Las Cruces man indicted on charges as...

Las Cruces man indicted on charges associated with pedestrian fatality

There are 19 comments on the Las Cruces Sun-News story from Jul 23, 2010, titled Las Cruces man indicted on charges associated with pedestrian fatality. In it, Las Cruces Sun-News reports that:

A grand jury has indicted a 26-year-old Las Cruces man on charges he struck two pedestrians, killing one, while driving drunk last month.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Las Cruces Sun-News.

wondering

Las Cruces, NM

#1 Jul 24, 2010
Is the establishment that served him going to get into trouble as well? 10 drinks is a lot!
All Im Saying

United States

#3 Jul 24, 2010
wondering wrote:
Is the establishment that served him going to get into trouble as well? 10 drinks is a lot!
Why would they get in trouble? They provided a service to him. It was his responsibility for self control. Just like you go out and buy a car. Then you use the car and kill a person, or people, does the dealership get in trouble for giving you a car? No, that is because it is your responsibility and the dealership provided a service to you.

“Your DQCC Limit is Maxed!”

Since: Sep 08

In Utero (originally)

#4 Jul 24, 2010
Well, I'm glad that all those that had been in such denial about this young man's irresponsible reckless behavior and were blaming the victims, when this story first broke, aren't here making all their excuses and being combative with those that were calling for accountability. It was absolutely disgusting to see them literally blaming the victims.

It is a sad situation all the way around, the victim's and their families' lives have forever been altered...just as Nick Tomlin's and his family's has been impacted. I don't believe Mr. Tomlin deliberately set out to kill anyone; however, it doesn't condone or excuse his choice to drive intoxicated.

As for the bar that he was patronizing, they do hold some responsibility in serving someone who is already intoxicated. The problem will be proving that he displayed/exhibited clear signs of intoxication that would have warranted they cease serving him alcoholic beverages. Establishments serving alcohol and their employees are required to take classes to be certified in serving and selling alcohol, and part of that training is when to quit serving someone. So for the person who feels they are exempt from prosecution in their role...wrong.

In Utero (originally)

#7 Jul 24, 2010
Emily Glasscock wrote:
<quoted text>
you need to learn how to spell
a real texan wrote:
<quoted text>
Aare you(use)
stupid or what!!!
Come on now folks, let's not change the topic to spelling please. Just so you know, his misspellings are deliberate and part of his satire. ;-) Clearly it works at provoking people for different reasons.
pffff

Las Cruces, NM

#8 Jul 24, 2010
Huh?
Emily Glasscock

Las Cruces, NM

#9 Jul 24, 2010
Not really, the only thing that provokes me is the fact that I actually know Nick. And all though I do not condone his actions and it really rip's me apart for what happened, he doesn't deserve half the comment's he has been receiving. I can't stop how people feel, and I certainly cannot stop what happened to the victims or their families, I am at a loss for what I can and should not say.
Everyone with a heart, soul and intelligence feel's unjust for the families affected, and on the other the friend's and family of Nick are just as affected.
He really is a good person at heart, and I know he did not do this purposefully, and will spend the entire time feeling exactly what all of you are wishing upon him. In that you should stop the hate remarks or atlas keep it low tone. It may be too much to ask but, I will ask it!
and thats the truth

Las Cruces, NM

#10 Jul 24, 2010
.....and chances are that he'll be out driving before the weekend is over since repeatedly DWI offenders are often released on bail and otherwise forgotten by the system until they get stopped again for another DWI.
Besides killing another person isn't illegal in Las Cruces, just ask any cop!!
and thats the truth

Las Cruces, NM

#11 Jul 24, 2010
Juan Motize wrote:
Tomlin use are a scums bag. Juan hopes some ones takes care of use in prison. Next to baby rapers use are next! Hope too here of yor early demise's!
Could you repeat this babble in English please. This is the United States and English is the nation's language. Baby talk isn't acceptable except in Texas.
Such Indignation

Las Cruces, NM

#12 Jul 24, 2010
"Not really, the only thing that provokes me is the fact that I actually know Nick. And all though I do not condone his actions and it really rip's me apart for what happened, he doesn't deserve half the comment's he has been receiving. I can't stop how people feel, and I certainly cannot stop what happened to the victims or their families, I am at a loss for what I can and should not say.
Everyone with a heart, soul and intelligence feel's unjust for the families affected, and on the other the friend's and family of Nick are just as affected.
He really is a good person at heart, and I know he did not do this purposefully, and will spend the entire time feeling exactly what all of you are wishing upon him. In that you should stop the hate remarks or atlas keep it low tone. It may be too much to ask but, I will ask it!"
Thank you Emily.
Well said.
Nicholas, we love you. <3

In Utero (originally)

#13 Jul 24, 2010
Emily Glasscock wrote:
Not really, the only thing that provokes me is the fact that I actually know Nick. And all though I do not condone his actions and it really rip's me apart for what happened, he doesn't deserve half the comment's he has been receiving. I can't stop how people feel, and I certainly cannot stop what happened to the victims or their families, I am at a loss for what I can and should not say.
He really is a good person at heart, and I know he did not do this purposefully, and will spend the entire time feeling exactly what all of you are wishing upon him. In that you should stop the hate remarks or atlas keep it low tone. It may be too much to ask but, I will ask it!
Ms. Glasscock, I meant no disrespect to you, the other commentator, or the Tomlins. Just as you were bothered by the comments directed at Nick, I was not only bothered by some of those comments but more so by the ones directed at the victims of this tragedy. I believe that everyone's life has been negatively effected by this ordeal. It's sad that Nick couldn't have gotten himself in a program to help him overcome his addiction, especially in light of the fact that he'd already had it become problematic in his life. I personally hope that he can get the help he needs, counseling to deal with the guilt & remorse he must feel for the victims and for the disappointment he has caused his parents. That's a lot to deal with for anyone.

