Mesquite, Terrell and Forney ask DART...

Mesquite, Terrell and Forney ask DART to explore service

There are 34 comments on the Dallas Morning News story from Sep 13, 2008, titled Mesquite, Terrell and Forney ask DART to explore service. In it, Dallas Morning News reports that:

High gasoline prices and crowded roads are prompting three non-DART member cities to ask the agency to explore transit options for them.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Dallas Morning News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
it is time

Dallas, TX

#21 Mar 28, 2009
I have lived in Mesquite my entire life. Gangs were not a factor in the 60's 70's it started becoming a problem in the early 80's. In the 60's and 70's we had drug problems that people thought was ok. Public transportation is not the problem with these issues the problem is not enough officers to work in these areas. We need public transportation every where.
Rep wrote:
I ride the train and bus everyday and the crime element is a factor. Just take a ride after dark. It's not a race thing because all races are present and accounted for...especially with the new economy. I grew up in Mesquite and there were gangs and drugs in the 60's. I would be wary traveling out there on public transit...just like in Garland. Take a gun, knife and pepper spray.
Rep

Richardson, TX

#22 Mar 28, 2009
In 1966 at I.N.Range Elementary you couldn't go home without a fight at least once a week. At Vanston JH in 1967 the principal outlawed all black clothing to quell gangs and try and get a hold on drugs. He also put a stop to folding pants inward at the cuff so you couldn't hide drugs. In 1969 N Mesquite HS opened and kids tried to get out of the problems at Mesquite HS and jumped out of the frying pan into the fire. At N Mesquite in 1970 at least 2 students overdosed at the school. Where were you? I guess you didn't meet at the field in 1971 for a knife fight.
Rep

Richardson, TX

#23 Mar 28, 2009
Also, the hepatitis problem from dirty heroin needles, the motorcycle guys from the Grove and Bruton Terrace, all back in the 70's. It was a good experience I guess. We all learned to fight and depend on ourselves for protection.
FastEddy

Dallas, TX

#24 Mar 29, 2009
The only thing anybody overdosed on in Mesquite back in the '70s was copenhagen.
it is time

United States

#25 Apr 12, 2009
That is the truth!! We had alot of Cowboy's at MHS. Not sure where the other person got his information. I guest we had a few Bikers and they did live a hard life.
FastEddy wrote:
The only thing anybody overdosed on in Mesquite back in the '70s was copenhagen.
Rita-Mesquite res 40yrs

Dallas, TX

#26 Aug 18, 2009
It's not so quiet here anymore. I live close to the LBJ and can hear the hushed sounds of traffic everyday, except Sunday. Dart is spreading all over the metroplex and most people can now park and ride or take the train to major areas. We have a great police force and any unwanted trouble you speak of allready comes from our residents!
Rita

Dallas, TX

#27 Aug 18, 2009
their building a biger lot.
Rita

Dallas, TX

#28 Aug 18, 2009
I've lived in Mesquite for 40yrs. Drugs have not been a major problem, but thief has. If you read the Mesquite news, we do have have thief and domestic violence, etc. Mesquite is growing and we do need more police officers with that growth. I think it's in the future plans. My 15yr old Gr. Son rides the train, by himself to downtown Dallas from Plano with no problems.It's not like they are going to dump you off the bus into a dark alley somewhere!
alex

United States

#29 Aug 31, 2010
I have one car my wife had to do her intern and she works in the morning and the intern is at night. Don't have a way to get home live in forny and work in Dallas
Mesquite Citizen

