Does Memphis suck?
First Prev
of 16
Next Last
Jason Hodges

Smithville, TN

#1 Nov 5, 2010
I lived in Memphis for nearly 50 years. I was born there, educated there and worked there from 1981-2007.

My Whitehaven neighborhood used to be a decent place to live. It never was a ritzy or fancy neighborhood but it was quiet, calm, the neighbors all knew each other and there was no fear about walking around at night.

All of that started to change in the late seventies.

It worsened in the eighties and the nineties and really took a downhill slide when section 8 residents began to move in.

I have never seen such a vile group of people who had no respect for the neighbors, the neighbor hood or even themselves.

I stayed as long as I could but the trash finally drove me away.

How many more people are going to flee Memphis for other Tennessee counties and Mississippi before the powers that run the city wake up and realize that no one wants to live in a toilet?
yesitSUCKS

United States

#3 Nov 6, 2010
lived in Gtown for years, enjoyed my profession but the people are some of the most stupid and backward of any that I have met having lived in many different cities ! it doesn't matter if they are black, white yellow or green, these people don't have a clue !!

schools suck, drivers suck, food sucks, shopping sucks, race relations suck, politics suck, politicians suck, teachers suck, principals suck, planning sucks, entertainment sucks, airline service sucks, Mississippi sucks and is too close, its image sucks, crime sucks, attitudes suck

should I go on ?

yes, the place sucks hiney
Jason Hodges

Smithville, TN

#4 Nov 6, 2010
yesitSUCKS wrote:
lived in Gtown for years, enjoyed my profession but the people are some of the most stupid and backward of any that I have met having lived in many different cities ! it doesn't matter if they are black, white yellow or green, these people don't have a clue !!
schools suck, drivers suck, food sucks, shopping sucks, race relations suck, politics suck, politicians suck, teachers suck, principals suck, planning sucks, entertainment sucks, airline service sucks, Mississippi sucks and is too close, its image sucks, crime sucks, attitudes suck
should I go on ?
yes, the place sucks hiney
I lived near Germantown at one time, not too far from Poplar and Kirby Pkwy.
I had better impression of Germantown than I did of Memphis.
At least Germantown was clean and I always felt safe when I was there.
Memphis, at one time, was considered a nice place to live.
Several times it was given the honor of being "America's cleanest city", lol!
It wasn't so bad in the 60's/70's but perhaps I was seeing it through a young person's eyes.
I visit Memphis about twice a year and I am saddened by its declining state.
Matt

Saltillo, MS

#5 Nov 6, 2010
Jason Hodges wrote:
I lived in Memphis for nearly 50 years. I was born there, educated there and worked there from 1981-2007.
My Whitehaven neighborhood used to be a decent place to live. It never was a ritzy or fancy neighborhood but it was quiet, calm, the neighbors all knew each other and there was no fear about walking around at night.
All of that started to change in the late seventies.
It worsened in the eighties and the nineties and really took a downhill slide when section 8 residents began to move in.
I have never seen such a vile group of people who had no respect for the neighbors, the neighbor hood or even themselves.
I stayed as long as I could but the trash finally drove me away.
How many more people are going to flee Memphis for other Tennessee counties and Mississippi before the powers that run the city wake up and realize that no one wants to live in a toilet?
The only people left in memphis are ghetto thugs. Unfortunately memphis will share the same fate as detroit. A nice solution for both....a big ol' bulldozer!
Jason Hodges

Smithville, TN

#6 Nov 6, 2010
Matt wrote:
<quoted text>
The only people left in memphis are ghetto thugs. Unfortunately memphis will share the same fate as detroit. A nice solution for both....a big ol' bulldozer!
I've heard that people in Memphis are hoping for change and improvement now that Hereneton is finally out of office.

Willie Herenton was the worst thing to happen to Memphis since the murder of Dr. King.
yesitSUCKS

United States

#7 Nov 7, 2010
Herenton was not the whole problem believe me, the place SUCKED even with BOSS CRUMP, CHANDLER, and that freekin idiot Richard Hackett !!! and all these guys were white

Hackett was the biggest dummie in the world, and Memphis declined under his alleged leadership as well

the worst things and still are, racism, stupidity, white flight, undereducation, and indifference

the racial makeup of the city as little to do with its lack of progression ! try looking at horrible schools and standards for generations

and stupid whites that actually think they can avoid living around blacks, so they clumsily constantly run out tripping over each other LOL
believing they don't have to deal with, see, or interact with blacks and other groups

Memphis idiots should blame themselves for the area's failure !'running' across the border to bedroom communities in North Mississippi is laughable too since the state of Mississippi has one of the highest concentration of blacks in the United States of America ! LOL or the whites started running to Cordova LOL....that didn't work, so now they run run run again to places in Fayette county and beyond ! now Collierville, Eads, Arlington etc straight down I40 ! I guess the next run will be all the way to Jackson tn, where the runningman will again be greeted with just another hefty black population as well !! lol when will these people learn ??? well probably NEVER

that's why the place SUCKS and wil suck until the cows come home
Matt

Saltillo, MS

#8 Nov 7, 2010
It's very easy to get away from blacks, but it won't happen by moving within 50 miles of memphrica. There are nice areas in East TN such as Sevierville TN that has only 1.2% percent black and the lowest property tax in TN. A piece of heaven on earth....no jungle behavior here. Now for the first time since leaving memphrica, I'm proud to be an American and thank GOD everyday for allowing me to escape that crime infested war zone and to be far away from you black primate savages.
NoName

Portsmouth, VA

#9 Nov 9, 2010
Always about race
grow up

United States

#10 Nov 11, 2010
yep, you're right, it's always about race and racism in Memphis, just read some of the Kluxer white crap,, and the ghetto black crap

just stay away from that hole people ! it's not like this in so many other cities in America ! there are, really, some intelligent people in the USA, but no many in Memphis USA, and that's why it sucks no doubt
xdfg

Paris, TN

#11 Nov 11, 2010
yep
lived there

Farmington, MI

#12 Nov 15, 2010
does it suck ???

YES !! don't do it, don't ever move there you will regret it, and it's not a black thing, or a white thing, it's a stupid thing ! these people like being behind the rest of the country ! you have to shift your mental gears back to 25-40 years ago, and that's my thought having lived there from the 80s to mid 2000s

screw that place

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#13 Nov 15, 2010
lived there wrote:
does it suck ???
YES !! don't do it, don't ever move there you will regret it, and it's not a black thing, or a white thing, it's a stupid thing ! these people like being behind the rest of the country ! you have to shift your mental gears back to 25-40 years ago, and that's my thought having lived there from the 80s to mid 2000s
screw that place
I agree with you. But Its pretty racist here and people are living in the pass. I have experiences this on many occasions. I live in Cordova and I really hate Memphis and this place too. Too much violence, crimes, and hate. I'm moving to ireland in may11.
Memphian

United States

#14 Nov 15, 2010
why do so many people then LIE about how freekin competitive Memphis supposedly IS ?? and if a person criticizes Memphis people become irrational and think that the criticizer has some sort of vendetta against Mem, as opposed to just telling the truth ??

my experience with Memphis is that the place is laughable even when compared to the state's capital, Nashville ! and I've never met anyone that lives in Knoxville that ever has anything decent to say about a sister city of Memphis

wonder why that is ?
I got out

United States

#15 Nov 18, 2010
Memphis used to be be a great city to live in, but just like Detroit, the blacks took over and ruined it for everyone. Blacks like to congregate around big cities. They bring drugs, violence, and ignorance with them when they come. They see a beautiful city, and say to themselves, we are gonna take that away from you whities. They take and take and take and never put anything back. Herenton was the straw that broke the camels back. He put so many black people in public offices, and now look what is happening. Almost all of them are up on some kind of embezzling charges. Most blacks have no morals or decency about them. They don't have a conscience about stealing from the taxpayers, they don't even believe in marriage anymore, just pumping out more babies so that they can get more welfare and food stamps which they sell on the streets for drug money.

If you look real close and think about it, drugs and gambling is the true problem. Memphis has deteriorated at a rapid pace since the casinos were brought into Tunica Co. The casinos have bankrupted a lot of good people and businesses. The blacks, and some low-life whites, have brought in drugs by the truck loads and have taught our kids that doing drugs is cool. Parents on drugs offer no guidance for the children, rather, let them run the streets and fin for themselves. Especially in the black neighborhoods. Drugs are sucking America dry. The drug cartel is bringing in the drugs, and taking our money back to Mexico. It won't be long, before they will have all of America's wealth, as people get stupider and stupider by thinking that they have to have drugs in order to cope with life. Drugs are killing lots of businesses. For every crack rock that is sold, that is about 4 beers that the bars and restaurants are not selling. People on drugs can't afford anything else but the drugs. Why should people eat out at our restaurants, when they can go to the casinos and eat free and drink free and only have to spend a little money pretending that they are gambling?

