Historians hope to preserve Pat Garrett murder site

Historian Cal Traylor speaks about legendary lawman Pat Garrett over the memorialized spot where Garrett died in February 1908. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
GetReal

Alto, NM

#21 Dec 12, 2010
Bossk wrote:
It was only right he lived his last days in Disgrace
after being FIRED by Pres. McKinley
Garrett was SCUM
yeah... funny how a few decades go by and SCUM gets turned into the HISTORIC LEGEND deserving credit for taming the Wild, Wild West!
He would have been better off enlisting with that other wild-west scum George Custer and getting ceremoniously whacked at the Little Big Horn.
hmmmmm

United States

#22 Dec 12, 2010
Pat Garret the great man wrote:
My great grandfather Dr. Boyd from Dripping Springs in the Organ Mountain knew Pat Garret well. Garret moved out west and wanted to be a farmer, but the only jobs out in the badlands of NM were for a lawman, cause the ruthless ruled. The cattle wrestlers worked for the Santa Fe Ring and outsiders like Huntington who owned the railroads.
Pat Garret started the Pecos Irrigation Company. He was instrumental in getting Dr. Boyd to come to Las Cruces to build Elephant Butte Dam in 1893. During the "square deal" land exchange era, AB Fall, as many were out to take control of New Mexico resources from the pioneering, Spanish and native people of Mesilla Valley. Fountain was on the tail of AB FAll who worked for Huntington and defended in court almost 200 cattle wreslters for murder and only one was convicted. Fountain was murdered, then Garret who was investigating.
It would be the farmers who would tame the west, as Mr. Garret I can tell you knew best, as he was part the reason in getting Dr. Boyd to move to New Mexico to build Elephant Butte Dam. Dr. Boyd an American was an editor of the British Medical Journal and organized the building of the Aswan Dam in Egypt and Imperial Project in India. These historical water right claims of Mesilla at Elephant Butte attributed to Dr. Boyd, come from the Garret Era, and are just now being adjudicated in the Lower Rio Grande Adjudication before Honorable Judge Valentine. Scott Boyd
I'll bet cattle wrestling was way harder than cattle rustling! Just kidding. Thanks for the info.
Zeb

Farmington, NM

#23 Dec 12, 2010
Billy the Kid culture. Why do so many here revere the mentally challenged criminal?
GetReal

Alto, NM

#24 Dec 12, 2010
Zeb wrote:
Billy the Kid culture. Why do so many here revere the mentally challenged criminal?
for the same reason so many revere other criminals... political, religious, gang, etc, etc, etc!
Too much time on their hands + too little brain upstairs!
Believe it!

“I'm fading away to black...”

Since: Nov 10

peace is only in the mind

#25 Dec 12, 2010
So, we are still reading about this coward back shooter still?? Garrett did nothing right. He snuck up from behind and killed his prey. The "Kid" was just one of many. And now some rich numb nuttss family member is still trying to conjure up support for this.. a historical marker at a known peee peee site where the back shooter was shot in the back?? Give me a brake, this is bullsh1t!!!
TJJackson

El Paso, TX

#26 Dec 13, 2010
Great-Scott wrote:
So, we are still reading about this coward back shooter still?? Garrett did nothing right. He snuck up from behind and killed his prey. The "Kid" was just one of many. And now some rich numb nuttss family member is still trying to conjure up support for this.. a historical marker at a known peee peee site where the back shooter was shot in the back?? Give me a brake, this is bullsh1t!!!
Passing judgment on someone you never met and an event you didn't witness?

#27 Dec 13, 2010
TJJackson wrote:
<quoted text>
Passing judgment on someone you never met and an event you didn't witness?
Sorry, I'm a historian. I study, learn and write about it.
TJJackson

El Paso, TX

#28 Dec 13, 2010
Great-Scott wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, I'm a historian. I study, learn and write about it.
Nothing personal. But I am curious: are you a professional historian or an amateur historian?

I've witnessed debates and in some cases heated arguments between so-called "professional" historians (college professors with their academic titles) and "amateur" historians (not in the ivory tower crowd).

