Tugboats Collide on Mississippi River

Tugboats Collide on Mississippi River

There are 23 comments on the WREG story from Jul 27, 2010, titled Tugboats Collide on Mississippi River. In it, WREG reports that:

Three people were hospitalized late Tuesday after two tugboats collided on the Mississippi River.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WREG.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
anonymous

Germantown, TN

#3 Jul 27, 2010
The usual awful accuracy job by WREG. Two barges collided. The things that move around the barges are called towboats.
cindy07

Cordova, TN

#4 Jul 27, 2010
To Editors: Reference to Tuesday evening in your story should be Monday evening.
doughesson

Memphis, TN

#5 Jul 27, 2010
Barges carry the cargo and liquid product.Linehaul towboats move them up and down the river between cities.
Towboats that remain in a given area moving barges between fleets and docks for loading and unloading are referred to as "tugs" but they are still "towboats" even if the crew changes every twelve hours with the off duty guys going home.
Another term for harbor boats is "lunchbucket boats" because the crew brings their lunches with them instead of having a cook onboard to feed them at watch change like line boats do.
doughesson

Memphis, TN

#6 Jul 27, 2010
According to the marine advisory put out by the Coast Guard on VHF channel 16,the product spilled is nitrile,if I am hearing it correctly.
The river is shut down til further notice from mile marker 765 to mile 771 to allow cleanup crews the safety to contain and collect the spill.
stupidmemphis

Flowood, MS

#7 Jul 27, 2010
who gives a sh*t
Gilberto Diaz

Fayetteville, NC

#8 Jul 27, 2010
I wonder, why so many "accidents" that all contaminate our water sources? I wonder if any of these operators has been investigated for possible ties to terrorist/anti-government groups? I just can't believe these are just plain accidents... The Gulf of Mexico, these two barges, the broken dam in Iowa... Why all the mayor disasters involve water, can it be just coincidence? I pray it is, otherwise this could be the beginning of a great downfall for the USA... God help us...
Baton

Cordova, TN

#9 Jul 27, 2010
Human Health Hazards
Health Hazard Reference(s)
Recognized: Carcinogen P65
Suspected: Cardiovascular or Blood Toxicant ATSDR
Developmental Toxicant ATSDR EPA-SARA
Gastrointestinal or Liver Toxicant RTECS
Immunotoxicant HAZMAP
Neurotoxicant ATSDR DAN EPA-HEN HAZMAP RTECS
Reproductive Toxicant ATSDR EPA-SARA
Respiratory Toxicant EPA-HEN HAZMAP OEHHA-CREL RTECS
Skin or Sense Organ Toxicant HAZMAP RTECS

[ top ]

----------

Hazard Rankings
More hazardous than most chemicals in 12 out of 12 ranking systems.
Ranked as one of the most hazardous compounds (worst 10%) to ecosystems and human health.
doughesson

Memphis, TN

#10 Jul 27, 2010
Well,the TWIC program is supposed to prevent terrorists from finding work within our transportation system.
Towboats DO collide,despite the pilots' best efforts.Not as often as automobiles but collisions do occur.
Because of the size of the cargoes involved,cleanup is more involved than with a tank truck wreck.
Gilberto Diaz wrote:
I wonder, why so many "accidents" that all contaminate our water sources? I wonder if any of these operators has been investigated for possible ties to terrorist/anti-government groups? I just can't believe these are just plain accidents... The Gulf of Mexico, these two barges, the broken dam in Iowa... Why all the mayor disasters involve water, can it be just coincidence? I pray it is, otherwise this could be the beginning of a great downfall for the USA... God help us...
Geezer

AOL

#11 Jul 27, 2010
The proper term is TOWBOAT. Tugboats pull ships around in a harbor. Towboats push barges along the river.
wellreadone

Rimrock, AZ

#12 Jul 27, 2010
Oh nice. As if the gulf did not have enough problems.
Kaye Kiker

Rainsville, AL

#13 Jul 27, 2010
How are people in and around the accident to know the name of the toxic chemical and how to protect themselves? There is no mention of the chemical in this article. Will it kill fish? Is it a carcinagin? Does contact with water make it volatile? Are communities down river alerted? What about those fishing out of the River? Are municipal water suppliers aware? More info please.
anonymous

Metairie, LA

#14 Jul 27, 2010
I assure you the guys from the towboat that hit are NOT terrorists and are with an upstanding U.S. company that would not have snything to do with those sort of people!!! So keep your ignorant opinions to yourselves.
Max

Memphis, TN

#15 Jul 27, 2010
COVINGTON, TN (AP)- Three tug boat workers were hospitalized after a barge collision on the Mississippi River that resulted in a chemical spill.

U.S. Coast Guard Lt. Commander Ian Byrd said the workers were hospitalized as a precaution because they may have inhaled fumes from the chemical acrylonitrile that one of the barges was carrying.

Acrylonitrile is a man-made, colorless, liquid chemical with a sharp onion- or garlic-like odor that can be dissolved in water and evaporates quickly, according to the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry website.

Byrd said the Coast Guard is still trying to determine whether more than one barge was damaged.

The accident happened at about 9 p.m. Monday near the Hatchie River inlet at mile marker 775.5. That's between Tipton County and Lauderdale County on the Tennessee side and about 8 miles south of Osceola on the Arkansas side.

The river is temporarily closed between mile markers 776 and 769.

As on TV5

Now thats reporting! Terminology and all.
Max

Memphis, TN

#16 Jul 27, 2010
Each barge has a hazmat decal with the name of the chemical being transported. Each chemical should have a hasmat sheet that describes what to do and who to call.
Kaye Kiker

Rainsville, AL

#17 Jul 27, 2010
Here's a fact sheet on Acrylonitrile.
http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/tfacts125.html
Breathing high concentrations of acrylonitrile will cause nose and throat irritation, tightness in the chest, difficulty breathing, nausea, dizziness, weakness, headache, impaired judgment, and convulsions. These symptoms usually disappear when exposure is stopped. If spilled on the skin, acrylonitrile will burn the skin and produce redness and blisters.
Animal studies show effects from breathing acrylonitrile. These effects include irritation to the nasal cavity and lungs, changes in the breathing rate, fluid accumulation in the lungs, weakness, and paralysis. Decreased fertility and birth defects have been observed in some laboratory animals exposed to high concentrations of acrylonitrile in air or drinking water.
There is evidence that children are much more sensitive to acrylonitrile than adults. In a few cases, children have died following exposure to acrylonitrile vapors that caused only minor nose and throat irritation in adults.
Yippeee

United States

#18 Jul 27, 2010
Kaye Kiker wrote:
Here's a fact sheet on Acrylonitrile.
http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/tfacts125.html
Breathing high concentrations of acrylonitrile will cause nose and throat irritation, tightness in the chest, difficulty breathing, nausea, dizziness, weakness, headache, impaired judgment, and convulsions. These symptoms usually disappear when exposure is stopped. If spilled on the skin, acrylonitrile will burn the skin and produce redness and blisters.
Animal studies show effects from breathing acrylonitrile. These effects include irritation to the nasal cavity and lungs, changes in the breathing rate, fluid accumulation in the lungs, weakness, and paralysis. Decreased fertility and birth defects have been observed in some laboratory animals exposed to high concentrations of acrylonitrile in air or drinking water.
There is evidence that children are much more sensitive to acrylonitrile than adults. In a few cases, children have died following exposure to acrylonitrile vapors that caused only minor nose and throat irritation in adults.
Sweet! where can I get a case? Got a party coming up!
doughesson

Memphis, TN

#21 Jul 28, 2010
And the MSDS(Material Safety Data Sheet) is kept in a mail box or other easily seen container for quick reference in an emergency.
Tankermen are taught in their licensing classes or through OTJ learning to verify the papers are on board the barge each time they load or unload the tanks.
When the barge is holed from collision,allison or grounding and product is leaking out is NOT the time to be rummaging around trying to find it for the responding fire department(s).
Max wrote:
Each barge has a hazmat decal with the name of the chemical being transported. Each chemical should have a hasmat sheet that describes what to do and who to call.
doughesson

Memphis, TN

#22 Jul 28, 2010
Yippeee wrote:
<quoted text>
Sweet! where can I get a case? Got a party coming up!
It also makes you sterile so help yourself to as much as you can inhale without passing out.
Please.
Poor Tug Boats

Memphis, TN

#23 Jul 28, 2010

Oh, the humanity of it all! Not the tug boats! Oh PLEASE NOT THE TUG BOATS!!!

(Runs away in tears.....)
DungHesson

United States

#24 Jul 28, 2010
doughesson wrote:
<quoted text>
It also makes you sterile so help yourself to as much as you can inhale without passing out.
Please.
Doug...should you not be at a "magic" show with a bunch of kids (& some "well" hidden gerbils?)
You DO know sarcasm when you see it?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Memphis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Pony 22 hr Molly 1
Strip Clubs in Memphis (Jan '09) 22 hr Molly 194
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) Mon bayonne nj 21,037
Memphis street outlaws Mon john 9
Memphis gangs (Oct '16) Mon Defeat Maxine Wat... 5
lynching of Ell Persons Sun guest 1
Allergy Sufferers Sun Sneezy 1

Memphis Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Memphis Mortgages