Postal officials grilled about proces...

Postal officials grilled about processing proposal

There are 33 comments on the Las Cruces Sun-News story from Jun 8, 2011, titled Postal officials grilled about processing proposal. In it, Las Cruces Sun-News reports that:

Officials from the U.S. Post office on Wednesday answered questions from a vocal group of more than 60 people who grilled them on the wisdom of moving mail processing from Las Cruces to El Paso.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Las Cruces Sun-News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Roadrunner

Las Cruces, NM

#23 Jun 9, 2011
Lynn Elkins will always think of some reason why his office can't efficiently run an election, especially getting out absentee ballots to active duty military. Prior to retiring from the military in late 2008, I requested an absentee ballot several months prior to the 2009 general election. After writing several letters and making several phone calls to Elkins office, I finally received a ballot at my East Coast location TWO DAYS AFTER the election. It's always easy for him and his poltical hacks to blame someone other than he and his political hacks.
Southwest Shooter

Fort Washakie, WY

#24 Jun 9, 2011
A Prime example of how Health Care would be run if the Gov. ran it.
" We can't afford Doctors in New Mexico, just go to Texas/Colorado/Arizona to see a doctor,
VOTE 2012
hey bub

Las Cruces, NM

#25 Jun 9, 2011
we're becoming more and more Far West El Paso every damn day.
Lucky Lager

Albuquerque, NM

#26 Jun 9, 2011
Bobby wrote:
Post Office Fact:
Because of overstaffing, the U.S. Postal Service selects an average of 1,125 employees daily to sit in empty "standby rooms." They are not allowed to work, read, play cards, watch television, or do anything. The annual cost is $50 million! This is just one of many dirty spending secrets ( www.dirtyspendingsecrets.com )... yet liberal politicians say they can't find much to cut from the federal budget.
This is so absolutely false and idiotic that I can't believe that anyone would write it, here, there or anywhere. Of course, I do believe that people believe it, especially if they live in Las Cruces.
Umm

Rio Rancho, NM

#27 Jun 9, 2011
I'm young and I never use e-mails! I know how to address letters correctly and I love receiving my magazines and advertisements in the mail! I bet it would back up the mail even more than it does now. They predict things that are so wrong most of the time!

Since: Jan 10

Las Cruces, NM

#28 Jun 9, 2011
JustObserving wrote:
<quoted text>
Hardly a 'fact'. Dirtyspendingsecrets is a misinformation web site operated by the Heritage Foundation. They show no solid information to back up the claims. Don't believe everything you're told by anybody.
I agree though having working for the federal government (both as a volunteer and a paid worker) there are some pretty wonky things going on. Many of the problems are due to laws that haven't been updated to keep up with the times.

Case in point is the American Antiquities Act of 1906. Due to the way the law is written you have the ludicrous situation where a logging company can go in do so logging but disturb the ground enough to bring enough evidence of an archeological site to light that they can't continue to log in that area.

In the case with the Post office you have bulk mail which is charged at a lower rate than normal mail and harkens back to a time when buying by mail took off (1890s) and the USPS wanted to encourage junk mail.

Discounting junk mail today is the equivalent of driving a Model T down the interstate--you could do it but you have to be stupid beyond all belief to WANT to do it. Charge normal or better yet HIGHER rates for this stuff.
Salvador Archuleta

New Zealand

#29 Jun 10, 2011
I am surprised that Las Cruces mail has not been sent to El Paso for many years already. This sort of set up exists throughout the US and even in other countries. AND NOBODY COMPLAINS ABOUT IT! Usually, you can still request a post mark for the town, in this case Las Cruces, which has had its services consolidated. However, requesting a Las Cruces post mark would result in a longer delivery time. Sure, there are winners and losers. It's like widening a street; somebody's going to lose.
Scott Weaver

Monroe, MI

#30 Jun 10, 2011
Can't help but wonder what sacrifices some people are actually willing to make - when they have the opportunity to make one. With the drastically shrinking volume of mail of the last ten years, coupled with the lagging recession, some serious changes need made to our postal delivery system. Those who expect it to continue as if this were still 1975 need a reality check.

While I would be sorry for some of the postal workers to lose their jobs here in Las Cruces, we must accept the reality of the current situation. What the city the postal stamp displays is a very minor issue given the big picture.

I would expect many of those who were loudly protesting the possible changes are also among those claiming to be so concerned about our federal budget deficit.
Slackers

Las Cruces, NM

#31 Jun 10, 2011
What they should do is fire the slackers that are just there for the pension. That would save them some money. The postal service in LC does suck.

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#32 Jun 10, 2011
Initially I was against this idea. Now I'm wondering if it will improve LC mail service so things will actually be delivered to the correct address. We receive mail for various people blocks away (many not even from the same neighborhood, much less same street!) and countless items we should have received have vanished.

I hate to see jobs lost but I'm thinking there are a too many employees not doing their job and deserve to be out looking for another one.

Since: Jan 10

Las Cruces, NM

#33 Jun 10, 2011
Scott Weaver wrote:
Can't help but wonder what sacrifices some people are actually willing to make - when they have the opportunity to make one. With the drastically shrinking volume of mail of the last ten years, coupled with the lagging recession, some serious changes need made to our postal delivery system. Those who expect it to continue as if this were still 1975 need a reality check.
But the flip side of that is urban sprawl is far worse now then it was in 1975. The amount of mail has proportionally gone down but the routes and their lengths have gone UP. The REAL problem is the cost of a stamp has not gone up to reflect that reality.
Cool Hand Luke

Las Cruces, NM

#34 Jun 10, 2011
It's all over. Hand in the keys and turn off the lights at the post office.
OM Gonzalez

Chicago, IL

#35 Jun 11, 2011
The loss of the Las Cruces P.O. with consolidation to El Paso likely result in service degradation. The reality is, what ails the Postal Service is the 2006 mandate to pre-fund "future" retiree health benefits (what no other agency or company is forced to do) and the over payment to USPS pension plans which the govt refuses to reimburse. Otherwise USPS would make a profit yet receive no tax payer funds to operate.
The U.S. Postal Service is by law a service provided to Americans. Service cuts are managerial decisions that impact service. Las Cruces' citizen deserve the best local postal service- it's your post office ! Fight for it!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mesilla Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Police search for person of interest in homicide Sun Jer 1
News Las Cruces man pleads guilty to taking part in ... (Aug '08) Feb 18 Eill 40
THE FBI - Another Flub Story Feb 16 Bloodonhishands 1
ken roberts and daso Feb 16 Bloodonhishands 3
News New England Mafia is weakened but still pursued (Jun '11) Feb 16 4 Cheese Fart 9
News Ex-Las Cruces priest surrenders to Hobbs police Feb 15 Georgie 1
News Prior sex offender from Silver City sentenced t... Feb 13 Dan Yardbird 2

Mesilla Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Mesilla Mortgages