City, Boys and Girls Club discuss move

Full story: Las Cruces Sun-News

With representatives of both sides emphasizing Monday that the issue is very much in the preliminary stage, city administrators and officials with the Boys and Girls Club of Las Cruces have begun discussions about the possibility of a land-lease agreement that could lead to the construction of a new state-of-the-art clubhouse.
Comments
1 - 8 of 8 Comments Last updated May 24, 2013
Sandra Montoya-Askew

Stockton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Oct 5, 2009
 

Judged:

1

Let's not sugar coat what happened to the Boys and Girls Club in the 2000's. It was run into the ground by an executive director - an ex newspaper ad salesperson - who didn't have a clue what to do. She was a political appointee who got caught up in the position rather than working for the kids. Mine kids were there when it went into the sewer. We can name names, but everyone who has lived in Las Cruces in the past decade knows. Her hubby went balls up on a once favored RV business. Just imagine how much money she got paid for running an important community asset into the ground. Just call a spade a spade. Thank God we have some leadership in 2009 to try to make the Boys and Girls Club a reality again.
kindergarten mom

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Oct 6, 2009
 
why aren't 5 years olds included?
wow

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Oct 6, 2009
 

Judged:

1

Um the current director also didn't financially do too well this summer either.
Perspective

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Oct 6, 2009
 
wow wrote:
Um the current director also didn't financially do too well this summer either.
When is giving traditionally high? The holidays, prior to year's end for tax purposes.

When is giving low? The summer, when people are traveling and have children at home on summer break.

I'm sure if you contact the United Way office they will direct you on how to donate your time or money to benefit the boys and girls. Or you can sit in the stands watching for the downfall.
Blue_ LC_NM

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Oct 6, 2009
 
Sandra Montoya-Askew wrote:
Let's not sugar coat what happened to the Boys and Girls Club in the 2000's. It was run into the ground by an executive director - an ex newspaper ad salesperson - who didn't have a clue what to do. She was a political appointee who got caught up in the position rather than working for the kids. Mine kids were there when it went into the sewer. We can name names, but everyone who has lived in Las Cruces in the past decade knows. Her hubby went balls up on a once favored RV business. Just imagine how much money she got paid for running an important community asset into the ground. Just call a spade a spade. Thank God we have some leadership in 2009 to try to make the Boys and Girls Club a reality again.
You are CORRECT! She ran the Boys & Girls Club into the ground! She was rude to parents and staff members! How can you charge $30-$35 a week when nationally the clubs charge $10 a year! Who knows how much money she made. Her son & daughter were also employees...who knows how much they made. Corrupt! How can someone do this to families and children who need a place to go?
Big Poppa

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Oct 6, 2009
 
I worked there while Arlene was there. You have no idea how bad it was. Corrupt is an understatement. She hired her daughter without allowing any of the 'qualified' existing staff to apply for the position, then gave her a raise 6 months later, when we had been denied raises for 2.5 years. She always claimed a 40 hour work week despite the fact she rarely arrived before 10 am and usually left by 4 pm.

A $225,000 grant from Pete Domenici for a new building was squandered away not to mention a $40,000 grant meant for newer vehicles. She drove all the pre-existing board members out and replaced them with her friends. They all knew what was going on, but wouldn't do anything. Trust me we spoke to several of them many times about how she treated her employees. I'm suprised the club is still in operation.
Red Apple

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Oct 6, 2009
 
Big Poppa wrote:
I worked there while Arlene was there. You have no idea how bad it was. Corrupt is an understatement. She hired her daughter without allowing any of the 'qualified' existing staff to apply for the position, then gave her a raise 6 months later, when we had been denied raises for 2.5 years. She always claimed a 40 hour work week despite the fact she rarely arrived before 10 am and usually left by 4 pm.
A $225,000 grant from Pete Domenici for a new building was squandered away not to mention a $40,000 grant meant for newer vehicles. She drove all the pre-existing board members out and replaced them with her friends. They all knew what was going on, but wouldn't do anything. Trust me we spoke to several of them many times about how she treated her employees. I'm suprised the club is still in operation.
It's hard for me to comprehend how people do things like this - and at a charity program helping children, no less.

She sounds like she would make a fine politican.
CAZ

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
May 24, 2013
 
I hope and pray that the Club will continue to grow and get better. I came on right after everything hit the fan, so to speak, and we did our best digging it out from what was left. I know when I left it was better, and it has continued to get better since. I wish them continued success and luck!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Mesilla Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 7 min BigRabbit 68,839
Review: Action Towing & Rescue 5 hr Drunken Davin 2
Carlsbad fourth among New Mexico cities in lodg... 7 hr Carlsbad Resident 1
affrique (May '12) Wed Sailboat1107 217
Ruidoso village meetings to add prayer and stat... Wed WARRIOR 4
Ferguson Children Going Hungry Wed How About That 1
Best Las Cruces business for Christian employeees Aug 17 Looking 5

Search the Mesilla Park Forum:
•••
•••
Mesilla Park Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Mesilla Park Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Mesilla Park People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Mesilla Park News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Mesilla Park
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••