Blue-green algae sickening residents ...

Blue-green algae sickening residents near two Menomonie, Wis., ...

There are 5 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Sep 18, 2009, titled Blue-green algae sickening residents near two Menomonie, Wis., .... In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Lakefront property would be cherished by most, but for some in Menomonie, Wis., it has become a curse.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

disgusted

La Crosse, WI

#1 Sep 18, 2009
It is not just those two lakes in WI most of your north central lakes are full of it. I have a cabin in Chetek WI and those lakes are so bad I can not use them in late summer because they make me and my family sick. I often wonder if WI DNR really does not care about the natural resourses in WI. Beware before you book your next vacation on or around a WI lake. My property value has dropped so much in the last 3 years beacause of the problem I will loose money if I sell or am able to sell.
power tiger dog child

United States

#2 Sep 18, 2009
I live in menomonie and its a real poopie lake, well more like a swamp.. stinky stinky stinky..
John Benton

United States

#3 Sep 18, 2009
My wife and kids spent two great weeks in July on Lake Tainter in Wisconsin. The water activities were great, especially the fishing. We intend to get back there next year. It sure beats the
Georgia heat and humidity.
Wisconsin Resident

Grantsburg, WI

#4 Sep 19, 2009
We lost our dog this summer who died as a result of consuming blue green algae. Our cabin in on a very clean, deep and spring fed lake in WI. Other than around the shoreline some years, it never turns green. We had never heard of this form of algae prior to this happening to us. This year there was green on the shoreline. Three of our dogs were at the lake, one died within minutes of drinking lake water, two became sick, but are fine. Please know this toxin can be in clean lakes as well.

Since: Apr 08

Twin Cities

#5 Sep 19, 2009
Wisconsin Resident wrote:
We lost our dog this summer who died as a result of consuming blue green algae. Our cabin in on a very clean, deep and spring fed lake in WI. Other than around the shoreline some years, it never turns green. We had never heard of this form of algae prior to this happening to us. This year there was green on the shoreline. Three of our dogs were at the lake, one died within minutes of drinking lake water, two became sick, but are fine. Please know this toxin can be in clean lakes as well.
Thank you for the warning, and I'm so sorry about your dog. We try to protect our critters from the dangers we know about; this is one danger I wouldn't have ever thought of.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Menomonie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Looking for Story Paige Taylor East May 24 Damaneast1973 1
Cruz & Kasich Plan Huge Cuts to S.S. & Medicare (Mar '16) Mar '16 Vote For Trump 1
Ted Cruz Sex Scandal Confirmed by Washington Times (Mar '16) Mar '16 Vote For Trump 1
Koch Brothers' Libertarians Hate Trump (Mar '16) Mar '16 so you know 1
News Man accused of trying to meet underage girl for... (Nov '11) Nov '15 Ruppert 3
Election Who do you support for State Senate in Wisconsi... (Oct '10) Jul '15 Wondering 13
Election Who do you support for State Senate in Wisconsi... (Oct '10) Jul '15 Phil Late ist 12

Menomonie Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Menomonie Mortgages