Postal officials grilled about proces...

Postal officials grilled about processing proposal

There are 33 comments on the Las Cruces Sun-News story from Jun 8, 2011, titled Postal officials grilled about processing proposal. In it, Las Cruces Sun-News reports that:

Officials from the U.S. Post office on Wednesday answered questions from a vocal group of more than 60 people who grilled them on the wisdom of moving mail processing from Las Cruces to El Paso.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Las Cruces Sun-News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Jan 10

Las Cruces, NM

#1 Jun 8, 2011
I would like to know just how much LOCAL mail goes through the Las Cruces Post office and how sending that mail 100 miles round trip will save money. I have to wonder just how much creative accounting has gone into this because something doesn't feel right about this
Union Buster

Las Cruces, NM

#2 Jun 9, 2011
Who cares if your letter has a post mark from Cruces? Its not like you save the used envelope with the post mark as part of history or look at it when going down memory lane. The USPS is going down in flames and people are arguing to get a good seat when it crashes by fighting for jobs that will very soon disappear anyways. USPS is too antiquated and is failing because of the technology that exists now. Let it crash. The argument is about jobs and nothing more. How can you argue for a job that is not making the company any money? Are people that ignorant? If a company is losing money and is no longer working, SHUT IT DOWN! Move forward with what is working and not stick with this old means of sending correspondence. Besides, its mostly junk mail that comes in anyways which goes straight into the trash. USPS... YOU'RE OUT OF HERE! One less crybaby union to hear about.
95Aggie

Las Cruces, NM

#3 Jun 9, 2011
Union Buster wrote:
If a company is losing money and is no longer working, SHUT IT DOWN!
Or at least allow the people in charge of the company to try something to stem the bleeding. For a non-taxpayer supported entity, people certainly have a huge sense of entitlement when it comes to the USPS.
wow

Rio Rancho, NM

#4 Jun 9, 2011
Union Buster wrote:
Who cares if your letter has a post mark from Cruces? Its not like you save the used envelope with the post mark as part of history or look at it when going down memory lane. The USPS is going down in flames and people are arguing to get a good seat when it crashes by fighting for jobs that will very soon disappear anyways. USPS is too antiquated and is failing because of the technology that exists now. Let it crash. The argument is about jobs and nothing more. How can you argue for a job that is not making the company any money? Are people that ignorant? If a company is losing money and is no longer working, SHUT IT DOWN! Move forward with what is working and not stick with this old means of sending correspondence. Besides, its mostly junk mail that comes in anyways which goes straight into the trash. USPS... YOU'RE OUT OF HERE! One less crybaby union to hear about.
The thing about losing the post office is Jobs, and what happens if something like a the black outs that are comming occure. How are you going to get your SS checks, bills, and other important stuff thats done electronicly. Power can go out but mail can be sorted by hand. I know I use to use the post office to mail letters all the time but it became to expesive to send off a letter and E-Mail is free.(For Now) But if we let go of the little things like post offices, AM/FM annalog radio, cash money someday we are going to say boy was that stupid or If I knew then what I know now. Technology can disapear in a flip of a swich.
Just Curious

Las Cruces, NM

#5 Jun 9, 2011
wow wrote:
<quoted text>
The thing about losing the post office is Jobs, and what happens if something like a the black outs that are comming occure. How are you going to get your SS checks, bills, and other important stuff thats done electronicly. Power can go out but mail can be sorted by hand. I know I use to use the post office to mail letters all the time but it became to expesive to send off a letter and E-Mail is free.(For Now) But if we let go of the little things like post offices, AM/FM annalog radio, cash money someday we are going to say boy was that stupid or If I knew then what I know now. Technology can disapear in a flip of a swich.
Email is not free in the sense that you have to pay for an internet provider. I agree the post office will be the way to go in severe cases like blackouts,and not many senior citizens know or understand the direct deposit way of having their SSI checks deposited into an account. My parents still get theirs in the mail cause they don't have a checking account. We still need the post office. And yes, it's say that todays youth don't know how to address a letter.
FormerCarrier

Rio Rancho, NM

#6 Jun 9, 2011
Remember the "LAW OF UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCES".
Happens all the time with good intentions.
What might be good for you is not good for about
35% of the population. Not everyone has access to the electronic medium.

