Dreams do come true

Dreams do come true

There are 42 comments on the Las Cruces Sun-News story from May 23, 2011, titled Dreams do come true. In it, Las Cruces Sun-News reports that:

Each graduating fifth-grade student at Mesilla Elementary School attached a message Monday to the string a balloon that also carried his or her goals and aspirations.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Las Cruces Sun-News.

also a Mom

Las Cruces, NM

#34 May 24, 2011
Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
As was already stated....these were BIODEGRADABLE balloons with BIODEGRADABLE string - believe it or not, we don't want to kill innocent sea creatures even though we are about a thousand miles from the nearest ocean.
How long does it take to for these "biodegradable" balloons and string to break down? Paper is biodegradable and breaks down relatively quickly, but I still hate to see it blowing around the countryside, making our community look so trashy.

It's not only sea creatures who ingest and are killed by balloons, assuming they are quick enough to pounce on the balloon before it biodegrades.(Yes, that is sarcasm, in response to your sarcasm.) Birds are especially attracted by bright colors. It is easy to find pictures on the web of animals entangled in string and deflated balloons. It is a hazard that is just not necessary, and that is my main point. BTW, we are about 500 miles from the Sea of Cortez, home to a number of endangered species.

Another Proud Mom said "Put your anger towards helping change something on a bigger scale." I do, every day. But you are wrong about focusing on a "bigger scale." It all starts on a small scale, right here. Teaching our children to be responsible is a great way to lead to a sustainable, decent future.
Mom

Albuquerque, NM

#37 May 24, 2011
also a Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
How long does it take to for these "biodegradable" balloons and string to break down? Paper is biodegradable and breaks down relatively quickly, but I still hate to see it blowing around the countryside, making our community look so trashy.
It's not only sea creatures who ingest and are killed by balloons, assuming they are quick enough to pounce on the balloon before it biodegrades.(Yes, that is sarcasm, in response to your sarcasm.) Birds are especially attracted by bright colors. It is easy to find pictures on the web of animals entangled in string and deflated balloons. It is a hazard that is just not necessary, and that is my main point. BTW, we are about 500 miles from the Sea of Cortez, home to a number of endangered species.
Another Proud Mom said "Put your anger towards helping change something on a bigger scale." I do, every day. But you are wrong about focusing on a "bigger scale." It all starts on a small scale, right here. Teaching our children to be responsible is a great way to lead to a sustainable, decent future.
I researched this before we ever agreed to do a balloon release and bought these particular balloons - I'm not an idiot. These balloons begin degrading as soon as they are exposed to oxygen. If properly inflated, these balloons travel to a height of about 5 miles where they freeze and shatter into tiny pieces which then degrade at the same rate as an oak leaf. They are made from organic products. Animals smell their food before they eat it and are not going to choose to eat a tiny piece of rubber.

“Heroes aren't born”

Since: Apr 08

They are made!

#38 May 24, 2011
Gus wrote:
<quoted text>
WOW! I did not say this is a negative event. In fact, I said the parents should celebrate this accomplishment with their kids. What I am against is all of these hair-brained symbolic school ceremonies that keep cropping up in ever increasing numbers, at the same time that our school acheivment levels are ever decreasing. But as long as everyone feels good about themself, that's all that really matters, right?
Looks like most people beat me to the response and did it well. It didn't mean squat to you, but it did for the children that were there. Ceremonies are important to school and also important in recognizing achievement. You are entitled to your opinion, however silly it may be. Achievement levels are not decreasing, as you suggest. The are ever on the rise, but the problem is that they are not implemented in a way that is condusive to a learning environment. No Child Left Behind has left many children behind. If you don't understand what is happening in our schools or what pressures are being put on our teachers, please don't make assumptions. Educate yourself on these issues and stop listening to whatever is fed to you on our silly media outlets. Talk to people who actually know what is happening to our system, like teachers or principals. This is slightly off topic, but you will find that when you know more about what is REALLY happening out there you don't look like such a judgemental fool.

“Heroes aren't born”

They are made!

#39 May 24, 2011
By The Way, the motto for this was "My Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades," which is a testament to how great this whole thing was. An encouragement to continue dreaming, setting goals, learning, and achieving!
Super Duh

Albuquerque, NM

#40 May 24, 2011
Duh wrote:
<quoted text>
Since when did you all become tree huggers? All of you posting negative comments are usually the ones wanting to drill and destroy the land and animals around. Now you guys care about animals, whatever..
Duh, your comment looks a bit on the negative side. Have you been hanging out with the wrong crowd?

Congratulations on your successfully passing 5th grade! Another 4-6 years and you'll be headed to high school. Atta Boy!
Gus

Las Cruces, NM

#42 May 24, 2011
IggyKat wrote:
<quoted text>
Looks like most people beat me to the response and did it well. It didn't mean squat to you, but it did for the children that were there. Ceremonies are important to school and also important in recognizing achievement. You are entitled to your opinion, however silly it may be. Achievement levels are not decreasing, as you suggest. The are ever on the rise, but the problem is that they are not implemented in a way that is condusive to a learning environment. No Child Left Behind has left many children behind. If you don't understand what is happening in our schools or what pressures are being put on our teachers, please don't make assumptions. Educate yourself on these issues and stop listening to whatever is fed to you on our silly media outlets. Talk to people who actually know what is happening to our system, like teachers or principals. This is slightly off topic, but you will find that when you know more about what is REALLY happening out there you don't look like such a judgemental fool.
Mesilla Elementary failed to meet state requirements in 3 key areas - I assume you are an alumni!

The school was placed on an improvement plan because they had substandard scores for reading comprehension and math proficiency - I've done my research and maybe, as a parent, you should too - that is, if you can squeeze it into your busy schedule of buying balloons and and calling people "judgemental fools".
Gus

Las Cruces, NM

#43 May 24, 2011
Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
I researched this before we ever agreed to do a balloon release and bought these particular balloons - I'm not an ****. These balloons begin degrading as soon as they are exposed to oxygen. If properly inflated, these balloons travel to a height of about 5 miles where they freeze and shatter into tiny pieces which then degrade at the same rate as an oak leaf. They are made from organic products. Animals smell their food before they eat it and are not going to choose to eat a tiny piece of rubber.
Did you sprikle "Fairy Dust" on them while riding by on your Unicorn too?

“Heroes aren't born”

They are made!

#44 May 24, 2011
Gus wrote:
<quoted text>
Mesilla Elementary failed to meet state requirements in 3 key areas - I assume you are an alumni!
The school was placed on an improvement plan because they had substandard scores for reading comprehension and math proficiency - I've done my research and maybe, as a parent, you should too - that is, if you can squeeze it into your busy schedule of buying balloons and and calling people "judgemental fools".
Your ignorance is shinning through again. You just proved my point for me.The state requirements are based off of the Federal mandates of the No Child Left Behind Act. The testing procedures are often not reflective of a true measure of what is being learned in the classroom. What should be done is called a holistic approach and most teachers would agree that it is a better way to teach and learn. However, many are stuck teaching to the test because of the ridiculous No Child Left Behind Act. Since you seem so well versed on the subject I am sure you will know what I am talking about. AYP (I'm sure you know what that is yes?) is determined by testing scores, which are solely based off of standardized tests. Therefor AYP is never actually made and the Federal government steps in. Of course the only ones who ever really look bad are the teachers and students, depite the efforts made to meet standards that are not at all condusive to the learning environment. If we were serious about fixing our school system we would do both, standardized tests and protfolio based assessments, but since we just want the quick fix, we will force our teachers to ditch every other shred of learning to try to get a passing grade on the test. I didn't say anything about buying balloons, my children do not attend this school. However, I have clearly done more "homework" and understand the way this all works much better than you do. Did I mention I have a Bachelors Degree in Education?
Gus

Las Cruces, NM

#45 May 24, 2011
IggyKat wrote:
<quoted text>
Your ignorance is shinning through again. You just proved my point for me.The state requirements are based off of the Federal mandates of the No Child Left Behind Act. The testing procedures are often not reflective of a true measure of what is being learned in the classroom. What should be done is called a holistic approach and most teachers would agree that it is a better way to teach and learn. However, many are stuck teaching to the test because of the ridiculous No Child Left Behind Act. Since you seem so well versed on the subject I am sure you will know what I am talking about. AYP (I'm sure you know what that is yes?) is determined by testing scores, which are solely based off of standardized tests. Therefor AYP is never actually made and the Federal government steps in. Of course the only ones who ever really look bad are the teachers and students, depite the efforts made to meet standards that are not at all condusive to the learning environment. If we were serious about fixing our school system we would do both, standardized tests and protfolio based assessments, but since we just want the quick fix, we will force our teachers to ditch every other shred of learning to try to get a passing grade on the test. I didn't say anything about buying balloons, my children do not attend this school. However, I have clearly done more "homework" and understand the way this all works much better than you do. Did I mention I have a Bachelors Degree in Education?
Did I mention, I don't care what degree you SAY you have? I'm not surprized that you critisize the test results because they show that the schools are lacking. Sure, no test is perfect, but "clearly" your job performance is being put under the microscope by failing to measure up to the only standard available so OF course you are critical of the tests. Maybe if you would spend more time TEACHING instead of creating touchy-feely "bridging ceremonies" then the kids would pass the tests, HMMM? Then the kids could feel good about accomplising something other then letting go of a string.
Gus

Las Cruces, NM

#46 May 24, 2011
I wonder...How many of those kids releasing balloons were socially promoted?
Another Proud Mom

Franklin, MI

#47 May 24, 2011
I don't understand how seeing a picture of some kids having a great day and setting goals has turned into this. First of all you weren't there! You don't know what inspirational words were spoken at the Bridging Ceremony by the teachers and the principal. You also do not know the words that were spoken by a fellow classmate before the release of the balloon. Releasing a balloon was not a prize it was symbolic of "a wish" that their goals someday will be achieved through hard work and dedication. People should stop jumping to conclusions when they don't have all the facts. For some kids it's a hard transition into middle school. This was not a reward for completion it was meant to give them encouragement. To the child who thinks the biodegadable comment was made up. I can attest that it is in fact true. I was there. I hope that when you read this you don't turn it into another negative comment. The day has passed. Some of you will never agree so let's agree to disagree and spend our time doing something more productive. Make it a point to help someone out today and be kind to others.
Dad

Albuquerque, NM

#48 May 25, 2011
Mesilla Elementary was one of only three schools that made AYP last year.

