Metropolis Man Pleads Guilty To Murder

Metropolis Man Pleads Guilty To Murder

There are 109 comments on the Southern Illinoisan story from Jan 28, 2005, titled Metropolis Man Pleads Guilty To Murder. In it, Southern Illinoisan reports that:

Sharod Roundtree, 25, of Metropolis pleaded guilty in the Massac County Circuit Court on Monday in the shooting death of 22-year-old Andrea Perdew.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Southern Illinoisan.

KEVIN K

Saint Louis, MO

#22 May 13, 2008
Sharod, was like my brother! He was a kindhearted,caring indivual. Me and Sharod was around each other all the time. We made good decisions and bad.I love Sharod with all my heart and allways will.What happened is a really bad situation.Sharod is not a monster and nobody could ever tell me he was.I wasn't there that night this all took place. I wish it never would have happened. It is what is,I can't change the past, all I know is that I pray for my brother alot, and lord knows I need prayer. Sharod I love u! Stay strong my friend and I will do the same.
ya Big Brother Kev!
From a broken heart

Ashburn, VA

#23 Jun 9, 2008
Sharon wrote:
That "girl" has a name, it's Andrea Jo Perdew. She was born Feb 17th, 1982 and her life was taken on May 26th, 2004. Yes God will deal with the three boys convicted of her murder. Joyce, I understand a mother's love and a mother's heartbreak but when all is said and done Sharod pled guilty to first degree murder. I'm not pointing fingers at any of the families of the boys who were convicted of this tradgedy. I chose to go on living though at times it is extremely hard. Her sister chose to move forward too but that does not mean we will ever forget! I feel for you Joyce but we can discuss the topic back and forth for years and it doesn't change the fact your son was convicted along side of the other two and you still get to keep in touch with him. But I also know that in the end I will get to see my baby again. God bless all who has kept her memory alive.
Dear Sharon, I just stumbled across this thread. It just so happens that i use to live not three miles from where Andrea lost her life. I remember the day i saw it on the news and i was thinking how scary it was to live that close to an actual murder that went down. I also knew of Sharod Roundtree and i knew Sharod's mother years ago. I cannot vouch for his character. I do know his mother loves him so very much and was always proud of what he was capable of becoming as a football player. I am sure when he got involved in all of that it made her want to stand up for him. It's a natural reaction. That said, I feel the hurt in my heart for the way you must feel. I am a christian person who is close to God. I want you to know that i lost someone close and i know that emptiness and pain. Take all that pain and put it to good use. Plant tree's in memory of your girl, plant a flower garden in her memory. Keep yourself occupied with something living.Start a murdered childrens support group. Do it in her name and one day you will see her again. God is faithful. He is our promise. There is nothing i can say that i know will be a comfort to you but know that there are many who care and want to be a comfort. May The Lord continue to be with you each day until you meet her again.
The Little Sister

United States

#24 Jun 15, 2008
How can you people sit there and say that Sharod was innocent? He plead guilty infront of hundreds of people! Does that not say anything in itself? He may have been a good person at one time but honestly not in my eyes any more. I will say that I do appreciate that he was the only one out of all three of them to say that he was sorry. But that doesn't change the fact that he took her life! Because of him... my sister never seen me become a teenager. Becuase of him... my sister never got to see me graduate Jr. High. BEcause of him... my sister never got to go to my mothers wedding. Becuase of him... my sister never got to see me turn 16 and get my licenes. because of him... I dont have a best friend anymore. Becuase of him... I lost my big sister. Becuase of him... she will ever see me get married or have kids or anything like that. So no, dont you dare say he is innocent. Bacuse thats bullshit! He made the choice. He can pay for his actions. If you have a problem with anything I have to say then you can easily come out and say it and tell me who you are and I will gladly tell you the facts. My sister was a loving and caring person and never did anything to deserve this at all. She could always put a smile on anyones face. And she was always there for me no matter what and I am going to stand up for her now. I love you sissy. you mean the world to me still. and to this day I look up to you.
*Andrea Jo Perdew*
Feb, 17, 1982-May 26, 2004
Kpress1