The Feds have stated that in 2015 all SSI checks would be done electronically. How many people do not have checking accounts? How many people today have to do everything they do in CASH?

There is no wonderful answer. Someone will allways be inconvenienced and thrown under the bus.

Do away with the PO and learn what the hackers will do to the financial world? What kind of fees will be added to your daily transactions?

For those that "hate" "junk mail", good riddance.
There are people who use these weekly items for their existance. Far tooooo many have a meager existance.

What will the economics be with no PO, all those vehicles and building sitting around unused and
the unemployment lines longer?

Of course we could have ex-felons (like those that sit on juries in NM), walk around delivering utility bills?

We could ALL vote by twitter, absentee ballots?

THE WORLD IS COMING TO AN END, ACCEPT IT!!!!!!!

When the PO closes, the end is close.
Young Person

Las Cruces, NM

#7 Jun 9, 2011
Young people do not even know how to address a letter," said Brian McCoy, a moderator at the public forum.
-Talk about a loaded statement...
fixXxed

Las Cruces, NM

#8 Jun 9, 2011
...as long as my netflix delivery doesn't change, I don't care..
Kyle

El Paso, TX

#9 Jun 9, 2011
A long-planned requirement that Social Security recipients receive their checks through direct deposit will take effect May 1, 2011, three months later than originally proposed, the Treasury Department's Financial Management Service announced Tuesday.

"This important change will provide significant savings to American taxpayers who will no longer incur the annual $120 million price tag associated with paper checks and will save Social Security $1 billion over the next 10 years," said Treasury Fiscal Assistant Secretary Richard L. Gregg. The switch also is aimed at reducing incidents of loss or theft, claims that require the Social Security Administration to re-cut 600,000 checks in an average year.

Currently, eight out of 10 recipients among the 58 million retirees, disabled Americans and surviving family members already receive their monthly benefits electronically, Treasury reports. But after advocacy groups for the elderly worked with officials in finalizing the rules, recipients who were born before May 1, 1921 -- an estimated 275,000 Americans -- will be allowed to continue to receiving paper checks.
photos would help

Albuquerque, NM

#11 Jun 9, 2011
Well, if "young people" don't know how to address a letter
and if my job hung out on a limb to be overtaken by technology,

I would be teaching young people how to buy a stamp, address a letter and the locations of mail boxes they could use.
After all, property tax mail outs come in the mail, too.

Sometimes, reinventing the wheel can still make the wheels turn.
Ringo

Raleigh, NC

#13 Jun 9, 2011
The folks that against the move seem to not understand reason. For the person that is upset with an El Paso postmark, he needs to get a life.
common sense

Las Cruces, NM

#14 Jun 9, 2011
A local post mark means absolutley nothing. Are there people out there who cut the post marks off letters and save them? None that I know of. This is the result of very shoddy customer service by the local post office personell and the local postmaster (past and present). Has any of these people considered that part of the reason for the drop of volume of mail might be a lack of confidence that it would get picked up or delivered promptly? Good quality customer service and a postmaster that returned phone calls and at least made an effort would have prevented this option.
Blockbuster

San Antonio, TX

#15 Jun 9, 2011
fixXxed wrote:
...as long as my netflix delivery doesn't change, I don't care..
if it does, try Red Box, they are cheaper and killing my company to boot.
Bobby

El Paso, TX

#16 Jun 9, 2011
Post Office Fact:

