Mercedes mayor's job offer questioned

Jul 18, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Valley Morning Star

Mayor Joel Quintanilla has been offered a $62,000-a-year day job with the Mercedes school district, school board members said, but one local businessman says the mayor isn't qualified for the position.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 11 of11
los hijos de villa

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2008

It's a saddening situation for our community. The mayors sole claim to fame is an outlet that originated several years before he even took office. The "compradismo" that exists within this community has kept our community down for many years. School board members should never have placed the school district and community in this situation. School board members should know better. Why would you offer someone with no formal training such a position. Was the position for which the mayor applied even announced in the valley newspapers? I don't believe it was. School board members should really reconsider their decision because it will come back to bite them where the good lord split them. Have some respect for the positions that you hold. You were electedd to represent the people of this community and not your personal interest.
Gilbert

Weslaco, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2008

Judged:

Mr. Quintanilla may be better qualified than a college graduate that has little or no real world experience. He has been a building contractor for many years. As far as a conflict of interest, I'm sure that the school board attorney investigated that claim before the board acted.
No secrets

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2008

Judged:

Gilbert, you have no earthly idea what you are talking about. The fact remains that the job description for this Directorship, for which Quintanilla has been offered, was changed on June 28, 2008. The changes include: education required and even the titel, from director to manager. How convenient. This was just in time to allow Quintanilla to apply and qualify. Whether the legalities are in place is not the issue. Morally and ethically ...IT is wrong when you use your position to get what you want. There are employees who have masters degrees and have over 24 years of experience and DO NOT, DO NOT make anything close to $63,000. The employees have invested their time and money to get an education and have professional employment. And yes...Quintanilla has 24 years of construction experience, but absolutely has not earned the right to a directorship that pays 63,000 dollars.
But we'll see...I hear he is planning to run for a higher office in Hidalgo county. I'll tell you one thing..the professionals at MISD will not vote for him.
Mario Cano

Mcallen, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2008

Judged:

I believe that all the school members have voted. Wake up people this happens all over the valley no just Mercedes. I think the mayor would be great for that position. I mean look at at sylvia handy she makes over 90,000.00 with only a GED she has done great! so dont hate people ! Sometimes people with the degrees cant preform in the job. Experience sometimes can beat that degree.
Further North

Austin, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2008

Judged:

It's appalling to see grown men act like little kids. Being a Mercedes native, I'm well aware of all the great things Mr. Quintanilla has done for this city. And because I have eyes and ears and simply from osmosis, I'm also aware how accomplished he is in his personal business. And he's done it all without a degree. But there's one thing he has plenty of, and that is sense. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, believe it or not a lot of "uneducated" people actually have common sense. Through time, he's also gained experience. Imagine that, common sense and experience. Corporations, as well as state and government agencies, at any given time accept years of experience for required or preferred degrees. Why should this be any different?
Leaders are born, not made. Mr. Quintanilla is a self-actualized leader. He's intelligent, confident, articulate, hard-working, not to mention honest! I could go on, but I'll spare all the bloggers. Dare I say Mr. Quintanilla joins the ranks of many accomplished, important professionals who don't have a degree, such as: Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Michael Dell, Rush Limbaugh, Ted Turner, Barry Goldwater, Peter Jennings, Harry Truman, Abe Lincoln, George Washington and Gandhi, to list a few. Now, don't misrepresent or misinterpret my intentions, I am by no means comparing Mr. Quintanilla to Gandhi. I'm merely pointing out that these people had no "formal training" and yet they went on to do great things. Mr. Quintanilla has done great things for the City of Mercedes. He'll do great things for MISD, and he'll do it with his head held high. He has earned every opportunity that has come his way and he will without a doubt earn every last penny of his $62K a year job. It's earned and well-deserved. Adelante Mr. Quintanilla.
the queens long lost son

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2009

Judged:

Nothing I read about my hometown lately has brought any sense of pride. I am ashamed to say that town is where I grew up. If not for the fact some members of my family still reside there I'd have no reason to go to the valley. The school district and city hall are a bunch of corrupt individuals. I recall most of them as a child and watching their actions back then and who they pretend to be now. Some of you have forgotten where you come from and who you are suppose to be the VOICE for. Most of you used to work in the fields with my family. At what point did you lose your sense of pride? Churchill...don't even get me started on him...that man has lost all my respect. Common sense is great and you're right that experience can be substituted for formal education however the problem here is he used his position and contacts he made while in office to gain an inside track on obtaining this position.
JOSEPH

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2009

Mayor Quintanilla Come on thats the biggest joke ever. Every decision this man has made are laughable and irresponsible not to mention synical. He should look into reports and outcrys of misappropriation of funds by some city officials, possible thefts involving irrigation or construction pipes, QUESTIONABLE conduct by Mercedes police officers and their laughing stock of a so called Chief of police.
78570rgv

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2010

attitude reflects leadership
i totally agree with joseph, cops need a new leader to better suit officers needs. its sad to have seen some potential officers who I KNOW WOULD HAVE MADE A DRASTIC CHANGE IN COMMUNITY POLICING.
but what i really truly believe should happen is that Olga take some classes in ethics.
maybe then she could stop being 2-faced.
city leaders really need to wake up and own up to their titles.
some people are taking "queen" city of the valley too literally.

Since: Jan 10

Delhi, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2010

Hey people really glad to read all these views of you people about Merc and its really a nice feedback for us to know what people think.
THANK YOU

[url=http://www.mercedesbenzwh eel.com]Mercedes Headlights[/url]
enough said

Pharr, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 8, 2012

CROOKS! Family that works together steal together!

http://www.krgv.com/news/got-guardrails-hidal...
enough said

Pharr, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 8, 2012

http://www.krgv.com/news/got-guardrails-hidal...
you just ate your words
Further North wrote:
It's appalling to see grown men act like little kids. Being a Mercedes native, I'm well aware of all the great things Mr. Quintanilla has done for this city. And because I have eyes and ears and simply from osmosis, I'm also aware how accomplished he is in his personal business. And he's done it all without a degree. But there's one thing he has plenty of, and that is sense. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, believe it or not a lot of "uneducated" people actually have common sense. Through time, he's also gained experience. Imagine that, common sense and experience. Corporations, as well as state and government agencies, at any given time accept years of experience for required or preferred degrees. Why should this be any different?
Leaders are born, not made. Mr. Quintanilla is a self-actualized leader. He's intelligent, confident, articulate, hard-working, not to mention honest! I could go on, but I'll spare all the bloggers. Dare I say Mr. Quintanilla joins the ranks of many accomplished, important professionals who don't have a degree, such as: Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Michael Dell, Rush Limbaugh, Ted Turner, Barry Goldwater, Peter Jennings, Harry Truman, Abe Lincoln, George Washington and Gandhi, to list a few. Now, don't misrepresent or misinterpret my intentions, I am by no means comparing Mr. Quintanilla to Gandhi. I'm merely pointing out that these people had no "formal training" and yet they went on to do great things. Mr. Quintanilla has done great things for the City of Mercedes. He'll do great things for MISD, and he'll do it with his head held high. He has earned every opportunity that has come his way and he will without a doubt earn every last penny of his $62K a year job. It's earned and well-deserved. Adelante Mr. Quintanilla.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 11 of11
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Mercedes Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Mercedes People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••