“Heroes aren't born”

They are made!

#49 May 25, 2011
Another Proud Mom wrote:
I don't understand how seeing a picture of some kids having a great day and setting goals has turned into this. First of all you weren't there! You don't know what inspirational words were spoken at the Bridging Ceremony by the teachers and the principal. You also do not know the words that were spoken by a fellow classmate before the release of the balloon. Releasing a balloon was not a prize it was symbolic of "a wish" that their goals someday will be achieved through hard work and dedication. People should stop jumping to conclusions when they don't have all the facts. For some kids it's a hard transition into middle school. This was not a reward for completion it was meant to give them encouragement. To the child who thinks the biodegadable comment was made up. I can attest that it is in fact true. I was there. I hope that when you read this you don't turn it into another negative comment. The day has passed. Some of you will never agree so let's agree to disagree and spend our time doing something more productive. Make it a point to help someone out today and be kind to others.
Beautifully said and so true

“Heroes aren't born”

They are made!

#50 May 25, 2011
Gus wrote:
<quoted text>
Did I mention, I don't care what degree you SAY you have? I'm not surprized that you critisize the test results because they show that the schools are lacking. Sure, no test is perfect, but "clearly" your job performance is being put under the microscope by failing to measure up to the only standard available so OF course you are critical of the tests. Maybe if you would spend more time TEACHING instead of creating touchy-feely "bridging ceremonies" then the kids would pass the tests, HMMM? Then the kids could feel good about accomplising something other then letting go of a string.
I have a degree, but I am not a teacher at this time due to other circumstances in my life. However, it only takes common sense to look at what is being done and know that it is not an accurate measurement of learning nor is it conducive to the learning environment. However, you are hell bent on being right and irrational to boot. I have tried my best to get you to see that the laws in place are a huge disservice to our teachers and children, but you are more concerned with throwing stones. You are no longer worth the time or effort. It is also clear that you not understand what I am talking about, but you are also not willing to consider it. With so much negativity inside I don't see how any day of yours could be good, but I'll wish you a good day anyway.
other circumstances

Albuquerque, NM

#51 May 25, 2011
IggyKat wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a degree, but I am not a teacher at this time due to other circumstances in my life. However, it only takes common sense to look at what is being done and know that it is not an accurate measurement of learning nor is it conducive to the learning environment. However, you are hell bent on being right and irrational to boot. I have tried my best to get you to see that the laws in place are a huge disservice to our teachers and children, but you are more concerned with throwing stones. You are no longer worth the time or effort. It is also clear that you not understand what I am talking about, but you are also not willing to consider it. With so much negativity inside I don't see how any day of yours could be good, but I'll wish you a good day anyway.
are a full time job posting on Topix

“Heroes aren't born”

They are made!

#52 May 25, 2011
other circumstances wrote:
<quoted text>are a full time job posting on Topix
Other circumstances are getting a master's degree and making decisions that were best for my family. Things you wouldn't know about.
anonymous

San Antonio, TX

#56 May 25, 2011
Gus wrote:
"achievment", sorry
I also remember having these type of ceremonies for 5th and 8th grade. They are a way to celebrate moving on. Why can't these children and parents celebrate this without people ruining it. We should be able to celebrate anything we want to, any time, any day. The sad thing is there are parents who don't inspire their children and I think this is a great way of letting those children feel loved and set goals for themselves.
Funny

Huntsville, AL

#57 May 25, 2011
IggyKat wrote:
<quoted text>
Beautifully said and so true
You make so many comments under so many names and usually give your alias a high five. So very transparent and such a sad testament to your flawed character & NO LIFE.
Why is it

Huntsville, AL

#58 May 25, 2011
that every time someone exposes IggyKat's lies about her imagined degrees and all her claims that the comments go missing?

Talk about not wanting her lies exposed!!! The fact that she's working so hard to have comments censored that expose her lies is very telling in that she is a FAKE.
other circumstances

Albuquerque, NM

#59 May 25, 2011
IggyKat wrote:
<quoted text>
Other circumstances are getting a master's degree and making decisions that were best for my family. Things you wouldn't know about.
WHo knew that you could get a masters in Topix posting? Are your posts part of your thesis?

It's very interesting that the Topix moderator found the above comment ABUSE. Just another IggyKat habit because the dumb broad can't take it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mesilla Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
billary for prison 2016 54 min Bloodonhishands 1
News Martinez prefers to stick to issues (Jun '10) 1 hr Lofty 6,879
please come see me 5 hr Yes Baby 27
News NMSU plans to eliminate 126 jobs 8 hr Really 1
News Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) Sun TWP 72,037
News Felon pleads guilty to possessing firearm Jul 21 Gloria 1
KING OBAMA and billary too! Jul 17 Bloodonhishands 1

Mesilla Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance