Relocating to Meridian, MS

Posted in the Meridian Forum

Vanesa

Natchitoches, LA

#1 May 30, 2011
I'm planning to move to Meridian from Florida due to my job. My children are in middle/high school. So if anyone can help in giving me your opinion on which schools would be best. I know ratings on greatschools is there, but that's ratings. I want someone's real opinion especially if you have CURRENT children attending those schools and know first hand what would be a good school to enroll them in. Also we'll be looking in the area for of course a home, but does anyone know of the neighborhood/areas I want to avoid. Again I know real estate agents want to sell a home so some aren't to up front about the safety of some neighborhoods to newcomers. What is a nice area, community, subdivision, best schools in the area we should be looking toward. Any positive opinion is greatly appreciated. thank you.
anonymous

Winfield, IL

#2 May 31, 2011
I lived in Meridian for YEARS and in my opinion, and for your kids sake, I'd definately NOT move to that town!! There's nothing there for your children. No hobbies, past times, etc.. there's more crime and druggies there that I'm surprised the whole place isn't condemned yet. Although, if you absolutely have to move, Northeast or Southeast school districts would be best.
Vanesa

Natchitoches, LA

#3 Jun 5, 2011
Thank you for the information. Unfortunately I do have to move otherwise it'll be living away from my family for 2 years. What neighborhoods in that area do you consider safe or good to purchase a home at? Hobbies we'll probably drive to Alabama to get away now and then, but our homefront will have to be Meridian
teen frrom Meridian

Pearl, MS

#4 Jun 7, 2011
Meridian is an alright town! We are within practical driving distance from several larger towns with more options, if you ever feel like getting out of town. I graduated a few years ago. I went to Northeast k-12 , it was great. If you have kids in elementary school, Clarkdale is happening place now. However, I'm not much of a Southeast fan. Your kids will be fine if they are involved. If they choose not to have hobbies than they wont. A town can't make your kids have hobbies or past times. That's their own option. All the schools have excellent athletic programs. Meridian has youth sport organizations for both boys and girls. There are several dance and gymnastic businesses for girls even.
WASP

Irvine, CA

#5 Aug 9, 2011
My advice, would be stay away from any neighborhoods that have non-whites, tweakers, or skinny wiggers walking around with their hats tilted to the side. But that's just my opinion. You do what you think is right.
clarke county neighbor

Meridian, MS

#6 Aug 12, 2011
WOW! Vanessa, I'm so sorry for the negative info. Meridian is like any other town, there are good areas and not so good areas. Clarkdale is an excellent school district but is about 10 miles outside of town. West Lauderdale is also a good school. Meridian public school district is just not a good academic school. They have been on academic watch for two consecutive years. If that is your only option then I would suggest Lamar School which is a private Christian school. GREAT academic school. Look for a neighborhood NOT in the city of Meridian. Look out in the county for a home. There are lots of things to do. It's what you make of it. Lots of good churches with lots of activities for kids. Good luck!!!!
LaurenJ

Poplar Bluff, MO

#7 Feb 12, 2012
I was raised in Meridian & lived there until a few years ago. I went to Clarkdale, & it's a great school. It's about 10 miles from town. None of the city schools are that great. Russell Christian Academy & Lamar are private schools that are excellent. As far as neighborhoods, anywhere in North Meridian or in the North Hills area will be your best bet.
jerry

Myrtle Beach, SC

#8 Feb 24, 2012
i lived in Meridian,MS from 2004 till 2010...I moved there for a job but I got a promotion and now living in Tampa,FL...before Meridian, I lived in Ohio for 3 years and before that i was in college at U of Virginia...I was born and raised in DC area...ok, Meridian isn't so bad...anywhere you live, it's what you make of it...I appreciated a lot of aspects of the town and didn't appreciate other things...every town has it's good and bad...meridian is an old town with some charm and class; however, certain areas i wouldn't suggest residing in...North Meridian is nice...i lived in an old beautiful home on poplar...i like that area....the people are very friendly and i've never lived anywhere that i knew if i needed something or someone, I had countless of people i could count on...i moved there expecting sooo much racism but honestly, it's not much different than most places...sure, there was some racist people but in all honestly, it was 2 sided and in my experience, places in Virginia are much more in-your-face racist....anyway, good luck...oh yea, meridian has a fantastic medical community..this is in part b/c it's bordered by all counties that have small towns, thus no major hospitals
good luck

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Meridian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
military hoes to watch out for (Feb '11) Oct 5 Onewhodoesntgivea... 8
The Winter WonderLand (Jan '10) Sep '14 Bob Adams 2
snowman Sep '14 Bob 1
Debate: Drinking Age - Meridian, MS (Dec '11) Aug '14 Anonymous Griffith 3
mazingos Aug '14 bud 1
Murder suspect Vashon Walker gets $500,000 bond Jul '14 JANICE 1
Greg Payne Jul '14 NEM 1
Meridian Dating
Find my Match

Meridian Jobs