Memphis Night Life 80s

Posted in the Memphis Forum

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
grasshooper

Longview, TX

#1 Jun 14, 2011
What happened to all the clubs there used to be in memphis boy this town had it going on Bad Bobs,Buck and Tiny, The Vapors sure miss the night life
JustSayNo

Memphis, TN

#2 Jun 15, 2011
20 years of piss poor leadership has left this city a shell of its former self. Those that have the means to vacate this cess pool, have already gone.
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#3 Jun 17, 2011
.... and then there was Tina's Lounge, El Camino, Dynasty Club, Log Cabin, Miller's Cave, Summer Place, 70 Club, etc. Yeah, I know what you mean cause I miss 'em too. Played in most all in town but sure wouldn't want to again. Too old anyway, I guess! LOL
Lvke

United States

#4 Jun 21, 2011
Man,really digged Stage Stop,Shooters,Sweets,Mugs. Those were great meat markets.
gonzo

United States

#5 Jun 29, 2011
how about in the 80s

Bombay Bicycle club
TGI overton square
Bull and Bear Cafe on quince
Houlihan's at Park Place on Ridgeway
Scruples on ridgelake
Joly ox/steak and ale
Dr. Watson's
Confetti
Cowboy
Elan ,Clarke Tower
Cold Storage
Horse Feathers on Mt Moriah in hotel

I got more..lol

Memphis had some fairly decent places a while back
ABC

Humboldt, TN

#6 Jun 29, 2011
Yes, I remember all of those clubs. My favorite was Mr. T's Lounge at Summer and White Station. I enjoyed the Vapors, Buck and Tiny's, Miller's Cave,
The People's Choice, Top of The People's Choice, The Stage Stop, and The Jersey Lilley. All good clean Fun. No Drugs, knives, guns, domestic violence, or other crime. Now I am afraid to go to Memphis after dark if I had a winning lottery ticket down there waiting on me. But those were the good ole' days. Thanks for taking me down memory lane one more time.
Summer

North Little Rock, AR

#7 Jun 29, 2011
i like the 80's
Chick

United States

#8 Jun 29, 2011
i like the 70S
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#9 Jun 30, 2011
I'm with "Chick", the late 60's and the 70's were my time to howl! Good music then also. Not like today as it all sounds the same. Country is NOT country and we're a long way from Chuck Berry Little Richard and Jerry Lee in the rock field. At least, that's my feelings.
grasshopper

Longview, TX

#10 Jun 30, 2011
ABC wrote:
Yes, I remember all of those clubs. My favorite was Mr. T's Lounge at Summer and White Station. I enjoyed the Vapors, Buck and Tiny's, Miller's Cave,
The People's Choice, Top of The People's Choice, The Stage Stop, and The Jersey Lilley. All good clean Fun. No Drugs, knives, guns, domestic violence, or other crime. Now I am afraid to go to Memphis after dark if I had a winning lottery ticket down there waiting on me. But those were the good ole' days. Thanks for taking me down memory lane one more time.
No wonder the kids today are so screwed up I was going to Bad Bobs
and Buck and Tinys when I was 18 Drink and Dance Have a good time
now all the kids want to do now is sniff paint and smoke crack they
dont know how to have a good time.
elvira

United States

#11 Jul 7, 2011
maybe mid to late eighties ?

The Castle ?? lol

There was also a place that looked like the old Smuggler's Inns found in Atlanta, right near the airport office park on where Brooks intersected Airways and anothe place two blocks down the street on Airways (North but before interstate entrance) on the right hand side

anybody remember the Victoria station off Mendenhall across the street from the Lincoln-Mercury dealership ? LOL....later there was still another joint that opened up just across the street in a plaza on Cottonwood...that didn't last long for sure !

but in one night you could hit Horsefeathers at the Holiday Inn.....another place next door I can't remember it's name but it turned much later into the Platinum Plus first club...and these other places in less than a 4 square block area right there around Mount Moriah/Mendenhall area and it was a quite safe area then

Since: Mar 10

Cordova, TN

#12 Jul 9, 2011
1980's clubs...sheker's favorite subject, eh Elvira?
sunny

United States

#13 Jul 17, 2011
What about the Nautilus lounge? Seems like it was at Holiday City? I'm guessing its gone now.
Sugar

Dyersburg, TN

#14 Jul 18, 2011
Mississippi Man wrote:
I'm with "Chick", the late 60's and the 70's were my time to howl! Good music then also. Not like today as it all sounds the same. Country is NOT country and we're a long way from Chuck Berry Little Richard and Jerry Lee in the rock field. At least, that's my feelings.
You said. Country is the new rock n roll. REAL country is nowhere to be found these days. and Little Richard and Jerry Lee and Chuck B are still out there doing it thank god. Incredible to think that. I have seen both Little Richard and Jerry Lee in the last couple of years and it was amazing
Klansman

Memphis, TN

#15 Jul 19, 2011
The africans ruined it all.
poohbear

United States

#16 Jul 20, 2011
dad's place
hell yes

Memphis, TN

#17 Jul 20, 2011
poooh bear..remember it well!
ABC

Memphis, TN

#18 Jul 20, 2011
OMG!! I forgot Dad's Place. That was a really a nice place. It was a good clean crowd. All the people that I met there had jobs, decent education, were not thugs, and the crowd was a good crowd. Not a drugged up, doped up,bunch of thugs. You could eat dinner upstairs in the back, then come down to the bottom floor for drinks and dancing. Always a good band. Even though it was on Brooks Rd., it was a safe place. Met a lot of decent people(male & female) there. I think I remember being there sometime around 1986. WOW..........
mbSL550

United States

#19 Jul 21, 2011
yep, Dad'a was in the Ramada , right ? you are correct, very decent crowd, no trash really...great bartenders and servers too, but I remeber a host of great out-of-town bands that played super music..it was easy to talk to others, and easy to meet anyone who you saw ! nobody was a drunk or stuck-up or anything else - just nice people getting together for a good time
mbSL550

United States

#20 Jul 21, 2011
here's another

The Circle Cafe on Brookhaven off Poplar

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Memphis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 1 hr HomeyDclown2016k 20,198
k2 17 hr Spice is nice 2
zac s Sun steel gate 2
where is the legal bud (Sep '15) Sun Paulden Zangpo 6
Ex Judge Waymon Fredic Axley Sat Calhoon Mayes 2
Murder back in the 70s (Jul '07) Apr 30 Harleybigd 230
Prom Dress Code Apr 29 ThomasA 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Memphis Mortgages