Review: Pocket 8's Sushi & Grill

Posted in the Merced Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
John D

Clovis, CA

#1 Sep 5, 2009
Horrible food and extremely high prices.
Mike S

Clovis, CA

#2 Sep 5, 2009
Small portions, high prices, extremely long waits
Becky

Modesto, CA

#3 Sep 10, 2009
long wait but they will work out the kinks... its a brand new restaurant give it a month or 2.
Kim

United States

#4 Sep 11, 2009
Long wait, horrible food, overpriced and overrated. first and last time.
jon

Laton, CA

#5 Sep 15, 2009
food is great but the customer service sucks and so is the hostess...hostess and waitress gotta go and get some customer friendly ones
big

Redmond, WA

#6 Sep 15, 2009
They have the best fried rice in town
Absolutely AWSOME

Merced, CA

#7 Sep 16, 2009
This one hits the jackpot of all the places I've had so far in Merced. Food prices were decent and affordable, the rolls sizes were great and in good number. Amazing chef's cook for you in front of you, nice show and hilarious. I have to say, it's alot better then getting ripped off at Sushi Cuisine and Kings. Note, I'm from the coast so I know what good pricing and quality is as well.

I also got to meet the manager of the store, he's really nice person to talk to as well and a good guy. Do note that some of this is leaning on the fancy side, but it's affordable in a sense of terms and comparing to upper fancy. Definitely worth the price, food, and service. So on the other note: I dunno why people are giving crap about this place when it is good in quality, food, and service?
Absolutely AWSOME

Merced, CA

#8 Sep 16, 2009
I don't know why people have given bad reviews within a short time this place just opened? Food prices were decent and affordable, the rolls sizes were great and in good number. Amazing chef's cook for you in front of you, nice show. I have to say, it's alot better then getting ripped off at Sushi Cuisine and Kings.

I also got to meet the manager of the store, he's really nice person to talk to as well and a good guy. Do note that some of this is leaning on the fancy side, but it's affordable in a sense of terms and comparing to upper fancy. Definitely worth the price, food, and service.

Seriously give it some time, it's a new place and stop giving it a bad time. I come from the coast and have been searching for a decent place for sushi here, yes, I finally can put this place in my list of good places to always go to.
Jon

Baltimore, MD

#9 Sep 18, 2009
Great Food. If you cant afford to eat out then stay home. Prices were fine.
A+ All Around
Lori

Riverdale, CA

#10 Sep 20, 2009
My family and I used to always have to drive to Fresno for sushi which was always tiring but then Pocket's 8 finally open I was excited. The first time I went there, I left a bit dissatisfied. The sushi there was great, prices were reasonable (not as expensive as I thought it would be), but the service there was horrible. Since they noted that the servers there are still in training, I figure I'll go back there and try it again.

I recently went back to give the restaurant another try hoping they improved on the service. Once again, I left very disappointed. The service was still horrible. The host seem like she didn't know what she was doing and I was never checked on. It took forever for someone to come ask for our drinks and we never got any refills. Basically no waitresses even checked up on us.

I guess I won't be going back to this restaurant. I rather drive an hour to Fresno knowing I'll leave a happy customer.
Regular Joe

Sacramento, CA

#11 Sep 20, 2009
Nice atmosphere if your coming with a hugh party. the sushi was pretty good and the prices are not bad since they do have some extoic meat such as alligator and ostrich. the biggest thing that stands out about this buiness is that their hostess and their customer service sucks period. when i said suck, i mean no "hello", no "how are you doing" no nothing. i mean what the hell is wrong with jerry yang. Does he not know that customer service is one of the most important things to people who are paying for their food. hopefully jerry will see and understand that their service sucks.
Macy

Clements, CA

#12 Sep 21, 2009
Great food and great service
Jdoe

Clovis, CA

#13 Sep 23, 2009
Jon wrote:
Great Food. If you cant afford to eat out then stay home. Prices were fine.
A+ All Around
you fail to see the real point....

The prices are very high for the quality of the food. Honestly the food just sucks and they charge too much for it
Jdoe

Clovis, CA

#14 Sep 23, 2009
There are fundamental flaws with their structure and there dishes.

Time isnt going to fix it. Large changes might
tracy

United States

#15 Sep 24, 2009
need a lot of improvements. customer satisfactions sucks!!
Vicci

Ripon, CA

#16 Sep 29, 2009
I'm not sure what some of these people are talking about. I went there opening night and everyone was so friendly and personable. The servers were very nice all of them were smiling and checking on me (even the ones not assigned to me). The owner, Jerry Yang, was extremely nice and conscientious. He checked on me several times to make sure I was taken care of. The hostess was nice to me, too. I am extremely picky about customer service (since I attended a customer service academy myself) and this place was perfect as far as that goes. The food prices were reasonable. The fried rice needs to improve, but everything else was good. Come on people, give this place a chance. Are you trying to drive every restaurant out of Merced? Let's be more open and hospitable to businesses trying to stimulate Merced's economy.
Jeff

United States

#17 Sep 29, 2009
From my one experience at this restaurant, I found the atmosphere and customer service to be great. The owner himself came to our table to see how we were doing. Of course, sushi is always a little on the expensive side, but their prices are comparable to other sushi joints. I would recommend this restaurant to anybody who likes sushi and/or teppanyaki.
Jeff

United States

#18 Sep 29, 2009
Jdoe wrote:
<quoted text>
you fail to see the real point....
The prices are very high for the quality of the food. Honestly the food just sucks and they charge too much for it
Sushi is expensive anywhere you go. The real point is to say how good the rolls are, not how expensive it is.
marisa

Arvin, CA

#19 Oct 2, 2009
The food is good but ..the services sucks
Miranda

Arvin, CA

#20 Oct 2, 2009
The food is delicious but the survice sucks .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Merced Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Calaveras, Stanislaus Partner On Groundwater St... Thu Art Roberts 1
Dear Tonnisha Carlson Aug 9 Father 3
"Not the Stan" Aug 1 Psssssst 2
first step to recovery (Aug '16) Jul 24 Daddy-Bubbaluba 15
Does anyone know of a Elney McCain/Cardwell/Fre... Jul '17 Anonymous 1
love you... (Apr '15) Jul '17 Steven Inconjucti... 157
Kelley H (May '14) Jul '17 w0l25T209 2

Merced Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance