Iraq veteran says fall in LIRR gap ru...

Iraq veteran says fall in LIRR gap ruined his health

There are 90 comments on the Newsday story from May 28, 2008, titled Iraq veteran says fall in LIRR gap ruined his health. In it, Newsday reports that:

When National Guardsman Timothy Sample returned home to Hempstead in 2005 after surviving two tours of duty in Iraq without injury, he felt fortunate.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
JLP

Spring Valley, NY

#1 May 28, 2008
Wa wa wa... too many complaints
Newsday Phucknblows

Pelham, NY

#2 May 28, 2008
Pull your head out of yourass and watch what is going on. Just trying to suck another nipple.
Ridiculous

United States

#3 May 28, 2008
If you can't step over a 6-12 inch gap....perhaps you should never leave your house...I'm amazed he made it 46 years....

The LIRR currently has a yearly ridership of approx. 80 million riders. The main line of the train was completed and started running to Hicksville in 1837. By 1880 all the branches were complete.

So for over 100 years over 50 billion riders successfully navigated these "gaps"...Now, recently about 10 people fall through a 9 inch "gap" and they demand compensation.
Barry_LIRR_Boy

Butler, NJ

#4 May 28, 2008
This dude is going to be a subway conductor? Hopefully, he will do better with tighter clearances in NYC.
Sue Sue Sue

United States

#5 May 28, 2008
I once fell on a concrete road in my town and I scraped my knee...

Can I sue the town for making the road out of such a hard substance? They should at least put rubber mats and cushions everywhere so it never happens again....
What

United States

#6 May 28, 2008
Isn't this like suing the town after carelessly walking into a street lamp?
Don't you have a responsibility to watch where your going.
FREE MAN

San Diego, CA

#7 May 28, 2008
HE WAS PUSH BY BUSH. lol
Bite Me

Brooklyn, NY

#8 May 28, 2008
Ridiculous wrote:
If you can't step over a 6-12 inch gap....perhaps you should never leave your house...I'm amazed he made it 46 years....
The LIRR currently has a yearly ridership of approx. 80 million riders. The main line of the train was completed and started running to Hicksville in 1837. By 1880 all the branches were complete.
So for over 100 years over 50 billion riders successfully navigated these "gaps"...Now, recently about 10 people fall through a 9 inch "gap" and they demand compensation.
"I'm amazed he made it 46 years...."

More amazing is how he made it through 2 tours in Iraq.

I can see if you're deaf and can't hear the audible warnings or blind and can't see the visual warnings but you've got to be either a clumsy oaf or not paying attention to fall into the LIRR gap.
Geez

Bronx, NY

#9 May 28, 2008
This sounds like a great case. And Newsday is helping him make it. 2 tours in Iraq and he can't navigate a 9 inch gap??? Since he is an MTA employee and takes the train everyday I would think he would be aware of the dreaded 'gap'. So aware, and being an MTA union employee(scams like this seem to run rampant in the MTA union brotherhood), that he would know how he could take advantage of the 'gap' gravy train.

My leg fell into the gap once. Before I took the train everyday for 8 years. I turned around to talk to someone and stepped in. I scraped my leg. It hurt, but I felt like a moron because of it and I felt fine in a couple of days.

THis sounds like a manufacutred diagnosis. Like what I used to hear when I worked as a personal injury rep. Unexplained pain and injury that does not jive with the incident.

Nice touch with the 2 tours in Iraq. His attorney's eyes must have lit up when he heard that - with dollar signs. Makes a great story, but that is it - a story. We owe a debt of gratitude for his service to his country. But, we do not owe him for this frivilous lawsuit.
Whats the point

United States

#10 May 28, 2008
"Iraq veteran says fall in LIRR gap ruined his health"

Why does it matter that he's a veteran?

Seems completely irrelevant... unless Newsday is trying to make the point that IRAQ is safer than Long Island (which wouldn't be that far- fetched based on what's going on in our neighborhoods lately).
gone from LI

Scottsdale, AZ

#11 May 28, 2008
Sorry for the Vet. Perhaps he should have "minded the gap". Now he tries to win his personal Lottery at the expense of the citizens.
And some skell lawyer will take the case and the MTA will probably offer an out of court settlement at citizen expense.
Stradivarius

Springfield, VA

#12 May 28, 2008
Whats the point wrote:
Why does it matter that he's a veteran?
Because then his lawyer can use the "Cue the Violins" defense.
Hix

Armonk, NY

#13 May 28, 2008
This is a railroad employee. Obviously he should have known to be careful of the gap. Common sense. Not worthy of suing for. If anything, sue your parents for not teaching you common sense.
Ryan

Passaic, NJ

#14 May 29, 2008
Wow, Newsday, give it up already.
The gap is NOT a story.
John

Wantagh, NY

#15 May 29, 2008
Hix wrote:
This is a railroad employee. Obviously he should have known to be careful of the gap. Common sense. Not worthy of suing for. If anything, sue your parents for not teaching you common sense.
He works for the Subway not the LIRR. Newsday is a joke with this. When are they going to give it a rest. Must be a slow news day on the island. The only criminal action is by the guy with the lawsuit...the ambulance chaser of a lawyer...and of course Newsday for doing anything it can to try and keep its vendetta against the LIRR and sensational and exagerated "dangers" of the gap in its paper.
red white and blue

AOL

#16 May 29, 2008
The problem with this, is that these steps on safety should have been performed many years ago, so the LIRR would not have to face these lawsuits!
roger

Hartsdale, NY

#17 May 29, 2008
lets sound the BS whistle... this guy is a waste of space. oh by the way, did you hear he is an iraq war vet?
Better Yet

Old Bridge, NJ

#19 May 29, 2008
gone from LI wrote:
Sorry for the Vet. Perhaps he should have "minded the gap". Now he tries to win his personal Lottery at the expense of the citizens.
And some skell lawyer will take the case and the MTA will probably offer an out of court settlement at citizen expense.
Will anyone complain about him "double dipping" from the public trough between Vet benefits and a lawsuit?
If he were a teacher or a school administrator, forget it.
Bangkok Bill

Bangkok, Thailand

#20 May 29, 2008
Why not sue he is a loser in life.
Death Race

Brooklyn, NY

#21 May 29, 2008
National Guardsman arenít very bright. He survived two tours of supplying water to the real soldiers. Iím surprised he didnít fall into a water tank and drown.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Melville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 2 Teens Arrested for Copiague Murder (Apr '10) 2 hr wizard of ZOG 13
News Cutting of pastor's role called 'vindictive' (Oct '08) 7 hr Biggly Bruser PLA... 9,001
News Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) 8 hr Big Bruser 2,954
Christmas Light Display in North Lindenhurst, L... (Dec '10) Sun C Kersey 2
News Syosset Teacher Charged With Endangering Student (Jan '10) Dec 8 THIS DUDE IS MY T... 19
News Christopher and Bruce Cornett at a former baseb... Dec 6 free money from Sam 1
CPS-The Crazy Police State Dec 1 PlaguesPlaguesPla... 3

Melville Jobs

Personal Finance

Melville Mortgages