Congressmen: put police patrollers back on LIE

Full story: Newsday 175
Suffolk County is better off with police officers patrolling Sunrise Highway and the Long Island Expressway than with deputy sheriffs, the county's Democratic congressmen said yesterday. Read more
One More Question

Staten Island, NY

#23 Oct 21, 2008
You thought you were an expert on the Ghattis Murder Case when you didn't know waht you were talking about. Now you are a highway patrol expert. When will it end. What will your expertise be in next? It's a shame your son in law is going to put you in an early grave.
PETEF wrote:
The only time u see scpd is between 53 and 55. then u may see them past 56,usually in the HOV lane with their radar guns picking off speeders. You also see many of them talking car to car to car - many times three cars together. Yes, they are doing an outstanding job.
Why don't you see NCPD in the HOV lanes picking off speeders and HOV violators? Because they are out there patrolling the LIE and not doing it the easy way getting their quotas and taking the rest of the day off.
BTW, wasn't there a SCPD sergeant that was home when he was supposed to be supervising his crew on the LIE?
darker

Hawthorne, NJ

#24 Oct 21, 2008
"Suffolk County is better off with police officers patrolling Sunrise Highway and the Long Island Expressway than with deputy sheriffs...". Lack of enough police presence contributes to rampant road rage and dangerous driving on our major highways.

For many years, police patrol of our major highways has been hugely inadequate. It's time to change that and opt for safety for drivers.

Suffolk Police can contribute mightily by patrolling our highway traffic and making highways safer for all!

Since: Apr 08

Monsey, NY

#26 Oct 21, 2008
POLITICS AT IT'S WORST!!!!!!
GO STEVE

Rocky Point, NY

#28 Oct 22, 2008
The SCPD Union along with the teachers union have long been a cause of the economic problems here on Long Island. High taxes brought on by over paid cops and teachers has led to pressure on the middle class and poor performance from the police department and the schools. It is time for a change. The sheriffs are more than competent to handle most police activity on Long Island if necessary. Their salaries are in the range of reasonable for police work on Long Island. Have you ever found it strange that the SCPD officers make almost twice what a NYPD officer makes? The NYPD officer has more than twice the danger and are paid 1/2 the wage. Something is wrong here. Steve Levy is right to be looking out for the tax payers. Israel and Bishop are in the PBA's pocket! Vote against them at the next election. They are on the take and do not have the best interests of the citizens in their hearts. Take on the teachers next - send Steve to Albany as governor!
lag

Sapulpa, OK

#29 Oct 22, 2008
Observer

Astoria, NY

#30 Oct 22, 2008
Meanwhile, while all play politics as usual, citizens are being put at high risk.
Ron

Gaithersburg, MD

#31 Oct 22, 2008

Suffolk county is to Blame for allowing the 100.000Cop.
100,000+ is to much money for traffic cops.
Put the manpower to better use of tax payers money.
stop already

Englewood, CO

#32 Oct 22, 2008
This is what the county politicans have created over the years, overpaid, ego manics,whiney men who believe that highway(and other areas) is their kingdom. Now we have 2 politicans who want to put SCPD back on highway. Where were they a month ago with their grand ideas? It seems to me that they are looking for support from the union. Look i drive the LIE every day to work and I do have to say, I DO see more cops on the roads than ever before. This is all about the arrogance of the SCPD. They took my cookie away and i want it back!!! Be fortunate that you have well paying jobs and for the most part they are secure, you just may have to work in a different area. Stop the crying.
Oh, and by the way it is DEMARCO not dimarco.
connie mack

Albany, NY

#33 Oct 22, 2008
I want my 6 figure salary and the hell with public tax burden!
mook

New York, NY

#34 Oct 22, 2008
How bright do you have to be to see when someone in violating the law? Suffolk county cops get paid to patrol suffolk county not the state highways.Thats the states job.They get paid 100 grand plus benny's to work for the people of suffolk county.They also get to close the LIE for construction projects....what special training do you need to flash your lights for 8 hours? The union gets its dues from the working police officers, the more the cop makes...the more the union makes. Plus I see more sherrifs on the the road than I've ever seen suffolk police and they are never in the same place. It is now time to reduce the amount of suffolk county cops since there appears to be no differenc in crime even with the added police to the community....over paid under worked crybabies
Jerry

Bethpage, NY

#35 Oct 22, 2008
The Sheriffs department is doing an outstanding job. Maybe the Sheriffs department can take over some other SCPD duties.
mook

New York, NY

#36 Oct 22, 2008
Run262 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are stupid. SCPD goes to traffic court on straight time.The midnights are offered overtime if there's 5 separarte motorists sitting there waiting for a hearing.
Stop guessing and providing innuendos or gossip.
well then...if they go on straight time then they are not patroling the highways or the community....no matter how you look at it...its still a waiste of time and money...if they are not giving out tickets on state highways....then they won't be waisting our tax dollors in some court room for 5 hours and that means they will be patroling the streets....as they should be....you make no sence!
mook

New York, NY

#37 Oct 22, 2008
Jerry wrote:
The Sheriffs department is doing an outstanding job. Maybe the Sheriffs department can take over some other SCPD duties.
Agreed!
Aodh

New York, NY

#38 Oct 22, 2008
DiMarco's spokesman, Chief Michael Sharkey, said deputy sheriffs are "doing a fine job" patrolling the LIE and Sunrise Highway.