Franklin, TN

#25 Jun 23, 2008
JCollins wrote:
Ms. Voisine,
I grew up with Andrea and Sharod both. So this hit me pretty hard when i had heard this whole situation. I met Sharod when I was in 7th grade and he was one of the only people who ever tried to keep me out of trouble. He never hurt anyone and trust me I was around him alot. Yes this incident was a tragedy but dont be so quick to judge someone you barely know. I lived half a block from Sharod's grandmother on 5th street and my mother still to this day lives there. He never follwed in the footsteps of the people around him. Even moose who everyone thought would make it ended up in more trouble than Sharod before this. I'm not on anyones side really in this i just hate seeing people bad mouth people they dont know. He was found guilty of murder but the court system isn't always right. I am very sorry for your loss and maybe i dont understand so i wont say that i do but i did know Andrea as well even though i never had the oppurtunity to be actual friends with her i did know her and it was a loss to a lot of people when she died. I am sorry to both you and Joyce for what happened. And Joyce i'm not sure if you remember me because i visitied sharod more at his grandmothers than when he was with you but i do remember you. I met you once maybe twice. If you could please contact me at [email protected] i would like to speak with you on the side.
If i have upset or offended anyone i apologize..that was not my intent...i just felt the need to post to this
Collins--Just to clarify your comment/error, he wasn't "found guilty of murder" he "plead guilty", so therefore, the court system didn't fail in any way shape or form. He admited he murdered her.
joyce marie roundtree

Decatur, IL

#26 Jul 14, 2008
i am so sorry for andrea's mother. i do have compasssion for human life. and i have also given my life over to jesus christ. He is a Savior for us all!!! i pray every day for you and my Sharod.
he does have an honest remorse and regret for being at the wrong place at the wrong time. please forgive him and i put it in God's hands.
Dear Lord...be with and stay with Andrea's mom throughout her life and keep Andrea safe in Heaven with You until we are ALL together and meet each other. In Your Son's Holy name...AMEN please feel free to email me [email protected]
CDM

Carrier Mills, IL

#27 Jul 17, 2008
to both of the parents. God would not want you two to fight over this. Things happen and someone was wrong. wheter it was your son or someone elses he did plead guilty. If he did not do it then he should not be taking the blame for someone else. That was his decision. If he did do it then he is getting what he deserves and in your heart you know if he is guily you should accept his punishment. you know that if you were in the shoes of the Andrea's mother you wouldn't not think that anything was punishment enough. Maybe you should both think about what each other is going through instead of just trying to put the other down. I don't know either of you but I do know that either situation would be bad. I definatly would not every want anything to happen to my children and I pray to God everyday that he keeps his hands over them. I also know that if my child has done something like this it would be hard to admit it but I would have to accept it and move on and pray that he asks for forgiveness for what he has done. I will be praying for the both of you.
Mary Etherton

Dubois, IN

#28 Jul 29, 2008
I just found out that Sharod is coming back to Metropolis to plead guilty to murder again. Does that mean that someone else is not guilty? If he plead guilty why does he need to come back and change his story? Im sorry that the family has to deal with this all over agian.
anonymous wi

Madison, WI

#29 Jul 30, 2008
The Reality wrote:
The reality is that these parents of these bad ass kids/boys (now men I guess) didnt, couldnt, or wouldnt controll thier kids and they grew up to be trouble makers, wannabee thugs, etc. The fact that the boy was stupid enough to even be around people like that, he should have known he was going to get in some kind of trouble sooner or later.
It sickens me to see these parents of these boys (you know all the badass kids now grown ass men in Metropolis) play dumb or be in denail about thier offspring. The fact that the boy was stupid enough to even be around someone who would allegedly commit the murder (since you say he didnt do it) makes him at the very least guilty of being dumb and his parents just plain poor ass parents. Period. No excuse. As far as the fool saying he didnt do it, Joyce of course youre going to belive him, hes your family. You are too neieve to realize hed lie to you. Duh. Get a clue.
Response to "The Reality":
First of all, he/she needs to learn how to spell correctly before even trying to list/post his/hers statement(s)re Sharod without any background or facts! Certainly your English teacher should have taught you to use apostrophes when using contractions, or do you know what a contraction is?
The word you used 'neieve' is correctly spelled 'naive'- if indeed you were referring to subject as being "inexperienced".
Question: Were you there at the "scene" when the situation all occurred? Furthermore, just how much history do you personally know about the young man of subject? Do you really know his parents/family personally to speak so boldly as you have done?
Response to "The Reality":
First of all, he/she needs to learn how to spell correctly before even trying to list/post his/hers statement(s)re Sharod without any background or facts! Certainly your English teacher should have taught you to use apostrophes when using contractions, or do you know what a contraction is?
The word you used 'neieve' is correctly spelled 'naive'- if indeed you were referring to subject as being "inexperienced".
Question: Were you there at the "scene" when the situation all occurred? Furthermore, just how much history do you personally know about the young man of subject? Do you really know his parents/family personally to speak so boldly as you have done?
Jorden_23

