Mescalero pledges firefighting help - Ruidoso News

Full story: Ruidoso News

If wildfire suppression assistance is needed beyond the Mescalero Apache Reservation boundary, a tribal agency has pledged its help.
Comments
1 - 11 of 11 Comments Last updated Mar 19, 2011
Tribal Member

Mescalero, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2011

Judged:

Does Mr. Ruiz have the authority to commit the Mescalero Tribe. Mr. Ruiz is not a Tribal Member and actually occupies a position where a Tribal Member could be hired. His employment violates a Tribal Ordinance which specifically prohibits Tribal Directors from creating positions for Non-Tribal Members by tailoring the requirements to exclude Tribal Members. Too bad the Tribal Council allows this. It depends on who are or who you know (basically, people are afraid to lose votes so they allow this practice).
Reality

Ruidoso, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2011

Judged:

Tribal Member wrote:
It depends on who are or who you know
As opposed to what you are not. Qualified.
Mikilo

Alto, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2011

Judged:

Reality wrote:
<quoted text>
As opposed to what you are not. Qualified.
Total burn!
Another Tribal Member

Mescalero, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2011

Judged:

Yes, in a perfect world, there would be qualified Tribal members in all the supervisory and managerial positions on the reservation. If memory serves me right, it was Tribal members at BIA Forestry, through their ineptitude and lack of experience, who caused the Tribe to lose the Hotshots and created such a mess of that program. Even now, the 2 top people (Tribal members) up there do not meet the full performance standards for their jobs. And what about Tribal members at the Inn who just rape the Tribe's enterprises? It seems like its OK for Tribal members to ruin Tribal programs, but its a violation for hard working, non-Tribal people to do their best for the Tribe. What's wrong with this picture?
3rd Tribal Member

Mescalero, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2011

Judged:

People think nepotism is bad in Ruidoso. I feel as long as someone is qualified and has the Tribe’s best interest at heart then race shouldn’t matter. I would like to see more of our people employed, especial in management positions, but not at the cost of everyone else’s well-being. Our problem is we don’t have enough qualified people, me included, to run large operations and make them efficient and profitable. If more of us were worried about the Tribe as a whole and not whether or not their cousin has a manager position then perhaps some of our new subdivisions might actually have paved roads, or even our own ambulance services. Hey then we wouldn’t have to wait 45 minutes for and ambulance to come up here from Alamogordo, thank you Mescalero Fire Rescue for working harder than you should have to. The Tribe’s industries have the potential to be very profitable, and that profit is supposed to be used for our infrastructure and community services since we have no property tax. So every dollar we lose in our enterprises is felt by all tribal members.

Okay so I had to rant, now back to topic. We are all neighbors, and we need to help each other. Mr. Ruiz is letting everyone know that our neighbors don’t need to go through the red tape of contacting the BIA if they need help, just contact his department and we can be by our neighbor’s side to help much quicker.
Thanks

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2011

Judged:

3rd Tribal Member wrote:
People think nepotism is bad in Ruidoso. I feel as long as someone is qualified and has the Tribe’s best interest at heart then race shouldn’t matter. I would like to see more of our people employed, especial in management positions, but not at the cost of everyone else’s well-being. Our problem is we don’t have enough qualified people, me included, to run large operations and make them efficient and profitable. If more of us were worried about the Tribe as a whole and not whether or not their cousin has a manager position then perhaps some of our new subdivisions might actually have paved roads, or even our own ambulance services. Hey then we wouldn’t have to wait 45 minutes for and ambulance to come up here from Alamogordo, thank you Mescalero Fire Rescue for working harder than you should have to. The Tribe’s industries have the potential to be very profitable, and that profit is supposed to be used for our infrastructure and community services since we have no property tax. So every dollar we lose in our enterprises is felt by all tribal members.
Okay so I had to rant, now back to topic. We are all neighbors, and we need to help each other. Mr. Ruiz is letting everyone know that our neighbors don’t need to go through the red tape of contacting the BIA if they need help, just contact his department and we can be by our neighbor’s side to help much quicker.
Very good post.
Concerned Citizen

Spicewood, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2011

Judged:

3rd Tribal Member wrote:
Nepotism is wrong in a professional workplace and is not tolerated by most progressive municipalities. It is not a matter of race. It is when one family member helps another to obtain an unfair advantage in the workplace.

In Ruidoso it may have damaged one mans career and entire family.

It is very different than Native American self determination, which most people fully support.
new mexico

Ruidoso, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2011

Judged:

Tribal Member wrote:
Does Mr. Ruiz have the authority to commit the Mescalero Tribe. Mr. Ruiz is not a Tribal Member and actually occupies a position where a Tribal Member could be hired. His employment violates a Tribal Ordinance which specifically prohibits Tribal Directors from creating positions for Non-Tribal Members by tailoring the requirements to exclude Tribal Members. Too bad the Tribal Council allows this. It depends on who are or who you know (basically, people are afraid to lose votes so they allow this practice).
we need ppl like this its awesome i dont see why your complaining
Joe Afiliate

Mescalero, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2011

Judged:

Ray has the authority because his tribal member boss gave it to him. Does it really matter who helps when it comes to fire? Not if it's your home or property on fire. Besides, Ray needs to drive that parade worthy pick-up truck somewhere. Its better Ray and his non-tribal member co-workers get paid for something. Rather than, his pompous boss squanders it on herself and her family like usual. It's not Ray's fault that he benefits from the tribe. He did not hire himself. Tax payers would do better to demand an audit on the program he works for. Tribal members are their own worst enemies. As long as it is more important to whom you're related too rather than what you can actually do, it will be the same old story in Mescalero. So, don't begrudge Ray for benefiting from this, when the real culprits sign his paycheck.

Since: Mar 11

Mescalero, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2011

Judged:

I hear that! It don't matter who's carrying the bucket of water when a fire's at hand. It can be Ray Ruiz or Ray Missing a Feather! Funny enough, if you wiped out just the direct nepotism in the tribal enterprises, and this don't even include the cousins, there will be a lot of job opportunities for the rest. Don't hold your breath. The outrageously over paid and under qualified aren't packing up any time soon.

Since: Mar 11

Mescalero, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2011

Tribal Member wrote:
Sounds as if Chicken "Little" is screaming the sky is falling again. Too bad the BIA still caters to the spineless. Some one needs to come out of the closet! Do back attacks wear you out, or is your neck getting stronger from looking over your shoulder all the time? It would be nice if you cleaned up your own backyard before you start criticizing your neighbors.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Mescalero Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Mescalero People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••