Ruidoso School Security

Ruidoso School Security

Posted in the Mescalero Forum

Torren

Ruidoso, NM

#1 Jan 15, 2013
Having worked in Ruidoso Public Schools awhile back I was surprised at how easy it was to just walk right into almost any school. There are usually some back doors left unlocked or propped open. Access through the kitchen entrance is usually unrestricted, and if the side doors are all locked, the main entrance is open and theoretically a staff member is supposed to greet all visitors. Many times I entered unchallenged and left without the front ever having known I was there. Props go to SVP for having the best security, even though the kitchen is often open. Even there, the vigilant front desk lady did NOT look like much of an obstruction between the children and visitors. I just hope that in light of recent events that positive and useful measures are being taken to improve security at all schools. My young family members will be attending in a couple years.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#2 Jan 15, 2013
That's a very good post and I hope you will alert the current Superintendent or someone who will actually do something about this lack of security for the children in our school district. It's all very worrisome and I cannot believe strangers could romp through the school kitchens with unrestricted access. The very thought.
Another Tragic Shooting

Ruidoso, NM

#3 Jan 15, 2013
Another school shooting is St. Louis today. Wake up call?
Torren

Ruidoso, NM

#4 Jan 15, 2013
GladysSmith wrote:
That's a very good post and I hope you will alert the current Superintendent or someone who will actually do something about this lack of security for the children in our school district. It's all very worrisome and I cannot believe strangers could romp through the school kitchens with unrestricted access. The very thought.
Thanks Gladys! I hope this post might help but yes, I probably need to get right in the proper faces.
Duh

Ruidoso, NM

#5 Jan 16, 2013
Another Tragic Shooting wrote:
Another school shooting is St. Louis today. Wake up call?
Although it was a school it wasn't one that has children in it. More of a business school.
Reality

Ruidoso, NM

#6 Jan 16, 2013
I have been to the schools, the designs themselves do not lend to a "safe" environment. The only true way to make the schools "safe" is to put a fence completely around the campus with one entrance/exit and a security person stationed at that point all day. All guests are escorted instead of just signing a list and getting a sticker to put on your shirt. Currently there is no ID required to sign the list. Remember that a "safe" environment is only a relative term and safety anywhere can not be guaranteed.
nmle2180

Ruidoso, NM

#7 Jan 24, 2013
As a parent of a child enrolled in the Ruidoso Municipal Schools, I am all for putting up an 8-10 ft secure fence around our campuses. I also believe that at 8 am, the school should be on complete lock-down.

As for SVP having the best security, even they are lacking as just last year a registered child sex offender walked right into the school and was wondering the halls until confronted by a vigilant coach, who escorted him to the office and contacted the school resource officer.

These schools are atrocious where security is concerned.
Mimi

Carlsbad, NM

#8 Jan 25, 2013
nmle2180 wrote:
As a parent of a child enrolled in the Ruidoso Municipal Schools, I am all for putting up an 8-10 ft secure fence around our campuses. I also believe that at 8 am, the school should be on complete lock-down.
As for SVP having the best security, even they are lacking as just last year a registered child sex offender walked right into the school and was wondering the halls until confronted by a vigilant coach, who escorted him to the office and contacted the school resource officer.
These schools are atrocious where security is concerned.
Tighter restrictions should be made on campus visitors. Several years ago when I visited my grandchild's school in Texas, I was required to sign in and leave my driver's license in the office during my visit. That seemed to be a good idea. As for contacting the school resource officer here in Ruidoso, since he is required to cover several campuses, that probably wouldn't deter anyone from making unwanted appearances. Not too hard to figure out that he is rarely present, especially at RHS where he's needed more often. Our children deserve the safest schools we can provide. Ruidoso needs to improve their efforts to insure the students are safely secured while they attend school. No easy task but a necessary one. Everyone would agree that the kids are worth it!
paisley

Hobbs, NM

#9 Jan 25, 2013
I think the school should require parental consent and prenotification before terrorizing our youngest students eith mock drills. I am outraged!
Think Again

Ruidoso, NM

#10 Jan 26, 2013
paisley wrote:
I think the school should require parental consent and prenotification before terrorizing our youngest students eith mock drills. I am outraged!
Go ahead and be outraged...but thousands of proactively managed school districts throughout the country are now doing just that...training. If you would take the time to research the Nationally Certified Active Shooter Response Training Program (not some locally bastardized version of this training) you would find that the kids are not terrorized by the training and in fact, are normally involved at a very minimal level. This is not the objective of this training, either to fully involve or terrorize kids. As simply as it can be stated, the program is however intended to heighten the awareness of police officers, school administrators, EMT's and utility companies to the appropiate response to an active shooter.

Preplanning for a disaster, any type of disaster, is seldom a mistake or waste of time. The folks at Sandy Hook were also probably thinking the way you are thinking now...it can never happen here, why train?
nmle2180

Ruidoso, NM

#11 Jan 28, 2013
Mimi wrote:
<quoted text>
Tighter restrictions should be made on campus visitors. Several years ago when I visited my grandchild's school in Texas, I was required to sign in and leave my driver's license in the office during my visit. That seemed to be a good idea. As for contacting the school resource officer here in Ruidoso, since he is required to cover several campuses, that probably wouldn't deter anyone from making unwanted appearances. Not too hard to figure out that he is rarely present, especially at RHS where he's needed more often. Our children deserve the safest schools we can provide. Ruidoso needs to improve their efforts to insure the students are safely secured while they attend school. No easy task but a necessary one. Everyone would agree that the kids are worth it!
Agreed. The argument was made to Village Council recently for at least a second SRO to assist in school campus security. It might be worth checking in with the Council to see if the approved of the position, or if, as I would suspect, they found some reason NOT to provide a second.(Although they don't seem to have any problems creating UNEEDED positions at Village Hall.)
the buzz

Carrizozo, NM

#12 Jan 28, 2013
it's a public building. and beside all of the school shootings are not very common. everyone is going into hysteria. you have abetter chance of being shot in chicago or detroit than in a school. always the small towners that get hysterical.
Heisenberg

Alamogordo, NM

#13 Jan 29, 2013
These ignorant, blind towns in these liberally blind states like NM couldn't fend off, and fix a porta potty backup, let alone any natural, or man made disaster.
nobhill

United States

#14 Jan 29, 2013
has anyone traveled between the hospital and Nob hill? the building crew handling the medical complex is causing many problems and not adhering to code. this is going on on the same block as our kindergarten. no one is taking action.
Just In

Biloxi, MS

#15 Jan 31, 2013
paisley wrote:
I think the school should require parental consent and prenotification before terrorizing our youngest students eith mock drills. I am outraged!
I think they do inform the parents that at some point a school will do a Fire Drill,Earth Quake Drill,Tornado Drill,fill in the blank.It is better than getting broken bones from being trampled in a panic.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mescalero Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Say it in six words (Jul '08) 5 min Richies Cool Man ... 9,028
Anthony Cera 23 hr Stupido 8
Demrie Jul 23 88210anm 1
Adult video (Sep '10) Jul 20 1stRider 26
Gay sexting (Oct '14) Jul 17 George Bento 12
Oxygen Jul 12 Visitor 2
is border patrol academy moving Jul 11 Question 1

Mescalero Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Mescalero Mortgages