AT&T Premises Technician Pay?...
KCC

East Tulare County, CA

#6342 Nov 19, 2012
I took the mech test on the first as well. We all got an email on the 7th to go do our RJP and PTA on the 13th. I guess it's possible they just went with the highest scorers. If I remember correctly they were looking to fill 5 positions that worked from 11am to 7pm.

At least you have that mech test out of the way. Good luck.
tech wannabe

New York, NY

#6343 Nov 19, 2012
I dont know if I should take this job after after reading what they do to you. Why take a job that will fire you during training.
tech wannabe

Brooklyn, NY

#6344 Nov 19, 2012
Anyone get a hiring call for Los Angeles recently?
POTSTECH

Des Moines, IA

#6345 Nov 19, 2012
http://www.att.com/Common/about_us/files/pdf/...

Is this true? If so what will the WIRE TECH top out at in 3yrs in Georgia?
los angeles tech

Los Angeles, CA

#6346 Nov 23, 2012
tech wannabe wrote:
La tech
Whats it like working in la garage? is it really as bad as everyones saying
it s not bad at all.. but we have to know alots of different things..we deal with regular internet( IPDSL ), even POTS(plain old phone sig.), uverse internet (VDSL). and uverse TV everyday in downtone L.A. and around area..strong union and micro mngmnt..as long as we do our job, we are fine..and there were alot of overtime available almost everyday for last 3 yrs..
tech wannabe

Newport News, VA

#6347 Nov 23, 2012
los angeles tech wrote:
<quoted text>
it s not bad at all.. but we have to know alots of different things..we deal with regular internet( IPDSL ), even POTS(plain old phone sig.), uverse internet (VDSL). and uverse TV everyday in downtone L.A. and around area..strong union and micro mngmnt..as long as we do our job, we are fine..and there were alot of overtime available almost everyday for last 3 yrs..
Thanks for the info la tech, I applied for the la area. I passed both tests and now Im waiting for tjem to call me and offer me the job. From everthing ive heard about this job , im a little afraid to take it if they offer it to me. I dont mind the mirco management or the hours, its the part about them trying get you fired during training. Can you give me a little advice on how to survive the job if I get it.
future prem tech Alabama

Mobile, AL

#6348 Nov 23, 2012
Just thought I'd post my full hiring process timeline for any prospective Prem Techs that might be reading this discussion like I did.

I haven't posted here yet, but reading this discussion gave me some insight and confidence on the excruciatingly long hiring process to work for AT&T. Every time I felt pessimistic about my chances, I'd read here and see that it often takes a very long time between steps to move forward in the hiring process. This discussion was helpful, and I'm now awaiting the "Job offer package" to finish this thing up.

On paper, I'm under-qualified for the Prem Tech position. I've had summer jobs, but I've never had a long-term job. My jobs range from a Subway sandwich-maker to a grunt collector for a car loan company. Never had an outdoor job.
I am very good with tech though. I built my first computer at 15, and took some Cisco networking courses in high school/college.
I'm 22 years old and am a part time college student that wants to work full-time and take night classes. AT&T was totally cool with that, and said they'll work with me so I can go to school.

Early January, 2012 - I submitted my application and resume on the AT&T jobs website.

Late January, 2012 - I took the computer assessment test at Pearson and "Qualified". Didn't hear anything from AT&T after that.

Early March, 2012 - Sent AT&T an email asking if I was still being considered for the position. I got a response saying there were a ton of candidates applying, and they were only taking the best. It implied that I didn't have much of a chance.

May, 2012 - Applied for Mediacom installer position, was interviewed and rejected.

July, 2012 - Reapplied at AT&T, didn't have to take the test. Job posting ended in August, and never heard a thing.

Early September, 2012 - Reapplied at AT&T. Didn't have to take the test.

Late October, 2012 - Got an email from AT&T asking if I was still interested in the job. I responded, "yes I am" and answered a few basic questions for them.

Late October, 2012, A few days after the email - Got a response from AT&T inviting me to a "Realistic Job Preview" and "Premises Tech Assessment".

Late October, 2012 - Went to the "RJP" and "PTA". They didn't sugar-coat anything in the RJP. They were very clear that the job will often have unpredictable hours, and that we will often deal with pissed off customers. There were 4 other candidates there, and all of them had prior experience installing for other companies. I was the only one who didn't.
The PTA was an interview. They asked hypothetical questions and typed the transcript on a computer. They were very optimistic afterwards.

-November 13, 2012 - Received a call from HR telling me about the job, and confirming some things I had on my application. They told me my pay would be $14/hour. After accepting a verbal job offer, I filled out a background check form on Hireright. I went the next day for a physical/drug test.

-November 16,2012 - Logged into HireRight, and saw I passed the background check/drug test.

-November 23, 2012 - Got a call from HR telling me I was good to go for training in early December. I should expect an email this weekend with some paperwork I need to fill out, then I'll be good to go.

So from early January to early December, it took 11 months for me to go from application to training. I'm in south Alabama BTW.

So to anyone out there that is down about not hearing from them for a while, remember that no news is good news. If you've gone to the RJP and haven't heard from them, it means you haven't been rejected. So stick it out and don't lose hope. It sometimes takes a very long time to work for them.

