Mendota stealing a little thunder fro...

Mendota stealing a little thunder from Wild Bill Hickok's birth...

There are 17 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Oct 18, 2008, titled Mendota stealing a little thunder from Wild Bill Hickok's birth.... In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Wild Bill Hickok, perhaps the most legendary figure of the Old West, has been immortalized in dozens of movies and TV shows.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

Since: Aug 08

Chicago IL

#1 Oct 18, 2008
For about ten bucks you can catch an Amtrak train to Mendota and join in the celebration. For another tenner you can even roll your bike on board and have transportation in town.

A couple of trains each day, so you can make a day trip out of it.
Ed O

United States

#2 Oct 18, 2008
Hey Troy Grove,lets go kick some Mendota butt's!
Dont vote for B.O.
matt

Chicago, IL

#3 Oct 18, 2008
We go there a lot too. Beautiful mix of corn, soybeans, stately older homes and modern wind power. Plus a really good Chinese buffet in town as well.
Kazabud1

United States

#4 Oct 18, 2008
He was a womanizer,a drunk,a murderer,and a liar. Why not just put up a statue of Bill Clinton, or Ted Kennedy?
Tattoo Rosie

Olive Branch, MS

#5 Oct 18, 2008
I grew up in DePue, very near Troy Grove. The peace of being out in "the country" is greatly missed. And lots of little quaint historical places in the general area.
GAHickok

Peru, IL

#6 Oct 18, 2008
Kazabud1 wrote:
He was a womanizer,a drunk,a murderer,and a liar. Why not just put up a statue of Bill Clinton, or Ted Kennedy?
You are a jackass and a punk mister. I will be glad to have a personal discussion with your sorry ass about it.
Rob

Skokie, IL

#7 Oct 18, 2008
Sounds like Troy Grove is pissed!
Jean

Chicago, IL

#8 Oct 18, 2008
Sweet Old Bob wrote:
For about ten bucks you can catch an Amtrak train to Mendota and join in the celebration. For another tenner you can even roll your bike on board and have transportation in town.
A couple of trains each day, so you can make a day trip out of it.
Why take Amtrak? You can fly there and land in Grandpa's Farm Airport.
Michigan Bears Fan

United States

#9 Oct 19, 2008
Jean wrote:
<quoted text>
Why take Amtrak? You can fly there and land in Grandpa's Farm Airport.

Don't snicker about Granpa's farm airport. I had an Uncle who farmed in Mendota, flew his own crop duster and had a nice little farm airport. Nice farm, good memories, great sweet corn festival every year in Mendota. Being born and raised in Chicago it was interesting to see something besides concrete.
GleN

Joliet, IL

#10 Oct 19, 2008
Kazabud1 wrote:
Or Dubya?...or any of Dubya's Cronies?
Jean

Chicago, IL

#11 Oct 19, 2008
Michigan Bears Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't snicker about Granpa's farm airport. I had an Uncle who farmed in Mendota, flew his own crop duster and had a nice little farm airport. Nice farm, good memories, great sweet corn festival every year in Mendota. Being born and raised in Chicago it was interesting to see something besides concrete.
I'm sorry you misunderstood! I was plugging it! I saw it on a map & stopped by on a trip. Very cool place! Do I understand Grandpa was actually your uncle? Small world!
Michigan Bears Fan

United States

#12 Oct 20, 2008
Jean wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry you misunderstood! I was plugging it! I saw it on a map & stopped by on a trip. Very cool place! Do I understand Grandpa was actually your uncle? Small world!
no offense taken. there was probably more than one farmer/pilot in the area, but one never knows. it was a long time ago.
Jean Hickok-Haley

Palmdale, CA

#13 Nov 30, 2008
If you would bother to educate yourself sir, you would find Wild Bill was not the things you suggest. Perhaps you have read too many comic books. However, I do agree with your assement of Clinton and Kennedy..

Relative, and proud of it!
Jean Hickok-Haley
Frank

Chesterfield, MO

#14 Feb 6, 2009
Hay Jean, I grew up near Troy Grove and camped out next to that rock before.Early 70s
Gary B

Palatine, IL

#15 Apr 8, 2009
I grew up in Troy Grove and still work there today. I used to mow Ethel Hickoks grass when I was alot younger.I still remember her house even after watching it being burnt down.
Kilroy of Mendota

Spring Valley, IL

#16 Jun 2, 2009
Troy Grove ( Homer Il.) has the right to be proud. I'm sure the citizens of Mendota didn't mean to steal any
thing from them. Only honoring the man. I don't understand why we could not of had a statue of a Mendota real hero, We had three medal of honor recipients from Mendota. Why weren't they honored?
Jean Hickok Haley

Palmdale, CA

#17 Jul 31, 2011
Kazabud1 wrote:
If you read the "real history" of Wild Bill, you will find he was none of the things you mentioned. So many people go by stories. Sad!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mendota Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
When is the next Town Wide Earlville garage sales? (Mar '06) Jul 30 pammypanda3362 9
buy drugs (Nov '13) Feb '16 Marsred 5
News Man charged in Bureau County Court (Jan '16) Jan '16 lowkey1211 1
connie olivero (Nov '14) Nov '15 Wiccagovtoneonone 4
runescape (Feb '08) Aug '15 James 4
Earlville man charged with selling cocaine to p... (Jun '15) Jun '15 Deborah goellner 1
News Shirley Pizzamiglio (Nov '14) Nov '14 Carol 2

Mendota Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Mendota Mortgages