Memphis used to be beautiful, but if you just drive through Whitehaven, Frayser, Raliegh, and Hickory Hood, you will see nothing but trashy properties with a drug dealer or a prostitute on every corner. These are predominately black neighborhoods. Now with this said, you tell me who is trashing the city of Memphis. Yes, that is right, the blacks. I moved out of Memphis 11 years ago, but the city I moved to has become just as black infested as Memphis in the last 5 years. They ruin every city that they can. Most blacks are trashy, filthy people with no morals, self-respect, dignity, or education. Selling drugs, so that they don't have to work, is more important to the majority of them then getting an education and becoming a productive member of society.

It is a crying shame that there is nothing that can be done about the drug problem that the U.S. is facing now days. Our government needs to bring our troops home and let them fight this drug war that is going right here in our own country. I think that the U.S. should buy a deserted island and put all drug offenders on it to waller in their own ignorance. Hell, that is how Australia became populated. Other countries used to send their criminals to Australia to get rid of them. If America would stand up to this problem and let them know that if you want to live here, that you have to live the right way, the problem would soon go away. But corruption in politics is the problem with that. Most politicians have their hands in the drug business. Not to mention the dirty ass police officers out there. We fight a losing battle with this drug problem. Hell, no one even wants to go to Beale Street anymore because of all of the black bums on the streets.

Memphis will never be the same, so I say, get out and let the blacks live in the ruins that they have created for themselves. Without the help of the whites, they will surely fail. Sad Sad Sad!
Johnny Ryall

United States

#16 Nov 20, 2010
Memphis sucks a big one for sure, I've lived in Memphis for a while and I try to stick up for it, but it's impossible

“Everybody Dies...”

Since: Jan 10

...But not Everybody Lives.

#17 Nov 21, 2010
Memphis sucks. Yeah we all know crime is bad everything, but this is has got to be one of the most undiverse "big" cities I've ever spent an extended amount of time in. The only hope around here is midtown. Sometimes it seems like nobody has a clue about the other side.
Everybody wants to blame "most blacks" but it may serve humanity well if you take a look in the mirror as well. White people in other parts are waay more cooler than many of you guys.
When I read the posts from whites around here and compare then to white posters from other parts of the country, it seems that others are way more informed than the ones around here, even the ones that I don't agree with. On occassion I do find a highly intelligent poster around here, it is truly like finding a four leaved clover.
Post #15 is so clueless that I don't know where to begin. I started off replying but I said it wasn't worth it.
pearlbob

United States

#18 Nov 21, 2010
I'm a dyke in Memphis (Midtown), I'm from a relatively small Iowa town, and yes Memphis sucksit, and not in a good way

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#19 Nov 22, 2010
Lalabratz wrote:
<quoted text> I agree with you. But Its pretty racist here and people are living in the pass. I have experiences this on many occasions. I live in Cordova and I really hate Memphis and this place too. Too much violence, crimes, and hate. I'm moving to ireland in may11.
Memphis by far is one of the worst cities, even though RE prices are decent, the quality of life, amenities etc aren't even as good as Nashville. Pass on this adventure !
I got out

United States

#20 Nov 23, 2010
Drunken Masta wrote:
Memphis sucks. Yeah we all know crime is bad everything, but this is has got to be one of the most undiverse "big" cities I've ever spent an extended amount of time in. The only hope around here is midtown. Sometimes it seems like nobody has a clue about the other side.
Everybody wants to blame "most blacks" but it may serve humanity well if you take a look in the mirror as well. White people in other parts are waay more cooler than many of you guys.
When I read the posts from whites around here and compare then to white posters from other parts of the country, it seems that others are way more informed than the ones around here, even the ones that I don't agree with. On occassion I do find a highly intelligent poster around here, it is truly like finding a four leaved clover.
Post #15 is so clueless that I don't know where to begin. I started off replying but I said it wasn't worth it.
I am poster #15, and it seems to me that you are the one who is completely clueless. When you walk around with blinders on, you don't see much. My eyes are wide open and I call it like I see it. The damned blacks have destroyed Memphis, plain and simple. They are so ignorant and immoral, that they have ran the decent people, white and black, out of the city. Do you think that we like to work or asses off every day just so some lazy blacks can get another welfare check and some more food stamps while pumping out baby after baby that they can't afford to take care of. They are a drain on the city, government and society. My neighborhood has become filled with hard working decent black people who are running from their own race. When the COGIC people refuse to have their convention in Memphis, and they are black people, because of the black vagrants here preying on them, don't that tell you something about the city and just how bad it has become? It doesn't have anything to do with whether you are white or not, the attitudes come from the people being sick and tired of being sponged off of. It is not this way in other parts of the country, and of course the attitudes will be different from those posters who don't live here. You are obviously not from here. Hang around about 10 or 20 years, and your attitude will change too. That is unless you are black and have the same, you owe me something, mentality that the blacks who live here have. Enough is enough, and so the good people just gave up and left them to rot in their own ruins that they have created. Much like Detroit. Hell, look at the schools. There is not a day that goes by that you don't hear about a black kid bringing a gun or some kind of weapon or drugs to school. Just goes to show you that the blacks are ignorant and immoral and just don't give a crap about rules or the law. The blacks need to clean up their act, stop wearing saggy pants, get a job and an education and clean up their environment. If they weren't so disgustingly nasty and vial, then the whites and good blacks wouldn't mind living among them. Call me racist if you so please, but in the south, the most racist of them all are the black people. Every time black people don't get their way, they try and play that race card and call in that dumb ass Al Sharpton. Get a clue black people this 2010, you have your rights and equality, now stand up and be a productive member of society and quit depending on the white people to make you a living.

You, Drunken Masta, just don't have a clue about what is going on in Memphis.

“Everybody Dies...”

Since: Jan 10

...But not Everybody Lives.

#21 Nov 24, 2010
I got out wrote:
<quoted text>I am poster #15, and it seems to me that you are the one who is completely clueless. When you walk around with blinders on, you don't see much. My eyes are wide open and I call it like I see it. The damned blacks have destroyed Memphis, plain and simple. They are so ignorant and immoral, that they have ran the decent people, white and black, out of the city. Do you think that we like to work or asses off every day just so some lazy blacks can get another welfare check and some more food stamps while pumping out baby after baby that they can't afford to take care of. They are a drain on the city, government and society. My neighborhood has become filled with hard working decent black people who are running from their own race. When the COGIC people refuse to have their convention in Memphis, and they are black people, because of the black vagrants here preying on them, don't that tell you something about the city and just how bad it has become? It doesn't have anything to do with whether you are white or not, the attitudes come from the people being sick and tired of being sponged off of. It is not this way in other parts of the country, and of course the attitudes will be different from those posters who don't live here. You are obviously not from here. Hang around about 10 or 20 years, and your attitude will change too. That is unless you are black and have the same, you owe me something, mentality that the blacks who live here have. Enough is enough, and so the good people just gave up and left them to rot in their own ruins that they have created. Much like Detroit. Hell, look at the schools. There is not a day that goes by that you don't hear about a black kid bringing a gun or some kind of weapon or drugs to school. Just goes to show you that the blacks are ignorant and immoral and just don't give a crap about rules or the law. The blacks need to clean up their act, stop wearing saggy pants, get a job and an education and clean up their environment. If they weren't so disgustingly nasty and vial, then the whites and good blacks wouldn't mind living among them. Call me racist if you so please, but in the south, the most racist of them all are the black people. Every time black people don't get their way, they try and play that race card and call in that dumb ass Al Sharpton. Get a clue black people this 2010, you have your rights and equality, now stand up and be a productive member of society and quit depending on the white people to make you a living.
You, Drunken Masta, just don't have a clue about what is going on in Memphis.
This is my place marker. Hold that thought...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 16
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Memphis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lost connection .. please help 5 hr Nicole 1
Looking for a full body Asian massage parlor (Sep '16) 17 hr Tim 6
Jackson, TN police Wed amber 1
nead loan shark or good christian to loan Wed Pinochio Knows 2
Memphis Public Golf Courses in the 60's-70's Mon Tom 3
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) Jul 17 observer 20,964
Franklin Graham Crusade, Teachers Of False Doct... Jul 15 Bang anarab 8

Memphis Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Memphis Mortgages