Dallas, TX

#30 Dec 22, 2010
This is not a simple vote to say yes or NO!
It takes money and WAY TO MUCH OF IT. What proponents of this are not telling you is what we are going to have to give up to pay for this. What services that you enjoy today will require additional TAXES and cost you more or you will need to learn to do without?
To finance the use of Light Rail by a very very small percentage of Mesquite residents, TAXES will need to change. Currently according to City of Mesquites website as to why we currently do not have DART, it is because we take that extra 1% sales TAX that normally goes to DART in other cities and we have previously chosen to use it in other more beneficial ways. So, first, we would have to either reverse those two TAXES by RAISING property tax and drop the 4B program that is continually praised for improving our cities transportation and park system and transfer those TAXES into DART Light Rail Money, again to only be used by a small percentage of the total Mesquite Population.
Don't fool yourself. We are wasting money every minute the City "Explores this option"
Everyone that lives in and or visits Mesquite is paying for the grand illusions of a small group of individuals that want DART Rail at any expense.
People need to think about how we get from A to Z and who is paying for it before they just arbitrarily say,“I’m for Light Rail”.. Nothing is Free and something will always cost more than what others forecast
I been had

Irving, TX

#31 Dec 22, 2010
The people that would never use the system will be the ones that are forced to pay for it.
NODART

United States

#32 Feb 27, 2011
please wrote:
We need Dart in Mesquite!! Please let us get some relief.
I lived in Dallas for many years and used the bus service only to get from my home to downtown Dallas to my job. I only traveled during peak hours and never had a problem. However, I would never have depended on bus service alone to get where I wanted to go. In 1982 I moved to Mesquite because I felt MISD offered a better school system than DISD. I knew when I moved to Mesquite there was no bus service and I would need to drive my vehicle to my job. I did this until I retired. Never a problem, never missed riding the bus. My husband also drove to his job. He had previously used bus service in Dallas. I have talked to people in other suburbs (Irving and Garland) who have told me crime in their neighborhoods did increase when DART came to town. I believe them. When you have transportation for about a dollar to go all over the metroplex, this gives cheap access to every part of town for those that wish to commit crimes. Get on the bus, go to what ever part of town they wish, scope out the neighborhoods for a few days, determine when people leave home, when they return, and that there are only working people on the street and they are gone for most of the day -- gives them lots of opportunity to break in, take small items (credit cards, jewelry, small electronics, money, etc) place it in their back pack and then jump on the bus and return to the part of town they came from. No one sees anything, no witness, no strange vehicles seen in the neighborhood. I do not want DART in Mesquite. If you live in Mesquite now, you obviously came here knowing we had no public transportation system. So deal with it!! Or move where they have public transportation!! If you don't drive, then call a cab!! Don't tell me they are too expensive. If you don't have a car, then you are not paying for vehicle insurance, maintenance, gas, or a car payment. So take the $300 plus dollars you would be spending and call a cab!! Or buy your friend or neighbor a tank of gas and get them to take you where you need to go!!

Royse City, TX

#33 Sep 4, 2012
Please reconsider your support for a DART expansion into Forney. I was born and raised in Garland. I too was excited about the transit system coming to my town. Now I wish it had never come along. It does increase the crime rate and it also provided the homeless population with a new place to find sanctuary at night. I have witnessed it with my own eyes living just a mile from the main transit center in downtown Garland. I've spent the passed 8 years searching for a new home town and ended up choosing Forney. I pray hard that DART does not expand to Forney. I am loving Forney but I will not hesitate to move my family again in order to avoid living in a city with DART access.
Dennis Teel

United States

#34 Jan 3, 2013
Seagoville doesn't contract with dart for that very reason.the only ghetto crap that Seagoville gets are the people from balch springs and pleasant grove that drive here to shop our walmart.the morons!wish they'd stay in their own areas

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mesquite Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Paul Ryan budget proposal threatens housing aid... 3 hr Justicia 136
News Texas' battle over teaching evolution comes dow... 4 hr pshun2404 5
Black Thug Watch. Name the black thug criminals... 5 hr everyone knows be... 14
AT&T Premises Technician Pay?... (Oct '07) 7 hr James 9,757
Looking for my brother who i havent seen since ... Tue paradise 2
News Suspected voter fraud in Grand Prairie fits sam... Tue B- Moore 1
Ed Taiwo Continental Parts Company Mon Greg Knight 2

Mesquite Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance