Ice from plane crashes through roof o...

Ice from plane crashes through roof of Menomonie-area couple

There are 22 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Sep 30, 2010, titled Ice from plane crashes through roof of Menomonie-area couple. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Dave and Eda Samdahl were just sitting down to lunch with their granddaughter and a friend Tuesday when they received an unexpected visitor.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
wtf

San Francisco, CA

#1 Sep 30, 2010
I'd rather have it be a chunk of ice than an airplane part.
Stifler

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Sep 30, 2010
Uuum are you sure it's ice?
O Boy

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Sep 30, 2010
Thankfully nobody was hurt and hopefully their insurance company doesn't weasel their way out of paying for it!
Patrick S

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Sep 30, 2010
That would suck and glad everyone is ok, but I highly doubt that the insurance company is going to cover this and or any airplane company will cover it either.

It would of been better if it was a plane part that fell through the roof because at least then you can go after the company and get your house repaired and some extra money to boot. But with ice both the airplane companies and the insurance companies can say that it was mother nature and that they have no reason to pay out for it because of a freak accident. Got to love insurance companies and their fine detail to what they cover under mother natures accidents.
Purdy Smart Dere

Minneapolis, MN

#5 Sep 30, 2010
If it's worth their insurance company's time, they may file a claim with the airline. Just my guess. Suck to get one on the head. Let's hope it doesn't, as then we'd have to ban air travel.
Wade Gustafson

Saint Paul, MN

#6 Sep 30, 2010
Stifler wrote:
Uuum are you sure it's ice?
If it were from the waste system it would be blue.
Rosie ODonnell

Saint Paul, MN

#7 Sep 30, 2010
Purdy Smart Dere wrote:
If it's worth their insurance company's time, they may file a claim with the airline. Just my guess. Suck to get one on the head. Let's hope it doesn't, as then we'd have to ban air travel.
Heck, my issurance company just replaced my entire roof because of ice damage. Of course they'll cover this.
norton

United States

#8 Sep 30, 2010
I think they should ban airplanes. Seems like a dangerous weapon. Opps that only applies to guns
PP pong pa

Saint Paul, MN

#9 Sep 30, 2010
Global warming.
Reg and the PFJ

Hopkins, MN

#10 Sep 30, 2010
"...caused by a water leak?" Seriously, this would have to be the rarest and most dangerous reason for icing ever. Airframe icing has been a part of aviation since the late 1920s, when aircraft could climb and cruise in weather conductive to icing.(I'll spare the scientific details; non-pilots can Google it and learn some fun-n-scary flyin' facts.) To this day you can see turboprops at MSP taxi in with about 8" of ice hanging off of their prop spinners.
It happens, it's nature, and the PP may have wanted to mention that.(Plus, fall and spring are the most notorious times for icing...)
WHO what when

Sandstone, MN

#11 Sep 30, 2010
Holy ice-melt
PP pong pa

Saint Paul, MN

#12 Sep 30, 2010
Purdy Smart Dere wrote:
If it's worth their insurance company's time, they may file a claim with the airline. Just my guess. Suck to get one on the head. Let's hope it doesn't, as then we'd have to ban air travel.
The plane was 30,000 ft high, what airline can you go after?
Bob

Hastings, MN

#13 Sep 30, 2010
It's a turd-sicle.
Bob

Hastings, MN

#14 Sep 30, 2010
Patrick S wrote:
That would suck and glad everyone is ok, but I highly doubt that the insurance company is going to cover this and or any airplane company will cover it either.
It would of been better if it was a plane part that fell through the roof because at least then you can go after the company and get your house repaired and some extra money to boot. But with ice both the airplane companies and the insurance companies can say that it was mother nature and that they have no reason to pay out for it because of a freak accident. Got to love insurance companies and their fine detail to what they cover under mother natures accidents.
You must not own a home then Einstein. Yes they will cover this and they also do cover damage from mother nature as you mentioned, hail damage ring a bell?
Not So Funny

Minneapolis, MN

#15 Sep 30, 2010
The ice could easily have killed one or more of them.
Not So Funny

Minneapolis, MN

#16 Sep 30, 2010
wtf wrote:
I'd rather have it be a chunk of ice than an airplane part.
Either one could kill a person!

“HHhhhoooowwwlll”

Since: Feb 08

Craigville

#17 Sep 30, 2010
PP pong pa wrote:
<quoted text>
The plane was 30,000 ft high, what airline can you go after?
Based on the location and time, they may be able to pinpoint the very plane.
adamh2o

Saint Paul, MN

#18 Sep 30, 2010
"Dave Samdahl said the ice broke through the roof at about 1:05 p.m. from an airplane flying west."

How on earth would he know which direction the plane was traveling if they were inside having lunch at the time?
Lenny

Minneapolis, MN

#20 Sep 30, 2010
adamh2o wrote:
"Dave Samdahl said the ice broke through the roof at about 1:05 p.m. from an airplane flying west."
How on earth would he know which direction the plane was traveling if they were inside having lunch at the time?
Any accident reconstructionist can look at the damage from a dropped object and tell you tell you the velocity and direction traveled whence the object was dropped. It's physics. They teach it in schools.
Wade Gustafson

Saint Paul, MN

#21 Sep 30, 2010
adamh2o wrote:
"Dave Samdahl said the ice broke through the roof at about 1:05 p.m. from an airplane flying west."
How on earth would he know which direction the plane was traveling if they were inside having lunch at the time?
I would guess they went outside to look up into the sky to see where the ice came from and saw the contrail and plane heading west.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Menomonie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ted Cruz Revealed, Watch Video, then Vote Apr 4 Vote For Trump 1
Cruz & Kasich Plan Huge Cuts to S.S. & Medicare Mar '16 Vote For Trump 1
Ted Cruz Sex Scandal Confirmed by Washington Times Mar '16 Vote For Trump 1
Koch Brothers' Libertarians Hate Trump Mar '16 so you know 1
News Man accused of trying to meet underage girl for... (Nov '11) Nov '15 Ruppert 3
Election Who do you support for State Senate in Wisconsi... (Oct '10) Jul '15 Wondering 13
Election Who do you support for State Senate in Wisconsi... (Oct '10) Jul '15 Phil Late ist 12
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Menomonie Mortgages