Waukesha, WI

#30 Jul 30, 2008
Caleb Darnell wrote:
All of those boys got what they deserve. And yes they were all guilty especially Sharod!! I hope they rot in that cell!
You need JESUS!!!!!!!!1
Jorden_23

Waukesha, WI

#31 Jul 30, 2008
The Little Sister wrote:
How can you people sit there and say that Sharod was innocent? He plead guilty infront of hundreds of people! Does that not say anything in itself? He may have been a good person at one time but honestly not in my eyes any more. I will say that I do appreciate that he was the only one out of all three of them to say that he was sorry. But that doesn't change the fact that he took her life! Because of him... my sister never seen me become a teenager. Becuase of him... my sister never got to see me graduate Jr. High. BEcause of him... my sister never got to go to my mothers wedding. Becuase of him... my sister never got to see me turn 16 and get my licenes. because of him... I dont have a best friend anymore. Becuase of him... I lost my big sister. Becuase of him... she will ever see me get married or have kids or anything like that. So no, dont you dare say he is innocent. Bacuse thats bullshit! He made the choice. He can pay for his actions. If you have a problem with anything I have to say then you can easily come out and say it and tell me who you are and I will gladly tell you the facts. My sister was a loving and caring person and never did anything to deserve this at all. She could always put a smile on anyones face. And she was always there for me no matter what and I am going to stand up for her now. I love you sissy. you mean the world to me still. and to this day I look up to you.
*Andrea Jo Perdew*
Feb, 17, 1982-May 26, 2004
Like you are standing up for your sister which you should I'm going to stand up for my cuzo. First off i'm very sorry for your lost. No one should have to go thru the pain that you and your family have encountered. God Bless your whole family. Your accusations towards Sharod are contridicting. You said it yourself that he said sorry out of all the people involved. Your right he will pay for his actions but not by you or anyone eles who wants to keep putting him down. He only has one man to answer to that even matters. And that man also forgives. Did you even know Sharod? Do you even know if he is the one who really took your sisters life? Was he involved, obviously but I don't see you talking about the other two like he was the only one there. I'm not gonna say he was innocent but I do forgive him for what has happened and back him 100% Those things you think your sister can't see you accomplish she can up in heaven looking down on you. Sharod was a good person and got caught up with the wrong crowd. Our family is not murders nor were we brought up that way or lifestyle for that matter. Roundtrees are very respectable people. It's unfortunate For Sharod to be in such a mess. Again I'm VERY sorry for your lost Sharod too for that matter. I've noticed change in him and he is remorseful. Sometimes it takes big things to happen and change people's lives around. I'm sorry it had to be your sister's life but that was in God's plan. So before you sit and judge my cuzo trust that God will handle the situation........
an area resident

Catonsville, MD

#32 Aug 4, 2008
Now see, when i read this junk like what has been posted just above this one it makes me want to yell! Andrea's family members miss her terribly and you have no right at all to tell this mother what to feel. You have no right to tell her sister she is contradicting. If you know so much about how Andrea is looking down from heaven and all that, you should know that there are no tears in heaven.Andrea's tears are over. The tears are here. Her mother and sister cry them everyday. Andrea was in her home when these boys killed her. She wasn't out running the streets in the wee hours of the morning. It's sad for the families, because what is done is done. Sherods mother has to be left to cry for what might have been. She gets to visit her son in prison though. Andrea's mother gets to look at a cold grave and i can't imagine the pain she is in and will always be in.
This dude up here talking about his "Cuzo" just makes me sick! You are either too cold hearted, immature, stupid or just plain unfeeling, to understand how all that stuff about your cuzo makes you sound like you are minimizing what happened to another persons child. It's like, "oh well, sorry bout your luck but something had to wake sherood up! If you say it in a nice way it still doesn't make it easier to take that statement. I hope you don't have to suffer a tradgedy to wake you up to the pain this Mother feels. You know, after a while if you just insist on keeping a sore wide open and picking at it, God gets tired of it. Are you in some sick way thinking you are getting on the side of Sheroods family by saying this junk to defend him so his mom can feel better? She won't feel better because it can't change what he did to that girl. It can't change that her mom will probably die earlier than she normally would have because grief takes a toll on a persons body.
I am not related to these families. I am not even acquainted with any of them. I have been reading these posts just to see what ppl were saying. It's a MURDER that should not have happened. If you grow up being taught violence, you will be violent. Don't teach anymore people to be violent.
Jorden_23

