Economy makes selling a home harder; ...

Economy makes selling a home harder; there are tricks to help

There are 10 comments on the Las Cruces Sun-News story from Feb 1, 2010, titled Economy makes selling a home harder; there are tricks to help. In it, Las Cruces Sun-News reports that:

Are you trying to sell a house, or do you plan to do so soon? You might want to make a list of the hoops you need to jump through, especially in the current market.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Las Cruces Sun-News.

fred

Phoenix, AZ

#1 Feb 1, 2010
crazy
Not Your Home

Las Vegas, NM

#2 Feb 2, 2010
My wife and I hired a stager to help sell our last home. She made us remove most of our furniture, art work and personal items, paint most of the rooms and recarpet.

By the time she was done, it no longer felt like our home and it wasn't for long, which was the idea -- multiple offers over asking in a really bad market. I was no longer comfortable in the house, but it made those touring the house (other realtors and buyers) go "Wow" and that is exactly what you want.

We toured lots of houses shopping for our current home and, believe me, the houses with the family photos on the wall looked like someone elses home -- not ours. Hire a pro. It is money well spent.
NotFooled

Las Cruces, NM

#3 Feb 2, 2010
Not Your Home wrote:
My wife and I hired a stager to help sell our last home. She made us remove most of our furniture, art work and personal items, paint most of the rooms and recarpet.
By the time she was done, it no longer felt like our home and it wasn't for long, which was the idea -- multiple offers over asking in a really bad market. I was no longer comfortable in the house, but it made those touring the house (other realtors and buyers) go "Wow" and that is exactly what you want.
We toured lots of houses shopping for our current home and, believe me, the houses with the family photos on the wall looked like someone elses home -- not ours. Hire a pro. It is money well spent.
Spoken like a professional stager or an agent who gets a kickback from a designer. Paying an agent's commission and a stager left how much on the table for you?
BayArea

South San Francisco, CA

#4 Feb 2, 2010
NotFooled wrote:
<quoted text>
Spoken like a professional stager or an agent who gets a kickback from a designer. Paying an agent's commission and a stager left how much on the table for you?
Lol! Nothing gets past you. lmao
Spend it to Make It

Albuquerque, NM

#5 Feb 2, 2010
NotFooled wrote:
<quoted text>
yeah, you sound like someone with a dirt nasty house and a cheapskate on top of that. let me guess, your idea of selling a house is putting a 2 liner in the thrifty nickel?
doubtingt

Sausalito, CA

#6 Feb 2, 2010
NotFooled wrote:
<quoted text>
"multiple offers over asking in a really bad market. "

Somehow I doubt that...professional staging or not...
Not Your Home

Las Cruces, NM

#7 Feb 2, 2010
No, I'm not a stager or in the real estate business. We sold a house in a market wheere homes were measured in months on the market (rather than days) and the banks were starting to flood th market with foreclosures. The appraiser (for the buyers lender) had problems coming up with comps to support the offer price. Our real estate agent was able to finally convince the appraiser, but that tells me that we got top dollar for the house.

We sold our house in a week and a half and that was because our agent didn't accept offers until then. Look, I have no skin in this game. Just sharing my experience. My wife thought a stager was worth it -- probably from watching all the HGTV shows, or whatever. I was skeptical, but now I'm a believer. I believe the money we got out of it paid for the stager, carpet, paint etc. many times over. And, we sold our house quickly, so we could close on our house here.

I would imagine that there are people who do this in LC, but I have no idea. We sold our house in another state and moved here for a job. Feel free to sell your house (or not) however you'd like.
Barney the Realtor

Las Cruces, NM

#8 Feb 2, 2010
Be sure to send Opie over to Johnny Paul's house before showing it. Interesting article.
NotFooled

Las Cruces, NM

#9 Feb 2, 2010
Not Your Home wrote:
I would imagine that there are people who do this in LC, but I have no idea. We sold our house in another state and moved here for a job. Feel free to sell your house (or not) however you'd like.
Brace yourself for reality when your contract runs out and no one else can hire you at a rate that will allow you to afford your current home. I just figured you sold a house here to upgrade to another neighborhood. Hope you downsized because neither stager nor agent is capable of selling a home to allow a seller to break even in this town. The rules of other towns and previous economic times do not stand here. If you knew the real rules, you would be shocked at how you have been taken advantage of by the local gladhanders. Lies. They are everywhere, and with a fancy title to give you a false sense of dealing with a professional.
sunNews101

Rio Rancho, NM

#10 Feb 2, 2010
Hey i like how they phrased that,,"there are TRICKS to help,,maybe we should hire a magician or a magic clown comic to sell the frigin thang.. THEY ARE NO TRICKS OK just use your BRAIN,,,ooops NEVER MIND.. its a bad sellers market ok

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mesilla Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) Sep 28 rabbee yehoshooah... 72,039
News Family doubts police account of Hatch shooting (Oct '08) Sep 27 Eddie Lou 68
News Martinez prefers to stick to issues (Jun '10) Sep 25 Marc 6,935
News Las Cruces vigil to honor murdered ABQ child Sep 24 Kollmar 11
Las Cruces Music Selection (Sep '12) Sep 24 Musikologist 14
please come see me (Mar '16) Sep 24 Yes Baby 35
News Weird New Mexico: Bigfoot Sightings (Oct '11) Sep 22 reese 116

Mesilla Park Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Mesilla Park Mortgages