duana johnson; bridges mcrae; transge...

duana johnson; bridges mcrae; transgendered woman; transgender

There are 102 comments on the WREG story from Apr 9, 2010, titled duana johnson; bridges mcrae; transgendered woman; transgender. In it, WREG reports that:

A former Memphis police officer is defending himself against federal charges he violated a transgender woman's civil rights.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WREG.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
N Tay the Critic Slayer

Memphis, TN

#1 Apr 9, 2010
My Prayer for all of you tonight will be very short and simple."Heavenly Father Please forgive those that are Judgemental among others" (meaning racists)People learn to realize that Prayer changes things...Pray for your Brother or Sister don't Drag them when they have already hit rock bottom.We as People are well educated into everything society has to offer...But how many of us are educated on the Word-of-God? Ask yourself that...You can spend 10 or 15 minutes posting racist comments and everyday of your life commiting crimes and being judgemental but Honestly,"How many minutes do you fall down on your knees and Pray about the situation?"
hmmmmm

United States

#2 Apr 9, 2010
Can anyone tell me why if convicted he gets to go to the federal prison.
FLO

New Smyrna Beach, FL

#3 Apr 9, 2010
I look forward to a conviction in this case and it is good this piece of trash cop is off the streets. Hopefully their will be a full 10 year prison sentence. Soon to be little Miss Bridges Mcrae will make a good prison wife for a fellow federal inmate and how appropriate that she will now be a member of the gay community. Enjoy your new lifestyle, hope a lot of your former arrestees come across you in the pen.
Charles

Collierville, TN

#4 Apr 9, 2010
Hey cop, got a soap on a roap yet? You'll need one...LOL
Johnny

Miami, FL

#5 Apr 9, 2010
He should be facing twenty years.

A jailer, and a fellow police officer said Johnson was not fighting back, but trying to deflect the blows.

This cop is an arrogant a-hole that deserves prison time.

350 pounds? From the video, Johnson was no where near that weight.

He could have called for help to handcuff Johnson, but he chose to beat him into submission by himself.

I do feel sorry for the rookie that got put in this position.
Just saying

Eads, TN

#7 Apr 9, 2010
Praying for justice for Duanna Johnson.

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#8 Apr 9, 2010
N Tay the Critic Slayer wrote:
My Prayer for all of you tonight will be very short and simple."Heavenly Father Please forgive those that are Judgemental among others" (meaning racists)People learn to realize that Prayer changes things...Pray for your Brother or Sister don't Drag them when they have already hit rock bottom.We as People are well educated into everything society has to offer...But how many of us are educated on the Word-of-God? Ask yourself that...You can spend 10 or 15 minutes posting racist comments and everyday of your life commiting crimes and being judgemental but Honestly,"How many minutes do you fall down on your knees and Pray about the situation?"
I pray that those who hit rock bottom will pull themselves up by their bootstraps and at least get up before sunrise and try to find a job and stop killing and robbing their brothers and sisters. I also pray for those who keep calling Duana Johnson a she, when infact was a he. My Bible says that any person or animal born with a penis is a male ... PERIOD !!!! My common sense tells me, If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's a duck... PERIOD !!! Got It?

“Peace”

Since: Feb 08

Earth

#9 Apr 9, 2010
hmmmmm wrote:
Can anyone tell me why if convicted he gets to go to the federal prison.
cant answer that right now,, unless he is being charged with violating her civil rights? That might be a federal offense.
-
Web Posted: 08/28/2007 2:00 CDT
Deliberations to resume Wednesday in case of cop accused of raping transsexual
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/MYSA082906_g...
Gutierrez is charged with depriving the rights of Bernal, 23, resulting in bodily injury, which carries a punishment of up to 10 years. However, prosecutors asked the jury to enhance the charge by also finding that he committed the crime by aggravated sexual abuse (with force, coercion or intimidation), which raises the maximum possible penalty to life in prison.
-
Former San Antonio Police Officer Sentenced for Violating Citizen's Rights by Sexual Assault
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb5554/...
WASHINGTON, Jan. 19 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/-- Former San Antonio Police Officer Dean Gutierrez was sentenced today in federal court to 24 years and four months in prison for violating the civil rights of a citizen whom Gutierrez detained while on duty, the Justice Department announced today.
Gutierrez was previously found guilty of sexually and physically assaulting a transgendered individual, who was 21 years old at the time of the assault. On the night of June 10, 2005, Gutierrez detained and then drove the victim to a secluded location. Gutierrez then proceeded to beat and rape the victim.
Wintermute

Memphis, TN

#10 Apr 9, 2010
"Transgendered woman," eh? Sez who? Not the law of this state. Female reporters, yes, they seem to be copping to this trend.

This is a male homosexual who thought he got to dictate where he was going to be incarcerated. The beating perhaps could have been avoided, and that's ALL this trial should be about.

“Peace”

Since: Feb 08

Earth

#11 Apr 9, 2010
Wintermute wrote:
"Transgendered woman," eh? Sez who? Not the law of this state. Female reporters, yes, they seem to be copping to this trend.
This is a male homosexual who thought he got to dictate where he was going to be incarcerated. The beating perhaps could have been avoided, and that's ALL this trial should be about.
The FBI should have been called in to investigate this case. Johnson filed suite against the city and the two officers were fired. within a month Johnson was found dead shot in the head. Police still have no clues or leeds.
Mrs

Upper Darby, PA

#12 Apr 10, 2010
Annaleigh wrote:
<quoted text>The FBI should have been called in to investigate this case. Johnson filed suite against the city and the two officers were fired. within a month Johnson was found dead shot in the head. Police still have no clues or leeds.
I heard of this story, but never knew that it ended up with johnson being shot in the head. The sad reality, is that if johnson was a black heterosexual man who was beaten by white police officers, the NAACP as well as Rev Al sharpton would all be foaming at the mouth to cruixify the officers involved. But due to the NAACP and the church being as homophobic as the KKK, this just happened to skip right over their heterosexual only meter.

I started a thread titled "I Have A Question". In this I was asking if my transgender lover should keep silent or come out of the closet, due to her surrent situation. But seeing how people hate transgender women, I quess she should keep doing exactly what she is currently doing now. which is to keep silent.
Miniar

Kópavogur, Iceland

#13 Apr 10, 2010
MrWhiteyReturns wrote:
<quoted text>
I pray that those who hit rock bottom will pull themselves up by their bootstraps and at least get up before sunrise and try to find a job and stop killing and robbing their brothers and sisters. I also pray for those who keep calling Duana Johnson a she, when infact was a he. My Bible says that any person or animal born with a **** is a male ... PERIOD !!!! My common sense tells me, If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's a duck... PERIOD !!! Got It?
Now, I've read the bible, and I can't find anything about transsexuals within it. You must have a really strange version of it.

And what of those who're born with ambiguous or anomalous genitals? What are they?

If "it" looks like a woman, talks like a woman and walks like a woman, it's a woman.(According to your commons sense.)

Just saying...
Jim Bakker

New Smyrna Beach, FL

#14 Apr 10, 2010
MrWhiteyReturns wrote:
<quoted text>
I pray that those who hit rock bottom will pull themselves up by their bootstraps and at least get up before sunrise and try to find a job and stop killing and robbing their brothers and sisters. I also pray for those who keep calling Duana Johnson a she, when infact was a he. My Bible says that any person or animal born with a **** is a male ... PERIOD !!!! My common sense tells me, If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's a duck... PERIOD !!! Got It?
With all the problems in the world and in particular this situation of a street thug violently assaulting a transgendered WOMAN, you are worried about how people choose to address HER. That seems totally irrelevant, the serious issues in this story are the attempted murder and Hate Crime that was administered by the low life scum of the earth Bridges McRae along with his accessory to attempted murder James Swain. According to other news reports McRae was calling her "faggot" and then using steel handcuffs wrapped around his knuckles repeatedly hitting her in the head. It would seem this meets the standards of a hate crime. That is what is important in this story. Oh by the way, how do you know that she had a "****," might you have personal up close knowledge about this? None of the news reports tell us what was down there, it could have been changed, cut off, or born with out. It would be interesting to know, as asked by the previous post that mentioned this, I'm curious what does your bible say about a baby born with out or with both organs down there? Sometimes life is not as simple as you think it is, PERIOD !!! GOT IT?
doughesson