One of the questions I have is what the hell were these deputies doing before Levy put them on the LIE?

I totally back Levy is saying the state should pay or patrol the LIE but what he is doing is wrong. He is putting politics before the safety of the people. Deputies in Suffolk, as far as I am aware, were used to transport prisoners, serve subpoenas, or perform other mostly civil duties. The are not seasoned or experienced police officers.
S Carton

North Babylon, NY

#39 Oct 22, 2008
GO STEVE wrote:
The SCPD Union along with the teachers union have long been a cause of the economic problems here on Long Island. High taxes brought on by over paid cops and teachers has led to pressure on the middle class and poor performance from the police department and the schools. It is time for a change. The sheriffs are more than competent to handle most police activity on Long Island if necessary. Their salaries are in the range of reasonable for police work on Long Island. Have you ever found it strange that the SCPD officers make almost twice what a NYPD officer makes? The NYPD officer has more than twice the danger and are paid 1/2 the wage. Something is wrong here. Steve Levy is right to be looking out for the tax payers. Israel and Bishop are in the PBA's pocket! Vote against them at the next election. They are on the take and do not have the best interests of the citizens in their hearts. Take on the teachers next - send Steve to Albany as governor!
You're absolutely right. Bishop caved in to the SC PBA. The taxpayers have a leader in Levy.
Cracker

Piscataway, NJ

#40 Oct 22, 2008
Why does a US congressman get involved in a local issue, other than that he is beholden to the scpd union?
John Corey

Waxhaw, NC

#41 Oct 22, 2008
PETEF wrote:
The only time u see scpd is between 53 and 55. then u may see them past 56,usually in the HOV lane with their radar guns picking off speeders. You also see many of them talking car to car to car - many times three cars together. Yes, they are doing an outstanding job.
Why don't you see NCPD in the HOV lanes picking off speeders and HOV violators? Because they are out there patrolling the LIE and not doing it the easy way getting their quotas and taking the rest of the day off.
BTW, wasn't there a SCPD sergeant that was home when he was supposed to be supervising his crew on the LIE?
Yeah,Well they did an outstanding job locking up your son in law,who WAS a SCPD cop that helped his friends committ burglaries while he was on duty..
Eric

United States

#42 Oct 22, 2008
The LIE is doing just fine. The decreased "patrols" have not led to an increase in collision rates and traffic seems to be moving at a faster pace during rush hour. There's been a decrease in rubber-neckers and fearful speeders slamming on their brakes when they see a SCPD unit hiding in the bushes and creating traffic jams behind them. Enough with the police unions promoting their own self-interests. Save the community and taxpayers some money and decrease the size of the police force.
john310

Brooklyn, NY

#43 Oct 22, 2008
The Gov. of NYS, 2 congressmen, a bunch of other political leaders, and the police union are all wrong and YOU'Re right?
Don't allow your ego endanger my and my familie's welfare,

Since: May 07

Patchogue, NY

#44 Oct 22, 2008
Aodh wrote:
DiMarco's spokesman, Chief Michael Sharkey, said deputy sheriffs are "doing a fine job" patrolling the LIE and Sunrise Highway.
One of the questions I have is what the hell were these deputies doing before Levy put them on the LIE?
I totally back Levy is saying the state should pay or patrol the LIE but what he is doing is wrong. He is putting politics before the safety of the people. Deputies in Suffolk, as far as I am aware, were used to transport prisoners, serve subpoenas, or perform other mostly civil duties. The are not seasoned or experienced police officers.
I believe that more then 70% are transfers more other police departments, the biggest being NYPD. That sounds like a lot of seasoned officers to me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Melville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) 7 hr Bruser 2,419
News Cutting of pastor's role called 'vindictive' (Oct '08) 7 hr Bruser 7,986
News Town of Hempstead unveils mobile surgical van f... 11 hr kncrl 1
Tarrantino murder Wed released 2
News Theresa Maniaci-Canni, left, and George (Nov '09) Wed Gene 20
News Rosie reigns supreme at Huntington book event - (Oct '07) Wed Diana 79
News Hempstead town hit with racketeering lawsuit (Aug '07) Tue Resident 81
Melville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web