Waukesha, WI

#33 Aug 4, 2008
an area resident wrote:
Now see, when i read this junk like what has been posted just above this one it makes me want to yell! Andrea's family members miss her terribly and you have no right at all to tell this mother what to feel. You have no right to tell her sister she is contradicting. If you know so much about how Andrea is looking down from heaven and all that, you should know that there are no tears in heaven.Andrea's tears are over. The tears are here. Her mother and sister cry them everyday. Andrea was in her home when these boys killed her. She wasn't out running the streets in the wee hours of the morning. It's sad for the families, because what is done is done. Sherods mother has to be left to cry for what might have been. She gets to visit her son in prison though. Andrea's mother gets to look at a cold grave and i can't imagine the pain she is in and will always be in.
This dude up here talking about his "Cuzo" just makes me sick! You are either too cold hearted, immature, stupid or just plain unfeeling, to understand how all that stuff about your cuzo makes you sound like you are minimizing what happened to another persons child. It's like, "oh well, sorry bout your luck but something had to wake sherood up! If you say it in a nice way it still doesn't make it easier to take that statement. I hope you don't have to suffer a tradgedy to wake you up to the pain this Mother feels. You know, after a while if you just insist on keeping a sore wide open and picking at it, God gets tired of it. Are you in some sick way thinking you are getting on the side of Sheroods family by saying this junk to defend him so his mom can feel better? She won't feel better because it can't change what he did to that girl. It can't change that her mom will probably die earlier than she normally would have because grief takes a toll on a persons body.
I am not related to these families. I am not even acquainted with any of them. I have been reading these posts just to see what ppl were saying. It's a MURDER that should not have happened. If you grow up being taught violence, you will be violent. Don't teach anymore people to be violent.
You know my mother always told me people won't know how dumb you are if you don't open your mouth. First off dumb ass spell his name right it's SHAROD!!. Where did I tell her mom how to feel. and it's not Andrea's tears it was her sisters tears i was talking bout. I feel horrible for their family. I wish that kind of pain on no one. I can't even imagine the hurt they feel everyday. I'm truely sorry for Andrea and her family. Obviously you no nothing about the Lord either. He doesn't get sick of anyone not even ya dumb ass. You act like you know for sure that Sharod killed Andrea, so you were there. Hell No!!! For the record I am in the FAM bitch!!! NO need to score brownie points with them.Your not related to any side so shut your damn mouth, you don't even know us or know what any of us are going thru. We all lost out........ God Bless Andrea's family especially her mom and I'm sorry if I offened any of you
sharon

United States

#34 Aug 4, 2008
First of all most of the stuff said on this post is about Sharod because if you go back to the beginning it was started by Joyce, Sharod's mother for thoes of you that do not know that, so of course it's mainly going to be about him.
As Andrea's mother, I do not want one person to feel or go through what my daughter and I have gone through. Yes we cry and yes we still get angry and yes if we want to visit Andrea we go a gravesite to do so but we also pray to her and we talk about her daily. I have no anger with any of the boys families who were convicted of Andrea's murder. The fact is my daughter has a right to feel the way she does, no one should judge her for that in way. She was only twelve years old when we lost Andrea and that is a hard age let alone lose someone the way she did. She will in time come to grips with what has happened and make peace within herself I'm sure. Sharod Roundtree, Judah Watkins and Joel Nelson were found guilty of First Degree Murder. Judah Watkins was found to be the one who pulled the trigger and killed my daughter. I didn't find them guilty, a jury of their peers found them guilty and one confessed of being guilty. If you want to commment about all this then by all means, it's a pulic form but I'm asking you to let Andrea's sister make a comment if she wants to, she doesn't need your judgement for how she feels. She has been through enough without you getting up and slamming her because she has found a way to release some of the anger she feels.
An area resident

Westmont, IL

#35 Aug 4, 2008
Jorden_23 wrote:
<quoted text>
You know my mother always told me people won't know how dumb you are if you don't open your mouth. First off dumb ass spell his name right it's SHAROD!!. Where did I tell her mom how to feel. and it's not Andrea's tears it was her sisters tears i was talking bout. I feel horrible for their family. I wish that kind of pain on no one. I can't even imagine the hurt they feel everyday. I'm truely sorry for Andrea and her family. Obviously you no nothing about the Lord either. He doesn't get sick of anyone not even ya dumb ass. You act like you know for sure that Sharod killed Andrea, so you were there. Hell No!!! For the record I am in the FAM bitch!!! NO need to score brownie points with them.Your not related to any side so shut your damn mouth, you don't even know us or know what any of us are going thru. We all lost out........ God Bless Andrea's family especially her mom and I'm sorry if I offened any of you
I guess you use vulgar language when you pray too. It does not surprise me in the least what you have said in your reply. A violent, smart mouthed answer. The bible say's a soft answer turneth away wrath. I know i fall short everyday of what He wants me to be. I can see, you do too. I bet you cuss when you pray too. Your "Cuzo" needs an example. I guess he aint getting it from you either. I just don't know what else to say except, it's all such a waste.How sad.
the lil sis is back

United States

#36 Aug 4, 2008
first off, NONE and I mean NONE of you know how i feel! This whole post is about SHAROD! Not Judah. Not Joel. Its about Sharod. Here is this beeter for you ignorant people.. Because of THEM my sister will never get to see all those things and actually BE THERE WITH ME! I didn't think I would have to break it down for everyone to understand me well enough. Yes,I thank Sharod, becaus he helped keep Judah in prison where he belongs, as well as himself and Joel. Now if you have any other questions about how I feel then ask. Dont tell me what to feel and how to feel those things.
The Truth

Westmont, IL

#37 Aug 4, 2008
let me tell you something jorden. you call my wife a bitch and dumb ass one more time, we'll see who the dumb ass is. people knows your messed up family. so you better think before you before you open your mouth. and i know people who knows sharood and he wasn't nothing but a druggy any way. i think he should be fried for what he did.
An area resident

Westmont, IL

#38 Aug 4, 2008
the lil sis is back wrote:
first off, NONE and I mean NONE of you know how i feel! This whole post is about SHAROD! Not Judah. Not Joel. Its about Sharod. Here is this beeter for you ignorant people.. Because of THEM my sister will never get to see all those things and actually BE THERE WITH ME! I didn't think I would have to break it down for everyone to understand me well enough. Yes,I thank Sharod, becaus he helped keep Judah in prison where he belongs, as well as himself and Joel. Now if you have any other questions about how I feel then ask. Dont tell me what to feel and how to feel those things.
Hey Little Sister, I am so sorry if i have said the wrong thing. The victim is the last one i ever want to offend. I never want to even offend a mother of a child who has comitted a horrible crime. I know the mother of the man who killed a young man named Eric Bray in Unionville. She is dead now too but she really hated what he had done and was always apoligizing for him. I will not post again on this thread. May The Lord Bless and keep all of you.
sharon

United States

#39 Aug 5, 2008
An area resident wrote:
<quoted text>Hey Little Sister, I am so sorry if i have said the wrong thing. The victim is the last one i ever want to offend. I never want to even offend a mother of a child who has comitted a horrible crime. I know the mother of the man who killed a young man named Eric Bray in Unionville. She is dead now too but she really hated what he had done and was always apoligizing for him. I will not post again on this thread. May The Lord Bless and keep all of you.
Please understand this comment has nothing to do with you. We appericate your prayers and thoughts going out to us. It's people who get on her and comment when actually they know very little of what we are feeling. Again thank you for your prayers and comments. God Bless you too!!
Da Realest Out Here

Des Plaines, IL

#40 Aug 21, 2008
Caleb Darnell wrote:
All of those boys got what they deserve. And yes they were all guilty especially Sharod!! I hope they rot in that cell!
I dont know u n u dont know me but I felt da need to comment-where u there when it all went down? Are you the damn investigator? I'm sure you are not-therefore stop it with this shit about them rotting in hell-innocent ppl do go to jail n if any of them are guilty because they were found guilty by dna, lie detector tests, and all dat other shit and not becuz someone else made them or accused them of being guilty may god have mercy on their souls- but until then u should shut the hell up. Sharod copped a fucking plea deal thats y he claimed guilty to get a lesser sentece u ass.
Da Realest Out Here

Des Plaines, IL

#41 Aug 21, 2008
I was typing too fast but it should say "sentence" of course.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Metropolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Brianne Garner 12 min Crazycc 4
Popo pups at MCJH 2 hr Jacobe 1
News Registered sex offender arrested in Metropolis ... (Oct '10) 2 hr NusMan 31
david hiens (Sep '12) 2 hr Laughing 31
sarah rigger 2 hr Grind hard 11
718BrewCafe (Mar '16) 2 hr Unimpressed 36
Real reality vs Facebook reality 9 hr Really 9

Metropolis Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Metropolis Mortgages