Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments
161,261 - 161,280 of 200,573 Comments Last updated 2 hrs ago

Since: Nov 12

Elk Grove, CA

#184705 Mar 26, 2013
endocannabanoid system wrote:
<quoted text>
right!!! in 1860,
the slave owners were like "yeah well give up those slaves"
the south tried to secede because they wanted to remain a slave using republic.
we fought a HUGE CIVIL war over slavery....
i guess they didnt teach that at your school.
Stop calling Lincoln a liar: The war was fought over Southern independence, not over slavery. Lincoln said repeatedly the war was not being fought over slavery. In August 1862, over a year after the war started, Lincoln wrote an open letter to a prominent Republican abolitionist, Horace Greeley, in which he said he did not agree with those who would only “save” the Union if they could destroy slavery at the same time. Lincoln added that if he could “save” the Union without freeing a single slave, he would do so (Letter to Horace Greeley, August 22, 1862, published in the New York Tribune).

I guess they didn't teach you how to spell or history at your school.
endocannabanoid system

Anderson, CA

#184706 Mar 26, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
What is sad is that they have no empathy for their fellow Americans, unless it happens within their own families.
i just read this story in the redding record searchlight.

it is interesting, and i think youd find it funny.

the local tea party has expelled all reporters from tognights "TOWN HALL MEETING" with congressman douglas la malfa.

talk about civil war!

the moderate north state republicans are up in arms on the comment thread(which for some reason i cant access)

they sound like democrats....

and they are rightfully accusing the tea party of slipping so far into nazi land, that they would need to sensor what a public official would have to say to his constituents.

it reminds me of the bachmann campaign or sharon angle(nevade senate candidate in 10) who wouldnt talk AT ALL to mainstream media outlets......

along with all their wars, on every group of people in the country?

not talking to the press, is not a good way to get them to write about your party's candidates, in a constructive way...

the culture wars are ramping up, and the social conservatives are losing the war badly.

they are also losing the sanity battle with themselves.
endocannabanoid system

Anderson, CA

#184707 Mar 26, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
I have been telling them the procreation argument is just a joke, I am glad the court made fun of that dead argument. I am a little surprised they brought it up, it was ripe to be trounced on. But I suppose they really don’t have a lot to work with opposing the appeal.
The key will be Kennedy, who has supported gay rights in the past, particularly in Colorado
However I don’t think it will be that close of a decision, I actually expect Roberts to join them, and possibly others.
6 to 3 would be the safest bet.
A signature

La Puente, CA

#184708 Mar 26, 2013
Don't forget to sign the petition for the investigation of Glendora, California - just like the city of Bell, California.

Did you know that the city manager of Glendora, California (CHRIS JEFFERS) sent his former finance director JOSH BETTS to Bell, California to be there finance director?

Both Chris and Josh have been involved in some pretty nasty and ugly issues while at Glendora, California and other cities they worked at separately
Big D

Modesto, CA

#184709 Mar 26, 2013
endocannabanoid system wrote:
<quoted text>
6 to 3 would be the safest bet.
Sounds about right, I don’t know of course, but that sounds about right to me

It will probably be identical on overturning DOMA
endocannabanoid system

Anderson, CA

#184710 Mar 26, 2013
along those same lines as the redding tea party situation??

a 2nd amendment rights meeting in hayfork ca.

was restricted only to people who would sign a
"2nd amendment rights protection promise"

(they had little arm bands too, just kidding, but they might as well have)

and local reporters were told to go f%%K off.

they appartently are ashamed of their message...

anyone who wanted to broadly enter pro 2nd amendment activism, would try to publicize their cause??

wouldnt they??

their official manifesto sounds very much like Bush's "you either with us or you are against us"

Elk Grove, CA

#184711 Mar 26, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not the one spitting hate, I am warning you about how history, and of how your organizations will be looked upon in the future because of your obvious hatred and un-American values.
If I hated you, I wouldn’t be warning you, I would just let you go down the toilet as you seem to insist on doing.
You are standing on the wrong side of history, and what you are doing and saying are going down in history books for future generations.
I don't belong to any organization that has hatred for gay people. I am not Mormon. I have never seen a history book list names of people that were not for the civil rights of blacks other then a few groups like the kkk. I really could care less on the gay marriage issue, it won't affect me. You liberals seem to have fun saying that line of crap about being on the wrong side of history. LOL.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#184712 Mar 26, 2013
RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>Stop calling Lincoln a liar: The war was fought over Southern independence, not over slavery. Lincoln said repeatedly the war was not being fought over slavery. In August 1862, over a year after the war started, Lincoln wrote an open letter to a prominent Republican abolitionist, Horace Greeley, in which he said he did not agree with those who would only “save” the Union if they could destroy slavery at the same time. Lincoln added that if he could “save” the Union without freeing a single slave, he would do so (Letter to Horace Greeley, August 22, 1862, published in the New York Tribune).
I guess they didn't teach you how to spell or history at your school.
A “Lost Cause” supporter LOL

I didn’t know there were any left alive

The "Lost Cause" was an effort by the south to re-write history, and what the war was actually about, and to vilify and make heroic certain figures.

