AT&T Premises Technician Pay?...
WAYNE

Westland, MI

#7043 Jun 17, 2013
Billion....How long did it take you to take the test after applying?
WAYNE

Westland, MI

#7044 Jun 17, 2013
Or any1 can answer
Galt76

United States

#7045 Jun 18, 2013
WAYNE wrote:
Billion....How long did it take you to take the test after applying?
One week.
Galt76

United States

#7046 Jun 18, 2013
Sweetdiqjones wrote:
I have to say I'm pretty pissed payday just passed and no one seems to be able to find my live check! It sucks that it takes two pay periods for direct deposit to start and now I am at the mercy of whoever lacked the organizational skills to make sure my paycheck would be accessible to my supervisor.
Your check is at the area manager's location. Your boss's boss. I have to go 15-20 minutes south on 95 to get mine. Sucks...but gotta get the money!
Universe_kg

Hollywood, FL

#7047 Jun 18, 2013
ok so i applied for the Wire Technician position and will be taking my first scheduled test this friday, 6/21/13. i see everyone here talking about their experiences as a Premises Tech, and frankly i've been noticing a lot of negative comments about it. I was wondering if there is a difference between a wire tech & a Prem tech?? if there is, can someone please explain to me what the difference in job function as well as the hourly/salary pay would be?? I'm in the ft. lauderdale area.. thanks guys!!
Milwaukee PT

Plymouth, WI

#7048 Jun 18, 2013
Universe_kg wrote:
ok so i applied for the Wire Technician position and will be taking my first scheduled test this friday, 6/21/13. i see everyone here talking about their experiences as a Premises Tech, and frankly i've been noticing a lot of negative comments about it. I was wondering if there is a difference between a wire tech & a Prem tech?? if there is, can someone please explain to me what the difference in job function as well as the hourly/salary pay would be?? I'm in the ft. lauderdale area.. thanks guys!!
Your question and related have been asked many times before, start on page 312 (Jan 8, 2013) and read forward (32 pages 20 comments per page) after 640 posts all your questions should be answered.

Roll call, if you have been hired since the first of year and still checking in, please comment with update of your experience(s). Thanks in advance.
HopefulPremTech

Covina, CA

#7049 Jun 19, 2013
San Diego Tech wrote:
Thanks for the info Hopeful.
Just got the call today! Now starting on the background check and crossing my fingers that dealing with HireRight isn't as much of a pain as everyone they are. I am very relieved for the call finally and I am sure you will here from them soon. FYI, they called me from a blocked # so I didn't answer the first day and only left a message the 2nd day saying they would make one more attempt to see if I was interested or would move on to other candidates.
techy

Devine, TX

#7050 Jun 19, 2013
hello everybody. can someone explain exactly what a att systems technician does, do they work inside or outside, do they run wires or go up poles, the ins n outs of this position? i have been offered this position because it matches my profile .
Milwaukee PT

Plymouth, WI

#7051 Jun 19, 2013
For tech,congrats you must have a background in Nortel or PBX phone systems, the position sound like a mostly inside job in businesses including home based installing and maintaining voip, phones and internet connections including servers. This is a core position with better pay and bennies than wire tech/ Prem tech positions.From online search :

Our Systems Technicians install, repair and maintain Customer premises and data equipment. What you'll do as an AT&T Systems Technician: Install, maintain, upgrade and modify voice and data equipment and software applications on Customer premises Use sophisticated test equipment, measuring devices, meters and hand tools in analyzing, adjusting, installing, wiring and maintaining communications services facilities Review and interpret service orders and circuit diagrams Perform work in connection with installing, rearranging, removing, testing and repairing various types of data and voice services

In addition to STRONG communication skills, our Systems Technicians must have the following: Experience with Nortel TDM and VOIP PBX systems including Nortel Server based applications Valid state drivers license and non-negligent driving record Meet 295lbs weight limit due to safety restrictions Ability to lift and move up to 60lbs Satisfactory results from a background/employment history investigation and drug screening Qualification on pre-employment screening: Basic Electricity Test Basic Electronics Test Physical Abilities Evaluation (PAE) AT&T - 2 days ago
San Diego Tech

San Diego, CA

#7052 Jun 20, 2013
Great News Hopeful. Hope I get a call soon.
WAYNE

Westland, MI

#7053 Jun 20, 2013
Do the prem tech test have ,Keyhole, top front end view & angle ranking questions?..please let me know so I can study real hard cause I wanna b with u guys and do the hole punch questions have 1 or more holes..please get back so I can get to it

Since: Aug 12

Elk Grove, CA

#7054 Jun 20, 2013
Very happy to report that my husband has completed training (for now) for the Term Splicer position. Week one was pole climbing, week two was safety, week three was copper splicing and then this week there were two days of computer training with the remaining days at his home garage. He has been told that at some point later this year he will go to San Jose for heavy equipment training.

Good news is that his boss was aware that he had fiber experience and said that he is confident because of that experience he will become a career employee in no time! I sure do hope that is the case!

Hopeful......

I found that the people at Hireright were much more cooperative when I contacted them via the live chat late at night. So if you are having problems with people during the day that would be my recommendation. Good luck!
Milwaukee PT

Plymouth, WI

#7055 Jun 22, 2013
Universe_kg wrote:
ok so i applied for the Wire Technician position ....i see everyone here talking about their experiences as a Premises Tech,... I was wondering if there is a difference between a wire tech & a Prem tech?? if there is, can someone please explain to me what the difference in job function as well as the hourly/salary pay would be?? I'm in the ft. lauderdale area.. thanks guys!!
Excerpt:
Several years ago, AT&T created a new job title called Premise Technician (or Prem Tech) that the company used to create a two-tiered wage system.

Prem Techs work inside installing wiring for the companyís Uverse system. Their work is similar but not quite the same as work done by some higher pay grade employees; however, Prem Tech pay is lower, they have few benefits, and they can be sent home without pay if the company deems itís necessary for business reasons. They are essentially a casual workforce.

CWA has been organizing Prem Techs with the goal of getting their pay and benefits up to union standards. In 2007, the union tried to get Prem Techs included in the core bargaining unit that covers the companyís Wireline workers, but the company resisted the attempt.

In the current tentative agreement, the company agreed to include some Prem Techs into the bargaining unit and reclassify them as Wire Techs, a better paying and more stable position.

However, because of the way that AT&T has been restructuring its workforce, some union members are wary of the companyís intentions. They fear that including Prem Techs in the core bargaining unit as Wire Techs without certain limitations on the work they can perform will result in Prem Techs doing work done now by workers earning higher pay grades, putting these jobs at risk.

From http://leftlaborreporter.wordpress.com/2012/1...
calikid

Visalia, CA

#7056 Jun 24, 2013
Hi. I missed a call from HR on may 31 for the splicing tech position. Tried calling a few times and left messages but no one called me back. Now I recieved an email saying that I have an rjp/pta on 6-26 for the prem tech position. I don't want the prem tech position if I can get the splicing tech for more pay. When I first applied I applied for both. I took the t
mt II test and was told I qualified for the splicing tech. Should I Go to the rjp or cancel and wait for them to call about the splicing tech? Or should I Go and ask if I can interview for the splicing tech? Thanks in advance!
Milwaukee PT

Plymouth, WI

#7057 Jun 24, 2013
For calikid, are you working now, if so for how much?
If you have not heard back since end of Mayay for splice tech they have either postponed that position or you are no longer considered a candidate for splice tech only HR could tell you which.

Splice tech is a temp job that would lead to layoff or offered to switch to PT with a reduction in pay at a later date.
PT is a regular full time employment opportunity, to decline the RJP may send the message that your not currently interested in employment with the company meaning you prefer to stay where you are.

If accept RJP and hired as PT, need 30 months from orientation date before being eligible for a title transfer possible I to outside construction job if hiring at that time.
Note: an individual I know hired for InR job 2001, surplussed into PT 2010 (over 5 years able to keep old pay), took temp CSS (Midwest this is OSP/splice title) because of higher pay knowing with his seniority would be eligible to come back to PT when work completed as CSS.

The choice as always is yours, what do you really want and are you willing to walk away if you cannot get your dream job.
calikid

Visalia, CA

#7058 Jun 24, 2013
Thanks milwaukee. Just don't want to take a job for a lower pay if i can get the higher pay. I'm not working yet but will keep you guys posted. Also both jobs are TERM. Did anyone post the pay difference between prem and splice yet for california?
Milwaukee PT

Plymouth, WI

#7059 Jun 24, 2013
Prem tech is a permanent full time position, the following is district 9 (west) current contract pay scales 1st page is PT, pg 17 for OSP, pg 18 for splicer

under wage schedule 12 here: http://cwalocal9421.org/2012%20Wage%20Schedul ...

With no current job something (pt) is better than nothing, if you can afford to wait and are never called then what?
Please go back to age 339, tlavery posts to present, her husband was hired as a splicer in call...do have his background and experience or did you just pass a test that says you could do the job.

Example could do very well on SAT/ACT does not mean I would get the college I want to attend on scholarship (higher pay...splicer) but would I be willing to go to school elsewhere (keep applying to other companies) or pay to be at the school I want to be at (take lower paying PT job to be ATT employee with bennies)

Best to you, HR hopefully could answer if your still a candidate for splicer, showing up for RJP is for Prem tech ( you admit to applying for and passing) if pass PTA offer would be for PT, however if fail or not pass the RJP/PTA, that would I suspect eliminate you as a candidate for splicer. To my knowledge splicers are not interviewed like PT (can you verify this Tlavery)
calikid

Visalia, CA

#7060 Jun 24, 2013
Hi Milwaukee. I read my email from att after I posted and at&t said.

According to our records, you are in the employment process for AT&T TERM Splicing Technician - If you are still interested in being considered for this position, please contact West Network Staffing.
It is very important for you to contact me by 06/24/2013 if you are still interested in being considered for this position.

Thank you for your interest in AT&T!

I emailed back. Why would they only give me a few hours to respond? Good thing I checked my email before I left the house. Now what? Go to the RJP/PTA or wait for at&t to contact me? Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate it.
Bobby Deuce

South San Francisco, CA

#7061 Jun 24, 2013
calikid wrote:
Hi Milwaukee. I read my email from att after I posted and at&t said.
According to our records, you are in the employment process for AT&T TERM Splicing Technician - If you are still interested in being considered for this position, please contact West Network Staffing.
It is very important for you to contact me by 06/24/2013 if you are still interested in being considered for this position.
Thank you for your interest in AT&T!
I emailed back. Why would they only give me a few hours to respond? Good thing I checked my email before I left the house. Now what? Go to the RJP/PTA or wait for at&t to contact me? Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate it.
Definitely go to your RJP/PTA. Just get your foot in the door and hope that afterwards you qualify. There are a lot of us still waiting on our phone calls. I read and check this forum everyday just to see everybodys opinion and good news. Who knows. You may be that next "good news" story. Where is you RJP/PTA at by the way? Socal? Norcal? I had one on the 6th of June and I'm still waiting on a call. But ya know a job is a job. And its better than doing nothing. Get some experience and what not. You'll do great. Best of luck yo.
tlavery

Elk Grove, CA

#7062 Jun 25, 2013
My husband just did a phone interview. Not sure how that is different than interviews for PT if at all. He didn't go in for a test either. He did say that he took the test MANY years ago (over 15 years ago), so maybe that is why he didn't have to do it again. Or it could be that they got a call from someone high up at the union who was helping him get the process started for this position. I just don't know.

I am happy to report he has finally gotten to start work out in the field. He was getting sick and tired of being in an office and doing computer work. Sounds as though the quota they need to complete is more than reasonable. He comes from working with Surewest where he had to work through his breaks and sometimes his lunches just to keep up with the work because there was no one else to come help him.......and he is fast! So this is a welcome change!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mesquite Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Dallas-County 1 mins ago 12:33 p.m.New PETA bil... 2 hr amy donovan 1
trump entertainsr back door tax cuts for the RICH 9 hr WarForOil 3
News Gas near $3 a gallon (Jan '11) 14 hr ThomasA 117
Add A Word Drop A Word (Nov '12) 17 hr Princess Hey 1,531
gasmonkey garage-rude (Dec '13) Jun 25 a fan 22
News Continue reading Hundreds join Jordan Edwards' ... Jun 25 I P Standing 3
News Mesquite pizza delivery driver fatally shoots t... May '17 Mercpatriot 1

Mesquite Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance