Martinez wants to grade schools

Martinez wants to grade schools

There are 29 comments on the Alamogordo Daily News story from Feb 15, 2011, titled Martinez wants to grade schools. In it, Alamogordo Daily News reports that:

SANTA FE Gov. Susana Martinez's proposal to give every public school a letter grade of A through F gained political momentum Monday, as state senators endorsed it.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Alamogordo Daily News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Pro-Constitution , Anti-Obama!”

Since: May 10

Capitan, NM

#22 Feb 15, 2011
Hears a thought....quit educating illegals. That would save MILLIONS!!!!
State of Education

United States

#23 Feb 15, 2011
Chaos Undercover wrote:
Education in this nation is terrible! Did you know that the MAJORITY of the Jersey Shore cast has atleast a bachelor's degree. There's even a master's floating around in there!!!! Look it up...
Mike

Alamogordo, NM

#24 Feb 16, 2011
Chaos Undercover wrote:
There aren't many.......if ANY illegals in the Alamogordo School System.

The problem with our failing schools is only a SYMPTOM of a problem and not the problem itself.

The problem is we have shifted culturally, and as a society into a nation in which education is just not valued.....by students or the majority of parents.

Poor performance, bad grades, and discipline problems nowdays are most often viewed by parents as the fault of the teachers and the schools rather than the student!

Meanwhile, most parents view school as a tax paid entitlement daycare program. They expect schools to badysit their little brats who come to school with absolutely NO interest in learning.....to feed them (often for free), take care of their medical and emotional needs, and so on.

Consequently, teachers spend most of their day managing the behavioral problems of the 80 percent of the students who probably shouldn't even be allowed a public school education in the first place at the expense of the other 20 percent who actually WANT to learn!

Give public schools the power to tell the parents of these behaviorally challenged little monsters "We're sorry.....but we have NO place for your child in our school system given these behavioral issues," kick them out and make their education the sole responsibility of the parents instead of the schools.

Then you will see school "performance" skyrocket!
TempNewMexican

Albuquerque, NM

#25 Feb 16, 2011
teach wrote:
<quoted text>
By the way, they locked my building up and wouldn't let teachers in. And on inservice days, I allow kids to come in during my lunch, as I do almost every day anyway, to give them extra help. Don't judge the rest of us by your teacher friend.
She's not my friend, first and foremost.
Hola

La Luz, NM

#26 Feb 16, 2011
Thanks for being one of the teachers, and I didn't say 'few', who really does have an interest in children's education.

Just weighing in with my 2-cents. My kid came home and reported that 2 of his/her AP teachers, government and calculus specifically, were disgusted that even more time would be taken from them and their students. So I guess it's all in who your kids' teachers are and who you are as a teacher.
teach wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, if a teacher does stay home on that snow day, he or she has to take leave.
And I AM a teacher. I'm upset that we lost those teaching days, including the forgiven ones. Maybe I just care more about education and my opportunity to be part of it.
teach

Santa Fe, NM

#27 Feb 16, 2011
TempNewMexican wrote:
<quoted text>
She's not my friend, first and foremost.
In that case, since she's not your friend, maybe she isn't as believable as you thought. You were the one who repeated what she said.
WoW

Albuquerque, NM

#28 Feb 17, 2011
My child has a very dedicated teacher who wants him to succeed. Not all teachers are bad...but there are a more than a few that make the rest look bad and that is a shame.
MrBill

Carlsbad, NM

#29 Feb 17, 2011
The problem starts at home. Parents want the schools to raise their children.How many single parents do each of you know? No child left behind is also a huge mistake. I also there is a problem in administration, our children should not be treated like robots, they are all different and have different needs. But ultimately it starts in the home or lack there of.
proud2teach

Cloudcroft, NM

#30 Feb 17, 2011
I am a teacher and I just had to weigh in. I can not believe that we have to go in on that "snow day" (April 1st) WITHOUT students! It seems that our time with kids during the days we DO have them gets shorter and shorter and we are further and further behind and then we do GET (notice I did not say HAVE) to make up a full day and they have us make it up with NO students there? There are some teachers that will rejoice in the time they have to get themselves caught up with the mountains and mountains of paperwork that they are required to do, but I would much rather set that aside and take care of it on MY time and use that "snow day" to actually TEACH my students.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mesilla Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 23 hr USS LIBERTY 72,033
News Felon pleads guilty to possessing firearm Thu Gloria 1
News Martinez prefers to stick to issues (Jun '10) Jul 19 hotincleveland 6,877
KING OBAMA and billary too! Jul 17 Bloodonhishands 1
News Las Cruces Mayor Ken Miyagishima to seek divorce (Aug '12) Jul 14 Roflo 14
News Breaking: Two arrested in fatal Las Cruces shoo... (Oct '08) Jul 12 EmJ 66
nita tredway/rusak (Mar '15) Jul 10 Nita rusak 12

Mesilla Park Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Mesilla Park Mortgages