If you actually knew anything... anything at all about American history, you would know that every cause of the war was linked to slavery.

Economically, politically, in every sense and every cause, slavery was at the bottom of it.

They withdrew from the union because of the fact that with Lincoln as president they would not be able to maintain an equal number of slave states to non-slave states, which would eventually be the end of slavery, so they succeeded from the union

Here you go, this is elementary schools stuff

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origins_of_the_A...
Anonymous

Vallejo, CA

#184713 Mar 26, 2013
Supreme Court hints that it won't issue sweeping ruling on same-sex marriage
http://nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/03/...

In a historic argument on a challenge to state laws that limit marriage to heterosexual couples, the Supreme Court indicated Tuesday that it might be hesitant to strike down such laws.

Following the oral argument, Pete Williams of NBC News reported that it seemed “quite obvious that the U.S. Supreme Court is not prepared to issue any kind of sweeping ruling” declaring that same-sex couples have a constitutional right to marry.

Williams said there seemed to be “very little eagerness” from any of the justices to “embrace that broad a ruling.”
Batsheva de Philadelphia

Sonoma, CA

#184714 Mar 26, 2013
What about having the Olympics in Bell, Ca ( wherever that place is)?
Big D

Modesto, CA

#184715 Mar 26, 2013
Possible outcomes

I suspect it will be one of 4 possible outcomes

#1 Overturn the appeal ( least likely )

#2 Refuse to rule on it, basically kick it back to the state, which would mean the California courts appeal would stand and Prop 8 struck down with no consequences or ramifications to other states ( this may be as likely as anything else ) That is what they did with Gore vs Bush

#3 Narrow ruling supporting the appeal affecting only California

# 4 Broad ruling affecting the entire US ( this is nearly as unlikely as #1 )

Personally #3 is what I have been expecting, however...#2 would be the way to do it causing the least amount of uproar

DOMA will be a whole different story, there is no way that ruling will not affect the entire US
heartandmind

Moline, IL

#184716 Mar 26, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Words describe reality.
For instance, your tirade exposes you as an idiot.
See what I mean?
Marriage can never describe a ss couple. If you call the tail on a dog a leg, what is it?
At it's most basic essence, marriage is a cross cultural constraint on evolutionary mating behavior.
ss couples are a direct, defective contradiction to the singular goal of evolution. Literally 'unmarriage'.
Smile.
i laugh out loud because, well, you're wrong. and the absurdity of your smugness.

marriage is a marriage is a marriage. whether you accept someone else as being married is moot. it's the legal license from the state that makes it a legal reality. whether you accept that reality or not is up to you.
heartandmind

Moline, IL

#184717 Mar 26, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
You are so funny!
If you take out the European add-ons, and specific Churches already included in the American denominations listed, not to mention the Jewish faith, you have a teanie minority that is rarely represented by more than one 'church' in any community of our country.
Why not just list the comparison honey? I know, it's worse then your obvious stretch. I guess when you are trying to convince people to accept an imposter relationship, this is only another step of deceit...
Snicker.
snicker snicker

you're so adorable when you get sassy.

Elk Grove, CA

#184719 Mar 26, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
A “Lost Cause” supporter LOL
I didn’t know there were any left alive
The "Lost Cause" was an effort by the south to re-write history, and what the war was actually about, and to vilify and make heroic certain figures.
If you actually knew anything... anything at all about American history, you would know that every cause of the war was linked to slavery.
Economically, politically, in every sense and every cause, slavery was at the bottom of it.
They withdrew from the union because of the fact that with Lincoln as president they would not be able to maintain an equal number of slave states to non-slave states, which would eventually be the end of slavery, so they succeeded from the union
Here you go, this is elementary schools stuff
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origins_of_the_A...
Did Lincoln say repeatedly the war was not being fought over slavery? yes or no. Do you think after the Civil war blacks and whites were treated equal?

There is the issue with the 13th amendment, on January 11, 1864 the 13th amendment(which would effectively ban slavery) was proposed, in April, 1864 the bill was rejected(that's right REJECTED), so here is the problem, the Union(which apparently according to some people was fighting to end slavery) actually voted down the 1st anti-slavery amendment, and it wasn't until February 1, 1865 when they voted on it again(and this time it passed)
So if they were in fact fighting over slavery, why would they vote down the Amendment that personified their reason for fighting? it was because they weren't fighting over slavery.

Saying Slavery is the cause the civil war is an Oversimplification, basically people try to simplify the causes of the war down to 1 issue, which causes people to ignore all of the other issues, such as State authority over Federal authority(or in other words, States Rights)

While Slavery was an issue during the War, historically speaking, it was one of literally dozens(if not hundreds) of causes for the war. remember that at that time, everyone volunteered to go to war, which meant that all 3+Million people had their own individual reasons to fight, and yes some on both sides did fight for slavery, but some fought solely for States Rights as well

Big D

Modesto, CA

#184720 Mar 26, 2013
RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>I don't belong to any organization that has hatred for gay people. I am not Mormon. I have never seen a history book list names of people that were not for the civil rights of blacks other then a few groups like the kkk. I really could care less on the gay marriage issue, it won't affect me. You liberals seem to have fun saying that line of crap about being on the wrong side of history. LOL.
So you don’t belong to or support any church that had support signs for Prop 8 on their lawns.

