Congressmen: put police patrollers back on LIE

Full story: Newsday

Suffolk County is better off with police officers patrolling Sunrise Highway and the Long Island Expressway than with deputy sheriffs, the county's Democratic congressmen said yesterday.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of175
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
safety

Englewood, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2008

Judged:

Hey Levy, Too bad the SCPD was funded through grants for the most part. You're lying to the public and funny i drive the highway and rarely see a Sheriff on it. Except maybe when they get stuck in the mud in the median or stopping halfway in the left hand lane on the LIE because they don't know what they are doing.
actually -

East Hampton, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2008

Judged:

I think the Sheriff's Dept is doing a FINE job... I see them all the time right by exit 51... I think the SCPD needs to stop whining. If it saves us money in the long run, let's all shut up about it.
Payback

West New York, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2008

Judged:

The sheriffs union was the only union to support Levy. This is there payback. Now when they go to arbitration they will get a raise and Levy can blame the arbitrator.Ofcourse the Taxpayers get screwed again . Levy has become what he has complained about his whole life.A Repulican.
PETEF

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2008

Judged:

The only time u see scpd is between 53 and 55. then u may see them past 56,usually in the HOV lane with their radar guns picking off speeders. You also see many of them talking car to car to car - many times three cars together. Yes, they are doing an outstanding job.

Why don't you see NCPD in the HOV lanes picking off speeders and HOV violators? Because they are out there patrolling the LIE and not doing it the easy way getting their quotas and taking the rest of the day off.

BTW, wasn't there a SCPD sergeant that was home when he was supposed to be supervising his crew on the LIE?
Cynical

Medford, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2008

Judged:

The Suffolk Police were an absentee force on the LIE. Their only interest here is their overtime. The Sheriffs are doing a much better job and you can actually see their presense on the LIE.
This is all aout overtime money.
Wyatt Earp

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2008

Judged:

If Sherrifs are patrolling the LIE then who is doing the Sherrif's work in Suffolk? Why do we need another police beauracracy in Suffolk? Get rid of the head sherrif and consolidate the 2 departments.
Clear Vision

West Babylon, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2008

Judged:

Dear democrat Congressmen, shut your yap's

Do less with less. Cut the budget.
mike

Rockville Centre, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2008

Judged:

The district court job and inmate transport should be Correction Officers duties like every other Department in this country.Talk about saving money.We earn the least out of the three departments and we are without a contract for 5 YEARS
john rotten

Newark, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2008

Judged:

i didnt know tim bishop had a thought on anything? just followed the party line. oh wait elections in 2 weeks. must have thought it would help him. cant wait for that loser to go down in 2 weeks. vote zeldin
jsd

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2008

Judged:

Wow, it must be election time. I guess there are more Suffolk County PD votes out there then there are Suffolk County Sheriffs.
BTW, what happened to the death, destruction, and carnage that was supposed to ensue when the SCPD was replaced by the Sheriff's office on the L.I.E.?
Danielle

Carmel, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2008

Judged:

Why wont they just say what they mean... they pulled Suffolk county cops because the county is tired of paying their overtime when they go to Suffolk TVB... Just in case no one knows when you get a traffic ticket in Suffolk county your officer WILL SHOW UP because he gets paid overtime to go... the money made in TVB is sent to the state not the county.. so Suffolk pays cops we get tickets we pay TVB our money goes to the state of NY but that money never seems to get back to Suffolk county.. Change the TVB court system to how Nassau is set up and you would save a lot of tax payers $$
just a thought

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2008

Judged:

Levy is going to save us all money. Next big idea. No more welfare. That will save us 50% on the county tax bill!
break the pba

Norwalk, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2008

Judged:

i saw an accident the other day on the LIE and amazingly the sherriffs were able to stop the traffic and clear it up.

break the union now! we dont need to pay cops 100 grand to patrol areas like st james and stony brook! stop hiring police and gradually phase these leeches out!
tell the truth

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2008

Judged:

-how many more deputys will need to be hired?
-how much overtime has putting the sheriffs on the highways created?
-how much will the new equipment for the sheriffs will be needed?
-How much did all the extra training that highway patrol received over the past may years cost?
-How much will that same training cost to train the sheriffs?
-What happened to Steve Levy that he hates the police?
bill

Watertown, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2008

Judged:

Danielle wrote:
Why wont they just say what they mean... they pulled Suffolk county cops because the county is tired of paying their overtime when they go to Suffolk TVB... Just in case no one knows when you get a traffic ticket in Suffolk county your officer WILL SHOW UP because he gets paid overtime to go... the money made in TVB is sent to the state not the county.. so Suffolk pays cops we get tickets we pay TVB our money goes to the state of NY but that money never seems to get back to Suffolk county.. Change the TVB court system to how Nassau is set up and you would save a lot of tax payers $$
Your view is whats wrong with the entire state of policing in NEw York. Their functionis supposed to be enforce laws to create a safe enviroment. Instead it has become a revenue scam by municipalities. I do not miss the Highway patrol one bit. Today two nassau cars had traffic backed up for miles while they issued summonses during rush hour. I say take them off the highway as well.
tell the truth

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2008

Judged:

- since the sheriffs took over how many tickets and arrests have they made on the highway?
-How many tickets and arrests did the highway patrol bureau make during the same time last year?
-How much has the average speed risen on the highway since the sheriffs took over?
-Experience cannot be measured in dollars and cents and is completely overlooked by a persuasive bean counter with political motives. It is the experience that matters when it comes to safety, enforcement and punishing the violators in court
Shut up Steve

North Babylon, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2008

Judged:

You have now bashed everyone from Congress to the Governor.
I guess Suffolk County will never get any help from the Feds.
YOU ARE A DISGRACE.
Run262

Pearl River, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2008

Judged:

bill wrote:
<quoted text> Your view is whats wrong with the entire state of policing in NEw York. Their functionis supposed to be enforce laws to create a safe enviroment. Instead it has become a revenue scam by municipalities. I do not miss the Highway patrol one bit. Today two nassau cars had traffic backed up for miles while they issued summonses during rush hour. I say take them off the highway as well.
Suffolk County leads the state in fatal car accidents. The experts say a reduction in crashes are the result of traffic enforcement.
Run262

Pearl River, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2008

Judged:

Danielle wrote:
You are stupid. SCPD goes to traffic court on straight time.The midnights are offered overtime if there's 5 separarte motorists sitting there waiting for a hearing.

Stop guessing and providing innuendos or gossip.
Levy is on the money

Bridgeport, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2008

Judged:

Levy is right we need to get the State to take back the roads that they plow, clean, and pave. It's funny how the State can have all state employees taken care of these two controlled access highways as they do all of the others in this state, but they make the County patroll them at the county taxpayers expense. Why do we here on long island pay for the troopers in our state taxes to cover all these other controlled access highways in NY, but on long island we also have to pay the county police to do these two roads down here. Steve Levy is 100% right the state of new york should either patrol these two controlled access highways like they do all others or pay the county to do the job for them. If the SCPD PBA has a problem with this solution they should lobby the state to pay up.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of175
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

Melville News Video

•••
Melville Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Melville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••