Congressmen: put police patrollers ba...

Congressmen: put police patrollers back on LIE

There are 175 comments on the Newsday story from Oct 21, 2008, titled Congressmen: put police patrollers back on LIE. In it, Newsday reports that:

Suffolk County is better off with police officers patrolling Sunrise Highway and the Long Island Expressway than with deputy sheriffs, the county's Democratic congressmen said yesterday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

here come the negaholics

Jersey City, NJ

#147 Oct 24, 2008
Suffolk County Cops and teachers - the perfect Long Island couple. Let's call their children the r a p e of Long Island society and blame them all for our problems.
County Resident

New York, NY

#148 Oct 24, 2008
PETEF wrote:
<quoted text>
Judging from the brevity of your post, I am glad to see you had enough energy to post before you dozed off.
Sorry Pete, but I;m going to have to agree with him. Get a hobby. Another one.
Go Steve

Bronx, NY

#149 Oct 24, 2008
here come the negaholics wrote:
Suffolk County Cops and teachers - the perfect Long Island couple. Let's call their children the r a p e of Long Island society and blame them all for our problems.
Guess what! We are in a recession, we no longer have the money to pay the insane salaries of the cops and the teachers. The banks are taking the houses and if they think they are going to tax the food off our childrens plates they had better be ready for revolution. They have bled us dry - all that is left is anger and desperation. The age of arrogant uncivil servants is coming to an end.
PETEF

AOL

#150 Oct 24, 2008
County Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry Pete, but I;m going to have to agree with him. Get a hobby. Another one.
Thanx for the advice, but I think I will keep this one. It has kept me busy for quite some time now. And I have as much time as the Good Lord allows me to finish it.

It may interest you to know that the SIL will probably do about another two years. It wouldn't matter to me if he had only 2 hours to do.
Common Sense

Raleigh, NC

#151 Oct 25, 2008
Monday Morning qb s wrote:
<quoted text>
You haven't a clue. Yes they are paid very well and many times aren't on life or death calls. But really should you pay them poorly? Avg life expenctency is 7-10 yrs less on avg. Could it be stress? Nah you think it's the donuts. Moron. Can you tell us that murder story again?
The point is not paying them poorly, but paying them a fair and not ridiculous wage. Providing a pension, but not one that exceeds their base pay. Providing insurance, but not covering everyone in the family at no or little cost. Providing overtime as needed, but not just to provide the overtime so that someone can retire with a large pension.

“Small gov't.Low taxes, Freedom”

Since: Mar 07

Ronkonkoma

#152 Oct 25, 2008
OTJ wrote:
<quoted text>
You have friends and relatives in the SCPD? Holiday get togethers must be fun with your family. Have you had your **** kicked at Thanksgiving dinner yet?
You scored 100 on the test and didn't get called? Liar. More than likely you failed the psych or polygraph or just decided like most who complain about the cops, that you didn't want to give up your nights, holidays, and weekends or take a chance that you might get hurt. Men my wife works with constantly complained about the SCPD, their salaries, etc. She brought in a handful of applications for them and said, "Here you go. It's an open exam." Evey one backed out with comments like, "My wife won't let me, it's too dangerous" or "I don't want to work holidays and weekends." Gone were the comments about salary. When it comes down to put up or shut up, reality sets in. She hasn't heard a negative comment since. So, "average Joe", spare me your outrage over what a cop might make.
\

You haven't got a clue what you're talking about.

I took the test in 1988. I got 100 on the written exam, I was NOT called. At the time my only chance of getting called was if my name was Tyrone or Latrell or Migdalia Espinoza.

I am an RN - I DO work nights weekends and Holidays all the time. and I have more danger of being hurt, or assaulted at my job than a cop does.

I have nothing against honest cops who do the job to serve the public Like my father and my cousin and my friends who are on the force.

What I will not tolerate is someone making a six figure income whining because they lost a few hours of OT.