People can be very cruel on the forums, and if the comments turn negative...sometimes it's just best to refrain reading them because some people do thrive on negativity and being cruel.

I do feel for all involved.
051xinmate hatch nm

Albuquerque, NM

#14 Jul 24, 2010
and thats the truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Could you repeat this babble in English please. This is the United States and English is the nation's language. Baby talk isn't acceptable except in Texas.
how would you (use) like a TEXAS boot up your a/s/s?????
AggieLC

Albuquerque, NM

#15 Jul 24, 2010
The bar is liable under the third-party liability law. By time the victims family gets done with the bar in the law suit, which i hope they file, the bar will be closed and the amount of money that the owner will have to pay will be huge. Any bar that would have allowed a patron to drink 10 drinks or even just one after someone has had 9 drinks some where else should be held liable.
Sheesh

Las Cruces, NM

#16 Jul 24, 2010
All Im Saying wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would they get in trouble? They provided a service to him. It was his responsibility for self control. Just like you go out and buy a car. Then you use the car and kill a person, or people, does the dealership get in trouble for giving you a car? No, that is because it is your responsibility and the dealership provided a service to you.
Spoken like a true Democrat. There is always someone else to blame.
Sheesh

Las Cruces, NM

#17 Jul 24, 2010
wondering wrote:
Sorry, I intended to reply to this one.
WTF

Manassas, VA

#18 Jul 24, 2010
..Why in the hell was he severed alcohol in the first place! The bartenders didn't look at his license?? As a server it is there responsibility to check all licenses to the people they serve even if they our obviously over the age of 21 for the simple fact of they can't even consume alcohol or even step foot in the establishment if they have an interlock license it is printed in bold letters!!! How can these idiots at the game even let this happen? If he was convicted of a DWI his license would say INTERLOCK This shouldn't have happened in the FN begining I hope this bar closes down and the family will sue the bar for every penny they have made because he shouldnt have been served alcohol in the beginning! WTF 10 drinks on top of that!!! These families are forever changed because of the lazyness in checking ids... And mrs.glasscock you are an idot to!!! Just because this didn't happen to your family you wouldn't say these things!!! Bottom line it is his fault for getting behind the wheel while under the influence but it shouldn't have happened!!!
How Dare You

Huntsville, AL

#20 Jul 24, 2010
How dare you LCSN? On the online homepage you have a headline reading: "Las Cruces man indicted on charges associated with pedestrian fatality", but you have a photo of the victim that died. It's like suggesting he was the person charged with the crime.

Who the heck at LCSN is so insensitive to the victims of this DUI related accident? Better yet, who at LCSN is trying to help the Tomlins take the focus away from Nick?

Get rid of your layout editor if they can't do their job right or with morals.
Pixie Dust

United States

#22 Jul 25, 2010
Such Indignation wrote:
"Not really, the only thing that provokes me is the fact that I actually know Nick. And all though I do not condone his actions and it really rip's me apart for what happened, he doesn't deserve half the comment's he has been receiving. I can't stop how people feel, and I certainly cannot stop what happened to the victims or their families, I am at a loss for what I can and should not say.
He really is a good person at heart, and I know he did not do this purposefully, and will spend the entire time feeling exactly what all of you are wishing upon him. In that you should stop the hate remarks or atlas keep it low tone. It may be too much to ask but, I will ask it!"
Thank you Emily.
Well said.
Nicholas, we love you. <3
I'm sorry but putting yourself behind the wheel of a vehicle DRUNK, then running over someone is Premediated MURDER! Good person or not..HE made HIS choice! MOST IGNORANT Choice!
im just sayin

Albuquerque, NM

#23 Jul 25, 2010
WTF wrote:
..Why in the hell was he severed alcohol in the first place! The bartenders didn't look at his license?? As a server it is there responsibility to check all licenses to the people they serve even if they our obviously over the age of 21 for the simple fact of they can't even consume alcohol or even step foot in the establishment if they have an interlock license it is printed in bold letters!!! How can these **** at the game even let this happen? If he was convicted of a DWI his license would say INTERLOCK This shouldn't have happened in the FN begining I hope this bar closes down and the family will sue the bar for every penny they have made because he shouldnt have been served alcohol in the beginning! WTF 10 drinks on top of that!!! These families are forever changed because of the lazyness in checking ids... And mrs.glasscock you are an idot to!!! Just because this didn't happen to your family you wouldn't say these things!!! Bottom line it is his fault for getting behind the wheel while under the influence but it shouldn't have happened!!!
You should probably get your facts right before you address this issue. first of all, the only thing an interlock license disables you from doing is driving a vehicle without an interlock. if you would have taken an alcohol certification class,you would know that. dwi offenders can still purchase alcohol at restaurants, gas stations, and liquor stores alike. Who is to say the bartender did not card the offender? are their facts proving that all his drinks were served to him at a single establishment? should the establishment that sold alcohol to the victims be prosecuted as well? in that case, why stop there. just go after the company who brews the beer they were drinking. where do we draw the line? all im saying is that its about time people start taking responsibility for their actions. god bless the families of everyone involved.
Jackob Fatherly

Las Cruces, NM

#24 Jul 26, 2010

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mesilla Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
please come see me 23 hr Yes Baby 28
demo rats running away from their history Thu Bloodonhishands 1
News Martinez prefers to stick to issues (Jun '10) Thu Felisha 6,885
affrique (May '12) Thu anonymous 245
Safari Jul 27 Old School 1
billary for prison 2016 Jul 25 Bloodonhishands 1
News NMSU plans to eliminate 126 jobs Jul 25 Really 1

Mesilla Park Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance