Is Marijuana as bad as alcohol?

Is Marijuana as bad as alcohol?

Posted in the Metropolis Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Hightimes

Nashville, TN

#1 Mar 29, 2011
There is a lot to be said about this suject, but lets keep this down to earth. It's a proven fact that weed is not a gateway drug and it's content has been refined over the years. Alcohol kills people every day. Research has proven that Marijuana is not has harmful as alcohol, yet we have young people all across America doing time in prisons for minor possession. I know people that has had more than one DUI and they still drive. Black markets have arisen from the sales and the borders are at war over it. Alcohol impairs you perception, speech and vision and people kill people every day trying to drive under its influence. No-one has ever O.D.ed on Marijuana. Alcohol is not that way. They should outlaw alcohol and legalize Marijuana. Now, I'm not talking about crack, meth, coke, or heroin. Those people will eventually kill themselves over that shit. So lets keep this disscusion to alcohol vs. Marijuana.
hatersgonnahate

Seychelles

#2 Mar 29, 2011
Pot is bad. youre gay if you like drugs. say nope to dope mkay
Hightimes

Nashville, TN

#3 Mar 29, 2011
This proves my point. This sumbitch is crazy drunk!
johnny

New Lenox, IL

#4 Mar 29, 2011
hatersgonnahate wrote:
Pot is bad. youre gay if you like drugs. say nope to dope mkay
Sounds like ur the gay one spending all your time on topics posting a bunch of bullsh!t about nothing ya loser get a life and weed aint bad for ya alcohol kills way more ppl than weed actually no ones died from weed som
flying high with Superman

Paducah, KY

#5 Mar 29, 2011
Drugs? Last time I looked marijuana was a plant, weed, herb. Kids all over are getting high and DYING from legal drugs(pills) that are perferctly legal to own if you have a scrip. Go pick up a bottle of asprin and take them and it'll be the last bottle you take. Kids dying from alcohol poisoning everywhere, adults and kids dying from dumb asses drunk driving or impaired from "legal" drugs. I know women whom been taking advantage of while impaired from alcohol or pills. Now check on weed. Has anyone ever been taking advantage of while "high"? Has anyone ever overdosed on weed? Has anyone just plowed down a bunch of people and being impaired on ONLY weed? Probably not. And one last fact, alcohol and tobacco both have killed thousands by affecting major organs in our bodies, NOBODY AND I'M REPEATING NOBODY HAS DIED FROM ANY CANCER OR DISEASES CAUSED BY SMOKING HERBAL MEDICINE. Time to light up and grab a tall glass of sweet tea.
hatersgonnahate

Stockholm, Sweden

#6 Mar 29, 2011
bahaha, if you need dope to be happy, sucks for you! gay
flying high with Superman

Paducah, KY

#7 Mar 29, 2011
Never said that but by the way your sad sad life leads you to be a pretty ignorant person on topix you need some prescribed drugs a buddy.
fact

United States

#8 Mar 29, 2011
flying high with Superman wrote:
Never said that but by the way your sad sad life leads you to be a pretty ignorant person on topix you need some prescribed drugs a buddy.
Drugs are bad mkay they dont want you to have weed because then,you will get the munchies and eat every damn thing in sight and they make people more lazy than what they already are mkay
flying high with Superman

Paducah, KY

#9 Mar 29, 2011
fact wrote:
<quoted text>
Drugs are bad mkay they dont want you to have weed because then,you will get the munchies and eat every damn thing in sight and they make people more lazy than what they already are mkay
And the Drs prescribe this as a medicine to harm people?
ummmm

United States

#10 Mar 31, 2011
hatersgonnahate wrote:
bahaha, if you need dope to be happy, sucks for you! gay
If you need to talk shit on a website to be happy, sucks for you! Gay! I'd rather be smoking a blunt than trolling behind a computer screen in my mothers basement.
Jarvis

