Gayle Caldwell - Mendocino Beacon

Gayle Caldwell died Tuesday, April 14, 2009 at her home in Fort bragg. Born on Feb. Read more
Rosemary LEsprit

Darien, CT

#1 Apr 24, 2009
Gayle was a bright light in our lives and so many others. She accompanied Patricia in concert, coached both of us in singing, and spent many hours with us in lively conversation. Gayle was brilliant as an artist, writer, performer. Her sensitivity and early fame (at 19 with the New Christy Minstrels) combined to make her road hard at times. The songs on her seminal work, the CD "All Is One", demonstrate her talent, insights, pain, and joy. Our hearts are heavy, but full of love and gratitude for the privilege of communing with Gayle Caldwell for the nine years we were in Mendocino. Patricia & Rosemary
Dino Nicolosi

Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

#2 Jun 16, 2009
Rosemary LEsprit wrote:
Gayle was a bright light in our lives and so many others. She accompanied Patricia in concert, coached both of us in singing, and spent many hours with us in lively conversation. Gayle was brilliant as an artist, writer, performer. Her sensitivity and early fame (at 19 with the New Christy Minstrels) combined to make her road hard at times. The songs on her seminal work, the CD "All Is One", demonstrate her talent, insights, pain, and joy. Our hearts are heavy, but full of love and gratitude for the privilege of communing with Gayle Caldwell for the nine years we were in Mendocino. Patricia & Rosemary
Could you please contact me? dnico46712@aol.com

Gayle had left master tapes the estate with me, when she left Los Angeles.

Publisher
Carole Freeman

United States

#3 Jun 17, 2009
Dear Rosemaray, Thank you for your insightful and supportive words about Gayle. It helps to hear these kinds of comments. I will share your post with Gayle's daughter Michelle and grandson Dara.

sister
Carole
Rosemary LEsprit wrote:
Marilyn Helland Bentley

Fairfield, CT

#4 Jun 17, 2009
Dear Carole,

I don't know if you remember me but we had a few nice conversations in High School. I never forgot you and always thought you were an especially nice person.

I am so sorry to hear about Gayle. I admired her singing and personality. In fact, she sang "How Are Things in Glocca Mora" from Finian's Rainbow in a High School assembly and it inspired me. A couple of years later, I sang the same song because I was inspired by Gayle singing it.

My prayers and love go out to you and your family.

Marilyn (Helland) Bentley
Barb Eaton

United States

#5 Dec 2, 2009
Why wasn't more information provided nationally about Gayle's passing? From what little information I can find, she was an outstanding songwriter. I was not able to locate her obituary on Legacy.com even. I learned of her passing from reseaching the original members of the NCM. My sister treated me to a New Christy Ministrel concert at Indiana University. They were all the original members and I remember Gayle and Jackie as they were the only two females in the group and their voices were rich and clear--outstanding. I have the Original Christy Ministrel's albums on CD. Wish someone would write a book on Gayle's life.

“http://obbop.wor dpress.com/”

Since: Oct 08

Fight the feds for freedom

#6 Feb 11, 2012
She will be missed.

The lyrics of Cycles made a lasting impression upon me; from when I first heard the ballad in my pre-teen years to today.
Carole Geddes Freeman

Grass Valley, CA

#7 Feb 11, 2012
Marilyn Helland Bentley wrote:
Dear Carole,
I don't know if you remember me but we had a few nice conversations in High School. I never forgot you and always thought you were an especially nice person.
I am so sorry to hear about Gayle. I admired her singing and personality. In fact, she sang "How Are Things in Glocca Mora" from Finian's Rainbow in a High School assembly and it inspired me. A couple of years later, I sang the same song because I was inspired by Gayle singing it.
My prayers and love go out to you and your family.
Marilyn (Helland) Bentley
Hello Marilyn, Yes, I do remember you and apologize for not responding earlier. Somehow no notification came through at the time.(My attention was called to this site today because of another post.) Like you, I was inspired by Gayle's singing and remember her in Finian's Rainbow. I miss the sound of her voice and the beauty she created on the piano. Her last CD All IS One was published shortly before her death; it is painful to know that her songs have all been written. She leaves many gifts behind including the inspiration which you spoke of. I hope music is still part of your life, and that you are well.
Carole Geddes Freeman