I suspect eyeglasses need cleaning

But you personally is not the point, I am saying that support for Prop 8 and other such hateful and discriminatory measures are broadly supported by religious organizations with narrow vision.

History will not look on them kindly

They are already bleeding followers, this really isn’t the time to get this short sighted. If the current trend continues, that churches are basically political organizations, they will continue to recede.

I know people who get phone calls from their churches on election day telling them who to vote for and which way to vote on propositions…. This does not bode well for the future of religion in America
Big D

Modesto, CA

#184721 Mar 26, 2013
RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>Did Lincoln say repeatedly the war was not being fought over slavery? yes or no. Do you think after the Civil war blacks and whites were treated equal?
There is the issue with the 13th amendment, on January 11, 1864 the 13th amendment(which would effectively ban slavery) was proposed, in April, 1864 the bill was rejected(that's right REJECTED), so here is the problem, the Union(which apparently according to some people was fighting to end slavery) actually voted down the 1st anti-slavery amendment, and it wasn't until February 1, 1865 when they voted on it again(and this time it passed)
So if they were in fact fighting over slavery, why would they vote down the Amendment that personified their reason for fighting? it was because they weren't fighting over slavery.
Saying Slavery is the cause the civil war is an Oversimplification, basically people try to simplify the causes of the war down to 1 issue, which causes people to ignore all of the other issues, such as State authority over Federal authority(or in other words, States Rights)
While Slavery was an issue during the War, historically speaking, it was one of literally dozens(if not hundreds) of causes for the war. remember that at that time, everyone volunteered to go to war, which meant that all 3+Million people had their own individual reasons to fight, and yes some on both sides did fight for slavery, but some fought solely for States Rights as well
Your ignorance is amazing

For Lincoln personally it wasn’t, for Lincoln it was for preserving the union, and why was the union split up? Slavery and the continuation of slavery, the war was fought because the south seceded, and why did they secede?

It doesn’t matter which way you look at it, every cause, every reason was tied to slavery

You need to go back to the 5th grade and start over.

I didn’t say that the war was to "free the slaves", I said the institution of slavery and the fear of that institution ending was at the bottom of every reason for the civil war.

If you don’t know that… it is time you go back to elementary school
oakland safe from demons

San Francisco, CA

#184722 Mar 26, 2013
please warn people all bible readers that satans angels are in human form makeing a last stand before they go into the fire........please warn other people and tell neighbors the end is here ...even if you dont believe during the end times the karma will make you sick

Since: Jan 12

Commonwealth of Pennsylvania

#184723 Mar 26, 2013
Big D wrote:
# 4 Broad ruling affecting the entire US ( this is nearly as unlikely as #1 )
What do you mean unlikely? Last time I checked there was something called the 14th amendment on the USA! Why the hell should I be denied equal marriage rights because I live in Pennsylvania? You know the Supreme Court ruled in 1967 that STATE bans on interracial marriage was unconstitutional. Marriage is a fundamental right!

Elk Grove, CA

#184724 Mar 26, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
So you don’t belong to or support any church that had support signs for Prop 8 on their lawns.
I suspect eyeglasses need cleaning
But you personally is not the point, I am saying that support for Prop 8 and other such hateful and discriminatory measures are broadly supported by religious organizations with narrow vision.
History will not look on them kindly
They are already bleeding followers, this really isn’t the time to get this short sighted. If the current trend continues, that churches are basically political organizations, they will continue to recede.
I know people who get phone calls from their churches on election day telling them who to vote for and which way to vote on propositions…. This does not bode well for the future of religion in America
Not every Church is westboro. lol....I get phone calls from a lot of organizations, big deal?

Elk Grove, CA

#184725 Mar 26, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Your ignorance is amazing
For Lincoln personally it wasn’t, for Lincoln it was for preserving the union, and why was the union split up? Slavery and the continuation of slavery, the war was fought because the south seceded, and why did they secede?
It doesn’t matter which way you look at it, every cause, every reason was tied to slavery
You need to go back to the 5th grade and start over.
I didn’t say that the war was to "free the slaves", I said the institution of slavery and the fear of that institution ending was at the bottom of every reason for the civil war.
If you don’t know that… it is time you go back to elementary school
It wasn't 1 issue: Your ignorance is amazing You need to go back to the 5th grade and start over. All the men fighting were not fighting over freeing John Brown.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Menifee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Re-Elect Tom Fuhrman Menifee City Council 4 hr Quail Valley Resi... 8
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 7 hr air mail 7,924
Mann Has a Plan -- Not Only for Menifee, but th... 22 hr teacher951 1
Sun City: NAACP denied meeting spot (Oct '12) 22 hr teacher951 7
Many Sonic Booms or Earthquakes Felt in Menifee? (Jan '10) Aug 26 TawshaRose 27
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) Aug 26 matches lighters 15,961
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) Aug 24 Mono 4,996
•••

Menifee News Video

•••
•••

Menifee Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Menifee People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••