Small post offices a big part of Morr...

Small post offices a big part of Morris life

There are 8 comments on the Daily Record story from Aug 10, 2009, titled Small post offices a big part of Morris life. In it, Daily Record reports that:

Betty-Jo Wydner used to help the Schooleys Mountain postmaster by making sandwiches while working at the general store that housed the post office.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily Record.

Glacier Hills Resident

East Orange, NJ

#1 Aug 10, 2009
That Mt. Tabor post office should have been closed years ago. It's not cost effective to keep tiny post offices open.

In additon, the roads are narrow and in serious disrepair in Tabor, and there is limited parking for the post office. It makes it dangerous for people using the Mt. Tabor post office. It should be consolidated into Denville and cluster boxes should be placed throughout the area - or there should be home delivery.

The inside of the Mt. Tabor post office looks like it's maintained by a slumlord.

Post offices are a place of business and not intended to be a community gathering point.
Tabor Resident

Rockaway, NJ

#2 Aug 10, 2009
Well, looks like Jim Jones has found another aka. "Glacier Hills Resident" who apparently doesn't live in Glacier Hills, but West Orange and Florham Park has some serious personal issues with Mount Tabor. Mayhaps they were shunned as an child. It's a good thing you don't live in Mount Tabor because we truly enjoy our way of life. Our post office is a place of business an social interaction. Unlike other towns, where you walk around avoiding people eyes, like strangers in an elevator. Everyone in Tabor talks to each other. We wave to each other as we drive by. We stop and talk to our neighbors. We help our honored older generation. We lend a hand whenever it is needed. We pitch in as a community to make Mount Tabor a lovely place to live. Apparently you have no pride where you live.
CopSleepingInCar

Jersey City, NJ

#3 Aug 11, 2009
Stick with the issue of the post office Tabor Resident. This isn't a forum to promote fantasy you have about Mt. Tabor.

The purpose of a post office is for the delivery of mail, not as a place to chat. It's time for these small postal locations to close, in Mount Tabor and elsewhere. They are not cost effective to opperate and that's one reason the postal service in $7 billion in the red. Postal customers and American taxpayers should not be forced to pay for Mt. Tabor to have a costly, run-down, hole-in-the-wall post office so local residents have a place to talk.

I seriously doubt Mt. Tabor is as Tabor resident says it is. It sounds like myth.

Since: Aug 09

Rockaway, NJ

#4 Aug 14, 2009
Well whomever Jim Jones has turned into has delusions. I am a Tabor Resident. Our post office is our post office. It is run as a post office. If you have a different definition of what a post office is, maybe that's your problem and not ours. We are proud of Tabor and our way of life. This includes our post office and personality. Get a life.
noboblogger

Jersey City, NJ

#5 Aug 14, 2009
I thought your Tabor post office was a place to chat. In the real world, a post office is a place of business - the business of sending and receiving mail.

All post offices that are not cost effective need to be closed so the whole postal system can survive and continue to serve the public.

Sorry if you Tabor people will have no place to go talk. You might think about going to Dunkin' Donuts or Starbucks, buy a coffee and chat all day long.

It may take time for Tabor people to accept change but in time you'll get used to cluster boxes throughout the neighborhood. It's the way it has to be. Things change, like it or not.
ed - st pete

Saint Petersburg, FL

#6 Aug 21, 2009
In St Petersburg Florida, the postmen walk up to each house where the mailbox is attached to the house...not on a post on the street. Doesn't cost much gas, because the mailman turns off the engine and walks the block, but it costs time. That'll really upset West Orange poster.
But the biggest waste probably comes from daily delivery, and to rural areas especially...fuel and time.
I've seen Mt Tabor - very quaint...not for me personally, but I can see the charm, especially to very social people.
Glacier Hills Resident

Jersey City, NJ

#7 Aug 21, 2009
Post offices aren't in business to be charming places to meet. Post offices are places of business involved in the delivey of mail, as authorized by Congress.

Find a nice local coffee shop with frilly curtains and meet all you want. Wear a cute, flowery tin-foil bonnet and you can make it the 2nd most charming experience of your life, next to meeting Mickey at Disney World.

Tabor's post office isn't quaint. It's poorly designed and not adequately maintained, plus parking is hazardous.

The postal service does not have a policy of expanding door-to-door delivery. Therefore, when the post office in Mt. Tabor closes, the people there most likely will have cluster boxes in various areas, which will give them 24-hour access to their mail.
The Post Man

East Orange, NJ

#8 Sep 23, 2009
I heard 07878 might close early in 2010.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mendham Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trump tweets mock video of him beating CNN, spa... Jul 9 totallydisgusted 4
News Day at the beach puts Christie in the middle of... Jul 4 Tom 3
News A July 4th trip on New Jersey's Revolutionary W... Jul 2 Corrupt NJ 1
Work from Home Business Jun '17 Bill Youngblood 1
Looking for someone Apr '17 Pam 1
News Understanding Islam: Sundays, March 19, 26 and ... Mar '17 Chriss 2
News Jill Gihorski will take reigns at CMS in January (Jul '12) Mar '17 Eddie 2

Mendham Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Mendham Mortgages