Memphis, TN

#15 Apr 10, 2010
This wasn't a woman."She" still had a man's musculature and could have inflicted serious bodily harm upon Officer McRae.
Just like with the Rodney King incident,all the news shows is the officer hitting the seated suspect and not what provoked it.Was the camera turned off before Officer McRae started swinging or is there an prohibition on showing the beginning of the trouble?
Tammy

Richmond, VA

#16 Apr 10, 2010
It is just mad because the man didn't do her- him or it.
Jim Bakker

New Smyrna Beach, FL

#17 Apr 10, 2010
doughesson wrote:
This wasn't a woman."She" still had a man's musculature and could have inflicted serious bodily harm upon Officer McRae.
Just like with the Rodney King incident,all the news shows is the officer hitting the seated suspect and not what provoked it.Was the camera turned off before Officer McRae started swinging or is there an prohibition on showing the beginning of the trouble?
Actually read this story, check out the commercial appeals story, the other news stations, and yes their is video from the time she was brought into the jail up to the beating and she did nothing to provoke this attack. She was being called over to be processed by the officer and she refused to get up and come over. The officer was calling her "faggot," and she refused to go over to be processed until he called her by her female name. That is it, Officer McRae's own partner that night, James Swain along with other jailers testified to these facts. After she just sat there Officer McRae walked over and began punching her in the head with steel handcuffs wrapped around his knuckles. She just sat there and took the beating until after several punches to the head she got up and began swinging to defend herself although, she did not get in a good hit back. That is it, no reason for this Officer to have assaulted her. After viewing the tape District Attorney Bill Gibbons dropped all the original charges that she was arrested for, that has got to tell you something. Both MPD officers were fired after this attack, the were 100% in the wrong and no doubt the jury will find Bridges McRae guilty and he will be serving some serious federal prison time. All the information is out there in the open, you can google both written articles and videos of this event. Their is no justification for this assault by McRae and everybody at MPD, Shelby County Jail, and the District Attorneys Office knows it and all have dropped Bridges McRae and James Swain like two hot potatoes, they want nothing to do with either of them, for fellow police officers to do that tells you McRae and Swain were in the wrong. Bridges McRae is soon to have a felony conviction and will be serving time in federal prison for 10 years and when time is served he will have a tough time finding work, no longer able to posses firearms, and will not be able to vote, he has lost the basic rights of the American Dream, all because he was filled with hate and had no tolerance for a gay man.
Johnny

United States

#20 Apr 10, 2010
Jim Bakker wrote:
<quoted text> Actually read this story, check out the commercial appeals story, the other news stations, and yes their is video from the time she was brought into the jail up to the beating and she did nothing to provoke this attack. She was being called over to be processed by the officer and she refused to get up and come over. The officer was calling her " ****," and she refused to go over to be processed until he called her by her female name. That is it, Officer McRae's own partner that night, James Swain along with other jailers testified to these facts. After she just sat there Officer McRae walked over and began punching her in the head with steel handcuffs wrapped around his knuckles. She just sat there and took the beating until after several punches to the head she got up and began swinging to defend herself although, she did not get in a good hit back. That is it, no reason for this Officer to have assaulted her. After viewing the tape District Attorney Bill Gibbons dropped all the original charges that she was arrested for, that has got to tell you something. Both MPD officers were fired after this attack, the were 100% in the wrong and no doubt the jury will find Bridges McRae guilty and he will be serving some serious federal prison time. All the information is out there in the open, you can google both written articles and videos of this event. Their is no justification for this assault by McRae and everybody at MPD, Shelby County Jail, and the District Attorneys Office knows it and all have dropped Bridges McRae and James Swain like two hot potatoes, they want nothing to do with either of them, for fellow police officers to do that tells you McRae and Swain were in the wrong. Bridges McRae is soon to have a felony conviction and will be serving time in federal prison for 10 years and when time is served he will have a tough time finding work, no longer able to posses firearms, and will not be able to vote, he has lost the basic rights of the American Dream, all because he was filled with hate and had no tolerance for a gay man.
I doubt there was any hate involved, he just liked hurting people, and because he was a cop, he thought he could get away with it.