Invariably, the former detest the latter. It's interesting to see them go after each other in public forums, etc.

Just wondering ...

#29 Dec 13, 2010
TJJackson wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing personal. But I am curious: are you a professional historian or an amateur historian?
I've witnessed debates and in some cases heated arguments between so-called "professional" historians (college professors with their academic titles) and "amateur" historians (not in the ivory tower crowd).
Invariably, the former detest the latter. It's interesting to see them go after each other in public forums, etc.
Just wondering ...
I am a professional Writer of Novels. Both fictional and non-fictional. I have been included on a few motion pictures credits back in the 80's and 90's. Been laying low for a while. But now I have been reinvigerated to write again.

Currently I have a manuscript in the works. Tentatively titled "From the Stars" set for a mid 2011 publishing.

U.S. History is a big, personal hobby of mine. I love my Country.

Peace and Freedom to you and yours.
TJJackson

El Paso, TX

#30 Dec 14, 2010
Great-Scott wrote:
<quoted text>
I am a professional Writer of Novels. Both fictional and non-fictional. I have been included on a few motion pictures credits back in the 80's and 90's. Been laying low for a while. But now I have been reinvigerated to write again.
Currently I have a manuscript in the works. Tentatively titled "From the Stars" set for a mid 2011 publishing.
U.S. History is a big, personal hobby of mine. I love my Country.
Peace and Freedom to you and yours.
Good for you! I'm a history buff as well, and look forward to your new book.

I'm interested mainly in Texas history. The friction I've seen between different "historians" usually involves the Alamo or Texas Revolution. But I also admit to an interest in military history, the American Revolution and the Civil War.

All the best.
j-operator

Silver City, NM

#31 Dec 14, 2010
...if only Billy and his mom had lived today. She would be on the 6 O'clock news telling us what a good boy he was and how he "didn't hurt no one" (notice the lack of tears). Of course, the cops would be vilified by the locals in 'da hood. You know, "they didn't have to shoot him!" Some things never change, do they?
Hank

Montpelier, ID

#32 Dec 26, 2011
Bossk wrote:
It was only right he lived his last days in Disgrace
after being FIRED by Pres. McKinley
Garrett was SCUM
Harsh judgment from someone who wasn't alive during that time, so you haven't earned the right to make such judgment!!
Hank

Montpelier, ID

#33 Dec 26, 2011
j-operator wrote:
...if only Billy and his mom had lived today. She would be on the 6 O'clock news telling us what a good boy he was and how he "didn't hurt no one" (notice the lack of tears). Of course, the cops would be vilified by the locals in 'da hood. You know, "they didn't have to shoot him!" Some things never change, do they?
Nailed it right on the head!
Hank

Montpelier, ID

#34 Dec 26, 2011
Great-Scott wrote:
You watch to many westerns grow up, this was real life and death.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mesilla Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New Mexico bill would limit smoking with kids a... 3 hr TruthBeTold 6
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 10 hr orange 71,562
Man sent to ICU after officers use force on him Thu George 2
Anti-bullying bill passes New Mexico Senate (2:... (Feb '11) Wed long live chillll 21
Are Police Stealing People's Property? Feb 27 Heck Boy 6
LCPS students plan Monday walkout over state te... Feb 27 Heck Boy 1
Review: Prestige Development Group Feb 26 mmuse 1

Flood Warning for Dona Ana County was issued at March 05 at 3:46PM MST

Mesilla Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Mesilla People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 7:07 pm PST

Bleacher Report 7:07PM
Pre-Free Agency Salary Cap Update for Broncos
Bleacher Report 9:16 PM
How Peyton, Pay Cut Can Help DEN Win Super Bowl
NBC Sports 1:59 AM
One more year should get Peyton the passing yardage record
NBC Sports 3:37 AM
Former Broncos tight end says NFL should lift marijuana ban
Bleacher Report 4:00 AM
Should the Denver Broncos Make a Run at DT Vince Wilfork?