MPS Layoffs: Laid off Milwaukee teach...

MPS Layoffs: Laid off Milwaukee teachers having hard time finding n...

There are 14 comments on the Fox6 story from Jun 16, 2010, titled MPS Layoffs: Laid off Milwaukee teachers having hard time finding n.... In it, Fox6 reports that:

It's hard looking for work, and that's what hundreds of Milwaukee Public School teachers now have to go through.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fox6.

Pack2u

Menomonee Falls, WI

#1 Jun 16, 2010
That how the MPS wanted it.
Igor

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#2 Jun 16, 2010
Sorry, I have no sympathy for the teachers. You are well paid but grossly over benefited. Now we can't afford you. On the other hand, if your stubborn union would accept a reduction in benefits and if you made a contribution to your health and retirment like the rest of the world, the taxpayer could keep you on.
cnw95

Milwaukee, WI

#3 Jun 16, 2010
Are we getting the complete story.

This story says 600 SUBSTITUTE teachers are being laid off.

It sounds to me that subs make up the overwhelming majority of the teachers being laid off.

Now that's not good but if the subs are the only ones being laid off, why didn't this come out in the earlier stories about the lay offs?
Dave

Sussex, WI

#4 Jun 17, 2010
Boohooo, Bunch of cry babies. Its time the teachers get there heads out of the sand and join the real world.
Poor Teachers

Berlin, WI

#5 Jun 17, 2010
I've been Unemployed for 20 Months! There isn't a job insight that would pay me 1/2 of my 2006, 2007 or 2008 Salary. I'm in Engineering.

The Engineering Industry hasnt received any Government Bail outs! Why should the Teachers , Firemen and Police Officers get additional Bailouts?

WThe Benifits alone for these Protected Class of People is unheard of in the Private Sector! Come on Get real Suck it up and take your turn! I have to Pay Taxes (Income and Real Estate, medical Insurance, buy my own food, pay my mortgage and home owners insurance.

Heck I could be in Prison, where its all Free!
PR and Proud

Milwaukee, WI

#6 Jun 17, 2010
Teaching, Firefighting and Policing are all civil services. Milwaukee is recruiting police while putting teachers our of work. Nice message to the people of this city.

First, we stop the physical education = lazy, overweight kids.

Second, we stop the arts = under educated, uncultured kids.

Now, we'll just cram more of them into a classroom and hope for the best.

Hey! Let's open another "last chance" school while we're expanding our police force!!
Angela Adrian

Germantown, WI

#7 Jun 17, 2010
I would just like to say that this desision about what our communitie has done to our teachers are wrong. The young teachers would have brought life to our schools and as a mother of a 3yrs and will be attending school next year i would have loved to see a young and inspiring teacher to teach my son. Just thought i would tell you my opinon!!!
Anonymous

Brookfield, WI

#8 Jun 18, 2010
I'm a former MPS teacher and left the district last year because of the residency requirement(I moved out of Milwaukee). I loved the school I worked at and we were achieving great things. What you are saying about teachers is so unfortunate. I can't believe the negativity towards teachers. I guess you'd rather pay for these children to end up in prison than pay for a quality education. Studies show that every dollar invested in education saves two dollars in prison costs.
I agree that the young teachers bring life to the schools Angela and am sorry to say that those are the ones to go. What frustrates me are the tenured teachers that have become so negative and bitter about the education system and now that affects the children's learning. My new school has all new kindergarten teachers, with 1-3 years experience in teaching, myself being one of them. Our school has a high poverty/high need population and is very similar to any school you'd find in MPS which many see as an excuse, but I see as motivation to succeed. Because our team worked their butts off this year over 90% of our students met their growth targets on our end of the year assessments. In another grade where the team is made up of teachers that have been around for 20 years and spout nothing but negativity..only 45% of students met their growth targets.
I hate teachers unions because they allow this to go on... I wish we could fire the incompetent teachers that no longer have the passion they used to and don't produce results and hire new (and cheaper) teachers, but give bonuses to those that actually produce high achieving students to keep them motivated.

Unfortunately I don't see this happening. Although Obama did make a promise in his campaign:
"Improve K-12 schooling:
We will recruit an army of new teachers and develop innovative ways to reward teachers who are doing a great job" (from his campaign website)

I'd say over 90% is a great job. I'm still waiting on my bonus... And where are all these new teachers you are recruiting? They are getting fired...
older and wiser

Terre Haute, IN

#9 Jun 19, 2010
It certainly is a sad time for ALL teachers! Once again, our society is stereotyping experienced teachers as being unmotivated and bitter. I've worked for over 20 years as an educator in the classroom, and am extremely dedicated to my students. My colleague also has a similar history, and is also dedicated. We may be older and wiser (about the system and how the administration works,and don't agree with certain mandates), but we DO NOT take it out on our students. Our test scores were on target and better this year! Once again, people with experience and age are discriminated against by our so called idolization of the "youth culture." I could tell you stories about a certain new teacher in our building - skipping field trips, sitting on a bench during recess and not interacting with the students, being late for mandatory meetings, and even using foul langauge in front of students, and always wanting to be the center of attention when the students should be the focus. Let's not stereotype all new teachers as better, or all experienced teachers as bitter. We all need to stick together through times like this. Young teachers need mentoring, but I guess nowadays, experience accounts for nothing because we're getting old - and maybe even slightly gray!(Yikes - the dreaded "old" word!)
older and wiser

Terre Haute, IN

#10 Jun 19, 2010
These are tough times for all teachers, young and older! It's also a sad commentary when older, more experienced teachers are stereotyped as being bitter and unmotivated. It's also ridiculous to think that new teachers are better because they seem to be possibly more energetic?! I've been teaching for over 20 years and am still excited about my job, as are the colleagues that I work with with similar experience. I could tell you stories about a new teacher in our building - skipping field trips, ignoring the students on the playground, not planning field trips and mainly wanting to be the center of attention, instead of letting her students receive the attention for their successes. Once again our society is worshipping the youth in our culture, and not benefiting from the older generation's experiences. My class met and exceeded our goals for this year, as did the other older, experienced teacher I worked with. We worked hard and planned numerous educational field trips and learning experiences for our students. We also arrange every year for a lunch time study hall,(we give up our lunch hours to work with the kids! How many new teachers do that??) New teachers need mentoring, but sadly, this is not happening as it should. Older people are continually being looked down on, and not looked up to anymore. All teachers need to work together to make our system better. With prejudicial comments about age, we are just going to turn against each other and fail. That's probably what the higher ups want anyway.
Shelly

Chicago, IL

#11 Jun 23, 2010
Anonymous,

They would probably get a better education in prison and the world would be a lot safer.(Quality Education) are you joking?

“filthy, but genuinely arousing”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#12 Jun 23, 2010
I can see this from both sides. Teachers HAVE been a protected class and a vocal one at that. Perhaps some of the vitrol directed at the profession is due to the fact that for years unionized teachers enjoyed excellent benefits and job security, while complaining about being underpaid, underappreciated and producing underachieving students. Perhaps this is another case of a vocal minority giving false voice to a majority who are not a bunch of whiners. To many people in the private sector, who have been through layoffs, takeovers, only get two weeks vacation etc., teachers appear to have a pretty sweet gig.

That said, good teachers are well worth the cost to the taxpayer and CAN make a difference. However, I know several MPS teachers and have heard horror stories about the people they are letting teach who are protected by the union.

My heart goes out to anyone who has lost their job (if they were doing it competently), best of luck to ANYONE (teacher or not)in your search for employment. Just a tip from my industry, if you've become unemployed and are having trouble making ends meet, contact your mortgage company and request a loan mod--you may be able to lower your interest rate/payment while you wait out the storm.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
k Marshall

Milwaukee, WI

#14 Mar 18, 2014
I think it is messed up that they would lay more teachers off knowing how bad it is in Milwaukee as far as education. I had to take my daughter out of pubic schools. There is to many kids in one room as it is already and the more teachers we lose the more kids there will be in one room. In daycare they have ratios to children so that the children can learn right. Why is it not like that in public schools in Milwaukee.? I am only 34 years old and I have been running daycare for 8yrs and feel like the next generation behind me are the way they are because of the system we live in. I can't offer much to the teachers that are laid off right now but I have just open my first center and any teacher looking for a job can apply. 4144621566
Tim

Milwaukee, WI

#15 Mar 18, 2014
Sorry I have no sympathy for these blood sucking leaches called teachers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Menomonee Falls Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Democrat Emails 22 hr Stinson 1
Shut Sheriff David Clarke Up !! (Sep '15) Tue Tony 15
News Candidates in hot seat during community brainst... Tue Barrett 3
News Bed Sharing: Is sharing a bed with your infant ... (May '10) Tue Jeff 222
News More than 100 cars broken into in single night,... Jul 25 Jerry 4
News 53206 residents question lawmakers during brain... Jul 25 ardeth 1
News Milwaukee police officer injured in line of dut... Jul 20 ardeth 1

Menomonee Falls Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance