Historians hope to preserve Pat Garre...

Historians hope to preserve Pat Garrett murder site

There are 34 comments on the Las Cruces Sun-News story from Dec 11, 2010, titled Historians hope to preserve Pat Garrett murder site. In it, Las Cruces Sun-News reports that:

Historian Cal Traylor speaks about legendary lawman Pat Garrett over the memorialized spot where Garrett died in February 1908.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Las Cruces Sun-News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Young LC

Brighton, MI

#1 Dec 11, 2010
I have been to the site before, and I believe that Las Cruces should keep it preserved. This city has a real problem of destroying our history and never blinking an eye!
look around

Las Cruces, NM

#2 Dec 12, 2010
"Other than Garrett's gravestone in the Masonic Cemetery, it would be the only public memorial in Las Cruces to the lawman credited by some with helping to tame the Wild West."

what about the big darn sign on the side of the road?? oh wait we have to open our eyes to see that instead of txting..
in to win

Las Cruces, NM

#3 Dec 12, 2010
If garret paid into the BIA then he will get his way for sure!!!

If not.. too bad the city cannot plan anything without the BIA...
Border Native-American

Florissant, CO

#4 Dec 12, 2010
Onate High School should be renamed "Pat Garret High School".
Valley Native

United States

#5 Dec 12, 2010
Odd fellows cemetery?...

Sounds like a place I would like to be buried.
Zeb

Farmington, NM

#6 Dec 12, 2010
Valley Native wrote:
Odd fellows cemetery?...
I'm sure they would welcome a new member. They also have retirement homes, or at least used to.
http://www.ioof.org/
killed

Albuquerque, NM

#7 Dec 12, 2010
He killed Billy in cold blood. Billy would not have shot at Pat but Pat wanted to be in he history books.

“Whirled peas!”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#8 Dec 12, 2010
Phillip Phillipou again? What the hell DOESN'T he own?

Since: Nov 10

Las Cruces, NM

#9 Dec 12, 2010
PARDON BILLY THE KID, THE TRUE LEGEND OF THE SOUTHWEST!!!
GetReal

Hobbs, NM

#10 Dec 12, 2010
Leon "Knows-It-All" Metz will probably demand to be buried with full "hero of the Old West" honors as well...hahahaha!
Surely, there are better and more constructive projects for the Las Cruces area...no?
Pat Garrett.... insignificant personality at best.
"...helped to tame the wild west"... by shooting a man in cold blood?
What a joke!
Pat Garret the great man

Tempe, AZ

#11 Dec 12, 2010
My great grandfather Dr. Boyd from Dripping Springs in the Organ Mountain knew Pat Garret well. Garret moved out west and wanted to be a farmer, but the only jobs out in the badlands of NM were for a lawman, cause the ruthless ruled. The cattle wrestlers worked for the Santa Fe Ring and outsiders like Huntington who owned the railroads.

Pat Garret started the Pecos Irrigation Company. He was instrumental in getting Dr. Boyd to come to Las Cruces to build Elephant Butte Dam in 1893. During the "square deal" land exchange era, AB Fall, as many were out to take control of New Mexico resources from the pioneering, Spanish and native people of Mesilla Valley. Fountain was on the tail of AB FAll who worked for Huntington and defended in court almost 200 cattle wreslters for murder and only one was convicted. Fountain was murdered, then Garret who was investigating.

It would be the farmers who would tame the west, as Mr. Garret I can tell you knew best, as he was part the reason in getting Dr. Boyd to move to New Mexico to build Elephant Butte Dam. Dr. Boyd an American was an editor of the British Medical Journal and organized the building of the Aswan Dam in Egypt and Imperial Project in India. These historical water right claims of Mesilla at Elephant Butte attributed to Dr. Boyd, come from the Garret Era, and are just now being adjudicated in the Lower Rio Grande Adjudication before Honorable Judge Valentine. Scott Boyd
j-operator

Silver City, NM

#12 Dec 12, 2010
Speaking of shooting a man in cold blood....
Wasn't there a little incident in the Lincold County Jail where BTK shot two deputies "in cold blood"? Ya know, OJ is STILL a folk hero to many.
Cal, you go guy!!!
j-operator

Silver City, NM

#13 Dec 12, 2010
Sorry- LINCOLN County Jail
GetReal

Hobbs, NM

#14 Dec 12, 2010
j-operator wrote:
Speaking of shooting a man in cold blood....
Wasn't there a little incident in the Lincold County Jail where BTK shot two deputies "in cold blood"? Ya know, OJ is STILL a folk hero to many.
Cal, you go guy!!!
Agree...!
Lincold??.... actually got a nice ring to it, Operator!
Chilipepper

Albuquerque, NM

#15 Dec 12, 2010
This is a Historical site, I have been there and with some ranchers. The ones who found him are local ranchers. Do not run a freaken road over this part of history!! How perfectly wierd to do that,all of the natives know where it is, even tho some on this site, with all of the conspiracy things on this site,do not have a clue!

“Irony, metaphor, film @ eleven”

Since: Feb 08

Old Mesilla/New Las Cruces

#16 Dec 12, 2010
Valley Native wrote:
Odd fellows cemetery?...
That deserted cemetery is across the street from Masonic, next to the RR tracks.

The original grave site is still marked, and, of course, the grave is empty.

An interesting place. About 100 or so graves from around 100 years or so ago.
FRED

Las Cruces, NM

#17 Dec 12, 2010
Fine big deal preserve a spot where a dead guy got shot pissing on a rock. But LC lets the living rot.
GetReal

Hobbs, NM

#18 Dec 12, 2010
stopTAGGING ourWALLS wrote:
<quoted text>
That deserted cemetery is across the street from Masonic, next to the RR tracks.
The original grave site is still marked, and, of course, the grave is empty.
An interesting place. About 100 or so graves from around 100 years or so ago.
hmmmmm..... maybe a good spot for metal-detector aficionados.
Someone might find a few old gold teeth or jewelry that's worked up to the surface.

“Irony, metaphor, film @ eleven”

Since: Feb 08

Old Mesilla/New Las Cruces

#19 Dec 12, 2010
GetReal wrote:
<quoted text>hmmmmm..... maybe a good spot for metal-detector aficionados.
Someone might find a few old gold teeth or jewelry that's worked up to the surface.
What do you think the chances are that the gold teeth and other valuables were pulled and removed well
before the body went into the box?

Frankly, I don't ever recall seeing gold in teeth in turn-of-the century skulls. Places where teeth used to be, yes. Lead slugs, yes. Other metal fragments, yes.

Valuables have been left in cemeteries for eons. Rings, chains, coins, tucked in beside the marker or buried a few inches down.

They say you can't take it with you, but what's the harm in trying?

People are stealing the bronze flower pots and civilian and military grave markers from graves by the tens of thousands. All for the metal. Classy hillbillies.
Bossk

Las Cruces, NM

#20 Dec 12, 2010
It was only right he lived his last days in Disgrace
after being FIRED by Pres. McKinley

Garrett was SCUM

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mesilla Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Police search for person of interest in homicide Sun Jer 1
News Las Cruces man pleads guilty to taking part in ... (Aug '08) Feb 18 Eill 40
THE FBI - Another Flub Story Feb 16 Bloodonhishands 1
ken roberts and daso Feb 16 Bloodonhishands 3
News New England Mafia is weakened but still pursued (Jun '11) Feb 16 4 Cheese Fart 9
News Ex-Las Cruces priest surrenders to Hobbs police Feb 15 Georgie 1
News Prior sex offender from Silver City sentenced t... Feb 13 Dan Yardbird 2

Mesilla Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Mesilla Mortgages