Mom Beats Girl With Mop

There are 20 comments on the Apr 7, 2010, WREG story titled Mom Beats Girl With Mop. In it, WREG reports that:

A woman wanted by Germantown police for beating her daughter is on the run after forging her name while being booked into jail.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WREG.

arlngtnwman

Arlington, TN

#25 Apr 8, 2010
I am from Memphis btw not sure why it is showing up MS.
Sam

Pearlington, MS

#26 Apr 8, 2010
That is the problem with this country. A parent can not even spank a child any kind of way anymore. Everyone acts as if this was a 6 year old. We are talking about a teenager that is most likely bigger than her mom. So mom had to use what she had to use to discipline her child. No one would have said a thing if it was grandma whooping the girl with a broomstick. She may have went a little overboard sending the child to the hosipital.
mom to three

Collierville, TN

#27 Apr 8, 2010
Seriously this is not about white or black, purple or gold. This is about a disconnect between families and communities. There needs to be something above subpar education in this city, and social services that are pro retraining and educating. This city is a mess, and it has nothing to do with race, but everything to do with economics and what we as a community hold to be important. Not until the City can come together as a community and offer support, PROPER education and training are we going anywhere. You can sit around and call names and make wide accusations based on race or culture or you can get off your rump and make a difference.....Oh wait that MUST be asking way to much of you all!!!!! Back to the ignorance!!!!
unknown

Collierville, TN

#28 Apr 8, 2010
This lady is an educated lady. I have known her for 5 years and has been scetchy to me. She put both of her children in private schools to attempt to get them away from the life she grew up in. Her eldest son graduated from a fantastic high school and is now in college. Her son said to me that he was in a gang and if it were not for going to the high school he did his life would have been awful. I feel deeply sorry for both of her children. She needs help and I hope she gets it. I am white and this has nothing to do with race. Why does everything have to be race related?
gman

Kenilworth, NJ

#29 Apr 8, 2010
That lil' hefer probably needed her ashtray whipped. she was on the way getting pregnant by the little boy who you know is not working. who was going to take care of the child, my tax money!
Give_Me_A_Break

Memphis, TN

#30 Apr 8, 2010
seriously, who cares what color the mom and daughter are? The point is that the girl is too young to be sneaking boys in and that she got what she deserved. I commend this mom for actually taking a stand against her kid. She could have used something besides a mop handle to beat her with, but atleast she was concerned enough to do it.
Really

West Memphis, AR

#31 Apr 8, 2010
So based on this article saying the woman hit her teenage daughter with a broom for having a boy in the house when she was home alone & told not to many commenters are saying she was too violent & abusive? Granted the other things mentioned in the article, the forgery, identity theft, criminal impersonation, mean this lady is in fact due some prison time for that, if they are in fact true. But have any of you not had an unruly teenager? Where no matter what you do to discipline or reach your child, they rebel & are not only disobedient but disrespectful & manipulative? I for one have experienced that & am still dealing with a child like that. I am raising my sister's child & he has in fact had a hard past, but has had every opportunity to succeed and move on & had counselling out the ying yang and to no avail. In fact, I have had him in my face saying all sorts of things & was told by his counselor that no matter what he said to me, no matter how bad or disrespectful, if I so much as slapped him for it, that would be proper cause for him to be taken away and me placed with an abuse charge. Unfortunately sometimes a child needs a firm hand. Not abuse. The control of disciplining your children has been taken away. Now we are not allowed to do anything to discipline a child outside of taking away things & grounding which with some children does no good. And what makes matters worse even is that kids know that now so they continue to push the envelope more & more. Now I am not saying this lady was not abusive, merely that based on this flimsy few paragraphs people are ready to draw that conclusion. How quickly we cast stones. Perhaps this was about the fact that this woman knows her teenage daughter is or likely could be sexually active & is in fear of her getting pregnant at such a young age or worse. Perhaps she has been caught with boys or rather men who are too old for her to associate with. Or maybe any other # of countless reasons a mother would be mortified for her teenage daughter to be alone in a house with a boy. One thing I do know, this most certainly isn't about race & people who automatically jump to that topic regarding anything have some serious issues. Secondly, I am thankful for the authorities and DHS for the work done to ensure that children don't have to live in violent situations. However, sometimes I think that a great # of those cases are not abuse, but a parent dealing with a terribly unruly child in any way they can. Lastly, only those who have had an unruly child knows how hard this can be & regardless of the uncertainty of the situation, I wish this mother & daughter to get some help and hope that they can work out these issues.
JHB

Memphis, TN

#32 Apr 8, 2010
Hey racist tea suckers (or white racist of Memphis):

61% of welfare recipients are White, while 33% percent are Black, and this is according to Census Bureau statistics. Now that we have that established, let's try a different argument than all blacks are on welfare, because obviously its more of you all snorting crack, cooking meth, and throwing your kids off into the Mississippi River than blacks could ever think about doing.

Also I am Black with a college degree and a gig.
Stan

United States

#33 Apr 8, 2010
Jay wrote:
<quoted text>
How dare you make this statement like your peoples S***t don't stink. Your people have meth houses lined all and up along the streets and yet you find it neccessary to tell u s to "train" our people. It is because of your people many things are the way they are. True enough we should be responsible for the crimes we commit, but the only difference between the two is that more white people commit "white-Collar" crimes. Your people put the ecnomy in the hole and when people become angry you blame every race but your own. White people do not take ownership in anything that they do and this is the reason you people are hated by so many; asians, hispanics, indians, blacks, the list goes on. You find one person who has never lied, or stole a piece of candy and then maybe I would apologize, but your ignorance and way of thinking makes me wonder what hole you crawled out of.
Our s**t may stink, but your s**t kills left right... Simple fact. Time to stop the political correctness and name things for what they are. I work in this field and I know, whose houses we "visit" most of the time. Black population has some serious violent crime issues, that must be resolved, if we want this county to be a better place to live. Call me racist, but it is true and you know it. Don't spit at us and fix the problem.
weary warrior

United States

#34 Apr 8, 2010
Right Call wrote:
Have you ever had to deal with an unruly teen? The girl is lucky she didnt get a real wooping like she probably needed. The cops dont want to do anything about the unruly teen until they break the law. But they wont hesitate to charge the adult even when the adult is correct. They girl knew da-mn well that she was not to have any boys in the house and did it anyway, like she owns the house, and pays the bills. So she got punished. Just like if you rob a bank today and get caught, you will get punished because thats how it works. And BTW, its not about color, its about a punk as-s kid that needed a dose of reality.
Are you for real? So let me get this straight...what you are saying is that if a teenage girl has boys in the house when she was told not to, the proper method of correction is to beat her with a broom handle? Uh...I dont think you will be winning any parenting awards anytime soon, moron.
Furthermore-if mom was involved in her daughter's life actively by guiding her and preparing her to become a young lady-then she wouldnt be actin a fool.
Thik4Sho

Memphis, TN

#35 Apr 8, 2010
So are the white Meth labs since you want to stereotype the black race.
Dan wrote:
Black behavior is getting scarier by the day
Stan

United States

#36 Apr 8, 2010
[QUOTE who="JHB"
Also I am Black with a college degree and a gig.[/QUOTE]

Yet, you are not watching a local news...
Really

West Memphis, AR

#37 Apr 8, 2010
All of this commenting on race & race issues is just showing how ignorant a good part of the population is becoming. Lets all take any article and turn it into white vs. black. What is wrong with all you people who are so centered on race hating? One way or another whether you are white & have issues with blacks or black & have issues with whites, or for that matter any race what so ever, c'mon... it is so not about that. Please people get a grip.

And um, some children no matter how much you lead & guide and direct them and no matter how involved you try to be with them will still be unruly and go in the wrong path. If you don't believe that happens, then you are delusional.
CCD

Nashville, TN

#38 Apr 8, 2010
Fact of the matter crime is committed everywhere but the thing is what is more appealing to the News?(The crimes committed by the black community). News today is a form of brainwashing to make you think a certain way about ethnic group which creates prejudice and breeds hate. No group is better then the other. You just see one group on tv more then others.
weary warrior

