what was the main cause of the Civil ...

what was the main cause of the Civil War?

Posted in the Metter Forum

GET REAL

Metter, GA

#1 Nov 23, 2010
interes in what people think main causes of Civil War were, and their feelings about it. doing a paper for school. thank you.
willyp

White House, TN

#2 Nov 24, 2010
If one takes the time to read over the articles of secession from the southern states they will find that the states left the union primarily to help preserve the institution of slavery. Of course there are many factors involved but the desire to keep slavery was primary. That is not to say that individual confederate soldiers felt that they were fighting to preserve slavery. Most felt that they were fighting for the independence of the southern states. The north did not initially fight to abolish slavery but to preserve the union. The southern troops & civilian poulation felt they were protecting their homeland. It was basically hot headed politician who instigated the conflict & the suffering was done by by the civilians & troops who were following orders. I love the south dearly but I am certainly glad that the union was preserved.
educated idiot

Metter, GA

#3 Nov 25, 2010
Plain and simple states rights. If you are writing a paper then you understand what that means.
Kel-Tech p-32

Statesboro, GA

#4 Nov 26, 2010
Let us discard all the political correctness and government propaganda onto the trash heap and face the facts. The states at the time of their founding were individually self regulated entaties. They were held together loosely by an administrative governing body in Washington. The purpose of the federal government was to organize defense of the states. The corrupt federal officials discovered that they could steal from the states through passing of legislation. In order to maximize theft they had to consolidate and control each and every state through use of force which was the strongest military. Many states did not like the federal government stealing from them so they bucked the system. As the states were defying the feds they built federal forts throughout the states in order to force the states into their servitude. When the states were fed up they rebeled and the slavery issue was the spark that lit the fuse which the federal government used to emasculate the states. We can all agree that slavery is abhorant, despicable, and had to be abolished. I hate a federal government that became tyranical. When Robert E. Lee was asked to lead the Federal troops in their destruction of the states Lee Stated"I am first a Virginian and can not lead war against my state." You see...a patriots' loyalty was first to his state and then the federal government. This was how the founding fathers envisioned our union.
haha

Atlanta, GA

#5 Nov 29, 2010
Slavery was not the primary cause. It was a factor, but states rights were the reason for succession. Lincoln's goal was not to abolisg slavery, but preserve the Union.
willyp

White House, TN

#6 Dec 6, 2010
haha wrote:
Slavery was not the primary cause. It was a factor, but states rights were the reason for succession. Lincoln's goal was not to abolisg slavery, but preserve the Union.
All in all I would feel safe to say that had there been no slaves there would have been no war. A good reading of the individual states articles of secession bears this out.
Kel-Tech p-32

Statesboro, GA

#7 Dec 7, 2010
willyp wrote:
<quoted text>
All in all I would feel safe to say that had there been no slaves there would have been no war. A good reading of the individual states articles of secession bears this out.
So true. But our government would be much different today. The federal government would be subserviant to the states. We would adhere much much closer to the wishes of our nation's founders. The federal government would have had no cause to destroy the rights of the individual states.
haha

Atlanta, GA

#8 Dec 7, 2010
Perhaps true. I have studied it for years and abolishin advocates pressure for the Feds to interfere with states rights was a factor. But I still contend that while the statement that had there been no slavery there would have been no war has merit. There were still other factors that made states rights the issue.
Eighteenth street

Kendal, UK

#9 Dec 25, 2010
he civilk war waws to gainj the blacks confidence after using as slaves.....

THE USA IS WORSE THAN SOMALIA, AFGANISTAN AND IRAN

FCUK ALL YANKEEDOODLES YOU ARE ALL INBRED fCKS

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Metter Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
good bye cnn 6 hr Citizencane 10
Papa John's Pizza FOOD POISONING! Not using nat... 6 hr Forsure 8
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 12 hr Proud American 20,707
I'm glad Hillary Clinton lost and will never be... 18 hr Charles 6
Do White Men Get Turned on , Watching Black M... (Jan '12) 21 hr Edmund 269
W. Troy Austin: Southeastern Aesthetic Surgery ... Tue Beamer 2
Dunkin' Donuts boycotted for Racism/Supporting ... Tue Green machine 55

Metter Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Metter Mortgages