Hickory Ridge Mall; Memphis, Tennessee

Mar 28, 2010 Full story: Labelscar 44

Located approximately 20 miles southeast of downtown Memphis, Hickory Ridge Mall opened in 1981 at the corner of Winchester and Hickory Hill Roads.A At the time, this was the farthest mall from Memphis's core, and indicative of a shift in population away from the city and into the suburbs.

Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
biggin

Memphis, TN

#1 Mar 28, 2010
It's stilla great mall just dangerous like the southland mall,remember lock and load.

Since: Mar 10

Memphis, TN

#4 Mar 29, 2010
Your training it what shek? Urban Planning? Hahahahahahahahahaahahahahahah aha
silly

United States

#5 Mar 29, 2010
silly
biggin

United States

#6 Mar 29, 2010
What could you expect when section 8 housing surrounding the mall is the reason for the vacancies,the criminal element exploded and everyone with good since got out while the gettin was good,who could blame them for wanting to be in afer neighbrohoods.It did not get the name hickoryhood for nothing.
Darth_Gibb

Memphis, TN

#7 Mar 30, 2010
urbanplanner wrote:
my training tells me that longterm it will not work, given the racist nature of migration patterns established by white Memphians, unless of course you believe in the economic viability of 'separate but equal'
My training leads me to a similar outcome with different causes. Mostly I find that the racist nature of black Memphians dictates that they elect idiots that get away with saying racist things like inviting the money base to leave the city so that the "minority segment" can "do the right thing," which, apparently involves lots of crime and no working.
bowdred

United States

#8 Apr 4, 2010
i visited the hickory ridge mall for the grand reopening on april 3rd and it was like a jr. high and high school field trip of nothing but hookers and pimps. you have got to set standards for yourself and stop wearing rainbow weaves. and acting stupid. guys talking thuggish to girls and girls looking trashey. there were a few girls that were looking like young ladies. this will stop business as it did once before. it is church owned and they should play nothing but gospel music while people shop. incredible pizza won't last long because unruley teens will limit the business it brings.
jasmine

Cordova, TN

#10 Apr 4, 2010
im glad that they are trying to give the youth something to do with there time. but at the same time i can see how it will turn into a problem. only because it is to much going on under one building. And to many people and things going on at one time is a problem.
Guest

United States

#11 Apr 5, 2010
jasmine wrote:
im glad that they are trying to give the youth something to do with there time. but at the same time i can see how it will turn into a problem. only because it is to much going on under one building. And to many people and things going on at one time is a problem.
gee, blacks on welfare, jobless, whor ing, and drugs.... why won't it work lmao
can you say lazy, worthless Obama followers
gladtobgonefromm emphis

Canton, MS

#12 Apr 5, 2010
Uh hello, look at mall of Memphis, libertyland, the zoo will be next. Sorry but the blacks in this city give black people a bad name. They r animals. Can't do nothing without some fool screwing it up. Blacks better wake up and change or there will be nothing left in this city to do because no one will want the headache.
happymallishere

Olive Branch, MS

#13 Apr 6, 2010
I visited the grand re-opening of the Hickory Ridge Mall and I do believe it will be a huge success. Several stores were open for instance a jewelry store, air brush store, the cookie company and a very nice wedding chapel. This will be a unique mall that will bring business and jobs to the community.
brittany

Memphis, TN

#14 Apr 6, 2010
happymallishere wrote:
I visited the grand re-opening of the Hickory Ridge Mall and I do believe it will be a huge success. Several stores were open for instance a jewelry store, air brush store, the cookie company and a very nice wedding chapel. This will be a unique mall that will bring business and jobs to the community.
I have to disagree. Successful malls fit a certain mold and the mold for this one broke way before that tornado came along and did us all a favor. The mold for this one broke when the population in that area went from affluent and prospering to broke and thugging.

Airbrushing t-shirt shops and wedding chapels are a sure sign of a failing mall. Take a look in Raleigh.
Guest

Paragould, AR

#16 Apr 8, 2010
brittany wrote:
<quoted text>
I have to disagree. Successful malls fit a certain mold and the mold for this one broke way before that tornado came along and did us all a favor. The mold for this one broke when the population in that area went from affluent and prospering to broke and thugging.
Airbrushing t-shirt shops and wedding chapels are a sure sign of a failing mall. Take a look in Raleigh.
I agree, no one purchasing. people feeling unsafe, and only shop lifters and thugs in attendance. I stop to get something there was called names and felt like I needed security to go to the parking lot. I will go broke, unless they can make purchase with food stamp cards. sad, lovely city destroy by punks, and thugs.
Memphis Grandma

United States

#17 Apr 8, 2010
gladtobgonefrommemphis wrote:
Uh hello, look at mall of Memphis, libertyland, the zoo will be next. Sorry but the blacks in this city give black people a bad name. They r animals. Can't do nothing without some fool screwing it up. Blacks better wake up and change or there will be nothing left in this city to do because no one will want the headache.
Where and what is libertyland?
r6curves

Nashville, TN

#18 Apr 23, 2010
biggin wrote:
It's stilla great mall just dangerous like the southland mall,remember lock and load.
I just left from my first visit to the NEW Hickory Ridge Mall. Although not full of stores and not yet busy, the vision is definitely there! There was plenty of security and the stores that were open were very friendly. I think the World Overcomers will be making a difference in this community by bringing back the mall.

BTW, I am not a member of the World Overcomers, nor am I a part of the black community. I did, however, grow up in the Hickory Hill area and am excited to see that there is real change evolving there to make the community a better place to live and work!

Thanks again, to everyone involved!
visitor

Spring Hill, FL

#19 Apr 23, 2010
Memphis sucks, plain and simple

“Have a Day”

Since: Mar 08

Cordova, TN

#20 Apr 23, 2010
visitor wrote:
Memphis sucks, plain and simple
Blow me...a kiss.

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#21 Apr 25, 2010
Memphis Grandma - Liberty Land was over on Southern. It was an amusement park.
California Grandma

United States

#22 Apr 27, 2010
Chicken Tetrazzini wrote:
Memphis Grandma - Liberty Land was over on Southern. It was an amusement park.
thank you, I finally looked it up.
hoodee

United States

#23 May 11, 2010
memphis is a durdy-durdy bs place to live
make a difference

Philadelphia, PA

#24 Sep 9, 2010
instead of talking about the Memphis, make a difference be a leader and not a follower and stay positive...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Memphis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
TN Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in... (Oct '10) 16 min miss tuffet 150,770
TN Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) 2 hr Steve 9,453
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 3 hr Chuck 19,243
Shelby Forest 4 hr Barb 3
Turn in litterbugs!! (Especially those who thro... 4 hr Fern 2
Adult clubs in Memphis (not strip) Sun Guest 1
Exit polls: Boozman defeats 2-term incumbent Li... (Nov '10) Sat guest 850
•••
•••
•••

Memphis Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Memphis People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Memphis News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Memphis
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••