United States

#39 Apr 8, 2010
Really wrote:
So based on this article saying the woman hit her teenage daughter with a broom for having a boy in the house when she was home alone & told not to many commenters are saying she was too violent & abusive? Granted the other things mentioned in the article, the forgery, identity theft, criminal impersonation, mean this lady is in fact due some prison time for that, if they are in fact true. But have any of you not had an unruly teenager? Where no matter what you do to discipline or reach your child, they rebel & are not only disobedient but disrespectful & manipulative? I for one have experienced that & am still dealing with a child like that. I am raising my sister's child & he has in fact had a hard past, but has had every opportunity to succeed and move on & had counselling out the ying yang and to no avail. In fact, I have had him in my face saying all sorts of things & was told by his counselor that no matter what he said to me, no matter how bad or disrespectful, if I so much as slapped him for it, that would be proper cause for him to be taken away and me placed with an abuse charge. Unfortunately sometimes a child needs a firm hand. Not abuse. The control of disciplining your children has been taken away. Now we are not allowed to do anything to discipline a child outside of taking away things & grounding which with some children does no good. And what makes matters worse even is that kids know that now so they continue to push the envelope more & more. Now I am not saying this lady was not abusive, merely that based on this flimsy few paragraphs people are ready to draw that conclusion. How quickly we cast stones. Perhaps this was about the fact that this woman knows her teenage daughter is or likely could be sexually active & is in fear of her getting pregnant at such a young age or worse. Perhaps she has been caught with boys or rather men who are too old for her to associate with. Or maybe any other # of countless reasons a mother would be mortified for her teenage daughter to be alone in a house with a boy. One thing I do know, this most certainly isn't about race & people who automatically jump to that topic regarding anything have some serious issues. Secondly, I am thankful for the authorities and DHS for the work done to ensure that children don't have to live in violent situations. However, sometimes I think that a great # of those cases are not abuse, but a parent dealing with a terribly unruly child in any way they can. Lastly, only those who have had an unruly child knows how hard this can be & regardless of the uncertainty of the situation, I wish this mother & daughter to get some help and hope that they can work out these issues.
I dont have time to read your book. I will wait for the mini-series.
JHB

Memphis, TN

#40 Apr 8, 2010
Stan wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet, you are not watching a local news...
I wonder what am I doing then on the website for WREG TV 3 MEMPHIS???? I am a citizen of Memphis, watching a MEMPHIS LOCAL news station. Think before you speak!
sally

United States

#41 Apr 8, 2010
The article never stated whether or not the police gave the woman her custodial rights to continue beating this young girl...PLEASE don't tell us the girl is being drug around & still being beat by this woman!!! This is the kind of thing the community needs to be on the ball with & report these things to the police. Neighbors telling the police of other incidents seems like they have long being seeing things were not right here. These kids from all across the city who are living everyday with people who are abusing them is one of the reasons why our crime continues to spiral out of control. Years later when the people of the community read of a particular person (formerly abused child) committing a terrible crime, all they will say is "I knew he was going to turn out to be bad!" or "I knew they had it in them!" Please, Memphis, call & report anytime you witness a child or adolescent being mistreated or abused. It is one small step to save some of these young people lives & possibly a few of them their souls.
Really

West Memphis, AR

#42 Apr 8, 2010
weary warrior wrote:
<quoted text>
I dont have time to read your book. I will wait for the mini-series.
Wow aren't we the smart @ss? At least my post was non delusional.
Queen28

Memphis, TN

#43 Apr 8, 2010
It has nothing to do with race! All teenagers do stuff! Her mom has a lot of negative stuff going on in her life. But I would have used corporal punishment too on the child for having a boy in the house! Everyone thinks it's wrong because it might be normal for some white teens to have boys in the house and spend the night when the parents are home or not home. Now if the girl ends up pregnant, raped or with a sexually transmitted disease everyone will be posting how black teen have the highest pregnancy and STD rate.... Go figure. The article was suppose to be about the mother "abusing" her daughter but as usual it has jumped to Race and Ignorance!
Queen28

Memphis, TN

#44 Apr 8, 2010
Besides when you can't discipline any child that's when they turn out to be criminals! "Spare the rod spoil the child"... GOD said it and it needs to be done! My children have to get hit every now and then, if the parent doesn't believe me the police and judge won't have a problem with slapping them with something......plenty rest at in a jail or prison, or pushing up daisies!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Memphis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 7 hr Chuck 19,852
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Tennessee ... (Oct '10) Sat yes 297
Review: Mame Hair Braiding Sat never again 1
I'm waiting for the man Sat cherryqueen 2
manny pacquiao vs. floyd mayweather fight Apr 24 Tony 3
dog food Apr 23 dboy88 12
brown dog food Apr 23 dboy 1
More from around the web

Memphis People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]