You can buy the B $ if you like. But there is Nothing detrimental about the SCSD taking over patrol of the highways in question and in fact it should make everyone happy that there is a greater SCPD presence on county roads.
baddabing

Brooklyn, NY

#153 Oct 25, 2008
Common Sense wrote:
<quoted text>
The point is not paying them poorly, but paying them a fair and not ridiculous wage. Providing a pension, but not one that exceeds their base pay. Providing insurance, but not covering everyone in the family at no or little cost. Providing overtime as needed, but not just to provide the overtime so that someone can retire with a large pension.
Take stroll through Wyandanch and find out out how many people have health coverage at little or no cost.
baddabing

Brooklyn, NY

#154 Oct 25, 2008
Whiny people. "Cops make too much money, they get bennies, this that and the other, Blah, blah......You're the same people who give the store away to welfare receiptians, section 8 and all the public benefits that go with it.... Able bodied 18 year olds collecting benefits for ADHD, betting on Playstation and robbing to pay off the debts. Drug dealers collecting benefits because they got shot in a "transaction", and still dealing.Nobody has issues with any that stuff right? Newsflash.... The $1.50 per day you pay for police protection is not killing you.
ChristmasTree

United States

#155 Oct 25, 2008
OK guys, what happened to the issue here? It's NOT about the pay difference between SCPD and the deputies, or who didn't make it into the police academy, or OT, or social justice, it's about Albany putting it to ALL the Long Island taxpayers, period! THAT IS THE ISSUE, NOTHING ELSE!! Anyone who has the time to post here can easily email their NYS legislator and complain about our tax money NOT being used for NYS troopers on Rt.495, when they are already here, as I posted.
bias is showing

Bronx, NY

#156 Oct 25, 2008
It's just pure police hatred. When less then 40% of their county tax's are for police ( including sheriff's and all Law Enf in county ) goes to public saftey they think that cutting their pay in half will make a that big a differnece to them.
Again 100$ cell phones, 150$ cable, 200 $ car ins , 500 to 1000+$ school taxes , 70-80$ police , 50 $ garbage, 40 $ library and the devestate the cops for their ruination.
So I ask you. Who's really ripping you off for their services. i know the cops, yada yada yada.

Ronkonkoma

#157 Oct 25, 2008
<quoted text>
Run the county? No, it seems they just wanted to patrol the road they were patrolling for 48 years.
Take the test. NYPD is open competitive and pays 90k w/out at top step. They are desperate for people willing to be cops. Go for it. If your lucky and good you might even make SCPD and sleep at the firehouse all night with last bovard rights who's his face.
You haven't a clue. Yes they are paid very well and many times aren't on life or death calls. But really should you pay them poorly? Avg life expenctency is 7-10 yrs less on avg. Could it be stress? Nah you think it's the donuts. Moron. Can you tell us that murder story again?
Right, because the cops give a crap which road they patrol. As if it has any importance whatsoever.

They are state roads and they should be patrolled by state police just like every other county in the state.

You should get your story straight too, I wasn't talking about cops sleeping at the firehouse parking lot (which they do)I was talking about the ones sleeping in the chairs next to the "suspects" who are in their hospital bed after an accident they've been arrested for.

Ronkonkoma

#158 Oct 25, 2008
ChristmasTree wrote:
OK guys, what happened to the issue here? It's NOT about the pay difference between SCPD and the deputies, or who didn't make it into the police academy, or OT, or social justice, it's about Albany putting it to ALL the Long Island taxpayers, period! THAT IS THE ISSUE, NOTHING ELSE!! Anyone who has the time to post here can easily email their NYS legislator and complain about our tax money NOT being used for NYS troopers on Rt.495, when they are already here, as I posted.
AH, finally, someone with a functioning cerebrum.
You AlmostHadMeThere

New York, NY

#159 Oct 26, 2008
Bovard says: "I am an RN - I DO work nights weekends and Holidays all the time. and I have more danger of being hurt, or assaulted at my job than a cop does."

Mr. Bovard,
I always respected your literate and somewhat logical arguments in the preceeding thread, even though I disagree with many of your facts. I just attributed it to your unfamiliararity to the subject of law enforcement. But an RN's job being more dangerous than a cop's? Sounds like someone got into the morphine cabinet again.
ChristmasTree

New Hyde Park, NY

#160 Oct 26, 2008
"Like a voice crying in the wilderness"..Why can't the NYS Troopers police Rte.495???Simple question, NO ANSWER!!

Ronkonkoma

#162 Oct 26, 2008
You AlmostHadMeThere wrote:
Bovard says: "I am an RN - I DO work nights weekends and Holidays all the time. and I have more danger of being hurt, or assaulted at my job than a cop does."
Mr. Bovard,
I always respected your literate and somewhat logical arguments in the preceeding thread, even though I disagree with many of your facts. I just attributed it to your unfamiliararity to the subject of law enforcement. But an RN's job being more dangerous than a cop's? Sounds like someone got into the morphine cabinet again.
SO the literal translation of your post is:

I have nothing to contribute since I'm a whining union hack so I'll attack LRJB on a personal level to distract everyone form the fact that I'm clueless.

Ronkonkoma

#163 Oct 26, 2008
ChristmasTree wrote:
"Like a voice crying in the wilderness"..Why can't the NYS Troopers police Rte.495???Simple question, NO ANSWER!!
Sure there's an answer. Suffolk's been picking up the tab for 48 years so why change now?
PJM

United States

#164 Oct 26, 2008
<quoted text>
Dont you ever come to a cop bashing site and post FACTS. EVER.
All cops are overpaid. Except when you need them to risk their lives. Then they are no better then trash as you go back to your TV show and they go on to the next life/death or sane/insane crisis.
I bet many here never even felt NYPD was underpaid.
I like posting the truth. I have family in the NYPD some active and some retired. I appreciate what they do but, I also know some abuse their power. Just like every other job in the world there are good and bad, and the few bad apples ruin it for the rest.
In the end these state roads should be covered by State Troopers or the state should refund Suffolk County the money it cost SCPD to cover them. There was a big accident last night on Sunrise and the sheriffs looked like they were doing a good job shutting the road down and diverting cars to the service road. Just one suggestion it was hard to see the officers waving their flash lights at the oncoming traffic in the rain. They should have lit some flares.
ChristmasTree

New Hyde Park, NY

#165 Oct 27, 2008
Lost Rights James Bovard wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure there's an answer. Suffolk's been picking up the tab for 48 years so why change now?
Yep, you're right there! Question, how much of our NYS taxes are allocated to the State Police, and where did that money go.....As previously posted, THEY'RE ALREADY ON LONG ISLAND! Why can't they add a few more officers for Rt. 495? Nobody knows, nobody has any answers here. It's like the astronomical "black holes".
American

Bronx, NY

#166 Nov 1, 2008
bias is showing wrote:
It's just pure police hatred. When less then 40% of their county tax's are for police ( including sheriff's and all Law Enf in county ) goes to public saftey they think that cutting their pay in half will make a that big a differnece to them.
Again 100$ cell phones, 150$ cable, 200 $ car ins , 500 to 1000+$ school taxes , 70-80$ police , 50 $ garbage, 40 $ library and the devestate the cops for their ruination.
So I ask you. Who's really ripping you off for their services. i know the cops, yada yada yada.
Listen pal. I earn my money,and I pay my taxes. I am not attached to the government teet. I don't need to be told how to spend my money by a guy who lives in fantasy land. As a taxpayer and a voter it is obvious to me that something is wrong when the cops and the teachers (public employees) are driving around in luxury vehicles and living in expensive neighborhoods. A reasonable middle class existence - yes. Getting rich on the tax payer - NO.

Since: May 07

Massapequa, NY

#168 Nov 6, 2008
American wrote:
<quoted text>
Listen pal. I earn my money,and I pay my taxes. I am not attached to the government teet. I don't need to be told how to spend my money by a guy who lives in fantasy land. As a taxpayer and a voter it is obvious to me that something is wrong when the cops and the teachers (public employees) are driving around in luxury vehicles and living in expensive neighborhoods. A reasonable middle class existence - yes. Getting rich on the tax payer - NO.
Thank god that Levy is going to stop the madness with the SCPD Union. I think they should disband them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Melville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Joseph Nicols D.D. S. *** STAY CLEAR OF HIM *** (Jul '09) 7 hr Severe Pain 29
News Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) 18 hr Bruser 2,822
What Needs to Change in Lindenhurst (Jun '08) Dec 12 Patricia Kaplan 249
What happened to RObert MAyer? (Aug '13) Dec 12 Carolyn 2,110
News 1 pedestrian dead, another hurt in separate acc... Dec 10 Douglas santafe 2
News 41 undocumented immigrants arrested in NY amid ... (Feb '17) Dec 10 Steve Levy 26
News Peter King calls Michael Jackson 'child molester' (Jul '09) Dec 10 Spotted Wee 7,376

Melville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Melville Mortgages