NM Supreme Court Set to Hear Marriage Equality Case

Sep 9, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: EDGE

After eight of the 33 counties in New Mexico started issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples this year, the state's Supreme Court agreed on Friday to hear a gay marriage case, deciding whether or not marriage equality should be legal throughout the entire state, NBCNews reports.

Comments
1 - 8 of 8 Comments Last updated Oct 28, 2013

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

33.00, -111.51

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2013

Judged:

I think the justices will decide in our favor and grant Marriage Equality.

A general rule of law is that if somethnig is not forbidden by law, then it is permitted. Since same-sex marriage is not forbidden in the law in New Mexico, then it must be permitted.

I think that is what the justices will find.

“26.2”

Since: Feb 08

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2013

Judged:

The Court will refer to

Article II, Section 4 of the N.M. State Constitution:

Sec. 4.[Inherent rights.]
All persons are born equally free, and have certain natural, inherent and inalienable rights, among which are the rights of enjoying and defending life and liberty, of acquiring, possessing and protecting property, and of seeking and obtaining safety and happiness.

Seems like a no-brainer that gays have the same inherent rights as all other persons. Case closed.

“US Navy”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2013

Lobo Viejo wrote:
The Court will refer to
Article II, Section 4 of the N.M. State Constitution:
Sec. 4.[Inherent rights.]
All persons are born equally free, and have certain natural, inherent and inalienable rights, among which are the rights of enjoying and defending life and liberty, of acquiring, possessing and protecting property, and of seeking and obtaining safety and happiness.
Seems like a no-brainer that gays have the same inherent rights as all other persons. Case closed.
If that's the section they use it will be interesting to read their rationale for it on this issue. It's all in the interpretation.

“Each Thought Creates A Reality”

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2013

Ed Chavez, if one can read the poorly written KRQE article correctly, went:

"Why is this a question of constitutional interpretation, which is our responsibility, as opposed to a social-policy issue, which is the responsibility of the Legislature?" he said.

"Campbell argued it's not a religious debate but rather a social one that should be decided by the voters, not the courts." Whoever he/she is...

We definitely have some winners.

http://www.krqe.com/news/local/new-mexico-sup...

“26.2”

Since: Feb 08

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2013

I am simply appalled that these GOP bigots are spending so much time and money to assert their religious beliefs on everyone else, and to deny gays a fundamental human right that is provided elsewhere by state law. Allowing gays to marry is not going to harm anyone, and there are far more pressing issues that deserve attention.

If the GOP wants to legalize bigotry, they first need to repeal the laws that provide equality. Then they can outlaw gay marriage. But why stop there? Why not outlaw Muslim mosques, Buddhist temples and anything else that is not Christian? If it's approved by a popular vote, it's OK, right?

The good news for gays is that I don't see Campbell's arguments as being very creative, and not at all persuasive.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

33.00, -111.51

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2013

Lobo Viejo wrote:
I am simply appalled that these GOP bigots are spending so much time and money to assert their religious beliefs on everyone else, and to deny gays a fundamental human right that is provided elsewhere by state law. Allowing gays to marry is not going to harm anyone, and there are far more pressing issues that deserve attention.
If the GOP wants to legalize bigotry, they first need to repeal the laws that provide equality. Then they can outlaw gay marriage. But why stop there? Why not outlaw Muslim mosques, Buddhist temples and anything else that is not Christian? If it's approved by a popular vote, it's OK, right?
The good news for gays is that I don't see Campbell's arguments as being very creative, and not at all persuasive.
I agree. Well said.

“Each Thought Creates A Reality”

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2013

Lobo Viejo wrote:
Seems that there are more than you can think of that are more than willing to bypass the representative government and judiciary to vote their "conscience"...just depends on what the issue is...all others are verboten. And homophobes are of every political stripe as well.
Kosher Frank

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2013

Who cares? I don't!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Mesilla Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
El Paso border advocate arrested at Rep. Steve ... 9 min Memo From Turner 45
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 5 hr JOEL 68,862
Interstate 10 overpass project at Mesquite exit... 16 hr MrBuster 4
single women in cruces Fri teabag4tulips 1
Review: Action Towing & Rescue Thu Drunken Davin 2
Carlsbad fourth among New Mexico cities in lodg... Thu Carlsbad Resident 1
affrique (May '12) Aug 20 Sailboat1107 217

Search the Mesilla Forum:
•••
•••