Dreams do come true

Full story: Las Cruces Sun-News

Each graduating fifth-grade student at Mesilla Elementary School attached a message Monday to the string a balloon that also carried his or her goals and aspirations.
Comments
1 - 20 of 42 Comments Last updated May 25, 2011
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Mom

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2011

Judged:

This was a "bridging ceremony" and the paper used the word "graduation." These kids are done with elementary school and moving on to middle school next year. In a lot of ways, the days of their innocent wide-eyed youth are over and this was a ceremony to send them off on a positive message that they can have big dreams and work hard to achieve them.

Why do you have to make negative comments about such a happy and positive day that these kids had? Have you ever heard the saying "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all?" No one needs your mean comments so keep them to your mean selves.
just saying

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2011

Judged:

Wasn't it a balloon that caused a blackout a few months ago?
Mom

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2011

Judged:

just saying wrote:
Wasn't it a balloon that caused a blackout a few months ago?
That was a mylar balloon that caused an arc due to being metallic. These were biodegradable rubber latex balloons with biodegradable string.
just sayin

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2011

Judged:

It would be fun to have been in the area with a bb gun and shoot me some dreams...
also a Mom

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2011

Judged:

While I appreciate the celebration of accomplishments, I am very concerned that the teacher/school chose to pollute the area with balloons. Gus is right, animals will eat the deflated balloons and it will kill them, as well as adding to the trash that is too common in this area. How selfish of those who planned the ceremony.

Is this a lesson that young people should be learning - do what you want for your own enjoyment and don't worry about the consequences? I think not.
Mom

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2011

Judged:

Symbolic wrote:
Very symbolic using balloons. Let's fill our kids heads with hot air, like balloons. Yes, it's an accomplishment that they "completed" a grade. Congrats to them!! They did not "graduate." That distinction should be reserved for higher level ceremonies, specifically graduating from high school and then college. They are supposed to complete the 5th, 6th, 7th etc. grade. What will be left to celebrate if we continue to praise mediocrity?
As was already stated - this was a "bridging ceremony" and the paper used the word "graduation." It was all about encouraging them to continue working hard when they enter middle school next year.
Another Proud Mom

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2011

Judged:

These children are loved and cared about. As Moms we encourage them to do well and become good people. We want them to know that their dreams and goals are important and the they need to become active members of our society. I thought the ceremony was uplifting and inspiring. Some of the kids need to be reminded that they are just as important as everyone else and capable of doing anything they put their mind to. No, they did not graduate. It was a bridging ceremony. Now is the time to start making goals and reaching to meet them. Today they were made to feel special and that they can do anything they want regardless of their upbringing. Everything was biodegradable. Maybe the people that are being negative could have used a little positive encouragement in their young lives. Stop trying to turn everything into a negative. Enjoy life and spread happiness instead. Give it a try! Everyone seems to be so hot headed these days. I'm not saying this was the best thing for the environment but honestly in the grand scheme of things.... there is a lot worse out there poluting our planet. Put your anger towards helping change something on a bigger scale. Peace to all and God Bless!
Teacher

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2011

Judged:

Another Proud Mom wrote:
These children are loved and cared about. As Moms we encourage them to do well and become good people. We want them to know that their dreams and goals are important and the they need to become active members of our society. I thought the ceremony was uplifting and inspiring. Some of the kids need to be reminded that they are just as important as everyone else and capable of doing anything they put their mind to. No, they did not graduate. It was a bridging ceremony. Now is the time to start making goals and reaching to meet them. Today they were made to feel special and that they can do anything they want regardless of their upbringing. Everything was biodegradable. Maybe the people that are being negative could have used a little positive encouragement in their young lives. Stop trying to turn everything into a negative. Enjoy life and spread happiness instead. Give it a try! Everyone seems to be so hot headed these days. I'm not saying this was the best thing for the environment but honestly in the grand scheme of things.... there is a lot worse out there poluting our planet. Put your anger towards helping change something on a bigger scale. Peace to all and God Bless!
You are missing the point entirely and taking "constructive critism" as a negative. Since when is being able to move on to the next grade, to learn more and accomplish greater things not enough? Since parents like the ones speaking out here decided they needed to praise their kids for what they SHOULD already be doing. We need to be raising the bar here, folks. It is because of this kind of parenting that kids are entering high school not knowing how to read, write or speak at their educational level. They graduated in the 5th grade, so they were done learning and parents are done parenting.
Decent Human Being

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2011

Judged:

One positive action can lead to many others! Making children feel good about this accomplishment can lead them to desire to do even more. They should set goals, have dreams and act on those by continuing in school with people who care and go out into the world to pay forward their positive experiences. Our world is quite obviously filled with people who complain without grounds and facts. Yell loud where everyone can hear their tantrum while standing idle when it counts and make a difference. The plain simple facts are: these children finished elementary school. This was chosen to be acknowledged rather than be dismissed. It was done in a conscientious,and environmently friendly way. It is sad that a very few of you choose to be offended by this! But the majority of us are proud and quite honestly in this day and age every single child that goes on to finish their schooling, be inspired and dare to dream will be one more adult that will better this life. Just like the ones who dared to bring forth the very technology you are using to bash on a few 5th graders and their parents
LMAO

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2011

Judged:

These children finishing elementary school was acknowledged...by a grade of passing. Duh. But again that's not enough these days for you parents, is it? It's not about these kids needing praise. Are they the ones asking for it? Are they the ones saying "I need a Briding Ceremony in order to feel good about myself, so this will lead me to desire more, and want to be a better person and pay it forward?" No, the parents are setting the bar for these kids to EXPECT praise for every little thing they do, a prize for being good. Good luck with that.
95Aggie

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2011

Judged:

I'm torn on this one. I think one of the reasons we have so many kids dropping out is that they have no goals, no plans, no connection between where they want to go and how to get there. So, in that sense, a bridging ceremony where they wrote down their goals, is a very good idea.

