High Winds Blow Tree Over On Top Of A...

High Winds Blow Tree Over On Top Of A House

There are 9 comments on the WHNT News 19 story from Apr 25, 2010, titled High Winds Blow Tree Over On Top Of A House. In it, WHNT News 19 reports that:

John Michael Greathouse and his family are counting their blessings after a tree was up rooted by high winds and collapsed on their Meridianville home during Saturday's storms.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WHNT News 19.

KayHSV

Charleston, SC

#1 Apr 25, 2010
I think legally he will have to assume responsibility to pay for the damages. Not sure, but I would look into it. I would contact my insurance company also to see if they could help sort through it. If you have to have temporary housing until the work is done, it should be paid by the land owner whose property the tree fell from I would think. Worth contacting a lawyer for advice to see?

Since: Jan 10

Huntsville, AL

#2 Apr 25, 2010
Unless it's changed, the only way the property owner would be responsible is if the tree was a known hazard, he had been warned about it and neglected to do anything about it. Otherwise it's considered an "act of God" and you are responsible for your own damage. Been there, done that.

Since: Mar 10

Dubuque, IA

#3 Apr 25, 2010
Thank God no one was hurt ! Hopefully they can get some help to repair the house.
Anon123

Trafford, AL

#4 Apr 25, 2010
I believe that Ghost Bear is correct. Out neighbor's tree landed on our house. It was considered an "act of God." Our roof was damaged by hail during the same storm, but most of the insurance money that we received (our policy) was eaten up by the bill we got to remove the neighbor's huge oak tree from our yard!!
KayHSV

Charleston, SC

#5 Apr 25, 2010
Being it was a business developing land, and the removing of other surrounding trees, and wreaking the land and structure supporting the tree, I think the land owner would be held responsible. I understand it was a "act of God", but there was no other trees in the area uprooted, and the home sustained damage most likely due to the development of the land surrounding the tree, I personally would lawyer up. My advice to friends of this family that might not have access to a computer right now, is to have them to contact a lawyer tomorrow. They have already had to repair their home once to this business developing the land, and a tree falling on their home, and doing damage. I am glad nobody was hurt, but if that child had been in bed, the topic here could have been the planning of a funeral due to the land development. I think they have a case, but a lawyer can tell you for sure. It is a blessing the family was not in the area of the home the tree branches fell into.
Ghost Bear

Huntsville, AL

#6 Apr 25, 2010
It doesn't matter if it's a business, according to our insurance company the trees would have to be a "known hazard" and the owner made aware of the situation beforehand and did nothing to negate the hazard....then they and their insurance would be responsible. Clearing land for development does not automatically make it a hazard.
real world

Decatur, AL

#7 Apr 25, 2010
duh, he was "made aware" - when the tree fell on the carport the owner told the wife they would take down the other trees "when we got to it". If he had been removing dirt from around the roots, he's an idiot for not taking the tree down the same day the other tree fell. I think it's really up to the insurance company if they want to fight the developer for the cost of fixing the house.
Ghost Bear

Huntsville, AL

#8 Apr 25, 2010
real world....that happened last year. If the trees were live and growing then their insurance will tell you it's on you and any insurance you have to fix it. Having one fall previously does not make other trees on the property a known hazard unless they are dead, rotten, half out of the ground, etc. I know, it happened to us several years ago.
BRIAN

Huntsville, AL

#9 Apr 27, 2010
AS A FRIEND AND CO WORKER WHAT MR GREATHOUSE NEEDS IS A PROBONO LAWYER AND SOME FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE. ANY HELP CAN BE SENT TO MR GREATHOUSE DIRECTLY AT 112 PATTERSON RD MERIDIANVILLE, AL 35759

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Meridianville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Looks like Remington is giving up on Huntsville 19 hr HickoryGOINtoHUNT... 9
Skanky"s Bar Jul 31 on a feather 44
Baby Died After Days on Swing Jul 29 rea todd 3
Curt Fox (Nov '10) Jul 26 Bill 6
News American Shingle Complaints: The Number Of Peop... (Aug '10) Jul 25 Sharon Christian 70
Lauren Morrison Jul 24 Awww no 9
single men (Apr '12) Jul 23 smebber frumdahood 24
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Meridianville Mortgages