Galax, VA

#11 Mar 31, 2011
Hightimes wrote:
There is a lot to be said about this suject, but lets keep this down to earth. It's a proven fact that weed is not a gateway drug and it's content has been refined over the years. Alcohol kills people every day. Research has proven that Marijuana is not has harmful as alcohol, yet we have young people all across America doing time in prisons for minor possession. I know people that has had more than one DUI and they still drive. Black markets have arisen from the sales and the borders are at war over it. Alcohol impairs you perception, speech and vision and people kill people every day trying to drive under its influence. No-one has ever O.D.ed on Marijuana. Alcohol is not that way. They should outlaw alcohol and legalize Marijuana. Now, I'm not talking about crack, meth, coke, or heroin. Those people will eventually kill themselves over that shit. So lets keep this disscusion to alcohol vs. Marijuana.
You are wrong on several levels.

1. Please learn how to form paragraphs, this is very hard to read.

2. You do not know what proven fact means. Proven fact implies a scientific study has taken place. Time and time again any medical or scientific study have stated that pot is indeed a gateway drug and does have negative side effects. One recent study showed that smoking pot increased mental disorders in people who regularly did it.

Proof: http://www.aolnews.com/2010/03/01/new-study-l...

3. Consumption of Alcohol does not kill anyone. It is abuse and massive consumption that is deadly.

4. you do not go to prison for minor possession. You go to prison for dealing and major possession. Really you should stop taking all your facts from high times magazine and read a book instead.

5. You are just trying a bad attempt to justify your chosen vice. "Alcohol vs Pot" is your tactic to say "See my vice is not so bad, look at this one and its perfectly fine!" lets look at your vices detriments on their own.

A. Pot supports the blood war going on along the mexican border. The major drug of choice imported across the mexican border is pot. This is where the funding of gangs like MS13 come from.

B. Pot leads to mental illness. see link above.

C. Pot dealers lead to increase criminal activity in an area. Not just counting the dealing of a control substance.

D. Pot is a pathetic escape from easly solvable problems.(this is an opinion, mine) Time and time again I have seen close friends fall into doing nothing and never improving their life because they simply smoke pot rather then deal with problems. It is a easy escape from reality for them, why try harder when you can just sit around smoking pot all day?
Nomad

Nashville, TN

#12 Mar 31, 2011
Jarvis wrote:
<quoted text>
You are wrong on several levels.
1. Please learn how to form paragraphs, this is very hard to read.
2. You do not know what proven fact means. Proven fact implies a scientific study has taken place. Time and time again any medical or scientific study have stated that pot is indeed a gateway drug and does have negative side effects. One recent study showed that smoking pot increased mental disorders in people who regularly did it.
Proof: http://www.aolnews.com/2010/03/01/new-study-l...
3. Consumption of Alcohol does not kill anyone. It is abuse and massive consumption that is deadly.
4. you do not go to prison for minor possession. You go to prison for dealing and major possession. Really you should stop taking all your facts from high times magazine and read a book instead.
5. You are just trying a bad attempt to justify your chosen vice. "Alcohol vs Pot" is your tactic to say "See my vice is not so bad, look at this one and its perfectly fine!" lets look at your vices detriments on their own.
A. Pot supports the blood war going on along the mexican border. The major drug of choice imported across the mexican border is pot. This is where the funding of gangs like MS13 come from.
B. Pot leads to mental illness. see link above.
C. Pot dealers lead to increase criminal activity in an area. Not just counting the dealing of a control substance.
D. Pot is a pathetic escape from easly solvable problems.(this is an opinion, mine) Time and time again I have seen close friends fall into doing nothing and never improving their life because they simply smoke pot rather then deal with problems. It is a easy escape from reality for them, why try harder when you can just sit around smoking pot all day?
Jarvis. Grab your bottle of Gin and go set in your alley. You pay me enough money and I'll say it's bad too, but really it's not. You need a big fatty!!
Hightimes

Nashville, TN

#13 Mar 31, 2011
I read that article. The study was conducted by AOL (government backed). In the study scientist stated that the results were imperfect. Variable like family history and childhood trauma left the researcher hardpressed to conclude that Marijuana had anything to do with any kind of psychosis. It also stated that some people are apt to mental changes by nature. It said "you don't outlaw peanuts because a small percentage of people have allergic reactions". If you want to read another aspectic then read "systemic review" from London. You really need to read what you put up for oppostion against Marijuana.
Hightimes