Also, I constantly was logging into my AT&T jobs account to see if it was updated. My application still says "Testing Status Update" even though I've been offered a job. So don't rely on their website to tell you anything. They don't always update it.
Lucifer

West Palm Beach, FL

#6349 Nov 24, 2012
What do they start Primtechs off at? Does it vary?
PT SE Region 3 wrote:
<quoted text>
When I went through the hiring process it took 2-3 weeks after the RJP to receive a call from HR. She said I would receive another call later that day for a quick interview and they will offer me a starting salary. About an hour went by and that call came in. After we spoke for a couple minutes and I agreed to the stating hourly wage I was told HR would call me back.
1 hour later HR called and asked me what yard I would like to work in. I was given two choices both in my immediate are. Once I picked a yard I was told I would receive an email for my drug test and physical about a week later.
5 days passed why waiting for my drug test result. Once HR received them " passing of course" I was sent another email login with some terms and papers that needed to be digitally signed.
I was also sent an email on how to start the hireright background check. I would recommend to start finding your W-2's for the last 5 years. Starting and ending paystubs "if you have them" dates of any schooling, emplyment addresses, supervisor's names and # numbers , addresses you lived at, and auto tickets. This will expedite the process.
Once you pass your way through hireright I called my HR rep and she gave me a start date for school about 30 days later.
Hope I was able to fill some of those blanks.
SoCalPremTech

Whittier, CA

#6350 Nov 29, 2012
Looking forward to starting the PT job I will be working in Los Angeles. The entire hiring process took less than a month to complete. I understand it has its up's and down's but what job doesn't.
tech wannabe

Tulare, CA

#6351 Nov 29, 2012
SoCalPremTech wrote:
Looking forward to starting the PT job I will be working in Los Angeles. The entire hiring process took less than a month to complete. I understand it has its up's and down's but what job doesn't.
When did you apply and when do you start training?
SoCalPremTech

United States

#6352 Nov 29, 2012
tech wannabe wrote:
<quoted text>
When did you apply and when do you start training?
10/16/12: applied online

10/30/12: took prem tech assessment test

11/6/12: attended RJP/PTA

11/8/12: got the call from AT&T staffing manager with a tentative job offer.

11/9/12: drug test, background check started

11/16/12: got the call that I passed everything and I was officially a AT&T new hire.

I have orientation on 12/7 and start training on 12/10.
tech wannabe

Brooklyn, NY

#6353 Nov 30, 2012
Congratulations my friend.
Dallas hopeful

Mesquite, TX

#6354 Nov 30, 2012
Got the call today for official offer. Dallas training starts 12/17. Less than 2 months from app online to offer call

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#6355 Dec 5, 2012
There's a Cheshire Cat/Rat among us.
He and his buddy came over from core via surplus a little less than three years ago. He's real buddy, buddy with management. In fact management sends him out to follow up on tech's repeats. He'll take pictures of what he considers a problem and sends them to management. Mind you he himself and his buddy are not considered competent techs by the majority. He talks out loud about techs that have confided in him. His favorite subject is himself. As prem tech workdays go this guy has it easy. He's made himself an important resource for management. He talks from both sides of his mouth. It all depends on who he's standing in front of at the time. Anyone, besides this guy, who says that this job is easy is cutting too many corners. Hey, sometimes it's a 2-story 3,000sq ft house with no pre-existing coax and a rat's nest of Cat3 not to mention the mess or the beauty of the inside and it's only 6 STB's. Then the customer tells you they don't want any holes in their walls. Challenging? Most of the time(in differing degrees). Easy? Sometimes.
Newbies in training prepare yourselves to hit the ground running. Buddy up with someone in training whose headed to the same yard. Everyone needs help out here in one way or another. You need a buddy network. The Golden Rule applies in the workplace but apparently our Union Steward doesn't think so.
Future Tech So Cal

El Cajon, CA

#6356 Dec 5, 2012
SoCalPremTech wrote:
<quoted text>
10/16/12: applied online
10/30/12: took prem tech assessment test
11/6/12: attended RJP/PTA
11/8/12: got the call from AT&T staffing manager with a tentative job offer.
11/9/12: drug test, background check started
11/16/12: got the call that I passed everything and I was officially a AT&T new hire.
I have orientation on 12/7 and start training on 12/10.
Where are you doing training? in LA or in another city? I was told at the RJP that if we got the job we wouldn't have a choice in the training location. They said it could be in in OC or SD or some other locations in Cali? And are they paying you full pop for training? Thanks for any info.
5 years in michigan

Clarkston, MI

#6358 Dec 13, 2012
please post ur top pay for ur state or district please
Michigan district 4 is $21.50
5 years in michigan

Clarkston, MI

#6359 Dec 13, 2012
thetechformerlyknownaspt wrote:
<quoted text>
this job isn't worth the extra 50% TRUST ME
you will be back at lowes with in 2 years weather u want to or not
MAC10

Katy, TX

#6360 Dec 13, 2012
$20.56 Texas District 6
ftl

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#6362 Dec 18, 2012
just apply at comcast the start at 12.50 and top out around 27 8 dollars is a joke cashiers get more
SoCalPremTech

South San Francisco, CA

#6363 Dec 18, 2012
Sorry for the delay I was actually in training for the past week and a half. Top pay out here in CA is $22.30. Union contract is being ratified an not sure what changes will take place.

During training you get paid full pay. And yes you will have to travel if you're fortunate. Lol

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mesquite Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Garland Soccer (Mar '15) 12 hr Soapboxmom 33
Shane on you! Fri Shane on you too 2
News Dallas-area immigrants stung by Supreme Court vote Fri guest 5
America 1st, Trump Number1 Thu they are freaks 8
News Christine Wicker: Learning to Talk About God an... (Sep '10) Jun 23 I knew him 27
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Jun 13 robert 994
Electric Company in Mesquite Apr '16 QuickConnect 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Mesquite Mortgages