to hear your Dad was one of the victims.
I didn't live in Dawson But I do recall the night it happened.Real bad weather, stormy early evening.Me and several others drove over to Dawson to see if we could help. They turned us away at the gate going out in the field where the accident occurred. I remember the rescuers using the Dawson (old one now) Gym to take the bodies. I had played basketball in there many times. As long as I live I will remember that tragic night.
Diane V

Plano, TX

#3 Nov 7, 2008
David,
My father was killed on that flight too.
It has been 40 years but still feels like yesterday. I often sweep the internet to see if there is any new news about it. There seems to be some controversy on what "really" happened. I am planning on taking my 86 year old mother to the site. I have never been there and can't imagine what the emotions will be. When I make it I will say a prayer for us all.
Good Luck in your quest.
DV
Betty

United States

#4 Dec 16, 2008
David Ellis wrote:
My Dad Died on the Braniff Lockheed Electra on May 3, 1968. Anyone out there live in Dawson, Tx. at that time?
David T. Ellis
dtellis@mmm.com
David, I did not live in Dawson at the time of the plane crash but my parents did. I was there at the time of the crash as I was attending a funeral. My mom wrote about it and I have the article if you would like a copy. It is entitled, "Darnkess Over Dawson". You can reach me at piedpiper2006@hotmail.com. I remember all about it and if you wish, I can describe. It isn't pretty. betty
Martin P

AOL

#5 Dec 17, 2008
My father also passed away on that flight.
I recently lost my mother, and we went back to
Michigan to put her to rest with my dad.
Our family had just moved from Michigan
to Houston in 1968. My mom raised all 5 of us
alone. I feel your pain. His name is
Edward L. Pitts
3-31-1936 5-03-1968
Lisa C

Grand Prairie, TX

#6 Jan 20, 2009
I remember that night. I was driving home from chruch and asked her if lightening ever struck a plane and that was the night the Braniff crashed. I remember how dark the sky was. What was your dad's name?
jerred

Waco, TX

#7 Feb 4, 2009
i live in dawson now and its a very sad site my step mom was alive when this happen
Bob Besecker

Douglassville, PA

#8 Feb 8, 2009
I was a Company Operations Sergeant with the 518th Military Police Battalion based at Fort Hood TX. Shortly after the crash we were tasked with providing security in and around the crash site.
With some reservation I will tell you that we were told the reason we were sent was that immediately after the crash some of the bodies were being looted of valuables. I will tell you now that I do not believe this to be true and I have seen no documentation on the subject. Having been in the site, I cannot imagine anyone would have wanted to enter the site for that purpose. It's just another interesting piece of information surrounding this crash. I mention only because I have not seen a mention of it anywhere.
Our guys were there, to the best of my recollection, for about a week.
Dona Grant Jones

Palm Bay, FL

#9 Feb 15, 2009
Hi my father: James Calvin Grant was also killed on this plane along with his best friend. I have often searched for any children survivors. I wish there was a way we could all meet. 40 years, never met, but we very much all share a connection......
Dona Grant Jones

Palm Bay, FL

#10 Feb 15, 2009
you can reach me at donajones@hotmail.com
Dona Grant Jones

Palm Bay, FL

#11 Feb 16, 2009
Diane V wrote:
David,
My father was killed on that flight too.
It has been 40 years but still feels like yesterday. I often sweep the internet to see if there is any new news about it. There seems to be some controversy on what "really" happened. I am planning on taking my 86 year old mother to the site. I have never been there and can't imagine what the emotions will be. When I make it I will say a prayer for us all.
Good Luck in your quest.
DV

Hi Diane. My father was also killed that night. James Calvin Grant. I am also planning a trip to the site and spoke on the phone with the man that was the mayor that night. Though very old he was very clear of that night and his memories. He told me about the memorial that is there now and told me the town would welcome "us" the children whenever we wanted to come. I wish you well on your journey. You can reach me at donajones@hotmail.com God Bless
David Ellis

Saint Paul, MN

#12 Feb 16, 2009
Lisa C wrote:
I remember that night. I was driving home from chruch and asked her if lightening ever struck a plane and that was the night the Braniff crashed. I remember how dark the sky was. What was your dad's name?
Hello,

Thanks for your note. My Dad's name was Dr. Paul R. Ellis.

Take Care,

David
Enrique

Houston, TX

#13 Feb 27, 2009
I am doing some research on a former student of the University I work for that may have died on this dark day in Texas. Does anyone know where the passenger manifest(noun)can be found on the internet? I may have overlooked it? Most of her family has since died or is unreachable.
Dona Jones

Denver, CO

#14 Feb 27, 2009
Enrique wrote:
I am doing some research on a former student of the University I work for that may have died on this dark day in Texas. Does anyone know where the passenger manifest(noun)can be found on the internet? I may have overlooked it? Most of her family has since died or is unreachable.
I have a copy of the list of passengers in court docs and old newspaper articles. I have not been able to locate one on line either. You can email me if you would liek for me to checkt he massenger manifest.
Enrique

Houston, TX

#15 Feb 27, 2009
Dona Jones wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a copy of the list of passengers in court docs and old newspaper articles. I have not been able to locate one on line either. You can email me if you would liek for me to checkt he massenger manifest.
Will do thanks
The Braniff Pages

Midlothian, TX

#16 Mar 8, 2009
Howdy,

We did extensive research on the crash using Gov't, Braniff and witness documents.

http://www.watsmedia.com/1968/1968.html

I have not printed the PAX manifest, as I think that should remain private.

Cheers,
braniffpages.com
The Braniff Pages

Midlothian, TX

#17 Mar 8, 2009
Diane V

Plano, TX

#18 Mar 17, 2009
I found a list of passangers as well as an interesting article called, Dawson, Tx Airplane Crash, May 1968" written Oct. 8, 2007 by Stu Beitler. Also, if you go to Navarro Couty Death Records for 1968 you will see on May 3rd all the passangers are listed. If you can not find the above article I can send you a copy. d-vowell1@ti.com
Chris B

Pilot Point, TX

#19 Apr 8, 2009
You all may know this, but the wreckage was actually buried on the site.

With the technology available today, it would be interesting to re-examine the wreckage in an attempt to find evidence of the truth.
Tom Richmond Virginia

Cumberland, VA

#20 Apr 9, 2009
I heard a very inspiring story from a professional golfer relating to this crash. His name is Ken Still and he was playing in the tournament in Houston at that time. After a very poor first round (78) he had booked a reservation on this flight. The next day it would have been easy to go through the motions and miss the cut. Instead because of his nature he played hard and shot a 69 which allowed him to play the weekend. He cancelled his reservation and the rest was history. He has often told young people when he taught them the game to "never give up" and uses this as a perfect example.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mexia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Apr 22 Fart 798
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Apr 18 Fart Smoke 633
Info on AD Mar '15 Hope 1
Keith henderson Feb '15 Batman 3
any information on jason doss Jan '15 Watch this 1
EX- Coolidge Police Chief and his dad sue TABC ... (Apr '11) Jan '15 Jason 4 Attorney ... 3
cossacks mc Dec '14 pete 1
More from around the web

Mexia People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]