Nashville, TN

#14 Mar 31, 2011
Jarvis, I can read too and here are some more facts for you to consider; National Institute of Alcohol Abuse...Alcohol is a chronic, progressive and often fatal disease. Studies have found that people who start drinking before the age of 18 are 5 times more likley to eventually become alcohol dependent than those who start drinking at the age of 21.One of the symptoms of alcohol abuse is blackouts or period of amnesia that can span from several hours to several days. Alcohol use is destructive patern that produces significant damage to ones health, career and family relations. The chemistry of alcohol allows it to affect nearly every type of cell in the body, especially the cental nervous system. It is classified as a central nervous system depressent. Nearly 14 million people in the United States are dependent on alcohol. More than 150 medications react harmfully with alcohol. Alcohol causes heart, brain and liver damage and it progresses more in women. Between 48 and 64 percent of people who dies in fires have blood alcohol levels indicating intoxication. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says 65% of all fatal crashes involve drivers whose BAC is .15 or higher. Risk of hemorrhagic stroke is 3 times higher amoung people who drink alcohol. 20% of sucicide are alcohol related and over 1000 people die from alcohol overdose every year. This information was compiled from The National Institute of Alcohol Abuse. NOT AOL. There is more if you would like to read it.
unicorn

Nashville, TN

#15 Apr 1, 2011
It's a know fact that alcohol will kill you and that is indisputable. Too many people making too much money on not legalizing pot. But there is a ton of money to be made if they ever do legalize the weed. The pro's outweigh the con's by far.
Hightimes

Nashville, TN

#16 Apr 1, 2011
Marijuana prohibition is more than a practical failure, it has been a misuse of taxpayers dollars and the government authority over people. Substances like Marijuana should not be prohibited by the government simply because they can be harmful if missused or consumed in excess, alcohol, food and cars can all be extremely dangerous under certain circumstanses and cigarettes are almost always harmful if used in the long term. All those things KILL people every year. Outright prohibition on Marijuana is an ineffective means to the answer. Albert Einstein once wrote on alcohol prohibition in 1921; "Nothing is more destructive of respect for the government and the law of the land than passing laws which cannot be enforced". Why do people, that have never smoked Marijuana, condemn it? The greatest obstetricians in the world has never been pregnent. 420
Circulusindemons trando

Paducah, KY

#17 Apr 8, 2011
Marijuana should be legalized. The therapeutic uses are much safer than "so called" more conventional medications.

The U.S. prohibited alcohol from 1920 - 1933. Cannabis was legal until 1937. I've smoked marijuana for over 30 years now and have no negative effects. I smoke almost everyday and still work in a very responsible job, pay my bills, own a house, take care of my mother, grow a garden every year, go to church, perform volunteer work ... I don't smoke to get high or messed up.

I smoke to kill pain. I smoke to quell nausea. I smoke to make it easier to fall asleep at night. I smoke to derive the same type of relief and stress reduction that those who drink do.

More ganja? More peace?

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#18 Apr 9, 2011
The health impact of any drug depends on how it's used, who's using it, how much is used, and under what circumstances. Marijuana and alcohol are no exception, so comparing them directly is difficult each possesses the potential for unique risks or benefits.

For instance, alcohol is known to contribute to liver disease, but studies also suggest that a nightly glass of red wine can help keep your heart healthy. Similarly, marijuana is known to cause short-term cognitive impairment (trouble thinking clearly), but for certain medical conditions, such as glaucoma, marijuana possesses therapeutic properties.

On the other hand, people using marijuana or alcohol with the intention of getting high or drunk are more likely to experience the better-known negative consequences of these drugs. Alcohol use may contribute to memory loss, impaired judgment, academic, relationship, or work problems, along with long-term impacts like liver disease, heart disease, peptic ulcers, and physical dependency. Marijuana use may contribute to problems thinking clearly, memory loss, dependency, and (if smoked) smoking-related health problems, such as throat and lung cancer and respiratory problems. Furthermore, both alcohol and marijuana are thought to contribute to mental health problems, such as depression and anxiety.

