Andrea

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2006

I am driving my husband to JFK on July 20th. After dropping him off, I plan to continue on and show my kids Oceanside where I grew up. I know Chwatsky's is gone and Custom Bakers in Island Park. Oceanside has grown and so has the shopping since i lived there.(I graduated in 1973). My kids will see the house where I grew up on Links Drive East and the high school. What other places should I show them and more important, where is there a good place to pick up some good food? I have fond memories of the original Nathan's which was torn down a long time ago. Any suggestions on the sites to see in Oceanside?
Edward Chilton

Bay City, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2006

Andrea wrote:
I am driving my husband to JFK on July 20th. After dropping him off, I plan to continue on and show my kids Oceanside where I grew up. I know Chwatsky's is gone and Custom Bakers in Island Park. Oceanside has grown and so has the shopping since i lived there.(I graduated in 1973). My kids will see the house where I grew up on Links Drive East and the high school. What other places should I show them and more important, where is there a good place to pick up some good food? I have fond memories of the original Nathan's which was torn down a long time ago. Any suggestions on the sites to see in Oceanside?
I graduated from OHS with the 50th class, in 1960. My June visit to Oceanside filled me up with sadness, exhaust fumes, and tackiness. After three hours I was ready to keep rolling back home to Michigan. I had not been to the town of my youth in 16 years and the myriad changes were just too much for me to absorb.

Of course I headed for Nathan's and found the food as tasty as I remembered, but too pricey. Many of my favorite stores and landmarks were gone. I did not recognize the town library, though the staff were very friendly and helpful when I asked for some Town History references.

Frankly, the best way for people to visit Oceanside, NY, is via the OHS class website called 1960Sailors.net , which has a section of old photohgraphs and newspaper clippings. Posted and maintained by Howard Levy, it is a delight to the mature Oceansider. On this site you can find an IFQ, infrequently asked questions, which is of my own creation.
Andrea

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2006

Edward Chilton wrote:
<quoted text>
I graduated from OHS with the 50th class, in 1960. My June visit to Oceanside filled me up with sadness, exhaust fumes, and tackiness. After three hours I was ready to keep rolling back home to Michigan. I had not been to the town of my youth in 16 years and the myriad changes were just too much for me to absorb.
Of course I headed for Nathan's and found the food as tasty as I remembered, but too pricey. Many of my favorite stores and landmarks were gone. I did not recognize the town library, though the staff were very friendly and helpful when I asked for some Town History references.
Frankly, the best way for people to visit Oceanside, NY, is via the OHS class website called 1960Sailors.net , which has a section of old photohgraphs and newspaper clippings. Posted and maintained by Howard Levy, it is a delight to the mature Oceansider. On this site you can find an IFQ, infrequently asked questions, which is of my own creation.
Thanks Ed for your honest comments. My brother also told me about the tackiness of Oceanside and how it has changed. I used to belong to Classmates.com and saw many of the posts that Howard Levy made to the forum. I lost the website address which he told many of us to go to. He is a wealth of information about Oceanside. Maybe you are right and I should probably skip the Oceanside visit and just remember the Oceanside of old. It was a great place to grow up.
Marian Wagner

Spring, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2006

Edward Chilton wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, Ed. I am interested in the types of Town History references you may have received. I'd like to go deeper into learning about some of the historical events Dr. Boardman speaks of in his history in Gem on the Green. Did the Oceanside Library have earlier town histories for you to see?
PS I am a big fan of the work done by Howard Levy and others. Thanks for your infrequently asked questions section!
marian ramsden wagner class of 1966.
Marian Wagner

Spring, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2006

Not sure why my response to Ed Chilton says "Newark, New Jersey." However, my home (and computer from which I'm writing) is in Barnet, Vermont.
Haylie

Troy, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2006

I think it's plain mean to call the town tacky. Yes it has gotten crowded and built up but young people like myself who read these boards have chosen to make their home and raise thier family in the 2006 version of Oceanside. It's not fair to attempt to compare any place to the 1950's or 60's. So much has changed since then. Sorry your nostalgia has been ruined but if you lived in your Michgan town during that era and went back over 40 years later I am sure you would be equally dissapointed.
There are great places to shop, eat and hang out with friends. Please, be nice and considerate. Hopefully they teach that in Michigan as well.
Jack

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2007

Good for you, Haylie...I agree...you have to root for the hometown. I left O'side 50 years ago but still find interesting things to do on those few times I return.
Lorne Salzer

Sherman Oaks, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2007

I rarely respond to this sort of thing, but take great objection to slings and arrows thrown at my home town, Oceanside,L.I. I was a product of that "tacky" little town from kgn (Terrel Ave) to '46 graduate of OHS.My sister was a '39 grad and returned to become a member of the faculty at OHS. Certainly it has changed, hasn't everything and everyone.?Things that can never be erased ..MEMORIES OF A GREAT SMALL TOWN
Lorne Salzer

Sherman Oaks, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2007

PS...I do not reside in Ft.Lauderdale. Have lived in Miami since 1957 (almost a native)
Edward Chilton

Bay City, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2010

Serendipity returns me to this web page after more than 4 years. I have realized something in the time that has passed. The Oceanside I grew up in from 1950 to 1965 would have been regarded as =tacky= by any visitor from Midland or Bay City, Michigan. I retain affection for Oceanside as the site of my boyhood, but the simple house on Davison Avenue in which I grew up looks like it dreams of living in Ft. Lauderdale. There is a depressing pretentiousness to the original tract houses, which have grown into larger shells like sea turtles.
Ed
LiesAreGentle

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2010

Even if you do go down memory lane in Oceanside, your kids won't appreciate it. They'll just wanna go to one of the two Gamestop's on Long Beach Rd and get new video games. And Nathans sucks! Filled with overly obese couples getting their Arthur Treacher's fix...
Ann Larchmont NY

Tuckahoe, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Question for anyone who lived in Oceanside during 1962-6:
Does anyone remember a family who had a llama or alpaca in their yard? Their yard ran along Fulton Avenue a little north of School 8. We kids would see it everyday when walking from Perkins Avenue to the school. People don't believe me!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 12 of12
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

Merrick News Video

•••
•••

Merrick Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Merrick People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••