Painesville's own "Love Canal"

Painesville's own "Love Canal"

Posted in the Mentor Forum

Hal

United States

#1 Jan 30, 2006
So, would you want to live on top of one of the most poluted areas of the United States? That is what the people who are trying to promote the former utilized site of the Diamond Alkali are trying to do - get naive folks from outside the area to come live and raise families on top of a hazardous waste site. Do a google search for FUSRAP and see what you find. Can you believe they even want to raise grapes (for human consumption) in the old green Diamond "soup pond"?
Alan

Herndon, VA

#2 Mar 2, 2006
If anyone knows this area, they would NEVER want to move there or raise a family there. Can you imagine the stuff that was dumped there over the years? How dare they lie to people and try to sell them on living there!
Joe

Westlake, OH

#3 Jun 2, 2007
Alan wrote:
If anyone knows this area, they would NEVER want to move there or raise a family there. Can you imagine the stuff that was dumped there over the years? How dare they lie to people and try to sell them on living there!
I moved to this area 5 years ago......if only I had known. Everyone has been sick on and off, since we moved here, and no one can tell us what is wrong. We are in Fairport; which is right next to where the Diamond Alkalai was. The water supply is taken from the mouth of the river that flows through the old Alkalai site. But, the people that run this place act like it's the best place anywhere. The taxes are so high, you would think you are living in a luxury area. And, the way this place is run, it makes nazi's look like girl scouts.

Moving here was one of the worst mistakes of our lives.

Joe E.
Born and Rasied

San Jose, CA

#4 Jun 4, 2007
Hal wrote:
So, would you want to live on top of one of the most poluted areas of the United States? That is what the people who are trying to promote the former utilized site of the Diamond Alkali are trying to do - get naive folks from outside the area to come live and raise families on top of a hazardous waste site. Do a google search for FUSRAP and see what you find. Can you believe they even want to raise grapes (for human consumption) in the old green Diamond "soup pond"?
I grew up there. My grandfather worked there, everyone's father or grandfather did. Most have died from stomach cancer or stroke. I vividly remember the soup pond. My mother remembers other's that were covered up. They ended up builing the kids baseball fields on it on East street. Guess what? Kids got sick. I don't even know if they are still there. I remember seeing the article a long time ago about wanting to build on that land. I couldn't believe it. I thought there were laws about toxic clean up? I live near Golden, CO now, and we have the Rocky Flats nuclear waste fiasco and they've been trying for years to get approval and can't, thank God.
Alan

Boca Raton, FL

#5 Aug 13, 2007
What's the status on this mess?
sara

United States

#6 Feb 7, 2013
I got sick.I had mass amts of dioxin,, pcp, and more, very high in my blood and plasma serum. I am still unrecovered. Never live there.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mentor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jackie Mazza/Carroll/Kidd Apr 30 Ex friend 3
Ann Edgington (Jun '09) Apr 25 flaguy 4
What is being built in the Great Lakes Mall par... Apr 18 hoopla 1
News Border Patrol Refused Detainer for Illegal Alie... Apr 13 HOLLA ISABELLA 4
Dustin Wilkinson come out of the closet (Oct '14) Mar '16 Mark 3
News Salt is leaking into marsh (Jul '07) Jan '16 fuckstick 3
i eat my own poo (Jun '11) Dec '15 Giraffe Lover 20
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Mentor Mortgages