Grass Valley, CA

#8 Feb 11, 2012
Barb Eaton wrote:
Why wasn't more information provided nationally about Gayle's passing? From what little information I can find, she was an outstanding songwriter. I was not able to locate her obituary on Legacy.com even. I learned of her passing from reseaching the original members of the NCM. My sister treated me to a New Christy Ministrel concert at Indiana University. They were all the original members and I remember Gayle and Jackie as they were the only two females in the group and their voices were rich and clear--outstanding. I have the Original Christy Ministrel's albums on CD. Wish someone would write a book on Gayle's life.
You pose a good question. I agree that Gayle was an outstanding musician and songwriter, and her contributions are still being enjoyed around the world. Additionally, there are still some unpublished works (many in Spanish language) to be brought forward. At the time of her death, I must admit to feeling so bereft that all I could do was notify the family and a few of her close friends including some of the "Christies." I have no knowledge of the music business (don't even know what Legacy.com is), but wonder if I should have been more proactive with the news media. I assumed, wrongly, that someone from the NCM would step forward. My decades of living with and near her cause me to agree that a book or film about her life would indeed be fascinating. Thank you for your comments.
Carole Geddes Freeman

Grass Valley, CA

#9 Feb 11, 2012
Obbop wrote:
She will be missed.
The lyrics of Cycles made a lasting impression upon me; from when I first heard the ballad in my pre-teen years to today.
I appreciate that you took the time to post your thoughts. With Gayle's birthday coming up in 9 days, she has been increasingly on my mind and in my heart. Cycles and other favorites such as Stay, and Wandering, are still being enhoyed worldwide.(Some of her music can be heard in films such as Next Stop, Wonderland.) Just before her death, she published All Is One, but she did not have time to promote and distribute it. Her musical "observations" about life always amazed and moved me.
Carole Geddes Freeman

Grass Valley, CA

#10 Feb 11, 2012
Carole Geddes Freeman wrote:
<quoted text>
You pose a good question. I agree that Gayle was an outstanding musician and songwriter, and her contributions are still being enjoyed around the world. Additionally, there are still some unpublished works (many in Spanish language) to be brought forward. At the time of her death, I must admit to feeling so bereft that all I could do was notify the family and a few of her close friends including some of the "Christies." I have no knowledge of the music business (don't even know what Legacy.com is), but wonder if I should have been more proactive with the news media. I assumed, wrongly, that someone from the NCM would step forward. My decades of living with and near her cause me to agree that a book or film about her life would indeed be fascinating. Thank you for your comments.
One more thought, Barb. Have you read the obituary written by Tom Pickles? It is available on Google.

#11 Feb 20, 2012
http://obbop.wordpress.com/2012/02/11/5483/

Embedded link (in blog post) to Pickle's Gayle Bio

#12 Mar 15, 2014
Thinking of you today my lovely, talented creator of peace and happiness and one of my favorite songs of all times; Cycles.

When it plays I think of you, Gayle Caldwell.

Soar with the stars, you spirit free to share joy across the cosmos.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mendocino Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ukiah police and fire log: Saturday, March 28, ... Mon the Fear tator 4
News Ukiahan jailed on molest charges (May '08) Mar 23 rissymom02 52
Fort Bragg Salmon Festival Mar 23 The right is wrong 1
News Ukiah police and fire log: Sunday, March 15, 2015 Mar 22 the Fear tator 2
News Ukiah police and fire log: Tuesday, March 17, 2015 Mar 22 the Fear tator 2
News Ukiah police and fire log: Friday, March 20, 2015 Mar 21 the Fear tator 2
News Ukiah police and fire log: Saturday, March 21, ... Mar 21 the Fear tator 2

Freeze Watch for Mendocino County was issued at April 01 at 7:27AM PDT

Mendocino Dating
Find my Match