I have followed this story closely, and I read where Mr. Johnson was shot execution style, and three men ran from the scene.

I don't believe the cops want to solve this murder. Maybe the FBI will take up the case.
Johnny

United States

#21 Apr 10, 2010
A former Memphis police officer told a federal jury Thursday that a fellow officer's videotaped altercation with a transgender prisoner last year was not a fight but "a beatdown" by the officer.

Testifying for the prosecution, James Swain said he watched officer Bridges "Sutton" McRae use his metal handcuffs like brass knuckles to punch the prisoner several times in the head in the sally port of the jail.

McRae, who was fired, is charged with civil rights violations. If convicted, he faces up to 10 years in federal prison and a maximum $250,000 fine.

Swain said the incident began when the prisoner, Dwayne Johnson, refused to be fingerprinted unless McRae called him by his feminine name, Duanna.

"McRae kept hitting Johnson multiple times in the head," said Swain, a probationary officer released by the department. "Johnson was bleeding profusely from the head. It was a beatdown. It never should have happened....(McRae) walked by and said 'I love to fight.' He was very aggressive and had his chest puffed out. I was speechless."

http://tinyurl.com/y8tvdfm
Jim Bakker

New Smyrna Beach, FL

#22 Apr 10, 2010
Johnny wrote:
A former Memphis police officer told a federal jury Thursday that a fellow officer's videotaped altercation with a transgender prisoner last year was not a fight but "a beatdown" by the officer.
Testifying for the prosecution, James Swain said he watched officer Bridges "Sutton" McRae use his metal handcuffs like brass knuckles to punch the prisoner several times in the head in the sally port of the jail.
McRae, who was fired, is charged with civil rights violations. If convicted, he faces up to 10 years in federal prison and a maximum $250,000 fine.
Swain said the incident began when the prisoner, Dwayne Johnson, refused to be fingerprinted unless McRae called him by his feminine name, Duanna.
"McRae kept hitting Johnson multiple times in the head," said Swain, a probationary officer released by the department. "Johnson was bleeding profusely from the head. It was a beatdown. It never should have happened....(McRae) walked by and said 'I love to fight.' He was very aggressive and had his chest puffed out. I was speechless."
http://tinyurl.com/y8tvdfm
James Swain is a better person than I thought for telling the truth and expressing that he was "speechless," that is pretty damning testimony, very interesting. My assumption of McRae having hate towards Duanna is because of reports that McRae was calling her "F**GG*T" and he/she when calling her over to be processed. Those are unprofessional and hateful words, so McRae is Homophobic and his actions fall under the hate crime criteria of bias-motivated crimes when a perpetrator targets a victim because of his or her sexual orientation. If the details of Duanna Johnsons murder is at the least bit suspicious as far as the possibility of some connection, then the FBI should investigate, its probably unlikely but stranger things have happened.
Cher

Memphis, TN

#23 Apr 10, 2010
It appears Duanna finally " mouthed off" to the wrong person.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Memphis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
RIP FEDEX worker 1 hr USA now 3rd world 1
Commercial appeal 5 dollars today 19 hr What the hell 1
History of Memphis Wrestling (Mar '17) 19 hr Jimmy Lawler 17
Civil war statue 20 hr Skynyrd 79
steve cohen flips out on african american woman Wed Dem luver 3
Arica logan hutchison Wed Guest 1
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) Nov 20 Mcm123 21,338

Memphis Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Memphis Mortgages