United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

Whats with there new adoption policy. Fill out an application and wait up to 48 hours along with how ever many other people have done the same thing for the same dog. Can you imagine taking your children in and allowing them to pick out an animal that desperately needs a home and then waiting up to 48 hours only to find out someone else has already adopted the animal your children picked. I completely agree with the shelter using there discretion on people wanting to adopt but this policy seems very discouraging to me. Anyone else think this doesn't make since?
oh boy

Watertown, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

If you can:t determine the proper "sense" to use then you don't need a dog to begin with.
Lee

Dittmer, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Judged:

They do this to ensure a proper home for these pets.. Too many times a pet is gotten & the person realizes that they don't have the time to take care of the pet, or they got the pet for a child not knowing how the pet would react to a child. Animals are not just throw aways. These pets deserve a proper home..

There are some pet adoption places that will come and do a home inspection, they will have you 1st come to the facility where the pets are, see how well you & the pet react to eachother. Then a home inspection. If all passes you pay the fee & get a pet, under the condition that if for some reason you become unable to care for that pet at any point in time, you return that pet to that facility..

So NO 48 hours is not a big deal.. If you think it is then you do not deserve that pet.
Unfair

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Judged:

Lee wrote:
They do this to ensure a proper home for these pets.. Too many times a pet is gotten & the person realizes that they don't have the time to take care of the pet, or they got the pet for a child not knowing how the pet would react to a child. Animals are not just throw aways. These pets deserve a proper home..
There are some pet adoption places that will come and do a home inspection, they will have you 1st come to the facility where the pets are, see how well you & the pet react to eachother. Then a home inspection. If all passes you pay the fee & get a pet, under the condition that if for some reason you become unable to care for that pet at any point in time, you return that pet to that facility..
So NO 48 hours is not a big deal.. If you think it is then you do not deserve that pet.
I don't think they were complaining as much about the 48 hour wait as they were the shelter taking multiple applications for the same animal. Paducah does that same thing. The 48 hour wait isn't a big deal but the multiple applications is unfair to everyone. One at a time and if they feel that the animal is not suited to the family/individual then do another application. I understand taking the children to pick out a pet and thinking the one that they chose was open for adoption when really there were10 15 or 20 other applications ahead of yours and someone else adopted the pet that your children wanted so badly. Multiple applications for 1 pet is not a good way to do business and find these animals good homes as this practice really just makes them go elsewhere and pay much more for the animal they choose. This practice detours people from wanting to disappoint their children a second time and assures that the other animals stay right there in the shelter. They need to think of a better strategy to place these animals in good loving homes. The animals are missing out just as much as the children who pick a pet are heart broken when they lose that pet to another family. No Disrespect intended.
Hmm

Iowa City, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Judged:

I personally object to the money I donate going to fuel someone's pill habit. Just sayin'.
Hmm

Iowa City, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Judged:

And PS: I think it's hypocritical of anyone to claim to defend and protect animals when they treat their own horses like shit at that Nine Day Trash Drunk every year in the hottest part of summer time.
Tunnel Talk

Marion, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Judged:

I adopted a pet from Project Hope about 10 years ago. They jerked me around and kept raising the price on this poor dog until they had the price up to 300 dollars. We were well able to qualify to care for this dog, but by this time I told them to just forget it. I could buy that type dog for that price and know what I was getting as far as how it had been raised, etc. They were partly charging me for. A neuter which was being figured into that price. It turns out that the dog had already been neutered. I asked for part of my money back and they almost never returned my money to me. Yes, they needed donations, but I smelled a rat with them keeping on raising the price. Needless to say, that dog lived like a king for almost 6 years until he died of old age and health issues that couldn't be healed. He was 13 or there about.
He had his own recliner, he ate like a king, he went to his vet appointments,, he was brushed, bathed, pampered, and most of all loved so much. Project Hopes workers 10 years ago were not the same ones there today but the ones I'm talking about nearly cost this good dog a well deserved good home. I usually always keep a limit of three dogs in my house at any one time. I will put the care I take of my animals up against anyone's at any time.
If a person has smaller children, they should really consider whether they should even have a dog at all. Most parents don't have a clue how to housebreaking a dog, and most small children just jerk and hit the poor dog u til it nips them or even does worse, and then the dog gets the death penalty.
Dogs have feelings too! Don't get a dog if you're going to let your children pull its hair, poke its eyes, pick it up by its legs,etc. it will get bitten and the dog will suffer more.
Wow

Mosinee, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2013

... This may be the smartest post on Topix I have EVER heard. Tunnel, you are SO RIGHT. Kids need to develop empathy and compassion for animals, and if they're used to playing with toys, they'll think a dog is a toy no matter WHAT a parent says to them regarding it. They need to learn about animals first, before one becomes the family's responsibility.
Lee

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2013

It kills me when I see a parent trying to get a dog or cat for their 2 year old... REALLY!!! That child is not old enough to understand how to take care of that animal. Why would any parent want a pet to potty train while potty training your child??
It's CRAZY!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 9 of9
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

25 Users are viewing the Metropolis Forum right now

Search the Metropolis Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Nick jennings <3 24 min Wyatt 4
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 1 hr nuguyntwn 3,827
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr frankensnorter 48,848
any easy women at southgate 4 hr ralphie baby 2
Places to meet for Dogging and gay and Bisexual... (Jun '11) 9 hr hard one 98
shaunnna hornback 10 hr KnowShaunna 17
Sam Stratemeyer 11 hr ha ha 25
•••
•••
•••
•••

Metropolis Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••