Because of overstaffing, the U.S. Postal Service selects an average of 1,125 employees daily to sit in empty "standby rooms." They are not allowed to work, read, play cards, watch television, or do anything. The annual cost is $50 million! This is just one of many dirty spending secrets ( www.dirtyspendingsecrets.com )... yet liberal politicians say they can't find much to cut from the federal budget.
vernrb

Los Lunas, NM

#17 Jun 9, 2011
BGrubb wrote:
I would like to know just how much LOCAL mail goes through the Las Cruces Post office and how sending that mail 100 miles round trip will save money. I have to wonder just how much creative accounting has gone into this because something doesn't feel right about this
I agree. Less than $1M seems like the money savings becomes a wash and just another plus for employment in El Paso. Ever notice how Las Cruces is more and more like a bedroom community to El Paso than a city in New Mexico?

Now, along with our local news and our electric service, we'll have a dandy El Paso, TX stamp on our mail. And you can bet there will be major problems with delivery both incoming and outgoing. This move could very well force people who still pay bills via the Postal Service to go to the internet. Just one missed payment would be all it takes.

I, for one, am very tired of just being an El Paso demographic.
just me talking

Las Cruces, NM

#18 Jun 9, 2011
Union Buster wrote:
... USPS is too antiquated and is failing because of the technology that exists now....
I used the services of the USPS to send in my tax forms this year. I saved a bundle (~$50) on buying tax software, or using a professional tax preparer, to file my taxes electronically. With the money I saved this year, I can buy about 50 years worth of stamps to mail out the forms, and subsequent years' savings are pure gravy.

And the chances of somebody hacking the forms inside the envelope are minimal compared with the technology that exists now.

Compared with home internet access and phone bills, the USPS is a bargain for all the messages I send out/receive.
Dave

Nashville, TN

#19 Jun 9, 2011
Your postal service is not going away. You will still get junk mail, you can still get your checks in the mail, you will still be able to send your taxes in by mail. Here let me say it slower for some of you that are having a hard time understanding: Y-o-u-r p-o-s-t-a-l s-e-r-vi-c-e i-s n-o-t g-o-i-n-g a-w-a-y. They are just going to move some union jobs to El Paso.
JustObserving

Los Lunas, NM

#20 Jun 9, 2011
Bobby wrote:
Post Office Fact:
Because of overstaffing, the U.S. Postal Service selects an average of 1,125 employees daily to sit in empty "standby rooms." They are not allowed to work, read, play cards, watch television, or do anything. The annual cost is $50 million! This is just one of many dirty spending secrets ( www.dirtyspendingsecrets.com )... yet liberal politicians say they can't find much to cut from the federal budget.
Hardly a 'fact'. Dirtyspendingsecrets is a misinformation web site operated by the Heritage Foundation. They show no solid information to back up the claims. Don't believe everything you're told by anybody.
reb

Las Cruces, NM

#21 Jun 9, 2011
Young Person wrote:
Young people do not even know how to address a letter," said Brian McCoy, a moderator at the public forum.
-Talk about a loaded statement...
Heck, lots don't even use email that much. Texting or Facebook

This particular proposal may not be right at this time but it will happen eventually.
Oh well

Farmington, NM

#22 Jun 9, 2011
I'm not a fan of the idea either, but that's life. The Post Office has been bleeding money for years. The service here is terrible, but I'm sure it's still better than in 2/3 of the world. Life will go on.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mesilla Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Convicted stalker running for Pearce's seat as ... Nov 15 Demo Rats 7
Stomach virus Nov 13 Marty 1
LCPS School Superintendent is a DOLT Nov 10 LCPSGOOFBALS 1
Looking for my ex or his son Nov 4 Nita Rusak 2
NO Butters (Sep '13) Nov 2 TomCat 4
Are you're teens drinking lean?? Oct 27 three blocks 1
News Deputies: Man drove golf cart while drunk, flip... Oct 24 Larry Craig s WC ... 1

Mesilla Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Mesilla Mortgages