Not having been there, I don't know what the tone was, but I would hope that the emphasis was on what comes next rather than a sense of "you've finished". Middle School is a HUGE change for these kids and it's good to acknowledge that, give them the skills and coping mechanisms they'll need in order to succeed.

All in all, I'd rather read about children finishing elementary school and getting ready for middle school than I would read about them being involved with crimes, pregnancy or dropping out.

“Heroes aren't born”

Since: Apr 08

They are made!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2011

Judged:

To all the parents whose child was a part of this, please don't read all the negative ridiculous comments on here and become discouraged. Many of us understand the true meaning behind this ceremony and think it is GREAT! It is not about celebrating mediocrity as some would suggest. Learning to set goals and achieve them is one lesson in life that ALL children need to learn. They need to know that they have to work hard, but with that comes great reward. Showing our children praise and kindness is NOT a bad thing at all. What is most disturbing about the comments here is that our newspaper is continuously reporting gang violence and children running away from home. When something positive does come up, they have to make it negative instead of being happy that there is something good and worthwhile taking place in our community. Such sad people to sit behind a screen and criticize 5th graders for setting goals in their young lives. Kuddos to ALL involved in this! Good luck to the little ones going into the middle school setting.
Dog watcher

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2011

Judged:

Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
That was a mylar balloon that caused an arc due to being metallic. These were biodegradable rubber latex balloons with biodegradable string.
But it is still litter!
Dad

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2011

Judged:

What is with all of the negative comments? What happened to all of you people along the way that would make you want to criticize a bunch of 5th graders who had a great day? Life is too short to be that angry at the world! Why don't you go take a walk and a couple of deep breaths. Maybe it would calm you down (even if it's only for a couple of minutes). Get a grip. No sea turtles are going to be affected! Maybe the government should just outlaw balloons, would that make you happy? What a joke!
Harold Camping

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2011

Judged:

Hey let them celebrate people! Remember come May 21 umm I mean October 21 were all going to be destroyed anyway... Hopefully I got my calculations right this time.
Gus

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2011

Judged:

Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
As was already stated....these were BIODEGRADABLE balloons with BIODEGRADABLE string - believe it or not, we don't want to kill innocent sea creatures even though we are about a thousand miles from the nearest ocean.
Hi "Mom"...Uranium is bio-degradable too, how about we play with that too. Also, where in the Sun-News story did it state that the balloons were biodegradable? I think you just made that up so you would stop feeling guilty because your child will be responsible for polluting and possibly killing innocent animals.

Bye "Mom"

“Heroes aren't born”

Since: Apr 08

They are made!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2011

Judged:

Gus wrote:
<quoted text>
We're not critisizing 5th graders - we ARE critisizing the parents and school officials that think this is somehow appropriate for "Graduating" the 5th grade. If the parents want to celebrate this accomplishment with their kids, more power to them, but do it at home and stop with all these stupid sybolic gestures that don't mean squat.
Can you not read? The Sun News did not print this correctly, which is not all that surprising. It was simply a time to get together and recognize that they are leaving Elementary to go to Middle School. When I was in 5th grade they did the same thing. They will do it again in 8th as a symbol of going from one school to the next and help to ease the tension of having to go to another school next year. It is a step in growing up. Finally there is a big, actual graduation when you leave high school. Suppose we should take that away, too. By your logic we shouldn't be celebrating the completion of high school either as it may just promote students to not want to go to college. Not only that, but you are missing the point entirely. The goal of this was to tie their GOALS onto a balloon and release it. It was symbolic of setting goals and working hard to achieve them. It was a day of happiness and fun celebrating our youth, a pretty uncommon event in Las Cruces and one that should be done more often (celebrating them, not necessarily the balloons). How sad that you would attempt to make this into a negative event.
Gus

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2011

Judged:

IggyKat wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you not read? The Sun News did not print this correctly, which is not all that surprising. It was simply a time to get together and recognize that they are leaving Elementary to go to Middle School. When I was in 5th grade they did the same thing. They will do it again in 8th as a symbol of going from one school to the next and help to ease the tension of having to go to another school next year. It is a step in growing up. Finally there is a big, actual graduation when you leave high school. Suppose we should take that away, too. By your logic we shouldn't be celebrating the completion of high school either as it may just promote students to not want to go to college. Not only that, but you are missing the point entirely. The goal of this was to tie their GOALS onto a balloon and release it. It was symbolic of setting goals and working hard to achieve them. It was a day of happiness and fun celebrating our youth, a pretty uncommon event in Las Cruces and one that should be done more often (celebrating them, not necessarily the balloons). How sad that you would attempt to make this into a negative event.
WOW! I did not say this is a negative event. In fact, I said the parents should celebrate this accomplishment with their kids. What I am against is all of these hair-brained symbolic school ceremonies that keep cropping up in ever increasing numbers, at the same time that our school acheivment levels are ever decreasing. But as long as everyone feels good about themself, that's all that really matters, right?
Gus

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2011

Judged:

"achievment", sorry
Gus

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2011

Judged:

errr..."achievement"

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Mesilla Discussions

Search the Mesilla Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Randy Mattingly and Olga Back 8 hr Family 1
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 12 hr Frijoles 68,368
county commissioners 20 hr behindschedule 1
las cruces sun news - going out of business 20 hr behindschedule 3
Interstate 10 overpass project at Mesquite exit... 20 hr behindschedule 1
patience of dr. ann mercer unit. Tue watchdog1 1
Las Cruces mayor joins anti-bullying initiative Tue Bloodonhishands 1
•••
•••
•••
Mesilla Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••