Motorists Sue Over Jefferson Parish T...

Motorists Sue Over Jefferson Parish Traffic Cameras

There are 91 comments on the WGNO-TV New Orleans story from Feb 2, 2008, titled Motorists Sue Over Jefferson Parish Traffic Cameras. In it, WGNO-TV New Orleans reports that:

Motorists angered after being caught on film allegedly running red traffic lights at busy Jefferson Parish intersections have filed a federal class action lawsuit against the parish and the Australian company ... via WGNO-TV New Orleans

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WGNO-TV New Orleans.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Ricky

AOL

#1 Feb 22, 2008
Is there a list of the location of the cameras at the intersections anywheres?
Louis

AOL

#2 Mar 9, 2008
I am resentful that my privacy has been invaded by a photo alledged to have a violation of red light disregarding signal.Now my vehicle and license number are exposed ,and a traffic officers signature on the violation when not present.
Louis

AOL

#3 Mar 9, 2008
Invalaid violation by phots camera.
dave

New Orleans, LA

#4 Mar 10, 2008
I recently went through an intersection at Carollton and Canal St while the light was still yellow.
Despite the fact that I had nearly passed the opposite side of the street before the light turned red, there were two flashes that probably took photos of my license plate. I anticipate getting notification of "payment due" to the city of New Orleans in short order.
After watching other drivers running red light for years, I was initially in full support of putting these cameras in place.
Now, I have become a victim of a camera that was not properly timed or calibrated.
This process of claiming that drivers of traffic violations are guilty does NOT allow due process of the law.
Because of this factor, as well as countless complaints from citizens in other cities due to lack of due process of the law, traffic cameras of this nature have been removed.
Evidence has proven that in other states, simply increasing the time of the yellow light by 1-1 1/2 seconds can almost eliminate drivers running red lights. I an extra second and a half too much to ask for?
The city of New Orleans would NEVER do something as intelligent as increasing the time span of a yellow light. Why? This is NOT about saftey, it is about creating an additional revenue stream. Since the company that has installed and manages these cameras will collect the majority of the fines against drivers, this is yet another example of our elected leaders bilking its' citizens for more money.
Like the miles of levees that remain ignored and unrepaired, this is yet another insult and an outrage the population of New Orleans has been forced to endure.
Sheila

Marrero, LA

#5 Apr 18, 2008
what does these cameras catch only when you run a light or do they run all the all the time and can the footage be obtained by someone?
Anna B Martin

Paradis, LA

#6 Apr 29, 2008
I just received a notice of default. Ordering me to pay $135.00 for photo red light. This was sent to an old address where I haven't lived since Katrina in Sept. and Oct. 2007. I changed my address with the Post Office in Metairie as soon as I moved into the Apartment. I have a valid drivers license with my current address on them.
I can't say I didn't run the light. I don't remember running a red light. I did go through a yellow light. But the wrong address is what I don't get. I am even a registered voter in Jefferson Parish.
cathy

New Orleans, LA

#7 May 5, 2008
just received a notice. car in my name - so I get the slam. but my husband was driving with elderly parents in the car. based on the photos - he entered the intersection on a yellow light as he was fully past the crosswalk when the red light had been on for "0.70" seconds. going 7 miles below the speed limit (clearly not racing to beat the light.... he left the intersection when the red light had been on for 1.35" secs. to stop suddenly at the crosswalk when the yellow light came on - would have endagered his occupants. if he would have been going the speed limit or sped up to cross faster... maybe the cameras wou;dn't even have caught him. at least a cop on sitght could have evaluated the mitigating circumstances. since when do we as a society stop talking to each other?
Litigator

Dillon, SC

#8 May 5, 2008
Challenge the ticket.Do not put up with this. It is unconstitutional
Why

Port Sulphur, LA

#9 May 29, 2008
I was on the west bank of Jefferson Parish on the evening of May 5, 2007. Clearly you can see that the light is yellow. I was almost crossed the intersection completely. The car on the opposite side of the street were moving as well. If that was the case I would have hit someone from the side. May I just don't understand.
laura

New Orleans, LA

#10 Jun 5, 2008
what is the city code for jefferson parish to view the video of the red light violation?
Marcella Hennessey

United States

#11 Jun 16, 2008
It is obvious this is a scam to make money for the parish. The yellow light is on for only a few seconds before turning red. I was doing 24 mph looking for a street sign when entering this intersection that turned to y
Harold

Gretna, LA

#12 Jun 21, 2008
I just got a ticket for running a red light while making a right turn. There is no sign at this intersection prohibiting a right turn on red, has the law changed? Obviously that camera just take the picture and this clowns just print the ticket without reviewing.

There is a web address in the ticket =ip.photonotice.com This web address cannot be found by any of the search engines, the street name has the wrong spelling.
This is clearly an abuse by the authorities trying to collect more money any way they can.
Of course I will fight this.
Shame on you Mr Parish president

Harold
resident

Slidell, LA

#13 Jul 1, 2008
i just got a notice and based on the date i know it was not me driving my car. when i look at the video and the pics you can not tell who is driving the car. do i have to pay this ticket b/c the title is in my name? In other states that have these cameras (MO)the citizens got organized and prevented the enforcement of these tickets b/c they the driver can't be identified. for example search "columbia, missouri traffic cameras" on google.
deudee

Slidell, LA

#14 Jul 5, 2008
So the website that you can pay the tickets does not exist?
christine

Covington, LA

#15 Jul 6, 2008
as like so many other I also was in the intersection with a yellow light and yes the ticket came in the mail. I was clearly under the speed limit of 40 only doing 21mph. Should we just stop in the intersection now or stop quickly and get hit in the rear, will jefferson parish pay the damages on my vehicle, I work nights and tried to pay the ticket on line but the website does not exist, maybe these tickets dont really exist, and will I get a ticket if I proceed thru the red light with an ambulance behind me, the answer is yes so the next time your loved one has a heart attack or your house is on fire blame the parish and the red light photo shot,
Silva

United States

#16 Jul 9, 2008
So, how do u pay this online???? By the way, I did run it and got busted..... Own up people....
Kelly

Denham Springs, LA

#17 Jul 13, 2008
I just got a ticket for running a red light while making a right turn. There is no sign at this intersection prohibiting a right turn on red, has the law changed? Obviously that camera just take the picture and this clowns just print the ticket without reviewing.
There is a web address in the ticket =ip.photonotice.com This web address cannot be found by any of the search engines, the street name has the wrong spelling.
This is clearly an abuse by the authorities trying to collect more money any way they can.
Of course I will fight this.
Shame on you Mr Parish president
Harold
I just got the same ticket for turning right on red. I went to view my so called violation on the internet and the website will not pull up. The photos mailed to me fail to show that I stopped at the red light and then proceeded to turn right. This is a scam, a $110 scam. I will most definitely contest!
ryan

Metairie, LA

#18 Jul 13, 2008
agreed that there mitigating circumstances exist and that slamming his breaks on is the more dangerous decision, but did he really need to be travelling 7 under? and if so, wouldn't it then be easier to stop for the yellow light? i am sick of drivers moving inconsiderately below the speed limit because they're taking their time commuting. don't you realize there are people who need to be places and your old, incapable ass is causing more hazard!!!
DON

Mandeville, LA

#19 Jul 17, 2008
I received a notice today that I was deliquent in paying a ticket for running a red light on May 22, 2008. The notice says that I have to now pay $135 instead of $110 because I failed to pay the fine within 30 days. The major problem with this is that I never received the original notice of running the red light. After speaking to one of Jeffeson Parish's finest at the PHOTO RED LIGHT ENFORCEMENT PROGRAMS CUSTOMER SERVICE, I was told that the computer shows that the ticket was infact sent out to me. I explained to the "Customer Service" person that I DID NOT RECEIVE THE ORIGINAL TICKET and he again told me that the "COMPUTER SENT IT OUT". I told him I didn't care what the computer said, I DID NOT RECEIVE THE ORIGINAL TICKET. He again proceeded to tell me that there was noting he could do and that I would just have to pay the fine of $135. I hung up with this moron and contacted another person who told me that they would send me out another copy of the ticket and that I would be responsible for the original $110 and that I could pay this right now if I wanted to. I told her that I wanted to see the violation first before I paid anything. I also asked if the violations were sent out by registered mail and she told me NO. I asked her how could they be certain that people received the violations by just sending out violations in the regular mail and she told me that there hasn't been any problems in the past and that if there was a problem then they would just send you a duplicate ticket. I asker her about the penalty and she told me that it would be up to the District Attornet to make that call. Is it just me, or is this just BULLSHIT??? How can an organization enforce a law by just sending tickets out in the mail and not knowing if the person got the ticket, then wanting you to pay a penalty for something that you did not receive? Sounds like a SCAM TO ME!!!!!
Gotmypicturetook

AOL

#20 Aug 19, 2008
I couldn't agree more that this is just another scam to rip off Joe Citizen. No wonder this city is still limping along trying to put itself back together, with a Where's-Waldo mayor, ain't-I-a-big-shot-'cause-I-go tta-gun-no-not-really-u'r-just -a-punk-gang-member, and equally-as-dumb-low-life-two-t iming-drug dealers, we're fighting crime with traffic cameras! Now that traffic cops don't have to make this quota anymore, why are't they catching the real criminals? Put your cameras where the real crime is! Catch a real criminal for a change!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Metairie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
man whatever happened to nola.com 3 hr the real thomas 1
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 5 hr why 21,286
hug a prostitute day in nola Tue thomas 1
saint clair meow meows. omg this morning i saw ... Oct 15 James 2
casserolin grand -n- state Sep 28 e unter 1
see, these aren't the things we want from you '... Sep 28 casserole lock em up 1
The McDonalds murder (Apr '15) Sep 25 Chad Hutcherson 2

Metairie Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Metairie Mortgages