One major difference worth noting is that it isn't possible to ingest a fatal dose of THC (the active compound in marijuana) from smoking or eating marijuana. On the flip side, lots of alcohol in a brief period of time can lead to alcohol poisoning, an emergency medical condition that can be fatal.

Aside from direct health effects, getting behind the wheel while drunk or high poses significant risks to you and others. Marijuana and alcohol have both been shown to significantly reduce reaction ability and motor coordination, two skills that are essential to safely operate a motor vehicle. In fact, many activities, such as sports or riding the subway, become dangerous when drunk or high. In general, being drunk or high compromises sound judgment and may lead to unhealthy or risky decisions that you wouldn't make when sober.
hmm

United States

#19 Apr 9, 2011
Marijuana is not banned by the federal government. Look It up, its that empty bracket next to the magnifying glass on your screen for Those who apparently stumbled into topic and Never leave because they can't figure out how. Laws against marijuana are only on a state level and punishment varies by state in the states in which its still illegal. The only reason it first became illegal was it was believed that smoking it was causing white women to have sex with black men....look it up. There have been numerous tests and studies by our federal government of which proved that. Addiction to marijuana is mental not physical like every other "drug" including otc cold pills and nasal sprays that cause physical changes and physical difficulties once someone stops use of them. The federal government even funds many medicinal marijuana facilities as I know of 2 in Oklahoma and 1 in Colorado where the marijuana is grown only for government financed medical research. It has been proven to help chemo patients keep weight on, help reverse glaucoma, help in anxiety disorders, help with chronic pain for those sensitive to morphine, help those with eating disorders, increase fertility in men, hemp which comes from the same plant has been used to make clothing, shoes, lotions, tanning oils, paper and sturdy boxes. Hemp oil has been proven to help ease painful skin disorders and lessen the appearance of stretch marks and I'm sure many more uses will be found for this plant as research continues. I haven't smoked it in over 24 years but unlike cigarettes or even sweet tea There was no craving for more hours later, days later or ever. Yes weak minded individuals get addicted to it BUT weak minded individuals can also get addicted to bubble gum
Hightimes

Nashville, TN

#20 Apr 9, 2011
Hey hmmm, you are wrong about Marijuana not being banned by the Federal Gubment. Under Fed. Law the Gubment regulates drugs through the Controlled Substance Act (CSA) which does not recognize the difference between medical Marijuana and recreational Marijuana. Under Federal Law marijuana is treated like any other controlled substance like cocaine and heroin. Under CSA Marijuana is classified as a schedule 1 drug, which means that the Federal Law veiws Marijuana as a highly addictive drug and does not have any medical value. Doctors may not "prescribe" Marijuana for medical use under Federal Law, though they can "recommend" it's use under the First Amendment. In 1937 Cannibis Hemp was one of history's most widely used plant. Tincture of Cannibis was the basis for almost every patented medicine prior to aspirin. When Randolf Deisel produced his engine in 1896 he discovered that it would run off seed oils such as hemp, which is far superior to petrolium. Just think about it for a second a fuel, that our farmers can grow, that is superior to foreign oil. There was a group of the ilete and special interest groups dominated by the DuPont Petrochemical Company and it's major financial backer, Treasury Sec. Andrew Mellon, who took over Gulf Oil Corp. in 1913..When the Federal Bureau of Narcotics was formed in 1932, Mellons nephew, Harry Anslinger, was appointed to head that department, a job that Mellons Treasury Dept. created for him. So, in 1932, Anslinger went before a poorly attended congressional commitee hearing and called for a TOTAL ban on Marijuana. NO MORE HEMP OIL FOR FUEL! More to come....420

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Metropolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Fire trucks 9 hr Code Three 5
new gym 15 hr generac 1
Autumn Sturm Thu Brandy hall 13
Laken Atkinson is back in Massac County Jail. Thu Fox 8
cale? (Apr '13) Thu Who 23
Right to work Wed Tell me more 13
Fernando Olveda (Oct '11) Nov 15 Know it All 5

Metropolis Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Metropolis Mortgages