Shelby County Penal Farm

Posted in the Memphis Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Glad I moved

Ozark, MO

#1 Feb 28, 2010
Did you see the Discovery show about the Penal Farm? What an embarrassment for Memphis. The inmates were running things, showing off their pot, pills and other contraband. The Guards were kissing the rears of the head gang members and "showing them respect". What a JOKE! I wish I was the County Mayor, after the credits rolled on that program, I would have FIRED the warden and the dip stick guards on the show!
mammyfiss

United States

#2 Mar 1, 2010
what do you expect out of the morons of the place ?? the place is a joke always has been, will continue to be ! just MOVE and leave these idiots right where they are !
I agree

Ozark, MO

#3 Mar 1, 2010
Well, you are right, let the trash thugs stay in Memfrika and then after time it will implode, due to the self destructive nature if the hood.
missketa

Memphis, TN

#4 Mar 2, 2010
Saw it and it was such an embarrassment
mcgiver

Collierville, TN

#5 Mar 3, 2010
Did it come on lock up or a different program?
Glad I moved

Ozark, MO

#6 Mar 3, 2010
It was either Discovery or A&E. You can check their web page, and probably see the video. It was a reinforcing factor as to why I bailed out of Memphis.
fugitive

AOL

#7 Mar 4, 2010
heck....I have been there and it is a joke!! I have done time in Parchman and North Carolina, and those are real prisons...I don't know what to call the Shelby County Penal Farm, but I do know it is not a deterrent to crime...It is like an oversized adult day care center. And as far as supevision is concerned, Mr. Walker is a joke...He is definately not correctional material, and has ties to the gang members incarcerated there. He is one of the most prejudiced people I have ever met.
Here Queer and Proud

Jonesboro, AR

#8 Mar 4, 2010
I went. I'm a gay man. Loved it. I got met this beautiful man named Tony. We got to workout together and be together everyday. It was super fabulous! I missed it when I was released. Tony has since told me he'll still be with me when he gets out but I know he's a lying no good two-timing male whore. But the stay was super!
Should be tore down

Libertyville, IL

#9 Apr 19, 2010
My husband is lcoked up there and based onwhat he tells me it IS an adult daycare! The guards are biased and like any other prison, abuse their authority. He is near his release date and it seems as if their plan is to have him stay there by being written up for frivolous things. There should be more programs implemented there that are positive and encouraging. Carpentry or whatever real life skills that can be used to become more productive. Seems easier to get contraband in than books!
louis

United States

#10 Aug 12, 2010
I agree wrote:
Well, you are right, let the trash thugs stay in Memfrika and then after time it will implode, due to the self destructive nature if the hood.

dont talk about what you dont know im 18 years old and about to go there for a vandalism i didnt do and because i got caught with weed ... big deal i smoke weed deoesnt mean im trash so stfu

“ the drunk is in(carcerated) ”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#12 Aug 20, 2010
Been there, done that
FREE

Collierville, TN

#13 Feb 2, 2011
I just was relased from there. Its a joke, Dont know how it is supposed to rehabilitate a person whatsoever. Most the people in there just want to get out to return to the life they were living. there is people there for 30 days for having a joint while 10 days for robbery or violent crimes??? Memphis is a cash city, the poverty and the ignorance is a problem able to be fixed but ignored and blame placed everywhere but What it really is. Thats why the tensions are so high in Memphis, not because of race etc etc but because of how the city governs itself. In the penal farm there were people sneaking in drugs; weed, pills, even crack!! There was a fight in the middle of the night which the guard replied, "we dont care if yall kill each other, just fill out an incident report". There is no organization to this place and they start way too late to try and reinforce crime if they do whatsoever. I had to do a treatment before entering the penal farm and the treatment much like jail was SO much better for deterring past behaviors. Memphis is oppressed to give out money to defendants for this benefit... i wonder why. The jails are so overcrowded they are shipping people in and out as fast as they can! With all the money they are making, why is this city such a crudhole!
dorian gray

Memphis, TN

#14 Feb 5, 2011
as a former correctional oficer there at the penal farm i must say that plac is jus tran the wrong way.. i smugled drugs in myuself and regret it but they should pay officers more.,. soo many scared gurads in there that the inmates run the place.. jus sad
TigerDiva

United States

#16 Apr 18, 2011
For the guy who said we r all trash,like dude said,stfu u cant judge every1 off of a damn video. alot of prisons r ran by the damn inmates so the penal ffarm is no acception!! i really dnt care how its ran cuz im not a criminal and will never see the inside of the penal farm...i luv my city tho so fuk u if u dont... like jeezy said I PUT ON 4 MY CITY
Smarter Than Any of You

Cordova, TN

#17 Jun 27, 2011
Thugs w/ mugs. Prisons are not built to rehab inmates. We have known this for a 1,000 years that you can't rehab thugs, punks and offenders. The Penal Farm has had a lot of rehab programs over the years, they all failed because thugs and felons, DUI to murder to weed heads and crack heads don't want to change. Prison is only a form of punishment and the good people of TN have to mange these God less thugs and punks.
meghan foard

United States

#19 Jul 23, 2011
Here Queer and Proud wrote:
I went. I'm a gay man. Loved it. I got met this beautiful man named Tony. We got to workout together and be together everyday. It was super fabulous! I missed it when I was released. Tony has since told me he'll still be with me when he gets out but I know he's a lying no good two-timing male whore. But the stay was super!
If you are trying to promote the prison you are certainly FAILING!
memyselfani

Memphis, TN

#20 Jul 23, 2011
Hahhahhah -too effin funny.I almost ran into a telephone pole reading this on my computer.Oh wait -you are kidding right?
cracker

Stanton, TN

#21 Sep 23, 2011
ignorant. ignorant. ignorant. ignorant. big deal you smoke weed. Well, smart ass, it's illegal. Point taken, youre going to jail. clearly, you've been there once or twice.. since youre 18 years old. get an education.
louis wrote:
<quoted text>
dont talk about what you dont know im 18 years old and about to go there for a vandalism i didnt do and because i got caught with weed ... big deal i smoke weed deoesnt mean im trash so stfu
The Real Question

Newport, TN

#22 Sep 24, 2011
How many people does it take to keep one prisoner incarcerated and then how many people to give after jail support? Prisoners and a penal system is a MultiBillion dollar business in Shelby County. The people in charge need repeat customers to keep the law enforcement, judicial, corrections, social entitlements and mental health care providers gainfully employed. Law Breakers are big business without those jobs in Shelby county one could expect a minority un employment rate of 50 percent or more.
teddieboy

Indianapolis, IN

#23 Feb 4, 2013
blah blah blah. look people make mistakes baised on they way there were raised and the enviorment theyre in but can change ion jus belive that prison is for every offender but on the contrary it does help

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Memphis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 8 hr Justice For All 21,042
The Pony Tue Molly 1
Strip Clubs in Memphis (Jan '09) Tue Molly 194
Memphis street outlaws May 22 john 9
Memphis gangs (Oct '16) May 22 Defeat Maxine Wat... 5
lynching of Ell Persons May 21 guest 1
Allergy Sufferers May 21 Sneezy 1

Memphis Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Memphis Mortgages